Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

"Do it all" aggressive 29er, so many choices!

Jeffsy, Riot, Switchblade, Hightower, Mojo3, Trail Pistol, and the list goes on and on...

Wanted: 29 semi plus, 27 +, adjustable rear suspension, short st for 150mm dropper, active suspension that works well under braking, 130-150 travel, angleset compatible, 66 hta, 74-75 sta, short cs, 1x.

Kinda wants: Red color, not as heavy or as wide or as long as the Mutz.

Replacing: Foes Mutz, 66hta, 72sta, 140mm/140mm travel, 27+/26 fat/mixxer.

Today I'm stuck between the Riot, the Switchblade, the Trail Pistol, and the Jeffsy, each for different reasons.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Add the new Treks. After trying so many bikes last year their "Reaktiv" shock totally impressed me and I got a Remedy. This past week I tried the new 29 and Plus Fuel EX and loved the same formula with nice updates.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Slash 29. Done.

EVIL Following
    Yeti
    SB-66A

Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    A good time to be in the market for such a type of bicycle

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    And a 13.5" bb, at least having the option in "trail mode".

So is travel necessary, what I mean is bikes like the Process 111, not much travel, but good geo, the GG Trail Pistol has 120 out back, them bumping up into the 130-140 range is the Slash, Riot, Evil, etc...

Is 120 enough for occassional use in the park, what about getting roudy on the trail? I run 140 now and I use it all.

Anyone have ride impressions on multiple bikes, specifically on suspension feel and response. I like how my single pivot Foes feels at speed and off jumps, but under hard braking it suffers and low speed riding is a bit harsh and bouncy.

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    May 2010
    I'm building a Trail Pistol. 130 fork and 120 out back. I don't think I would use it at a bike park, unless you like going fast and stay away from the WC type rock gardens and big drops.

The TP looks to be very versatile and could be configured more aggressive or more racy depending on use. Guerrilla Gravity is great to work with, I've been on a Megatrail for nearly 2 years and love it.

Like PUNKY said, its a good time to be in the market, lots of good choices. The nice thing about GG is the ability to really tweek your build to suit your personal needs as opposed to what another manufacturer thinks you should be riding.

Brand Ambassador Moderator
    There are more coming out VERY soon. I'd wait a couple of months before making a decision. Seriously.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Can you give any details on that JCWages?

Cactus Cuddler
    Likely not, due to press embargoes - but the wave of 130-150mm travel 29ers which are incidentally capable of running 2.8x27" tires and are based on the longer front center concepts is just now starting to arrive.

In just the FSR/Horst link option sets: StumpjumperFSR, RockyMountain Instinct, YT Jeffsy, Rose Root Milller Mk2, Scott Genius LT, Trek Remedy (2016), Trek Slash (2017), Nukeproof Mega, Niner Rip9 (2017) S Enduro29
    Dual link - SantaCruz Hightower, Intense Carbine [probably new one on the way], Pivot Switchblade, BMC SpeedFox, Pole Evolink, Canfield Riot

Since I'm on the theme of not helping at all, also consider that this list will double in size over the next 24 months really; and this is deliberately avoiding bikes which lack clearance for any 27+ options (Yeti's SB5.5c, Evil Wreckoning, Ninwer WFO (2016), others). Yeah...

I'd figure out which geometry setup really works for how you want to use it (I'd be on a Canfield right now, but the really short chainstays may not work for how I like riding my monster truck, namely being terrible in tight switchbacks, but going full gas on open flowy, and chunky stuff - also climbing through brute force not finesse). Jeffsy looks good, but it specced like a burly trail bike, less so a true all mountain monster. If YT-USA or YT in general can cobble together a Pro Race spec (160mm Fox36, FloatX/X2 shock, DT XM481 based wheels, RaceFace Atlas/SixC and Renthal parts) then I'd happily hop on that wait list - as it is now the wait for those is huge. Switchblade looks seriously awesome, and flexible, but finding hubs short term will stink (especially since I'm hoping to share wheelsets with a carbon hardtail), and cost is big on full builds too.
    I really want to throw a leg over a TrailPistol, although half of what I'd be looking into is doing a custom long-shock iteration of it in 135-140mm travel moving to a SRAM Deluxe-Trunnion setup, and machining a linkage to make it work.

So for now, I'm just keeping a running collection of geometry sheets, some notional parts builds (drivetrains, brakes, wheels, tire combos) -- and as new bikes are announced and released, I keep adding them on.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    And a 13.5" bb, at least having the option in "trail mode".

So is travel necessary, what I mean is bikes like the Process 111, not much travel, but good geo, the GG Trail Pistol has 120 out back, them bumping up into the 130-140 range is the Slash, Riot, Evil, etc...

