mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Difference between Giant XTC 29er 2 and Talon

What are the major difference between a giant XTC 29er 2 and the Giant Talon?

Still trying to decide between mamba, cobia, rockhopper and now the XTC or talon.

DFMBA.org
    Please post the specs of each and we'll be glad to help.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member

link to a comparison of the XTC 2 ane Talon

Here is the link Giant Bicycles | United States
    Plus the XTC comes with a tapered head tube and the Talon does not.

I have the 2012 XTC 1 29er and I love the bike it has the same Frame set as the XTC 2 good geometry, fast and fun to ride.

mtbr member
    They are both great bikes. As mentioned the XTC does have the tapered head tube were the Talon does not, but they are both great frames and bikes. I personaly like the Talon better because it comes with SRAM components, and perfer SRAM over Shimano. Either way I dont think you could go wrong with either bike. Good luck with your decision.
    "Ideal bikes are not bought, they evolve beneath you"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The geo is different on these two to start. The XTC has short chainstays of 17.3" and a steep head tube angle of 71.5. It is designed to speed up the steering.
    Put it on All MounTain steep fast trail sections and it will seem twitchy and require your constant concentration. It is too fast for my taste. It has a decent but heavy fork. You can get responsive steering with a lighter fork, wheel and tire and go with more stable 69-70 head tube angles.
    The Talon has too long chainstays 17.6" and 70.5 degree head tube angle and a 5'5lb Suntour fork. It is equipped for bike paths and easy smooth trails. The fork lacks adjustable rebound damping and the bushings are not designed to deal with the heat buildup of speed and multiple bumps on more difficult trails.
    The current dual air Reba fork(3.5lb) equipped New Goblin from Airborne is a bike to add to your list. You could ride as is and for several years with normal upgrades over time(wheels, tires, brakes to SLX)

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Cool

mtbr member
    the XTC is a better value than the Talon. It is worth the step up in price imo. I can't comment on the other bikes listed unfortunately but I had looked at the Talon before deciding on the XTC. The geometry fit the terrain of my area better (tight twisty singletrack) where I thought the Talon would feel too slow in transitions. Not to mention the component spec is awful in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I test rode the Talon 0 yesterday.......The cockpit was comfortable...but maybe too relaxed for me. I kinda don't like how it was also setup with "bike paths" in mind. Don't get me wrong i ride bike paths all the time on my trail bike, but i want my trail bike to be a trail bike and feel like it so i'm not sure if in the long term i would be happy with the geo but i would have to demo it on trails to get a more accurate feel for it. I think i would be happier with the XTC's geo though.

I demoed a Spec' Carve and Stumpy HT Carbon and that geo was very aggressive, fun, and more along the lines of what i want.

But if the Talon feels great to you, that's all that matters. Just hop on different bikes so you can get a good feel of everything and make the right choice. Otherwise i think the Talon is a good package.

I will say i thought the rotational weight felt good on it. Then afterwards i found that in bikeradar's 1000 dollar bike roundup it had the lowest rotational weight of all the bikes. So keep that in mind as a serious plus.I thought the Carve felt like a tank in comparison.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have the 2012 XTC 2 29er and love it, so much it now looks like this.
    Photobucket
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    I test rode the Talon 0 yesterday...... i would have to demo it on trails to get a more accurate feel for it..
    And this is often difficult. But go off the parking lot up and down ditches and across lawns and hills if that is all you get. Scott bikes like the Scale 950 or last years Scale 29 Elite have slacker head tube angles. Treks are similar.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Do you think a 2011 XTC 29er 2 is a good deal at $825, it is also upgraded to a 1x8 drive train?