Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Do you listen to music while Mountain Biking

Do you listen to music while mountain biking ?

Would you like to listen to music while mountain biking ?

What do you do now to listen to music while mountain biking ?

What do you want from a product to to let you listen to music while mountain biking ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TBEARZ View Post

What do you want from a product to to let you listen to music while mountain biking ?
    No. No. Nothing. Nothing, zip, zero, nada.

The whole reason I mountain bike is to get away from civilisation. I don't want to be called, texted, notified, spammed, paged, faxed, messaged, tweeted or "liked".

I love music as much as anyone, but can we just have a break from mobile communication devices for a few minutes? Please?

mtbr member
    Yes, but only 29er specific

mtbr member
    The only time you should listen to music while mountain biking, in my opinion, is if you have a completely private place to ride, where you're guaranteed to never see another soul, because no one else will ever be there. Because you won't need to hear someone over taking you, you won't need to hear someone coming down a descent that you're climbing so you at least know they are there before they come whipping around a corner (I know, the SHOULD yield to you, but we should all maintain complete control of our bikes at all times too, right?) and lastly, the one thing you never want to have to hear, but may be glad you did, the person who went riding by themselves, and went off the trail and hurt themselves, calling out for help because they can hear you.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    I love listening to music, but while on a trail I like to be aware of my surroundings. Hearing is a great way to tell what is coming and roughly how far away that object is, (usually another biker). If you cannot hear the biker coming, and if he is screaming down a hill that you are climbing, you will not move out of the way until you see him, which may be too late. Listening for things in the woods calms me, so that is another reason why I do not listen to music while riding.
    And by the way, this thread should be in the "General" or "Passion" sections, not "29er Bikes".
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

mtbr member
    Yes, I listen to music but only in one ear at a low volume. I can hear someone coming up behind me or towards me on the trail, never had a problem related to listening to a little music while riding. I've noticed many other riders on our trails listen to music, no big deal to me. Just be responsible and respectful of others and everyone will have a good ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Covered well above. One ear, low volume, seems to be the max acceptable, if there is ANY chance of encountering ANY other trail user.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Personally, I don't listen to music while riding or walking, just to be aware of my surroundings, but if you are gonna listen to music, don't use ear buds. They are designed to block out noise. Use one of those ear phones, at low volume.

Also, I don't know about others, but I find listening to music with just one ear tends to throw out my balance. I don't know how that'll affect me on a bike, but at least that's the case when I'm on a treadmill.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    50/50.

I use 1 Stereo-to-mono earphone. You can hear and are aware of your surroundings.

Amazon.com : XDU Stereo-to-mono Noise Isolating Earphone - Fabric-wrapped Cord : Electronics

mtbr member
    Nope. Only recently did I start the one ear low volume when getting to the trails.
    I get annoyed by bikers , hikers , joggers who have both ears and music up. Its really presumptuous.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    A mix tape of Matchbox Twenty and Nine Inch Nails

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by TBEARZ View Post

Answers in order of questions:

No!
    No!
    I listen to the music of nature: birds, deer, bear, the wind, approaching storms, etc..

I wouldn't mind a product that announced my approach to bears on the trail. I've stopped riding solo on the local trails because of a recent bear encounter. If I had been listening to tunes with earbuds, I would have most certainly run right into a mother bear & her cubs.

Further editorializing on trail-tunes topic:
    I can't think of any good reason to ride with any kind of headset or earbuds on the trails (or roads for that matter). I think you need to be aware of your surroundings while riding. If you find riding without tunes to be too boring, you are in the wrong sport. Go find a stationary bike at a gym or put your bike on a trainer in your basement & listen to tunes there. Don't become a hazard to yourself or others.
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member

Rick Astley cranked. "Never gonna give you up...."
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

Happy Trails

No.

MTB Fanatic
    No, I don't.

I'd be interested in a product that mutes the music of others who are blasting it while riding their bikes. Noise pollution. I have no problem if you want to listen to your headphones, though.
    Nathan

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by 853guy View Post

The whole reason I mountain bike is to get away from civilisation. I don't want to be called, texted, notified, spammed, paged, faxed, messaged, tweeted or "liked".

I love music as much as anyone, but can we just have a break from mobile communication devices for a few minutes? Please?
    Winner.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by burtronix View Post
    I wouldn't mind a product that announced my approach to bears on the trail. I've stopped riding solo on the local trails because of a recent bear encounter. If I had been listening to tunes with earbuds, I would have most certainly run right into a mother bear & her cubs.
    I saw a half eaten deer leg on a trail couple weeks ago, and as I remembered about big cat sightings at the park, I heard bushes moving above the cliff, about 10 feet above where I was. I'd never bothered to go fast on my single speed until that day. lol.
    Last edited by 4nbstd; 07-03-2013 at 06:45 AM.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I listen to audiobooks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Runs counter to why I'm out there.

I will however do so often while roadbiking. Doesn't make much sense in the name of safety as a car is much more apt to run my flat than a deer, but there it is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Nobody seemed to notice that only spammers post this far off topic except Bonesetter2004 and MTBeing.
    You guys win 1 internets each!

mtbr member
    Okay, I'll be the bad guy - YES. Both ears. Volume at 11. Really. I like the music loud. I've been riding bikes for 40+ years. I've been riding a mountain bike for 20+ years. I don't need to hear nature to detach, engage and enjoy. Loud music lets me disconnect from everything else and just ride.

^That^ said, I do have the iPod (little Shuffle) mounted to my visor, earbuds wired into the helmet, so I can FF, RW or pause the music easier than grabbing a bottle. I am very aware of anyone coming up behind me.

The only downside: I miss it when racing. It's not permitted, and I probably wouldn't do it if it were legal - too much communication needed with other riders.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride are usually slow.
    Roadies who don't mountain bike are usually d***s.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    No.

trail rat
    The local mountain lions have learned that bikers / hikers with ear buds are easy prey, and true Darwin Award candidates.
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 853guy View Post

+100000000
    12' Horsethief
    12' st-3
    96' Killer v

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    All the time. It makes riding more fun, motivates uphill. If you look out for the other people and the traffic enough I don't think it would be a problem. If you don't want to be called by anybody turn on airplane mode and that's it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast