Make some music
    Sep 2004

Difference - 29er vs 700 wheels

29er and 700 wheels.... Is there a difference? I found a suspension fork for 700c wheels but no 29er. What's wit dat?
    J.O.R.B.A. More than just tm. WWW.JORBA.ORG

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Wheels? 29er rims are generally wider than 700C road rims. Rear hub spacing is 135mm rather than 130. Bead seat diameter is the same.

29er frames and forks have clearance for the 2+ inch tires.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Make some music
    Sep 2004

Clearance....

I guess the issue is going to be clearance at the arch. I have a 700 wheel to use off of a Schwinn Criss Cross hybrid. If I like it I would replace it with a 29er mtn wheel.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...ork%20Freakout

I'm going to guess that the 29er wheel and tire combination will have a clearance issue with this clearance fork..

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratocaster
    I guess the issue is going to be clearance at the arch. I have a 700 wheel to use off of a Schwinn Criss Cross hybrid. If I like it I would replace it with a 29er mtn wheel.

I'm going to guess that the 29er wheel and tire combination will have a clearance issue with this clearance fork..
    The hybrid wheel pretty much is a 29er wheel and should be able to handle any tire out there.

The fork in question does not have clearance for the wide tires.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Make some music
    Sep 2004

Much appreciated..

Thanks Shiggy. Your response and info is massively appreciated. It's folks like you that make this a great board.....

SS Clyde 29er

(takes a deep breath)

Quote Originally Posted by Stratocaster

Okay, essentially a 29er and a 700c are one in the very same thing. diameter-wise same wheel. if you put a "700c" wheel on your 29er or a 29er wheel on your 700c bike they will both fit because they are the same thing.

only lately have mostly manufacturers begun to more an more differentiate between the two. now a more 29er wheel will probably have a wider rim to accomidate a wider tire, but still the difference is minimal. for example i can put any of my 29er wheels on any of my cyclo-cross bikes or even my touring bike for that matter.

so wheel and fork-wise 29er/700c is the same in relation to diamater. the only thing u have to be conscientious of is tire with clearance in relation to your fork: ie a Reba shock fork is going to have way more clearance than say a cyclo-cross fork. thus a 29er shock/fork will accomidate a wider tire as opposed to a 700c shock/fork that will probably be narrower than a 2.0" tire.

the fork you are eyeing is really made for a hybrid type bike and im my humble opinion, id throw it back. yea the $99 price is tempting but if you ride it off road then you will be soon lusting for a real 29er type fork because of limited tire options, more limited suspension, quality, reliability, etc. I say save up a bit more $ and get something that you are going to be happier with for more than a week or two,( unless you stick to the bike path and run narrow knobbies exclusively).

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The hybrid wheel pretty much is a 29er wheel and should be able to handle any tire out there.

The fork in question does not have clearance for the wide tires.
    How much abuse could a hybrid wheel take vs a regular '29er' wheel, or regular 26" MTB wheel for that matter? For a beginner mtn biker?

And is there anything you can do to fit a hybrid rear wheel into a MTB rear dropout to make up for the 130 to 135mm difference? Longer skewer, etc?

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by knucklesandwich
    How much abuse could a hybrid wheel take vs a regular '29er' wheel, or regular 26" MTB wheel for that matter? For a beginner mtn biker?

And is there anything you can do to fit a hybrid rear wheel into a MTB rear dropout to make up for the 130 to 135mm difference? Longer skewer, etc?
    99.9% of hybrids have 135mm rear spacing.

A hybrid wheel is basically a 29er wheel...some 29er wheels are stronger.