Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

"Do it all" aggressive 29er, so many choices!

Jeffsy, Riot, Switchblade, Hightower, Mojo3, Trail Pistol, and the list goes on and on...

Wanted: 29 semi plus, 27 +, adjustable rear suspension, short st for 150mm dropper, active suspension that works well under braking, 130-150 travel, angleset compatible, 66 hta, 74-75 sta, short cs, 1x.

Kinda wants: Red color, not as heavy or as wide or as long as the Mutz.

Replacing: Foes Mutz, 66hta, 72sta, 140mm/140mm travel, 27+/26 fat/mixxer.

Today I'm stuck between the Riot, the Switchblade, the Trail Pistol, and the Jeffsy, each for different reasons.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Add the new Treks. After trying so many bikes last year their "Reaktiv" shock totally impressed me and I got a Remedy. This past week I tried the new 29 and Plus Fuel EX and loved the same formula with nice updates.

LCW
    mtbr member
    Slash 29. Done.

EVIL Following
    Yeti
    SB-66A

Surly Wednesday

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    A good time to be in the market for such a type of bicycle

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    And a 13.5" bb, at least having the option in "trail mode".

So is travel necessary, what I mean is bikes like the Process 111, not much travel, but good geo, the GG Trail Pistol has 120 out back, them bumping up into the 130-140 range is the Slash, Riot, Evil, etc...

Is 120 enough for occassional use in the park, what about getting roudy on the trail? I run 140 now and I use it all.

Anyone have ride impressions on multiple bikes, specifically on suspension feel and response. I like how my single pivot Foes feels at speed and off jumps, but under hard braking it suffers and low speed riding is a bit harsh and bouncy.

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    May 2010
    I'm building a Trail Pistol. 130 fork and 120 out back. I don't think I would use it at a bike park, unless you like going fast and stay away from the WC type rock gardens and big drops.

The TP looks to be very versatile and could be configured more aggressive or more racy depending on use. Guerrilla Gravity is great to work with, I've been on a Megatrail for nearly 2 years and love it.

Like PUNKY said, its a good time to be in the market, lots of good choices. The nice thing about GG is the ability to really tweek your build to suit your personal needs as opposed to what another manufacturer thinks you should be riding.

Brand Ambassador Moderator
    There are more coming out VERY soon. I'd wait a couple of months before making a decision. Seriously.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Can you give any details on that JCWages?

Cactus Cuddler
    Likely not, due to press embargoes - but the wave of 130-150mm travel 29ers which are incidentally capable of running 2.8x27" tires and are based on the longer front center concepts is just now starting to arrive.

In just the FSR/Horst link option sets: StumpjumperFSR, RockyMountain Instinct, YT Jeffsy, Rose Root Milller Mk2, Scott Genius LT, Trek Remedy (2016), Trek Slash (2017), Nukeproof Mega, Niner Rip9 (2017) S Enduro29
    Dual link - SantaCruz Hightower, Intense Carbine [probably new one on the way], Pivot Switchblade, BMC SpeedFox, Pole Evolink, Canfield Riot

Since I'm on the theme of not helping at all, also consider that this list will double in size over the next 24 months really; and this is deliberately avoiding bikes which lack clearance for any 27+ options (Yeti's SB5.5c, Evil Wreckoning, Ninwer WFO (2016), others). Yeah...

I'd figure out which geometry setup really works for how you want to use it (I'd be on a Canfield right now, but the really short chainstays may not work for how I like riding my monster truck, namely being terrible in tight switchbacks, but going full gas on open flowy, and chunky stuff - also climbing through brute force not finesse). Jeffsy looks good, but it specced like a burly trail bike, less so a true all mountain monster. If YT-USA or YT in general can cobble together a Pro Race spec (160mm Fox36, FloatX/X2 shock, DT XM481 based wheels, RaceFace Atlas/SixC and Renthal parts) then I'd happily hop on that wait list - as it is now the wait for those is huge. Switchblade looks seriously awesome, and flexible, but finding hubs short term will stink (especially since I'm hoping to share wheelsets with a carbon hardtail), and cost is big on full builds too.
    I really want to throw a leg over a TrailPistol, although half of what I'd be looking into is doing a custom long-shock iteration of it in 135-140mm travel moving to a SRAM Deluxe-Trunnion setup, and machining a linkage to make it work.

So for now, I'm just keeping a running collection of geometry sheets, some notional parts builds (drivetrains, brakes, wheels, tire combos) -- and as new bikes are announced and released, I keep adding them on.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

So is travel necessary, what I mean is bikes like the Process 111, not much travel, but good geo, the GG Trail Pistol has 120 out back, them bumping up into the 130-140 range is the Slash, Riot, Evil, etc...

Is 120 enough for occassional use in the park, what about getting roudy on the trail? I run 140 now and I use it all.

Anyone have ride impressions on multiple bikes, specifically on suspension feel and response. I like how my single pivot Foes feels at speed and off jumps, but under hard braking it suffers and low speed riding is a bit harsh and bouncy.
    As far as bike park usage, it comes down to what you're looking to do. If your goal is pounding double black technical trails all day, it wouldn't be the best choice. But if it's more akin to hitting the same roughness that you'd normally do on a trail ride, but multiple descents in a day, you'd be fine.
    120 is definitely enough for getting rowdy on the trail. We did a big ride yesterday with some steep, technical descents above treeline followed by blown out loose Jeep trail.

Let me know if you have any other Trail Pistol questions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    As far as bike park usage, it comes down to what you're looking to do. If your goal is pounding double black technical trails all day, it wouldn't be the best choice. But if it's more akin to hitting the same roughness that you'd normally do on a trail ride, but multiple descents in a day, you'd be fine.
    120 is definitely enough for getting rowdy on the trail. We did a big ride yesterday with some steep, technical descents above treeline followed by blown out loose Jeep trail.

Not that my vote counts, but I am riding a new SC Hightower 29 and love the bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Slash 29. Done.
    Yeti SB5.5c DONE !
    16' SB6c Green
    16' SB5.5c Silver
    16' SB4.5c Turquoise
    16' ASRc Turquoise
    15' SB5c Raw
    14' ARCc Raw

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post

Can you make it 140mm rear travel?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tehllama View Post
    Likely not, due to press embargoes - but the wave of 130-150mm travel 29ers which are incidentally capable of running 2.8x27" tires and are based on the longer front center concepts is just now starting to arrive.

In just the FSR/Horst link option sets: StumpjumperFSR, RockyMountain Instinct, YT Jeffsy, Rose Root Milller Mk2, Scott Genius LT, Trek Remedy (2016), Trek Slash (2017), Nukeproof Mega, Niner Rip9 (2017) S Enduro29
    Dual link - SantaCruz Hightower, Intense Carbine [probably new one on the way], Pivot Switchblade, BMC SpeedFox, Pole Evolink, Canfield Riot

Since I'm on the theme of not helping at all, also consider that this list will double in size over the next 24 months really; and this is deliberately avoiding bikes which lack clearance for any 27+ options (Yeti's SB5.5c, Evil Wreckoning, Ninwer WFO (2016), others). Yeah...

I'd figure out which geometry setup really works for how you want to use it (I'd be on a Canfield right now, but the really short chainstays may not work for how I like riding my monster truck, namely being terrible in tight switchbacks, but going full gas on open flowy, and chunky stuff - also climbing through brute force not finesse). Jeffsy looks good, but it specced like a burly trail bike, less so a true all mountain monster. If YT-USA or YT in general can cobble together a Pro Race spec (160mm Fox36, FloatX/X2 shock, DT XM481 based wheels, RaceFace Atlas/SixC and Renthal parts) then I'd happily hop on that wait list - as it is now the wait for those is huge. Switchblade looks seriously awesome, and flexible, but finding hubs short term will stink (especially since I'm hoping to share wheelsets with a carbon hardtail), and cost is big on full builds too.
    I really want to throw a leg over a TrailPistol, although half of what I'd be looking into is doing a custom long-shock iteration of it in 135-140mm travel moving to a SRAM Deluxe-Trunnion setup, and machining a linkage to make it work.

