mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Django 29 Carbon NX deal - why not ?

Had my mind set on a Kona Hei Hei (alu, 29er) as I'm looking for a nimble 29er (coming from SC Superlight 26er).

Now can get a (really) good deal on a Devinci Django Carbon NX, but some of its specs don't tick my wishlist ....Things that make me hesitate:
    - 1x frame only (still riding 2x9, so kind of a step to go 1x)
    - carbon frame: do I need it ?
    - carbon frame with lower specs components: better go for alu with better components.
    (- completely off-topic: I don't really need a new bike....)

Can get a $CAD 1100 discount on the Django....

Thoughts ?
    The Quebeco-Flandrien in B.C....

SC SuperLight

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I say go for it. Parts wear out, and can be replaced with better ones once they do. It's a bit porky for a carbon bike, but most of that is probably the wheels and the NX group. Wheels would be the best place for a first upgrade, could probably save a pound right there pretty cheaply. Different dropper than the FSA would probably save close to another.

Took a Django demo home for the weekend a couple weeks ago, and I was sold on it right away. Just a great riding bike, and pretty good in tight singletrack for such a long bike. Ordered a frame as soon as I could, and am in the process of collecting the parts i'll need to build it up right now. Most of my stuff will swap over, but I need a new boost rear wheel, new dropper, bottom bracket, and went with a wider bar and a new set of grips for it. Hopefully my non-boost chainring will work so I can be up and running as soon as possible. Mine should come in at around 29 pounds, with pedals. Not superlight for carbon, but durability should be good. Lifetime frame warranty doesn't hurt.

Leftover 2017, I assume? What color?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Just a great riding bike, and pretty good in tight singletrack for such a long bike. Ordered a frame as soon as I could, and am in the process of collecting the parts i'll need to build it up right now.

Leftover 2017, I assume? What color?
    Thanks, helpful comments. Think they still would have the alu frame available as well (which would allow to build it up).

Color is black/white.
    The Quebeco-Flandrien in B.C....

SC SuperLight

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The aluminum frame is really a pig, though, over 8 pounds. As I said, I'm swapping almost all of my parts over from my Rip 9 aluminum, not a superlight build, but sturdy and reliable, and my carbon Django should come in about a pound, pound and a half lighter. On the aluminum Django, it would be pound and a half, two pounds heavier.

The aluminum NX comes in at almost 33 pounds.