Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expert Crasher

Dirt drops - Soma's take anyway

Was perusing the handlebar thread by FatWeasel, Handlebar options..., he posted a link to Soma's site so I popped on over - and behold - they have bars 'like Midges' with more length in the drops. EXACTLY what the Midges needed.

Called the Junebug. 31.8 clamp too - good if you don't need a lot of rise but the bad if you've invested in a nice riser stem and now can't use it.

What it is:

Drop bar designed with off road use in mind. Roomier in the drops than the On-One Midge. Shallower drop than WTB Dirt Drop. Slightly narrower than both. 31.8mm only.
    http://somafab.com/bar_junebug.html

Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Harmonius Wrench
    Meh! They lost me when the text said "...narrower than both." Narrower than a Midge? That isn't good.

I like the longer drop section, that is good, but the fact that these are narrower and come in white , (and from Soma) lead me to believe that this is more "urban hipster" than off road drop bar.

It probably will work for smaller riders though, so it isn't a total miscue.

Keep waiting GLG, there is something in the works from a well known off road drop bar designer that will address all of our concerns and be off road specific. Coming soon...........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    Meh! They lost me when the text said "...narrower than both." Narrower than a Midge? That isn't good.

I like the longer drop section, that is good, but the fact that these are narrower and come in white , (and from Soma) lead me to believe that this is more "urban hipster" than off road drop bar.

Keep waiting GLG, there is something in the works from a well known off road drop bar designer that will address all of our concerns and be off road specific. Coming soon...........
    56cm is still pretty wide yo.

Self-defeatist
    Agreed.

Keep waiting...
    How much longer?!

Interesting additions to the lineup over at Soma. Very familiar additions.

I like Soma and I'd consider a few of their bars, but in this case, I'm gonna keep waiting on Brant. Hopefully not much longer. I wish he'd come along and give us a bit of a hint.

C.
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If Soma starting making really high rise 31.8 stems to go with it'd work great. Even on my Peregrine, which is designed for drops, the fork is uncut and I have a 135mmx35d stem on it. For this type of bike a little narrower would be just fine.

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    If Soma starting making really high rise 31.8 stems to go with it'd work great. Even on my Peregrine, which is designed for drops, the fork is uncut and I have a 135mmx35d stem on it. For this type of bike a little narrower would be just fine.
    That's one of the problems I see, most of the high rise stems I'm tracking are 25.4.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarTed

True - little narrower is not good, though I'm thinking the longer drops might make up for that and this might be killer on a Crosscheck SS build or Peregrine I'm coveting . Oh, I'm waiting....

Midge Numbers
    # Width: 58cm at the drops
    # Reach: 64.5mm
    # Drop: 112mm
    # Center section: 375mm

Junebug Numbers
    - Width 56cm
    - Drop: 112mm
    - Reach: 65mm
    - Center section: 340mm
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Keep on Rockin...

Yep....

Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Or frame makers can just spec longer head tubes. When was the last time you saw a non-racer CX bike _without_ a truckload of spacers under the stem?

Salsa makes a nice 135d in a 25.4 and a 31.8 in a 115d but no 135d in a 31.8. I don't get it.

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J
    Or frame makers can just spec longer head tubes. When was the last time you saw a non-racer CX bike _without_ a truckload of spacers under the stem?

Salsa makes a nice 135d in a 25.4 and a 31.8 in a 115d but no 135d in a 31.8. I don't get it.
    It really bugs me that I have to go custom just to get a long head-tube these days.

Hear, Hear! I have 2" of spacers and a 35 degree stem on my La Cruz and the tops are still an inch lower than the saddle. Seems to me that bikes targeted at non-racers should be designed so that a 0" drop is achievable using common parts. Of course I'm sounding dangerously like a retro-grouch (plus being off-topic), so I'll shut up now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CLONG
    I'm gonna keep waiting on Brant. Hopefully not much longer. I wish he'd come along and give us a bit of a hint.
    C.
    It's called the Luxy bar, and it'll be here in a couple of months.

mtbr member
    Please someone start making taller head tubes so my bikes can stop looking like this:

(yes, the frame is a bit small, but it's the biggest (60 cm) they made at the time. I just bought a 62cm Crosscheck, and its headtube is only 20mm taller.)

Quote Originally Posted by Miker J

WTB: Niner SIR9, size L, first gen
    My blog about bikes and playgrounds.

Self-defeatist
    Quote Originally Posted by brant
    It's called the Luxy bar, and it'll be here in a couple of months.

Oop, I meant to say, "I wish he'd give us a sweet pic."

Thanks, Brant. I can't wait.

C.
    I'm covered in beer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    SPILL
    THE
    BEANS!

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ink1373
    SPILL
    THE
    BEANS!
    Well, like Brant posted- it'll be here in a couple months. Called the "Luxy Bar". (Or whatever it ends up being).

There is another one just around the corner ready to come out too. (Different company)

Yes: Two off road drop bar designs by the end of summer.

Expert Crasher
    Well, like Brant posted- it'll be here in a couple months. Called the "Luxy Bar". (Or whatever it ends up being).

There is another one just around the corner ready to come out too. (Different company)

Yes: Two off road drop bar designs by the end of summer.
    Got to be Salsa?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    Got to be Salsa?

Expert Crasher
    It makes sense.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My buddy is getting the Somas rather than the WTBs because they're narrower, he's not that big.
    I'm using the WTBs on a SS CX and I love them.
    The widest drop bar that I'd ever used was 44cm and the 60cm width felt funny at first but after using them a while I could never go back.
    One of the best things about bars like these is how much easier it is to brake in the drops.
    Also, how easy it is to climb in the drops.
    One criticism I have of the WTB and Soma bars is the way the bars taper in the handlebar clamp area. It limits the placement of cyclocross brake levers. They end up being farther apart than I'd like them and I find I can't use them as much as before.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy
    Please someone start making taller head tubes so my bikes can stop looking like this:

(yes, the frame is a bit small, but it's the biggest (60 cm) they made at the time. I just bought a 62cm Crosscheck, and its headtube is only 20mm taller.)
    Some people are (check the extension above the top tube), but sometimes still it isn't enough for some people....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by somacisco
    Some people are (check the extension above the top tube), but sometimes still it isn't enough for some people....
    Wow. And that's just to get the tops of the bars level with the saddle, or maybe +1". There's a guy around here the commutes on a CrossCheck with a way sketchy homemade stem extender. The thing is like a foot long, and gets the drops to a very upright almost cruise-rish position.

Harmonius Wrench
    Just an opinion here, but the problem with the Pake' and Gunnar shown isn't so much the head tube as it is the stem selection for drop bars that pretty much sucks today.

Take a look at the stems being used here: Both instances are stems meant for a much lower handle bar position, not for drop bars.

Here's a great thread on the subject: Voodoo Nakisi is a go for production? Looks like it...

Check it out, the subject of the drop bar design and proper stems is discussed fully there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    So when Salsa comes out with their new drop bar, will we see some MTB drop-bar specific stems as well?

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by the_eleven
    So when Salsa comes out with their new drop bar, will we see some MTB drop-bar specific stems as well?
    Salsa solved their issue, (or potential issue) in regards to the Fargo by designing the Fargo with a severely sloping top tube and a bit shorter top tube in relation to an El Mariachi, or any of their other rigs. Will they do a stem that is high rise? An "Erecto-stem"? No- I think the 40 degree rise stems that Salsa and Dimension sells through QBP is enough for a Fargo. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that is all you are going to see from them.

Now a horizontal top tube frame, like a VooDoo Nakisi, a Surly CrossCheck, or Vassago's Fisticuff needs a really erect stem. VooDoo is doing one, which will be available through BTI. I do not know if there will be different lengths or rises.

Of course, a custom stem is always an option here.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by justinb
    Wow. And that's just to get the tops of the bars level with the saddle, or maybe +1". There's a guy around here the commutes on a CrossCheck with a way sketchy homemade stem extender. The thing is like a foot long, and gets the drops to a very upright almost cruise-rish position.
    The top of the bars are way above the saddle (at least 3"). The top cap on the steerer clamp is saddle height.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by the_eleven
    I use a Salsa Moto Ace S.U.L. 130 degree (40d) x 135 on my Big Mama with 10mm of spacers to set the bar top level with the saddle.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy

Word! Starting to sound like Grant Pederson of Rivendell here, but that's my pet peeve with modern frames as well. Think the biggest reason why I got my D440 is, it's the only bike I've gotten on and ridden that already had the grips level with the saddle, without having to resort to ridiculous riser stems, or add on's, or the like, and that with a steerer tube cut to a sane length. It just felt...right from the get go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast