mtbr member
    Sep 2008

direct order 29 FS for an older, heavier, out of shape, been away for a while, rider

I think I want a YT Jeffsy 29 AL or AL comp.

Budget- happier at $2000, but the comp is $300 more if that's "worth" it.

I rode thousands of miles in college on a '93 Stumpjumper. Joined the Navy and didn't get back into riding until 2008 with a Cannondale Rush SL4, then didn't ride for a few years.

I'm now back into riding at the local mountain bike trail park, that has 14 miles of trails, many of which I don't have the skills yet to ride on the obstacles like the ramps or sketchy bridges. (i'm taking some bypasses until I get the skills back).

I'd like to get a new bike. I'm 5' 10" and 205lbs. The Cannondale feels pretty flexy and creaks a lot in the frame, even though I had the suspension set up for my weight (Meldon smith on the lefty, Push on the Fox shock). I even upgraded to 1x11 and new hydro brakes, but I feel the limited suspension and 26" wheels are holding me back.

I'm a "lazy" rider who likes to stay in the saddle unless I'm descending. I'd rather sit and pedal over stuff than "shredding" the trail and I ride pretty slow too. The terrain is very tight, twisty, sandy, roots, rocky (coral!?), and very abrupt transitions because in Florida, all the "hills" are man made.

I want to get my technical skills back up and get in shape at the same time. I'm also not buying this bike for Florida alone. We're military and move every few years. I tend to keep a bike about 10 years so future proofing would be good as well.

I do all my own bike work, have the tools and a work stand, so I'm interested in buying an online bike and avoiding the LBS if I can. They never have what I need anyway and they cater to the roadies mostly.
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)
    1993 Specialized Stumpjumper FS (bar hopper)

Danger Zone
    I "downgraded" from a carbon Rocky Mountain Instinct to the "low-end" 2018 YT Jeffsy AL and it's an absolute blast. I can't recommend it highly enough. I find it more fun than bikes I've ridden that were more than twice the price. That being said, it's a bike that makes you want to try to go faster and try to find the most fun line instead of the easiest line.

Based on what you've said, I'm not sure it's necessarily your style. Will it work and will you enjoy it? Probably. But if you really just like to leisurely ride along and stay seated through most stuff it sounds like you might be more suited for a fat bike or a plus bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks. I didnít get any feedback so I ordered the Jeffsy al 29. Itíll be here on the 14th. Going to try flats and five ten shoes instead of clips less like Iíve rode since Ď93. Dabbing a foot might help me in the rocks.

Danger Zone
    Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    Thanks. I didnít get any feedback so I ordered the Jeffsy al 29. Itíll be here on the 14th. Going to try flats and five ten shoes instead of clips less like Iíve rode since Ď93. Dabbing a foot might help me in the rocks.
    Flats are a good call. I switched back to flats from clips about 2 years ago and I'll never go back to clips. Riding is much more enjoyable now when I don't worry about unclipping. OneUp composite pedals are an excellent choice with FiveTen shoes.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just got a Jeffsy 27.5. I wouldn't recommend it for what you describe (trails and riding style), but it is a great price. Regardless, enjoy the new ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldFly View Post
    Flats are a good call. I switched back to flats from clips about 2 years ago and I'll never go back to clips. Riding is much more enjoyable now when I don't worry about unclipping. OneUp composite pedals are an excellent choice with FiveTen shoes.
    I'll second the recommendation on the flats. After being a BMX racer from the 70's and 80's I reluctantly rode clipless for years on my first mountain bikes but never had the feeling of comfort and control that I felt I was missing. I switched back to flats long before it was widely accepted and never looked back.

Coffee Drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    I just had my second real ride on the Jeffsy 29, I think you made a great decision!
    Pedals are a personal preference, I like being clipped in.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
    I'll second the recommendation on the flats. After being a BMX racer from the 70's and 80's I reluctantly rode clipless for years on my first mountain bikes but never had the feeling of comfort and control that I felt I was missing. I switched back to flats long before it was widely accepted and never looked back.
    I recently switched from clipless for 10+ years to flats too. Was pretty quick to get to used to them and I'll probably still ride clipless for occasional XC riding where my wheels stay pretty planted, but never again for rides where I'll be doing a lot of jumps, technical or AM riding. I feel like I'm a better rider and have better bike control because of it. So definitely worth the switch for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I think I'll get a lot of out it. I've always bought the best bike I could afford, and I quickly "get used to it". I still remember how awkward my stump jumper was at first. I was pretty much the first kid in college to have a suspension fork. It was amazing launching down staircases on the way to class when other guys were rattling their headsets loose. Then the cannondale was evolutionary as my first full suspension bike. Now I can't wait for 140mm of travel and 29's.

I ride the cannondale everyday on the street getting the kids to and from school, so I ride with sneakers on top of my crankbros pedals (which are slick when wet). I can jump curbs and speed bumps like that, so I can't wait to try real flats with pins. Sure it wears down the tires a little faster, but a couple of miles of commute helps me get more used to the bike when it's time to hit the trails.
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

mtbr member
    I'm also going to order a Jeffsy.
    Don't need 140 for my LT, but you can't ignore the value.

Shins are much Happier with clipless

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well she showed up yesterday. I got her built, set the sag and this morning was off to the local park. Holly cow, what an awesome bike! I have a lot to get used to over riding the 26" cannondale rush.

On the first ride down the street, the 29 feels like a 2 wheeled monster truck, yet the geometry feels like I'm riding a chopper, but sitting up over the handlebar. Weird, but I'm getting used to it.

Even with the medium frame, the dropper post is all the way down and I'm about 1/4 to 1/2" too high for my comfort. On the trails I kept it tall for the level stuff, but once in the trails, I dropped it one notch and was much more comfortable.

After a few miles of greens, I hit the black diamond trails and was clearing stacked log obstacles like I never have before. I even hit up 2 big decent ramps that I could never have tried on my old 26".

I used to be a "sit and spin" kind of rider, but with this bike, with the flat pedals, makes me want to get off the saddle and hammer everything. I love it.

Huge smiles all morning. I can't wait to get back on it and ride some more.

It's amazing how far bikes have come in a decade....
    direct order 29 FS for an older, heavier, out of shape, been away for a while, rider-img_8390.jpg
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

mtbr member
    That's great Zimm, glad you're enjoying it!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Update- after 3 trips to the mountain bike park, I'm hooked. Best bike I've ever ridden. I'm clearing obstacles I never could before. I'm now taking on double diamond trails, with a few little sections I have to either bypass or walk, but I'm getting better each time and doing most of the trails.

Dropping the seat and going off 2' drop offs isn't the nightmare it used to be. I'm too slow to jump off, so I just let the 29" tires roll down the nasty stuff. On my next trip I'm taking on that log downhill ramp in the pic.

direct order 29 FS for an older, heavier, out of shape, been away for a while, rider-img_8462.jpgdirect order 29 FS for an older, heavier, out of shape, been away for a while, rider-img_8569.jpgdirect order 29 FS for an older, heavier, out of shape, been away for a while, rider-img_8568.jpg
    2018 YT Jeffsy AL 29
    2005 Felt F75 (roadie)

Coffee Drinker
    Markham??

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Taildragger View Post
    Markham??
    Yup!

one sick puppy
    Yah Boy. I like your attitude. Go for it. Go big or go home.

By the way, a friend of mine just got the same bike and was super pumped so I'm excited to get out and ride with him and maybe sneak a little trail time to check it out. I just got my second ride in on my new Tallboy and am loving it already. So many nice bikes out there!!
    Saddle up, Effendi. We ride.

BigSki
    Jan 2014
    Wow, Zimm's got me thinking now. I'm still torn with spending north of $3k for a mail order bike that (on paper) is fairly short in the wheelbase (1205)--I'm 6'3" @ 220. I know GoldFly was on the RM Instinct and I had mentioned that it's on my list as well. As is the TREK Fuel 8 also talked about. But I keep going back to the VALUE--it's ridiculous! Also...as NOT a bike builder, am I going to need any special tools to put it together? NOTE: the '14 Fuel EX 9 I'm coming from surprised me by having a pretty short WB as well (1193) in addition to a 69.5 head angle. Am I overthinking this thing?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldFly View Post
    I "downgraded" from a carbon Rocky Mountain Instinct to the "low-end" 2018 YT Jeffsy AL and it's an absolute blast. I can't recommend it highly enough. I find it more fun than bikes I've ridden that were more than twice the price. That being said, it's a bike that makes you want to try to go faster and try to find the most fun line instead of the easiest line.

Based on what you've said, I'm not sure it's necessarily your style. Will it work and will you enjoy it? Probably. But if you really just like to leisurely ride along and stay seated through most stuff it sounds like you might be more suited for a fat bike or a plus bike.
    Hey man, was that the new Instinct or previous years?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    If you want to buy a bike based on longest possible wheelbase, you are looking at the wrong bikes. Regarding the jeffsy, all the tools you need are in the box. And its not exactly bike building. Its more like straighening the handlebar and mounting the pedals. And yes. You are probably over thinking it.

BigSki
    Jan 2014
    "Hi, my name is BigSki and I perseverate agonizingly on purchases of $300 or more."

...the extasy and the curse of rediscovering my bike self