Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Discount on new $7500 bike??

Hello all,

Looking to buy a new 29er bike in the $7500 range.

What % discount is reasonable?

Thanks

The Original Suspect
    Really not enough info to give you an opinion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    OK, Looking at the Pivot Mach 6, Ibis Ripley, and Rocky Mountain Altitude.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    0% discount sounds reasonable on a brand new bike. What makes you so entitled?

The discount you may or may not get depends on your relationship with the shop you are buying from.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by crohnsy View Post
    0% discount sounds reasonable on a brand new bike. What makes you so entitled?

The discount you may or may not get depends on your relationship with the shop you are buying from.

No entitlement....have not bought a new bike for a few years. Previous bike were much lower priced and were negotiated below lbs asking price.

Just looking for for some guidance here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Hard to put a percent on it, but I definitely feel its neccessary to negotiate on $7500 purchases. I try not to pay sticker price for anything...from a can of sardines to house. Let's not pretend markup on new bikes isn't through the roof.

Screw it, you get 23.7215%. Because the bike shop isn't ENTITLED to your business either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hogan99 View Post
    Previous bike were much lower priced and were negotiated below lbs asking price.
    Good for you!

martyrdom for dummies
    At $7500, whats a few hundred more, or less. Lot more bragging rights go with $7500 than with $6800, and it is all about the bragging. You don't actually think we do this shyt for any other reason?
    conformity kills.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Percent off depends on the time of year and is a flexible decision made by the owner or manager in my experience.
    You have to talk to most likely several managers to find one who is interested in working with you to get the deal done.
    Money off isn't the only thing you may want to negotiate. Parts credits and/or swaps to get the bike exactly how you want it can be just as significant.
    And you may be bringing parts to the bike you prefer and already have, like wheels. You can also get a future discount on anything you order through the shop.
    The more you know about exactly what you want and why the easier you will be to work with. A good guy to work with thinks bikes all day long every day.
    I go for 15% at this time of year with maybe a bit more by offering cash as an opening. 20% on future purchases. 60% deposit tells them they don't have to worry about being stuck with an ordered bike.

Crash Dummy In Training
    Wait till summer when the new model year are coming out offer 35% off for cash and go from there.
    I've found most LBS will negotiate if you have cash and it's when the new models are ready to come in.
    Good luck.
    ​​
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T.
    1997 Rock Hopper / Manitou TI Bulge Fork / Shimano STX-3 x 7 P.O.S.​

mtbr member
    10-15%.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    No entitlement....have not bought a new bike for a few years. Previous bike were much lower priced and were negotiated below lbs asking price.

How can the Internet tell you how much of a deal you should get? We aren't selling you the bike. Go to the shop you want to spend your money with and make a deal with them. If they give you a price you feel good about spending then spend it. If not go somewhere else or revisit your budget and/or expectations.

You'll get a better deal on a 2014 bike than a 2015 bike.

There isn't a ton of markup on bikes and if you go into the deal expecting the world you may end up disappointed for no real good reason at all.

martyrdom for dummies
    Doesn't even matter the price, any price, or even the value, people just want a deal. How can you even reasonably justify that a bike is not worth $7500 to you, but it is worth oh, say $7000? Just buy the damn thing, if you can afford it. If you can't, buy something cheaper. Truth be told, what bike is really worth that much money anyway? Or even the $6400+ I've got in to my Banshee?
    conformity kills.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If you take into consideration how many bikes are sold each year with a $7500 retail price, vs bikes that are under $3k...id hope youd be able to get a little price break for taking it off their hands before the next model year is released. From a business standpoint, of course the shop wants to get as much as possible but unless you only have one shop in town, chances are someone will work with you (assuming you have cash in hand and avoid credit card processing fees). Then again, some of these big name brands require their dealers to hold very firm on pricing for current models. Id think your best chance is at a family owned shop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You should be able to get even more off a bike that isn't in stock. If you mention a 60% non-refundable deposit you are removing the financial risk completely for the shop. 20% should be reasonable for sure considering the size of their return on no investment in this one transaction. But you always have to be ready to walk and in fact it is good to ask to walk around a little and give them an opportunity to see the deal evaporate.

Braaap
    After only 3 post the OP is already in the red? Yikes! Give the guy a break!

As a shop owner, I think this is a perfectly reasonable question. Times are changing and local shops need to wake up and realize that the customer, especially a knowledgeable one, has options.