So for now, I'm just keeping a running collection of geometry sheets, some notional parts builds (drivetrains, brakes, wheels, tire combos) -- and as new bikes are announced and released, I keep adding them on.
    Yes, I think the Switchblade is awesome, it's my first choice, hub thing aside, it clicks all the boxes. Nothing holds me back other than lack of frame only option.

I'm going to talk with Onyx Racing about a 157 boost hub.

The GG mantra is cool, I would totally drink the kool-aid but 120mm rear travel is a no go. I could see the Trail Pistol as a quiver bike alongside a bigger hit 27+, but for me it's not a do it all bike...but if they made a long travel version I'd sign on the dotted line.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    and not to get crucified by the Canfield thought police, but a Riot would already be parked in my garage if the rear could accept a semi plus 29.

Just saying...and I'm not the only one.

beater
    Yes, I think the Switchblade is awesome, it's my first choice, hub thing aside, it clicks all the boxes. Nothing holds me back other than lack of frame only option.

I'm going to talk with Onyx Racing about a 157 boost hub.

The GG mantra is cool, I would totally drink the kool-aid but 120mm rear travel is a no go. I could see the Trail Pistol as a quiver bike alongside a bigger hit 27+, but for me it's not a do it all bike...but if they made a long travel version I'd sign on the dotted line.
    I agree with you, although for me I have the additional hurdle of not being able to get over the way Pivots look. Obviously they have their fans, but they don't do it for me. That frame does tick all the boxes, though. And it would have the additional bonus of breathing new life into the 150mm wheelsets I have for my Banshee Prime (just add endcaps). Onyx is probably a good bet as I expect they'll be one of the more responsive hub companies.

I went through this myself. I wasn't planning on a new bike for another year or so, but I suddenly found myself not just in the market, but in the market now. I'd love to ride a Wreckoning, but I don't want to own one. I was very tempted by a Riot. I love Canfield. I had a Yelli, and I really want to ride their suspension. In fact I had my friend's shop speccing a build. But as much as I love the steep STA and tighter cockpit of my Prime for yo-yo riding: steep climbs, steep descents, it's not ideal on lower angle trails that involve a lot of pedaling. And my current build is so heavy that I ride like I'm BC skiing: climb a hill, drink a beer, shred, go get another beer with friends. I want a bike that encourages me to add another couple of climbs. This is going to have to be my only MTB for a while, so I want an all-rounder. I spend half a dozen weekends each at bike parks, ride fairly mellow local trails, as well as burly big-mountain epics. So although I feel like I'm joining a religious cult and wouldn't mind having the room for plus tires ('cause you never know), I've settled on a 5.5c. It doesn't meet your criteria, but it's the lighter weight, longer chainstays, slightly slacker STA, and longer cockpit for all-day rides that swayed me.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by azfishman View Post
    Like PUNKY said, its a good time to be in the market, lots of good choices.
    I'm a bot

Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    There are more coming out VERY soon. I'd wait a couple of months before making a decision. Seriously.
    Truth. Should be seeing new bikes drop regularly from here on out.

Quote Originally Posted by dcitron View Post
    Not that my vote counts, but I am riding a new SC Hightower 29 and love the bike
    Unsure if I find it slack enough.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnybex View Post
    Yeti SB5.5c DONE !
    Serious contender. Unsure about current availability.

I know for CDNs the Slash 29 frame isn't out until Late October. :/
    Wreckoning or SB5.5, maybe a Hightower 29

beater
    According to my friend, he scored me the last silver XL 5.5c frame in stock. Maybe, maybe not, but that's what he was told.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    At this point in the sell cycle, an aggressive 29er has to have space for 2.6-2.8, even if you don't use it/need it, it increases the options with minimal loss.

Any cross comparisons or insider know?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCW View Post
    Slash 29. Done.
    What he said
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I'm basically pondering the same problem. I'm pretty much set on a switchblade on paper as I can't demo one in the UK yet. I'm interested to see how the 157 rear rides as I've trashed a couple of non boost stans rear rims on my 429 slam landing it into berms etc and I'm only 65 kilos. Trek slash looks awesome but probably overkill as a one bike option for me plus I'm a DW link addict.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigglet13 View Post
    I'm basically pondering the same problem. I'm pretty much set on a switchblade on paper as I can't demo one in the UK yet. I'm interested to see how the 157 rear rides as I've trashed a couple of non boost stans rear rims on my 429 slam landing it into berms etc and I'm only 65 kilos. Trek slash looks awesome but probably overkill as a one bike option for me plus I'm a DW link addict.
    Yes, the Slash looks great, but not a multitool for me, I need something that'll climb, pedal.

Switchblade looks sweet, no real downsides other than availability, I think the superboost hub is gonna be the midfat choice, just need a couple big box adopters.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've been on a 'Blade for a bit over a month. I've owned a few bikes; I'm quite pleased with this one. Super-nice rig.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^How does it compare/differ to/from the Phantom?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Demo'd the Hightower 29 and 27+ back to back this past weekend. Super disappointed. All the talk about the new gen VPP that's supposed to have more supportive pedaling didn't turn out to be the case. If your do it all bike includes pedaling in the turns (ride it like an XC bike on a XC trail) this bike isn't for you.

The rear shock wide open was only good in fast smooth more or less straight downhill sections, if you had to stand up and pedal up a technical feature you're losing a ton of power due to suspension bob, for sit down and crunch it would wheelie on an intermediate climb at the same time the VPP kicked in to firm up the rear. The climb setting was overly harsh on any hit and skipped along like a hardtail. The trail setting... it had enough support to avoid pedal strikes where it should (unlike wide open), it wasn't harsh on roots and smaller sharper rocks (unlike climb) but it just wasn't very comfortable, too firm off the top, decent support in the middle and then felt like it ramped up to quickly.

As for 29er vs 27+.... 29er all day long. 27+ was just too sluggish to accelerate and handling went from pushing the front (understeer) to rolling the tire over in the front within a small air pressure change, and at trail speeds that were embarrassing...

Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    Demo'd the Hightower 29 and 27+ back to back this past weekend. Super disappointed. All the talk about the new gen VPP that's supposed to have more supportive pedaling didn't turn out to be the case. If your do it all bike includes pedaling in the turns (ride it like an XC bike on a XC trail) this bike isn't for you.

The rear shock wide open was only good in fast smooth more or less straight downhill sections, if you had to stand up and pedal up a technical feature you're losing a ton of power due to suspension bob, for sit down and crunch it would wheelie on an intermediate climb at the same time the VPP kicked in to firm up the rear. The climb setting was overly harsh on any hit and skipped along like a hardtail. The trail setting... it had enough support to avoid pedal strikes where it should (unlike wide open), it wasn't harsh on roots and smaller sharper rocks (unlike climb) but it just wasn't very comfortable, too firm off the top, decent support in the middle and then felt like it ramped up to quickly.

As for 29er vs 27+.... 29er all day long. 27+ was just too sluggish to accelerate and handling went from pushing the front (understeer) to rolling the tire over in the front within a small air pressure change, and at trail speeds that were embarrassing...
    Which shock and was it set up properly for you? Sometimes demos don't get tuned to the rider well enough. A small change in shock tune can make a huge difference in ride feel. Improper tire pressure on plus bikes can really exacerbate the issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Which shock and was it set up properly for you? Sometimes demos don't get tuned to the rider well enough. A small change in shock tune can make a huge difference in ride feel. Improper tire pressure on plus bikes can really exacerbate the issue.
    It wasn't set up for me at all. The SC demo guy was too busy, too hungover and the bikes were pretty beat looking. It was the bike park "how much do you weigh?" And that was it.

I was there with my best friend (he's more a enduro/DH guy and I'm more XC) and we rode with a 3rd guy we met there. 215lbs, 194lbs (me) and 160lbs. Riding together, we all had the same basic issues. I was the only one that had a working dropper post (all 3 were RS), the Pike on the 27+ I rode was needing work, and all 3 of us weren't impressed with the rear end performance overall.

For me, it was worse pedaling than the Transition Scout demo I rode a few weeks ago. Same shock, debonair air can though.

My buddy has a 2013 Intense Tracer and he said it felt the same pedaling-wise to the new SC stuff. Definitely not what he was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    It wasn't set up for me at all. The SC demo guy was too busy, too hungover and the bikes were pretty beat looking. It was the bike park "how much do you weigh?" And that was it.

I was there with my best friend (he's more a enduro/DH guy and I'm more XC) and we rode with a 3rd guy we met there. 215lbs, 194lbs (me) and 160lbs. Riding together, we all had the same basic issues. I was the only one that had a working dropper post (all 3 were RS), the Pike on the 27+ I rode was needing work, and all 3 of us weren't impressed with the rear end performance overall.

For me, it was worse pedaling than the Transition Scout demo I rode a few weeks ago. Same shock, debonair air can though.

My buddy has a 2013 Intense Tracer and he said it felt the same pedaling-wise to the new SC stuff. Definitely not what he was looking for.
    Gotcha. That is why I asked. If a bike is not tuned for the specific rider then it is likely to be a terrible experience no matter how good the bike is. It really makes the whole experience invalid. I would suggest trying to find another demo so you can get a quality experience. I'm not saying your opinion isn't valid but it is kind of like test driving a Corvette Zo6 with a couple of spark plugs missing while sitting on a bucket because they removed the front seat. I.e. it is a disaster and doesn't represent what the car is capable of.

I hope you didn't have to pay for the demo. That would have been a bummer.

mtbr member
    Rule#1 - Always carry a shock pump on demo rides. I too found the VPP to be pretty finicky about set up, like +-3psi seems to make a lot of difference.... but I was also underwhelmed with VPP in the end of my demos. People love 'em though, so I'm still not convinced I ever got them set up perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    Rule#1 - Always carry a shock pump on demo rides. I too found the VPP to be pretty finicky about set up, like +-3psi seems to make a lot of difference.... but I was also underwhelmed with VPP in the end of my demos. People love 'em though, so I'm still not convinced I ever got them set up perfectly.
    Agreed. If you want to seriously demo a bike for potential purchase you need to take matters into your own hand or pressure the demo setup person to do it right.

Also consider the fact the suspension design labels don't work and feel exactly the same on every bike or from every manufacturer. I.e the VPP on Santa Cruz bikes doesn't feel like the JST version on Intense Bikes or Horst Link on Norco and YT. It even changes between bikes from the same manufacturer. You just have to ride them all and ensure they are set up right.

mtbr member
    I have the Hightower and swapped out the stock shock. The Rockshox just didn't work well for me at all. I am now riding the Cane Creek Inline and it is a night and day difference.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    We set sag trail side. Only a 10 mile ride so I didn't mess with the settings aside from speeding up the rebound a bit in the rear. Cruddy damping aside, the BB height was pretty much useless for old school east coast tech riding. The newer flow trails made for speed and pumping, it was a hoot. But that's not a all-rounder bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    That +/- 3 psi can make the difference for those who experience pedal strikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

I am riding a Process 111 after 4 years on a Satori. At this point I don't even notice the lack of travel unless I am bombing rock gardens. The Process climbs more efficiency, handles tight technical terrain more cleanly and decends like it is on rails. By definition finding a single bike to do everything involves some compromise, the short travel, aggressive 29er fits my riding best and is the perfect compliment to a winter fat bike. Unless you are regularly hitting lift service downhill parks, you will be happy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee29 View Post
    That +/- 3 psi can make the difference for those who experience pedal strikes
    I doubt that. I should've ridden out of it as the ambient air temp went up 15 degrees Fahrenheit and the shock was warm to the touch at the end of the ride. It's what, 1psi of shock pressure for every 10F change?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Check into Lenz Sport Lunchbox or Behemoth. Fun bikes, do it all, tough, BB height made for chunky desert riding, plush, pedal all day.

Having owned multiple Santa Cruz bikes and an Intense, I will say I much prefer the VPP on the Intense T275.

Current Trek Remedy is hard to beat as well.

Stay tuned for another aggressive 29er...
    "Do it all" aggressive 29er, so many choices!-20160731_185136.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Spez Enduro 29er. Fox 36's, X2 (or ohlins Spring) and a 650b Shock yoke. Not a plus (thank god) bike and has been around awhile. Pedel good but there ain't a 29er that will touch it going down!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    ^^ Correct. As much as folks love to hate Spec., if you have the skillset and the proper terrain, it's about the fastest 29er on the planet. It's hard to do much better.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    ^^ Correct. As much as folks love to hate Spec., if you have the skillset and the proper terrain, it's about the fastest 29er on the planet. It's hard to do much better.
    Having ridden the E29, Stumpy 29er, Pivot Switchblade, 429Trail, Yeti 4.5, 5.5, and Wreckoning, the Switchblade is probably the most versatile, with the 5.5 and Stumpy coming in next.

Those are the bikes that are most balanced between uphill efficiency and downhill speed/stability. The 5.5 feels slacker and longer in the front end going up compared to the other two. It requires the most concentration through tight uphill turns (tight climbing switchbacks or techy, turning uphill obstacles). It's the most point and shoot, let off the brakes and charge bike of those three. It also pedals really well, no real need for platform switches. The stumpy is balanced and neutral. Very active rear suspension, but requires the platform for climbing, and not quite as confident pointed down. The Switchblade pedals in the same league as the Yeti. Easier to manipulate through tight, techy, climbing, but not quite as confident when pointed down compared to the 5.5. The Wreckoning isn't too far off the 5.5. It gives up a little on the climb, but rewards maybe more on the descent.

The 429T and 4.5 are ripping trail bikes capable of far more than most would think. Faster going up than all those listed above, but not as confidence inspiring as those going down. Still quite capable of charging some high speed chunky lines. Wouldn't want to do all day lift serviced laps through rocky terrain on either, though capable of it.

The E29 and Wreckoning are closer to one another than the other two categories above. The 5.5 hits a class above the Stumpy and SB, and could be compared closely to these two. The E29 still has some geometry flaws in my opinion. It's a bit of a compromise, super short chain stays, fairly steep HA for a 160mm bike. It was good for its time, but will undoubtedly see some revisions for the 2017 model. It pedals ok, descends well, but the newer LT 29ers will tackle so much more with similar or greater confidence. The Wreckoning makes you feel pretty indestructible. It's the closest feeling to a DH bike I've felt in a bike that I feel truly at home on a typical trail ride. The 5.5 again feels more confident pointed down than the Enduro, and pedals better than both of the other rigs. The E29 does alright once the platform is switched on. Depending on your physical build, that short back end can make for a light front on steeps. The steeper HA make it a little more responsive at slow speeds through tech and tight stuff. The Wreck climbs pretty darn well. I've only ridden with an 11/6 on mine, but if you had told me a year or two ago that I'd be grabbing a 160mm 29er with a coil shock for 10+ mile trail rides with significant climbs, I'd have laughed at you. I think it picks it's way around tight, slow stuff as well as the 5.5, maybe even a touch better.

That's my two cents...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Please check out the Tantrum Outburst. Available soon.

Home

If you are interested in the first media test, these quotes are for the 160 mm x 27.5m but we had the 125 mm x 29 Outburst there as well.

“Does the impossible; pedals like a hardtail and delivers a plush ride over the bumps-without levers or electronics”.

”The Missing Link delivers the goods. Compared to the current crop of carbon superbikes, the Tantrum Meltdown performs well on the downs-essential for any 160-millimeter trail bike-and its pedaling action is better than all of them”.

First Ride: Tantrum Cycles Missing Link Suspension - Pinkbike

cheers,

brian

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Brian, got a demo up in the Pacific Northwest? same town a Kona so I know the magic link A bit. So by the sounds of it you are aiming squarely at the Enduro (160mm) market. You got any fast guys racing them? The reason I ask is that anyone can ride a beach cruiser on a groomed trail but to race a Enduro around here at the top level you need a bike that does it all. A number of bikes mentioned on this thread just don't work!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mx298 View Post
    Brian, got a demo up in the Pacific Northwest? same town a Kona so I know the magic link A bit. So by the sounds of it you are aiming squarely at the Enduro (160mm) market. You got any fast guys racing them? The reason I ask is that anyone can ride a beach cruiser on a groomed trail but to race a Enduro around here at the top level you need a bike that does it all. A number of bikes mentioned on this thread just don't work!
    Hi Mx, We don't really have any demo units yet. The 2 bikes I have are my pre production mules.

I love the riding up there. I'm trying to remember where paddy and dew took me when I brought up the first hacked up magic link proto, the "frankendawg"

I'm sure we'll get up there sooner or later. It's a great bike for that terrain. I'm lucky enough to get to ride and test on all kinds of cool stuff. To make a do it all bike for the world's vast variety is tough, but fun. I'm getting closer.

Would you care to elaborate on which bikes don't work and why? It all goes into the thought process.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    It may hurt some feelings. . . . . My two son's race pro-grt's and some enduro's so most of my info is from them. I am to old and slow to ride on the edge. It's mostly suspension and set up. We have ran everything from boxers/pikes (charger dampers suck), Avalanche dampers are good! to X-fusion RV1 and fox 40's/36's.Cane creek db air cs, Rock shox, fox X2's X2 DH to ohlins(best). Hey I see Paddy all the time.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to seeing what all comes out. Got a 130 pike with avy cart and a set of nox farlows on the way for whatever frame looks best. It will be my first 29er. My guess is that I'll end up on a Devinci but the GG Trail Pistol does looks cool.

Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    Looking forward to seeing what all comes out. Got a 130 pike with avy cart and a set of nox farlows on the way for whatever frame looks best. It will be my first 29er. My guess is that I'll end up on a Devinci but the GG Trail Pistol does looks cool.
    Nice!

When they sell this (Intense Primer) as a frame only option maybe it will work for you.
    "Do it all" aggressive 29er, so many choices!-img_20160802_185730.jpg"Do it all" aggressive 29er, so many choices!-primer-geo.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mx298 View Post
    It may hurt some feelings. . . . . My two son's race pro-grt's and some enduro's so most of my info is from them. I am to old and slow to ride on the edge. It's mostly suspension and set up. We have ran everything from boxers/pikes (charger dampers suck), Avalanche dampers are good! to X-fusion RV1 and fox 40's/36's.Cane creek db air cs, Rock shox, fox X2's X2 DH to ohlins(best). Hey I see Paddy all the time.

Hurt Feelings!!?? I thought that's what the internet is for!! i am actually impressed that you are reluctant to rip other bikes in public. And that was not my intent, I really want to know, for market research. If you prefer, drop me a private message or email from our website.

That goes for anyone. It is hard to make a bike that does everything well, everywhere, so more feedback is good.

Say Hi to Paddy. Tell him I miss him.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Conway WME 29
    WME 29er Prototyp | MTB-News.de

Geo and Details coming soon..

This place needs an enema
    I think the superboost hub is gonna be the midfat choice, just need a couple big box adopters.
    157 hubs are a dime a dozen. DT, King, Hope, Onyx, ad nauseum. They've been around for a decade, maybe a bit more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    157 hubs are a dime a dozen. DT, King, Hope, Onyx, ad nauseum. They've been around for a decade, maybe a bit more.
    But not with the wider flange spacing designed into the hubs like those on the Switchblade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast