mtbr member

New question here. Do Boost 29ers 148mm accept 150mm hubs & Are those 15x110 hubs cmpatible with 20x110?

Hi
    Are those 2mm on the hubs tolerable due to frame flex?
    Why haven't those hubs been made just lighter versions of existing 150mm dh hubs?

Which forks and hubs are 20x110mm ready/compatible?

ps. I would like you to give me negative comment for the red chicklet thing to be darker red tint or something, but the thread is serious, just the repuation thing istn't.

Moderator Moderator
    148 to 150: nope, it's a snug fir

20 x 110? Its 15 x 110mm and Rockshox, Fox and Manitou definately make forks. Hope and Sram definately make hubs.

https://www.sram.com/rockshox/technologies/boost

Having just got a bike that's boosted I'm a total convert, wheels are stiffer, bike feels better

Cactus Cuddler
    Nope, and I'm still trying to figure out which you'd be installing - I'm assuming a 20x110 front hub?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The 150 hub still has the old distance between the flanges. But the brake rotor is mounted out away from the flange. It may not line up exactly with the caliper without some adjusting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I have a huge doubt on this subject.
    To a boost 148/110 bike, what's the right/best option to the front hub? 15/110 or 20/110?
    I'm looking at Stan's ZTR website and some models, like Arch Ex, have both options, and other models have only 15/110...

This is really confusing to me. So many options. And what's the point in use a boost fork, but mount a less stiff hub?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm wondering the same thing. surly Gnot boost dropouts expect you to flex the frame a few milimeters to accomodate 142 to 148 with no spacers. 150 should work fine if youre willing to maybe respace caliper. But I'm just speculating, haven't held it in my hand.

mtbr member
    The brake rotor will be in the wrong place in both instances even if you get them to fit.
    Supply Side Jesusnomisist

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    148 hubs are really 141 + 7mm (just like 142's are really 135 + 7mm).

Theres a 3.5mm recess on each dropout that the hub axle fits into. If I remember right, the diameter of the axle is 19mm.

150mm hubs do not fit into anything, so usually the diameter will be bigger than 19mm, which is the first reason it wont fit.

For some reason you find a hub with 19mm axle ends, and you stretch the frame 2mm (which wouldn't really matter) your cassette and disc will each be 3.5mm to closer to the dropouts. It's not really possible to space the caliper further out, and the cassette will most likely hit the dropout.

So, no, it won't work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MCunha View Post
    This is really confusing to me. So many options. And what's the point in use a boost fork, but mount a less stiff hub?

Thanks in advance.
    Boost is a pointless pain in the ass.

All they did was widen the rear dropouts 6mm, and push the chain line out 3mm so people can run 3.25" tires without the chain hitting the tire.

Great, well 2017 is half way over, and the "new" thing is 2.6" tires, which fit the good old 135/142 rear ends with 50mm chain lines. So do 2.8's and 3.0's

On the front they added 10mm to the dropout spacing to create more room in the fork. I hate this less than the rear boost, but they could have cast the lower wider with the dropouts at 100mm. Of course, you wouldn't need to buy new wheels if they did that.

The wider hub flange spacing and a stiffer wheel is pure marketing. Do you honestly think that you can feel a difference with a 6mm wider hub, and to top that do you think you can still feel the difference in wheel stiffness when you put a 3.25" wide tire on it at 10psi?

mtbr member
    Boost brings better bracing angles to wheels, so it is actually more than "pure marketing". Pivot has brought out Boost + for even stronger wheels and more tire clearance with ultra short chain stays.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Sure, on paper its "stiffer".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Boost brings better bracing angles to wheels, so it is actually more than "pure marketing". Pivot has brought out Boost + for even stronger wheels and more tire clearance with ultra short chain stays.
    True, the wheels can be stiffer, but the frame and fork have more flex with Boost.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    True, the wheels can be stiffer, but the frame and fork have more flex with Boost.

Seriously?

mtbr member
    Seriously?
    Yea, you can't make an thru axle longer and stiffer (without increasing the diameter), simple physics.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    Yea, you can't make an thru axle longer and stiffer (without increasing the diameter), simple physics.

That has absolutely nothing to do with frame stiffness, physics. You simply design for it. Broad generalizations don't contribute to an accurate exchange of solid info and I usually just ignore people that use them as fodder.

mtbr member
    That has absolutely nothing to do with frame stiffness, physics.
    Lol, if everything remains the same, material and such, a narrower front fork and narrower rear spaced frame will be stiffer every time. Now the wheels with Boost probably more then make up for the lesser stiffness of the frame and fork, which in turn creates a stiffer overall platform. But how much over before boost, who knows. If you notice all the MFG's tout wheel stiffness and never speak about what just happened to everything else, watch this hand while I do this over here and that will cost 4K.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    It doesn't matter. Leave the engineering and physics aside.

The rider, on the bike, on the trail will NEVER notice the difference between 2 identical bikes with the only difference being boost spacing and boost hubs. NEVER.

Keep buying into every little new standard, keep shelling out the money.

Bicycle technology has pretty much plateaued, and they are grasping at straws to get you to empty your wallet.

Next year super boost will be too wide and 151.7mm rear spacing will be released.