The above advice all seems very reasonable. As mentioned, don't walk in feeling entitled to a discount. However, if the shop simply closes you out, then stay away. If they can't take the time to work with you on 7k purchase (perhaps with labor or future purchases) then things are sure to get messy when it comes to assembly, fit, maintenance, and future support.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtMerchantBicycles View Post
    As a shop owner, I think this is a perfectly reasonable question. Times are changing and local shops need to wake up and realize that the customer, especially a knowledgeable one, has option.
    While this is true, this mentality is harmful to the bike industry. Would you go into BestBuy and ask for a discount on a TV? Probably not. Could you get a better deal online? Likely, but you wouldn't be able to compare the TVs side by side, in person, with a (hopefully) knowledgeable salesperson to give you advice and help you reach a decision. You also wouldn't have the support of BestBuy for installation, service, or warranty issues. [OK, I'll admit BestBuy can be crap at all these things, but it was the first comparison I thought of.] Companies like Trek, Shimano, and Specialized are realizing that discounted prices on the internet are bad for this industry as a whole and are doing their best to only go through Local Bike Shops.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtMerchantBicycles View Post
    The above advice all seems very reasonable. As mentioned, don't walk in feeling entitled to a discount. However, if the shop simply closes you out, then stay away. If they can't take the time to work with you on 7k purchase (perhaps with labor or future purchases) then things are sure to get messy when it comes to assembly, fit, maintenance, and future support.
    THIS is where an LBS can help you out. Free first tune (30-day), one-two years of support (quick adjustments), discounts on fitting (and the fitting services now are fantastic), installing accessories for you, and, above all else, being there to help you make an informed decisions and standing behind what they promise. Big manufacturers help out by standing behind their warranty process. [But always remember, warranties are for DEFECTIVE products, not breakage resulting from misuse or lack of service. For crashes most have a crash replacement discount.]

IF you build a relationship with a shop over months or years, then yea, they might offer to help you out for being a loyal customer - but don't walk in expecting this to happen. BIKES ARE NOT CARS. Please don't treat your shop employees like car salesman. We're not trying to rip you off. We WANT you to have a good bike. We WANT you to get as good as a deal as possible. But we also love our bikes, our industry, and we want to make sure that it lives and thrives so we can pass on the love to everyone else.

[The previous rant is courtesy of a former full-time shop rat, current part timer, and lifelong member of the community. Thanks for sticking around. /end]

mtbr member
    I'm getting 7% off on a high end bike (5K which is not a stock floor model) from an LBS for a cash purchase. 5% if I use credit. Though I decided not to go with Pivot, which the shop carries, I would have gotten the same discount on that brand regardless of model.

I hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

All those bikes are awesome. But what makes them so great is the frame and the ride. A lot of mid-level components are great now - SRAM X1 is probably my favorite drivetrain at the moment. Just a quick glance around the internet and it looks like you can get a Mach 6 X1 for $5500-$6000, a Ripley with X01 is under $6000 as well.

Also check out the new EVIL bike - the Following. $5000 w/ SRAM X1.

To sum up: buy a bike that you love, with a parts kit that's within your means. Ride it. LOVE it. Get to know your local shop. They might not be able to give you discounts all the time (there is a minimum MSRP for many products), but they WILL support and help you out.

I can't count the number of times when one of our regulars comes in with a problem and we'll say "We can help". And we do.

To conclude: Ride bikes. Have fun. Be Awesome.

mtbr member
    Best Buy? You should ask for a discount on any large purchase and will probably get it. We frequently shop there and never pay retail. Same for an expensive bike. There is room for the shop to work with you. Like others have said, cash works best.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    Best Buy? You should ask for a discount on any large purchase and will probably get it. We frequently shop there and never pay retail. Same for an expensive bike. There is room for the shop to work with you. Like others have said, cash works best.
    Sorry, like I said, crap comparison.

Support your LBS and they will support you. If you're just looking to cut a deal, that's a bad way to work on a long term relationship (which will get you much more).

mtbr member
    I was offered the 5% by the LBS and got the additional 2% when I offered cash which is just the cost to process a credit transaction.

I had a decades long relationship with one LBS and got pricing I won't even go into because of a relationship with a company rep of a major bike mfg. I bought most small dollar, high margin, items from that shop but over the years things changed.

Bikes I wanted were no longer carried, the shop did not deal in the higher end brands I was now interested in and, frankly, I didn't like that the shop did not give any kind of support to the local MTB community.

The shop I will be making my next purchase from has been very accommodating and allowed me to demo the two bikes I had narrowed my search to on dirt. A Pivot and Santa Cruz. Getting to demo either is a pain and finding a shop that carried both worth a lot to me. For my part, I traveled over 100 miles to visit the shop but I really like them and want to build up a long term relationship so I do understand what you are talking about and do support my LBS.

As a consumer, we do have the right to ask for a discount. If the shop doesn't want to offer any, that is their decision and I will not walk out the door but it is a two way transaction.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Each rider will work out a deal based on his needs. Some need support while another prefers to work on his own stuff.
    More in the later category when you get to this level of bike. Mine worked with me and they are 50 miles away(near friends) so I told them I wouldn't need much tech support. Warranty replacement of the clutch mechanism is it so far. It certainly hasn't hurt them to receive the benefit of my discounted non-stock purchase. They also get added sales from a reasonable discount(20%) on other things I buy from time to time. But I shop for everything from China, Germany, Britain but not Indonesia.

mtbr member
    If you use the lbs often, a 6 pack of good beer for the shop mechanics will go a long ways. bought a commuter from the same lbs for my wife (replacing a stolen one) and have some maintenance done there off and on. When it came time to pull the trigger on my spider comp (last years model from 2014), I spent some time test riding a few bikes to show I was serious. Make sure you're dealing with the owner or at least the manager. I got the owner to come down $500 dollars and had him put it on his card. Mulled it over a couple days and came back with the quote and they honored it. Take home message is if you want a discount put in some time and you should have success. If you roll in there and expect a discount without laying any groundwork, you may be disappointed.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    10-15% discount is what I would shoot for, cash

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast