mtbr member
    May 2008

Does anyone run Kenda Karma (non UST) Tubeless

I am setting up my first 29er. LBS sold me Kenda Karma non UST tires to run tubless on my Mavic 29 Crossmax wheels.

I have never run tubless before - 0 experience with this.

After some messing around, I got the beads to lock and added latex sealer.

It seems that the sidewalls of these tires are full of small pin-holes. They eventually seal up, but if I put 40 - 50 psi in the tires, they start leaking again (ultimately re-seal).

How much tire pressure should I be running (tire is rated for 35-80 psi).

Will these tires work in this application or do I need to get somthing different.

Thanks!

Purveyor of Fine 29erness
    You might want to try using some Stan's sealant in there if you haven't already.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I added one of the small bottles (2 oz) of Stan's Sealer to each tire.

Rear tire held 30 psi overnight. I pumped it up to 40 psi this morning and a few of the sidewall pin holes opened up...

I will keep adding pressure/spinning the wheel and hope for the best.

Purveyor of Fine 29erness
    You'll need at least 2 of those bottles per tire. The Karmas are pretty porous and they will absorb a lot of the sealant.

elbow gloves
    They tend to leak a lot through the sidewalls initially but have faith, that once insides get coated in sealant and they set overnight, the tire works brilliantly. I've run through 3 pair of Karmas without issues.
    I run the tires in the 28-31psi range and weigh in at 175 and prefer sharp and rocky, technical southern arizona singletrack.
    "The rotary motion of the worm gives a rectilinear motion to the rack"
    http://mgindle.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I run tmine at 22-psi and I've run the Karmas for 2 years now tubeless and always add 2-scoops of sealant. Works like a charm and they are great tires. Mostly I run the 1.9s, but did run the 2.2s and added 3 scoops.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Madre's got about 500 race miles and a bajillion training miles on the 355/Karma set up. Never any issue or leaks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monkey
    You'll need at least 2 of those bottles per tire. The Karmas are pretty porous and they will absorb a lot of the sealant.
    I run 3 oz (1 1/2 bottles) per tire and I've set up a dozen or so sets of these over the last year and a half for fellow 29er riders. As others have mentioned, they will tend to leak a little at first then seal up nicely but you will still have to top off the air pressure every ride or two. I run around 25 lbs air pressure in the tires and I weigh 175. One more thing, you need to add Stan's every month or so to keep some liquid Stan's present in the tire for the small punctures/thorns etc to re-seal out on the trail. I typically add only 1 1/2 ounces for these "refreshing" doses of Stan's.
    Hope this helps.
    "It's all ball bearings"

CDB
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Using Stans 355 rim. I notice these tires seem to dry out a little faster than others. I noticed that you have to do the "shake and lay flat, wait, shake, lay flat other side" game, adding air several times, over a couple days, but they eventually seal up fine. I also use about 1.5-2 scoops per tire for these non-UST tires. The bead is tight and I am impressed. They are a bit thin but seem to be adequate for my riding. I run the 1.9's. I'm 170. Using about 25-28 psi. I agree about the "refill every 1-2 months" comment above. I just pulled off a tire the other day and was suprised to see how dry it was inside, though there was still enough sealant for thorns.

Last edited by CDB; 07-25-2008 at 10:37 AM.

Ride, Sleep, Work
    I ran mine tubeless for two years. I still run my 26er karmas tubeless, and yes I know this is the 29er forum.
    Click to save 15% off your 1st Hammer nutrition order
    http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/50110

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    All of the above is good advice; 1 other piece of advice that someone shared with me was this: coat the Stan's on the outside of the tire (yes, the outside); just pour a little bit to create a puddle at the rim; tip the wheel to create a puddle that will cover the entire cloth-like section of the bead; then rotate the wheel several times to allow the Stan's to reach this cloth-like section around the entire wheel (i.e. rotate so that the puddle moves to cover the entire cloth-like section). Flip the wheel to the other side and repeat. This is not fun, but it works.

Also, do not inflate over 40 psi when trying to get these to seal; doing so seems to cause them to drop major pressure over the course of a few hours and sometimes unseat. Instead, aim for 25-35 psi and keep adding air to maintain this pressure.

Kendas are tough to seal, but they will seal.