Is 120 enough for occassional use in the park, what about getting roudy on the trail? I run 140 now and I use it all.

Anyone have ride impressions on multiple bikes, specifically on suspension feel and response. I like how my single pivot Foes feels at speed and off jumps, but under hard braking it suffers and low speed riding is a bit harsh and bouncy.
    As far as bike park usage, it comes down to what you're looking to do. If your goal is pounding double black technical trails all day, it wouldn't be the best choice. But if it's more akin to hitting the same roughness that you'd normally do on a trail ride, but multiple descents in a day, you'd be fine.
    120 is definitely enough for getting rowdy on the trail. We did a big ride yesterday with some steep, technical descents above treeline followed by blown out loose Jeep trail.

Let me know if you have any other Trail Pistol questions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    As far as bike park usage, it comes down to what you're looking to do. If your goal is pounding double black technical trails all day, it wouldn't be the best choice. But if it's more akin to hitting the same roughness that you'd normally do on a trail ride, but multiple descents in a day, you'd be fine.
    120 is definitely enough for getting rowdy on the trail. We did a big ride yesterday with some steep, technical descents above treeline followed by blown out loose Jeep trail.

Not that my vote counts, but I am riding a new SC Hightower 29 and love the bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Slash 29. Done.
    Yeti SB5.5c DONE !
    16' SB6c Green
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    15' SB5c Raw
    14' ARCc Raw

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post

Can you make it 140mm rear travel?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tehllama View Post
    Likely not, due to press embargoes - but the wave of 130-150mm travel 29ers which are incidentally capable of running 2.8x27" tires and are based on the longer front center concepts is just now starting to arrive.

In just the FSR/Horst link option sets: StumpjumperFSR, RockyMountain Instinct, YT Jeffsy, Rose Root Milller Mk2, Scott Genius LT, Trek Remedy (2016), Trek Slash (2017), Nukeproof Mega, Niner Rip9 (2017) S Enduro29
    Dual link - SantaCruz Hightower, Intense Carbine [probably new one on the way], Pivot Switchblade, BMC SpeedFox, Pole Evolink, Canfield Riot

Since I'm on the theme of not helping at all, also consider that this list will double in size over the next 24 months really; and this is deliberately avoiding bikes which lack clearance for any 27+ options (Yeti's SB5.5c, Evil Wreckoning, Ninwer WFO (2016), others). Yeah...

I'd figure out which geometry setup really works for how you want to use it (I'd be on a Canfield right now, but the really short chainstays may not work for how I like riding my monster truck, namely being terrible in tight switchbacks, but going full gas on open flowy, and chunky stuff - also climbing through brute force not finesse). Jeffsy looks good, but it specced like a burly trail bike, less so a true all mountain monster. If YT-USA or YT in general can cobble together a Pro Race spec (160mm Fox36, FloatX/X2 shock, DT XM481 based wheels, RaceFace Atlas/SixC and Renthal parts) then I'd happily hop on that wait list - as it is now the wait for those is huge. Switchblade looks seriously awesome, and flexible, but finding hubs short term will stink (especially since I'm hoping to share wheelsets with a carbon hardtail), and cost is big on full builds too.
    I really want to throw a leg over a TrailPistol, although half of what I'd be looking into is doing a custom long-shock iteration of it in 135-140mm travel moving to a SRAM Deluxe-Trunnion setup, and machining a linkage to make it work.

So for now, I'm just keeping a running collection of geometry sheets, some notional parts builds (drivetrains, brakes, wheels, tire combos) -- and as new bikes are announced and released, I keep adding them on.
    Yes, I think the Switchblade is awesome, it's my first choice, hub thing aside, it clicks all the boxes. Nothing holds me back other than lack of frame only option.

I'm going to talk with Onyx Racing about a 157 boost hub.

The GG mantra is cool, I would totally drink the kool-aid but 120mm rear travel is a no go. I could see the Trail Pistol as a quiver bike alongside a bigger hit 27+, but for me it's not a do it all bike...but if they made a long travel version I'd sign on the dotted line.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    and not to get crucified by the Canfield thought police, but a Riot would already be parked in my garage if the rear could accept a semi plus 29.

Just saying...and I'm not the only one.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Yes, I think the Switchblade is awesome, it's my first choice, hub thing aside, it clicks all the boxes. Nothing holds me back other than lack of frame only option.

I'm going to talk with Onyx Racing about a 157 boost hub.

The GG mantra is cool, I would totally drink the kool-aid but 120mm rear travel is a no go. I could see the Trail Pistol as a quiver bike alongside a bigger hit 27+, but for me it's not a do it all bike...but if they made a long travel version I'd sign on the dotted line.
    I agree with you, although for me I have the additional hurdle of not being able to get over the way Pivots look. Obviously they have their fans, but they don't do it for me. That frame does tick all the boxes, though. And it would have the additional bonus of breathing new life into the 150mm wheelsets I have for my Banshee Prime (just add endcaps). Onyx is probably a good bet as I expect they'll be one of the more responsive hub companies.

I went through this myself. I wasn't planning on a new bike for another year or so, but I suddenly found myself not just in the market, but in the market now. I'd love to ride a Wreckoning, but I don't want to own one. I was very tempted by a Riot. I love Canfield. I had a Yelli, and I really want to ride their suspension. In fact I had my friend's shop speccing a build. But as much as I love the steep STA and tighter cockpit of my Prime for yo-yo riding: steep climbs, steep descents, it's not ideal on lower angle trails that involve a lot of pedaling. And my current build is so heavy that I ride like I'm BC skiing: climb a hill, drink a beer, shred, go get another beer with friends. I want a bike that encourages me to add another couple of climbs. This is going to have to be my only MTB for a while, so I want an all-rounder. I spend half a dozen weekends each at bike parks, ride fairly mellow local trails, as well as burly big-mountain epics. So although I feel like I'm joining a religious cult and wouldn't mind having the room for plus tires ('cause you never know), I've settled on a 5.5c. It doesn't meet your criteria, but it's the lighter weight, longer chainstays, slightly slacker STA, and longer cockpit for all-day rides that swayed me.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by azfishman View Post
    Like PUNKY said, its a good time to be in the market, lots of good choices.
    I'm a bot

Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    There are more coming out VERY soon. I'd wait a couple of months before making a decision. Seriously.
    Truth. Should be seeing new bikes drop regularly from here on out.

Quote Originally Posted by dcitron View Post
    Not that my vote counts, but I am riding a new SC Hightower 29 and love the bike
    Unsure if I find it slack enough.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    Yeti SB5.5c DONE !
    Serious contender. Unsure about current availability.

I know for CDNs the Slash 29 frame isn't out until Late October. :/
    Wreckoning or SB5.5, maybe a Hightower 29

beater
    According to my friend, he scored me the last silver XL 5.5c frame in stock. Maybe, maybe not, but that's what he was told.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    At this point in the sell cycle, an aggressive 29er has to have space for 2.6-2.8, even if you don't use it/need it, it increases the options with minimal loss.

Any cross comparisons or insider know?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Slash 29. Done.
    What he said
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I'm basically pondering the same problem. I'm pretty much set on a switchblade on paper as I can't demo one in the UK yet. I'm interested to see how the 157 rear rides as I've trashed a couple of non boost stans rear rims on my 429 slam landing it into berms etc and I'm only 65 kilos. Trek slash looks awesome but probably overkill as a one bike option for me plus I'm a DW link addict.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigglet13 View Post
    I'm basically pondering the same problem. I'm pretty much set on a switchblade on paper as I can't demo one in the UK yet. I'm interested to see how the 157 rear rides as I've trashed a couple of non boost stans rear rims on my 429 slam landing it into berms etc and I'm only 65 kilos. Trek slash looks awesome but probably overkill as a one bike option for me plus I'm a DW link addict.
    Yes, the Slash looks great, but not a multitool for me, I need something that'll climb, pedal.

Switchblade looks sweet, no real downsides other than availability, I think the superboost hub is gonna be the midfat choice, just need a couple big box adopters.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've been on a 'Blade for a bit over a month. I've owned a few bikes; I'm quite pleased with this one. Super-nice rig.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^How does it compare/differ to/from the Phantom?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Demo'd the Hightower 29 and 27+ back to back this past weekend. Super disappointed. All the talk about the new gen VPP that's supposed to have more supportive pedaling didn't turn out to be the case. If your do it all bike includes pedaling in the turns (ride it like an XC bike on a XC trail) this bike isn't for you.

The rear shock wide open was only good in fast smooth more or less straight downhill sections, if you had to stand up and pedal up a technical feature you're losing a ton of power due to suspension bob, for sit down and crunch it would wheelie on an intermediate climb at the same time the VPP kicked in to firm up the rear. The climb setting was overly harsh on any hit and skipped along like a hardtail. The trail setting... it had enough support to avoid pedal strikes where it should (unlike wide open), it wasn't harsh on roots and smaller sharper rocks (unlike climb) but it just wasn't very comfortable, too firm off the top, decent support in the middle and then felt like it ramped up to quickly.

As for 29er vs 27+.... 29er all day long. 27+ was just too sluggish to accelerate and handling went from pushing the front (understeer) to rolling the tire over in the front within a small air pressure change, and at trail speeds that were embarrassing...
    Specialized Stumpjumper HT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast