mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Doing my first bike build.. few questions

I'm not the most experienced rider.. I started out riding mtb last season and fell in love. I had a Trek 8.3 and switched to some thicker tires for mtb.
    I've been drooling over the Foundry Broadaxe for a while now.. A few months ago I scored a deal on a Broadaxe 29er frame for $700. I've collected the majority of parts for the build off craigslist and ebay. (saving a lot of money this way) Even though its a semi budget build, I'm building up a bike that I want to use for years to come. So quality matters to me.

What I have-
    17" Foundry Broadaxe frame
    Rockshox Reba RLT 29 100mm travel 15mm through axle fork
    Sram XX brakeset, and crankset 26tx39t
    Sram XO Shifters
    Sram MTB BB92 Bottom Bracket
    Thompson elite stem, and seatpost
    Shimano XT Rear Derailleur RD-M780 10 speed long cage
    Salsa Bend 2 bars
    San Marco Ponza Power saddle

I have a Shimano XTR front derailleur lined up from a guy on CL for $65.. It's made for a 26tx38t crankset.. but I'm guessing it should work fine for me XX with one more tooth right? Or better suggestions?

Do you guys think a Shimano SLX CS-HG81-10 11-36 MTB cassette would be a solid choice with the RD I have? If I go that setup which chain should I go with?

Lastly I'm looking for a solid wheelset for this bike.. I'm 200lbs.. (down 85lbs, got 35lbs to go..)
    A guy offered me some Sun Ringle Blackfly 29er wheels for $400. Any thoughts on those?
    Or any better suggestions? I'm only wanting to spend around $400-$500 on a set. As light as I can go with my weight. Unless one thats kinda heavy is really worth it for quality! EA70's are tempting but I see some bad reviews on them..

Thanks ya'll
    -Ben

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    You found a Broadaxe carbon 29er frame for $700??? Where?

The SRAM XX brakes suck. Noisy and the reliability for your weight is scary. The cranks and other XX parts rock, though. Ringle Black Fly wheels are solid. SLX cassette is good, but SRAM PG-1070 works better with your parts group. Chain should be a Shimano Dura Ace 7900 or KMC X10SL.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member

Your X0 shifters will not work with your Shimano derailleurs. The only part of the drivetrain systems that aren't compatible across brands...
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    As mentioned above, mixing rear Derailleurs with different brand shifters doesn't work. I've heard of people using washers to make it work in some applications but meh.
    Front isn't much of an issue. I run shimano shifters with a sram FD. Granted its a 2x10 and there isn't a cable pull ratio per say up front, just "shoving" from one ring to the next and tuning limit screws. Yes, it will work.
    Those brakes are just blinged up Avids. Alot of people seem to dislike Their later products. Personally I think with different pads and rotors they aren't half bad. Love 'em or hate 'em.
    For the money your going to spend on wheels you may be able to score a hope/Stan's combo for the same price. Nothing wrong with the set you mentioned.

You could sell your XO shifters and pick up XT (maybe used XTR) for close to the same price. I've always been partial to Shimano but Sram cranks take the win. PF30/BB30 and not having to use an adapter to make it work.
    Livin' the dream.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    You found a Broadaxe carbon 29er frame for $700??? Where?
    Found it on CL from a guy who runs a promotion company. He got 2 free 17" frames for free.

Thanks for all the info!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks guys for the replies. Wish I would have known that about the shifters before I bought them.. would you guys recommend selling the triggers or derailleurs? Does one really out perform the other? Also are the XX brakes really that bad? I got them for $240.. Would it be worth selling those and trying to find some XT brakes instead?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by holocene View Post
    Thanks guys for the replies. Wish I would have known that about the shifters before I bought them.. would you guys recommend selling the triggers or derailleurs? Does one really out perform the other? Also are the XX brakes really that bad? I got them for $240.. Would it be worth selling those and trying to find some XT brakes instead?
    Yes...do it.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member

IMHO the only Sram brakes that even come close to XT are the X0 Trails. I love em, but XT are cheaper and probably a little bit better, so it's kind of a no brainer.

If you're going to go XT brakes, then go XT shifters, too, just for matchy matchy. There's really nothing between the X0 shifters and XT, except that with the XT you can release tension with your thumb or finger. I found that I used it when I had XT stuff, and transitioned to SRAM no problem when I get a new sram equipped bike.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It amazes me at how many people around here know like everything about bikes. I have been RIDING them for 10+ years, and have done some brake maintenance and adjustments etc.. But how so many of you are born bike mechanics is amazing and makes me feel stupid. I can tell you the best set of rims I ever owned was a set of machined Sun rims. 9 years without a broken spoke.. 9 years of riding over rocks, roots, and curbs.. Amazing. I don't think they were the lightest set, tbh.. But I will take what I got with them any day.