Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Downside to 1x10 setup?

I am thinking about running my new Jet9 1x10 with an x.9 short cage.

Anyone have any strong feelings against this kind of setup? Are the tolerances for a 10sp drivetrain too narrow for XC riding?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loginhater
    I am thinking about running my new Jet9 1x10 with an x.9 short cage.

Anyone have any strong feelings against this kind of setup? Are the tolerances for a 10sp drivetrain too narrow for XC riding?

Thanks in advance.
    I'm running an 32t E-thirteen chainring, XTR crank arms and XTR mid cage rear derailleur. I love it but it definitely feels like I'm missing something sometimes.

It really depends on where you ride. I live in FL so we just have a lot of singletrack so it somewhat works. In all honesty though I think I'm going to switch to a XX 2x10. I think it will give me that little bit more I'm looking for. I recommend you try it out if possible. It might sound crazy but maybe someone on the trail might have it and let you take a spin on their bike

mtbr member
    Seems I'm the only one with chain line offset issues.
    Last edited by jimbowho; 12-16-2010 at 11:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've thought about it since trying the 9 speed 36t cassette because I use the middle ring now about 90 percent of the time. It would barely be an adequate gear range for riding in the mountains though, and on some climbs it would kick my ass. You feel like a dork when you have to get off to push the bike. If you don't ride in the mountains or do ride on roads occasionally your gearing would be far too slow.. The weight and maintenance savings is negligible.

I'd like to try the narrower Q factor of the new 20 speed crank sets though so will eventually go that route
    Last edited by esXso; 11-20-2010 at 02:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Haven't I read somewhere that it's problematic to run a short cage der. with a 36T cassette?

Trail Junkie
    You cannot run a short cage with a 36T cassette. A medium cage will clear a 36T, that is currently what I am running on my 2x10.

The short cages are for hybrid setups which involve road cassettes or downhill cassette. The application for this is for racing, downhill, or cyclo-cross. The short cage might clear a 11-32 10speed cassette, but I cannot confirm this.

What tolerances are you speaking about? Like Q-factor for running the big ring closer in to the BB, or tolerences with the R/D clearing the cassette? For moving the ring closer to the BB, you might want to check with Niner to see what will clear. For my Santa Cruz, it will accept a 42/28, but only with a 166Q Factor, but all SRAM X groups are 166Q besides the optional 156Q available on the XX.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver
    You cannot run a short cage with a 36T cassette. A medium cage will clear a 36T, that is currently what I am running on my 2x10.

The short cages are for hybrid setups which involve road cassettes or downhill cassette. The application for this is for racing, downhill, or cyclo-cross. The short cage might clear a 11-32 10speed cassette, but I cannot confirm this.
    Cage length has nothing to do with how big of a sprocket the guide pulley can clear. There are plenty of short cage mountain rear deraillers that are designed to accept 32 and 34t max sprockets.

That being said I'm not sure if there are short cage rear deraillers that fit a 36t, but if you're doing a 1x setup, chain length can be changed to accommodate a larger max sprocket

Trail Junkie
    You are right, cage length has nothing to do with it, but the 2x10 R/Ds have a lower tollerance of what they accept, and the guide pully most likely won't clear the 36T based on the tollerances that the medium cage has. I already spoke to SRAM on this issue when trying to determine the R/D for my bike. They wanted me to get a long cage, but said the medium would clear, but definitely not the small on a 11-36T cassette.

I am happy I went with the medium cage because the PC-1091R only comes int 114 links and barely had enough links to work, but i am running XX 11-36 and X9 28/42 crankset. A 39T may have a every so slightly more wiggle room, or you will have to go with a PC-1071 chain w/ 120 links depending on the length of your chainline and Chainring combo. I think the JET 9 chainstays are around 17.8in. or something close to that..so if he plans on running a 1091R chain, he will have to use a 39T w/ a medium cage.

I know I kind of went off topic a little bit, but it is relevant in the basis of him configuring it properly for his setup.

My personal feelings are that he should just leave it 2x10 for the few times when he actually needs bailout gears since it is only a savings of maybe less than 200g or a Clif Bar.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

I wonder where people get this stuff sometimes. Cage length has nothing to do with it. The diff b/w an XO short/med/long cage for example is the length of the cage, that's it.

Check the OEM specs, it works. Just don't try a stock road short cage and a 36 (maybe an Apex).

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain

kpd
    mtbr member
    Completely depends on the race. A 1x10 gives you plenty of range for lots of courses, but it can be a real handicap on others.

Leg Shaver
    Quote Originally Posted by Slurry
    Cage length has nothing to do with how big of a sprocket the guide pulley can clear. There are plenty of short cage mountain rear deraillers that are designed to accept 32 and 34t max sprockets.

That being said I'm not sure if there are short cage rear deraillers that fit a 36t, but if you're doing a 1x setup, chain length can be changed to accommodate a larger max sprocket

I run 1x9 with a 34 front and 36 rear. I use a mid cage xtr and it is at is absolute max in the 36. T o the point that it will wear prematurely. So along with your thoughts I would suggest that the short cage is pushing it. IMHO also, cage length does not necessarily translate to chain tension. Some assume short is better just because

chain length is tricky for me. I feel like I am one link short but put it in and boom I am slapping all to hell in the higher gears and back pedaling suck the chain now and again

I have no experience with 1x10 so I can not comment
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    ...but the 2x10 R/Ds have a lower tollerance of what they accept
    There is no such thing as a 2x10 rear derailleur nor is there any 10s SRAM MTB RD that won't clear a 36T cassette nor would SRAM say otherwise.

I use 1x10 on a Jet with a Rotor 3D double crank. It provides 74/104 BCD 5 bolt and the inner ring results in a perfect 44mm chainline. Because it is 74 BCD you can run 24-30T easily. Good solution unless you need a big chainring.

mtbr member

Running new 1X10

I just changed my SS to a 1x10 for winter riding, X-9 shiter and med. cage der., 11-36 X-0 cassette.
    I was looking for a few easier gears as riding in the snow requires a bit more spin for me.
    I've just finished 2 rides with this set up since Thursday, although very little snow.
    I like the way it behaves, I like a few easier gears for long climbs, I never lost the chain once on rocky, fast riding.
    But I did look down at one point to try and figure out what this weird noise was ... duh ... you can get chain slap when the bike is not set up SS
    But that is easily dealt with.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Trail Junkie
    SRAM rear derailleurs have a slightly higher capacity for what rings they will accept. I have just enough room w/ my mid cage and a 11-36 where it works normal (about 3/16" gap). Cage length does have a bit to do with chain tension, but that is based on having the correct number of links. If you have too many links, of course you are going to run into chain tension problems.

I don't have experience with 1x10, but I have set up and installed 3 different versions of 2x10/3x10 already on my bike and friend's bikes...this does not include road 10 either. We all had different equipment, 2 SRAM, 1 Shimano. I am not going into a pissing match about which system is better, but I am more confident in setting up SRAM equipment than I am Shimano. Its almost always right the first time.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    1x is fine if you are prepared to sacrifice some of your usable gears - typically, your lows aren't as low, and your highs aren't as high. So, if you ride almost everywhere in your "middle" gears, go for it.

I was 1x9 then 1x10 for the past race season, and while I could ride everything fine I would have been faster at times with a lower or higher gear to use. I've subsequently gone back to 2x9, and love it. I spend a lot of time in the larger chainring, but find the small ring great for certain situations. From memory the weight "penalty" is about 350g at XTR level (Shifter, cable/outer, front mech, chainrings) but I'll take the extra weight any day, in exchange for more usable gears.

But again, if you're somewhere relatively flat I'd go for the 1x - it is lighter, and eliminates front shifting, so is nice and simple to use.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by monolith
    1x is fine if you are prepared to sacrifice some of your usable gears...

...I was 1x9 then 1x10 for the past race season, and while I could ride everything fine I would have been faster at times with a lower or higher gear to use. I've subsequently gone back to 2x9, and love it. I spend a lot of time in the larger chainring, but find the small ring great for certain situations...
    This.

I actually ride 2X8 on my 29'er and I also love it. Nothing is worse than to go ride the trails you usually don't ride to find that the small ring would be nice to have.

I also don't like cross chain'ing. On my CX bike, I run 1x8, but I've given my chain two extra links to keep it from binding so bad.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm planning on upgrading my Specialized Stumpjumper FSR with a SRAM XX drivetrain. Like you, SRAM recommended that I go with a long cage RD. I'm very hesitant to go with a long cage, because I'm afraid of sloppy shifting. BTW, do you ride a full suspension or hard tail?

fnInt(1/x^2,x,0,1)
    1x10 on my Tallboy using an MRP 38t ring, MRP XC BB mounted chain guide, and all other XX running gear (but M970 cranks).

No problems whatsoever, never dropped a chain. My usual objective is to get from point A to point B as fast as possible, so never dropping a chain is important to me. This setup has been quite dependable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    i run a 34t up front and find it pretty hard to spin out on my local trails. If I were to race flatter trails (which we don't have many here) I'd run a 36t up front.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Late to the party here (as usual) but for me, the only downside to 1 x 10 gearing is the lack of low gears, as well as the lack of high gears.

Otherwise, a perfect idea.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I don't run a full suspension bike so I'm only guessing here, but I'd think a short cage with 11-36t wouldn't leave you enough margin for increased chain length when the suspension compresses.

loud hubs save lives
    I have a TNT sultan setup as 1x9 with 11-34 X 30T and i think its right around the max my short cage X9 can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by car_nut
    I don't run a full suspension bike so I'm only guessing here, but I'd think a short cage with 11-36t wouldn't leave you enough margin for increased chain length when the suspension compresses.

I'm Slow
    I have a x9 2x10 setup. I live of the gulf coast, its pretty flat, so I only use my big ring up front, I like having the small ring there just in case it does get steep, but it will hardly ever be used.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a EVO 29er with a 1x10 33 in front, 11-36 in back X0 short cage, e13 chain guide and it is a nice stock setup. Give it a go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I recently built up my new Jet 9 frame as a 1x9 and have been racing in the local marathon series (my last hard tail was also built up as a 1x9) in the Open class. I live in the TX hill country so there are some decent climbs, but no mountain ranges are out here. I can say I rarely miss the granny gear, and never miss the big ring. I am running a 32t front with 11/34 rear and can spin up to 25mph without too much fuss, and 30mph if I HAVE to. That said, you'll never reach those speeds on a real trail save for long open descents and even then you probably aren't needing to pedal anyway. The only time I miss the granny is on 50+ mile races where it'd be nice to spin and recover a bit while climbing. Even then, it takes a nasty hill to make me miss the granny. Once I get a little stronger I plan on moving to a 34t front.

I can only imagine a 1x10 would be even better. That would allow me to go to a 36t front w/ 11/36 rear. That would give me about 90% of the gear range of a double. If you think 10 gears isn't enough, just think about all the guys out there on single speeds that can smoke you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast