Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TRACKDADDY

Which disc brakes would you chose Juciy 7's or Mono Mini's??...

I am working on building a new 29er project. My question to the forum is which brakes do I keep and which get sold??

I have a pair of 2005 Avid Juicy 7's (almost brand new) and a pair of Hope Mono Mini's (used, but not by me) and I am not sure which pair I should keep and use for the project and which pair will get sold with my Kona Explosif to help pay for the 29er "project" (think Ti Black Sheep Highlight). Any suggestions from people's experience or preference??

The Juicy's are 185mm front and 160mm rear and the Mono Mini's are both 160mm.

Also, is there an adapter to allow a 160mm front Hope Mono Mini caliper to be used with a 180mm rotor, or do I need a whole new caliper?? The Hope web site is a little sparse for details on spare parts and adapters etc..

I appologize if this is not the right spot to post this topic in the forum but I didn't see a brake related topic thread....
    "On yere Bike!!!!",

Brandon Lockwood, KCH Inc.
    [SIZE="5"]Track Daddy Blog[/SIZE]

jms
    mtbr member

Mono Mini's for me

I've had the greatest success with Mono Mini's and Kool-Stop pads. They've been reliable, drag free, and quiet. I believe they're a bit lighter than Juicy 7's too. To my knowledge, you'll need a different caliper to run a 180 Mono Mini up front. Good luck with your project.

mtbr member
    i have mini's and they have been pretty much flawless for a year, except for a sticking piston in the rear once. i have friends that have the avids and they love them as well. dont think you can go wrong with either one.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Funny. I've ridden with plenty of folks using Hopes, which they've send to be noisy.

I've never used 'em.

But, we've used and abused the 7's for thousands problem free miles. They only get noisy when super hot.

My Shimano's however are silent all the time, and are about 30g lighter than the 7's..and equally as reliable.

My lbs folks LOVE the Shimano brakes....I'm glad I listened.

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    I have had both recently. I sold the Avid 7's and kept the Mono Mini's.

Avids:
    good stopping power, but noisy. damn they were loud at times. A little heavier than the Mono's although that was not a big concern. About the same stopping power as the Hopes really. On a several mile long downhill run, they gave out on me and wouldn't stop. they just went to mush. But the Hopes did the same to me on the same downhill run last week end. On both the avids and the Hopes it was only the front that went to mush. And on both, once the brakes cooled down, they stopped just fine. That run dropped about 2200-2300 feet of elevation over those several miles, so I am not surprised. I could still stop using both brakes, just not nearly as fast.

Mono Minis:
    Love the CNC look. Love the stopping power 99% of the time, see above for the only time that they let me down. Basically, they are my favorite brake out there. I have tried just about everything but the Marta's and these are what I like.

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Funny. I've ridden with plenty of folks using Hopes, which they've send to be noisy.

I've never used 'em.

But, we've used and abused the 7's for thousands problem free miles. They only get noisy when super hot.

My Shimano's however are silent all the time, and are about 30g lighter than the 7's..and equally as reliable.

Shimanos are a great bang for the buck certainly. I wish the XTR had some more power though. I think both the Hopes and Avids stopped better than the XTR set up I had. I had a deore hydro set-up a couple of years ago that stopped better than any XC disc brake I have tried and they were dirt-cheap--heavy but reliable and cheap.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Law
    Shimanos are a great bang for the buck certainly. I wish the XTR had some more power though. I think both the Hopes and Avids stopped better than the XTR set up I had. I had a deore hydro set-up a couple of years ago that stopped better than any XC disc brake I have tried and they were dirt-cheap--heavy but reliable and cheap.
    Wow...Madre and I have never had mush with the 2 sets of Juicy's we have....weird...

What size rotors are you running? Maybe you are too fat for them?

Have you ridden any of Shimano's stuff?

The Duuude, man...
    Juicy vs Mini's?

Camaro vs Porshe....

Recovering Weight Weenie
    My Shimano's are the Saints. 30g lighter than my 7's and same if not more power.
    I'm pretty sure Saints are just the XT's painted.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01
    Juicy vs Mini's?

Camaro vs Porshe....
    Ya......I'll take the 220mph Camaro that smoked all the Euro exotics.

Edit: Oh ya, and the Avids.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Do not touch the trim"

TRACKDADDY
    Thanks to everyone that gave up some advice. I am tempted to keep the Mono's but I still have not had the question answered yet, "Also, is there an adapter to allow a 160mm front Hope Mono Mini caliper to be used with a 180mm rotor, or do I need a whole new caliper?? The Hope web site is a little sparse for details on spare parts and adapters etc.."

I guess this will be the deciding factor....
    "On yere Bike!!!!",

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon448
    Thanks to everyone that gave up some advice. I am tempted to keep the Mono's but I still have not had the question answered yet, "Also, is there an adapter to allow a 160mm front Hope Mono Mini caliper to be used with a 180mm rotor, or do I need a whole new caliper?? The Hope web site is a little sparse for details on spare parts and adapters etc.."

I guess this will be the deciding factor....
    Fistly, there is a brake forum just down the page. Second, Where is the brake going, what kind of mount and do you have the new post mount Hope brakes or the older IS mount. If it's the IS to IS you just use the Hope +20 IS adapter, P/N HBIS20. They also have + 20 for 74mm post mount, just look on the NET.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I too was in your boat - 7s vs Minis for the NEW 29er.

I weigh 185lbs and race XC and enjoy riding everywhere from Michigan [read few huge downhills], east coast/New Zealand [read wet] and Sierra Nevadas/Rockies [read big downhills]...and either brake will get the job done [thats what is truely important anyway] - however here are my more detailed HOs.

fresh off Juicy 7s [160 rotors]....no problems other than the noise on long steepish downhills....I snaped the post off the center of the piston with VERY little pressure as I removed the pads once....100 rides - no other issues.

THE MINIs work as well as the 7s and squak a bit as well on longer DHs. They seem to modulate better than the 7s - for me anyway. THE MINIS ARE FREAKING BEAUTIFUL and the CNC work really tickles my fancy.....only 6 rides so far.....can't stop looking at them, I must have a problem. ;>)

Just my HOs.
    Grand claims demand grand proof.

Glad to Be Alive

I've never used 'em.

Saints....................
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    I tried both the Hope Mono Minis and the Juicy 7's. I kept the Juicys. The Hope were just too noisy and they performed like crap on LONG downhills. But I will say that they look a lot cooler than the Avids
    Vecsus

HTFU or STFU

The Duuude, man...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Ya......I'll take the 220mph Camaro that smoked all the Euro exotics.

Edit: Oh ya, and the Avids.
    You made my point EXACTLY.

While the Camaro is just a chevy, that doesn't mean it won't take the Porshe in a race (sometimes).....but the Porshe is a fine peice of engineering....

Same for the on-topic items.
    FS: Everything

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Wow...Madre and I have never had mush with the 2 sets of Juicy's we have....weird...

What size rotors are you running? Maybe you are too fat for them?

Have you ridden any of Shimano's stuff?
    Fat? That was a harsh question, but maybe a little. 215-220 last year on Avids 6inch rotors, less than 200 right now on Hopes. I don't think that either weight is particularly horrible. This year's weight feels much better though.

As I wrote above I have ridden XTR's which stopped always the same but with less power than I like. Also as I said, it was down a looooonnnnnggg downhill run that dropped well over 2000 feet without much of a flat to give the brakes of a breather. Freaking awesome. I have also ridden the old deores, and they were always great, although I wasn't pushing it as much back then (I was about 240 when I had the Deores).

I don't think you can compare the riding performance of a pair of brakes with your wife on them to me. But you are a taller guy who must weigh something close to my weight, so I don't know what to tell ya with that-- my avids only faded once.

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    I have read that people have lots of squeal with hopes. I rarely hear any noise at all, weird. Mine are about 9 months old with about 800 miles on them. I now am riding on Kool stop pads (b/c that is what speedgoat.com recommended to me as a replacement), which I find have better modulation--I would swear that they are a soft pad material though, so I think they may wear out sooner than the stock pads.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ncj01
    You made my point EXACTLY.

While the Camaro is just a chevy, that doesn't mean it won't take the Porshe in a race (sometimes).....but the Porshe is a fine peice of engineering....

Same for the on-topic items.
    I'd add that then that the Avid Mechanicals are like an F150 truck. Best selling, reliable, and you can beat on em like it's rented tractor. I haven't ridden the Juicys or the Minis, but the wife & I have had 3 pair of the Magura Marta SLs in addition to several pair of the Avid Mechs. I made the switch to Martas in a silly weight weenie phase a while back, but am transitioning back to my old Avid Mechs. I like the KISS principle - and manual dial in ability.

I'm just not so sold on hydraulics, I suppose that was my point. Seems overkill - but I'm not a big guy like Padre and I'm too old to rail the downhills like I don't have a care. my 2cents. (that said my next bike build will be using a parts bin set of Martas. doh!)

banned
    To muddy the waters even further...

I would strongly argue in favor of Magura Louise, which are sold at a price comparable to Avid Juicy and Hope Mono Mini.

I've used Avid Mech, Hope Mini (old), Hope Mono M4, Hayes Hydraulic, Magura Louise. Have not used the Mono Mini, but I understand from those who have used the old and new Minis that the new one is less powerful but quieter. My Mono M4 are quieter than my old Mini, so I can believe that the newer caliper design improves the noise factor.

My thoughts:

Avid Mech -- easiest to install, reliable, allow you to use your existing V-brake levers if converting from Vs. Surprising power. Modulation acceptable with Avid Speed Dial levers, modulation OUTSTANDING with high quality levers like Avid Ultimate or Paul's Love Lever.

Hope Mini (old)
    -- Finicky installation, works best if you face the mounting tabs, modulation and feel are excellent, power is very good but fade can be an issue on long DH runs if you use small rotors. Using DOT 5.1 fluid helps on the fade issue. Noisy with Hope standard pads. Apparently they work very well with Galfer pads&rotors.

Hope Mono M4 -- Same finicky installation, modulation-power-feel are outstanding. Top notch. Occasional squeal, but not as much as the old design (non-Mono).

Magura Louise -- Shim installation that is a bit less finicky than Hopes. Excellent power, feel, modulation. Very quiet. The best disc brake I've used.

banned
    dubble post dilemmy

TRACKDADDY
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Fistly, there is a brake forum just down the page. Second, Where is the brake going, what kind of mount and do you have the new post mount Hope brakes or the older IS mount. If it's the IS to IS you just use the Hope +20 IS adapter, P/N HBIS20. They also have + 20 for 74mm post mount, just look on the NET.

Thanks Rivet I see it now.. I have the older IS mount and I'll look for the +20 IS adapter. I wanna say THANK YOU to everyone that has responded and I especially got a kick out of the car and truck comparison! I think I may just sell the bike with Avid Mechs and keep both set of brake for my own comparison down the road once I get the 29er up and rolling, who knows???
    "On yere Bike!!!!",

Bikes!
    I'd stay with Avid.

I havbe used pretty much every type of Hopes they've had on the market since around 1999, and I've always had the same problems, long break-in period, noisey, they don't work well for long and rattly levers, I went over to Avids in 2004 and haven't looked back since.

I've had Avid Juicy 7, Juicy Carbon and I've just received a set of BB7 for use on a bit more of a budget build, I can't rate them high enough! They work out of the box and keep working and getting better, no noise problems and they look great too...
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2014 Intense Tracer 275
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2000 Intense Tracer

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Article 48
    To muddy the waters even further...

I would strongly argue in favor of Magura Louise, which are sold at a price comparable to Avid Juicy and Hope Mono Mini.

I've used Avid Mech, Hope Mini (old), Hope Mono M4, Hayes Hydraulic, Magura Louise. Have not used the Mono Mini, but I understand from those who have used the old and new Minis that the new one is less powerful but quieter. My Mono M4 are quieter than my old Mini, so I can believe that the newer caliper design improves the noise factor.
    I don't see how the MonoMini would be less powerful than the old one when the same rotor size is used...they both have identical master/slave piston ratio's. In fact, this is true throughout the Hope line with the exception of the MonoTrials and possibly their new FR brake. So given the same rotor size, they should all have the same power. The difference is going to be how they handle heat.

Back on topic... I'm a huge Hope fan and recommend them over the Avids. But if you're like me (and apparently Law) and hover in the 200lb range while enjoying rides with the occational huge elevation loss, the Mini doesn't have the heat handling capability that something with more pad surface area (like the M4) will have.

LAW - I have that same issue with my Mini's, even just going down Story Burn to Brown's Camp.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

Law
    45 gone, 15 to go
    Quote Originally Posted by smudge
    I don't see how the MonoMini would be less powerful than the old one when the same rotor size is used...they both have identical master/slave piston ratio's. In fact, this is true throughout the Hope line with the exception of the MonoTrials and possibly their new FR brake. So given the same rotor size, they should all have the same power. The difference is going to be how they handle heat.

Back on topic... I'm a huge Hope fan and recommend them over the Avids. But if you're like me (and apparently Law) and hover in the 200lb range while enjoying rides with the occational huge elevation loss, the Mini doesn't have the heat handling capability that something with more pad surface area (like the M4) will have.

LAW - I have that same issue with my Mini's, even just going down Story Burn to Brown's Camp.

I that is a steep little bit there. I have ridden up that and it just about kills me to ride. Perhaps someday I will be able to ride up and over that one large root/stump or whatever. I am sure you know the spot.

The M4 is also a very sweet brake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast