Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Did you sell your "old" mountain bike when updating/upgrading to a new bike?

I have an early 2015 Santa Cruz Tallboy (alloy) that I've heavily upgraded. I paid $2200 for it (new) and have put about $800 into it. It has only around 1000 miles (mostly dirt) and has never been crashed. However, I have recently been smitten by a closeout 2016 Niner Carbon FS bike. So, I bought it. It rides a bit better than my old Tallboy, plus it's almost 4 pounds lighter. I think that I could still get at least $1200 for my old Tallboy, but that's still a big loss...for a bike I still really like. Do most riders keep their last bikes for a while?

Did you sell your "old" mountain bike when updating/upgrading to a new bike?-sc-tallboy-enhanced-.jpg

mtbr member
    I only sell bikes if they replace something I own, or I violate the S-1 rule..

Probably don't need 2 FS 29ers, so I'd be looking to move it to another home.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Yeah, why not?

noob bikepacker
    I kept my old (1994 Trek Mountain Track 830) when I got my Surly Krampus. It is now my commuter/paved trails bike. It has been through too much for me to get rid of it. Plus it is still fun to ride on some of the less aggressive trails around here
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro

Two wheels are best
    We (My wife and I) usually sell our old bikes when we buy a new one. We have 3 bikes each (MTB, Road and Urban). Keeping the older bikes just isn't practical for us. Better to find them good homes where they'll get ridden.
    Never be afraid to try something new.

Remember amateurs built the Ark.
    Professionals built the Titanic.

Off the back...
    Agreed with others, S-1 and not duplicating bikes are the main reasons to sell. If it's a net-new bike, like a fat FS or 29+ hardtail, that's a different story.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Mountain bikes take a huge depreciation hit. It's just how it is.

If you don't repurpose the bike to a significantly different role (like a lock-up commuter, fender rain bike, etc.) that merits keeping it around then get rid of it.
    Yamaguchi School Cyclocross • 907 Fat Bike • Salsa Vaya Travel

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    I kept my old (1994 Trek Mountain Track 830) when I got my Surly Krampus. It is now my commuter/paved trails bike. It has been through too much for me to get rid of it. Plus it is still fun to ride on some of the less aggressive trails around here

Yeah, did the same with a 1991 HardRock. Added fenders and a kid seat-compatible rear rack. Looks kind of cool, gives me a 2nd bike and I still have sentiment about it as my first mtn bike from the days before we moved anywhere near mountains.

* My guess is many get other bike/s that are of different characteristics and justify keeping older bikes for a back up, friends or relatives visiting or to use based on what they feel like riding for specific ride plans/venues.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    Yeah, did the same with a 1991 HardRock. Added fenders and a kid seat-compatible rear rack. Looks kind of cool, gives me a 2nd bike and I still have sentiment about it as my first mtn bike from the days before we moved anywhere near mountains.

* My guess is many get other bike/s that are of different characteristics and justify keeping older bikes for a back up, friends or relatives visiting or to use based on what they feel like riding for specific ride plans/venues.
    Yep. I feele like I could still use the Trek if I updated the fork and brakes, but I also really like it as my commuter because I am used to the feel...and getting the Krampus allowed me to update everything. I have only owned 4 bikes total in my life so I don't feel bad about adding the Krampus. Will be adding my 5th this summer when I get my new BMX. I update bikes about every 20 years or so...
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro

mtbr member
    Back up in case new one has to go to shop.
    2016 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)
    2013 Specialized Camber Carbon
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I don't think a FS commuter is a great idea. A used road/cross/gravel bike is a much better option. In my world 2 mountain bikes is a must, gotta have a backup so I don't miss any rides. You could sell the frame and put your parts on a hardtail and have 2 different types of bike. Another option is to convert it to a single speed.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    I sold my first bike to help finance the next, did the same with my second bike and that brought me to my current bike but I did get an used cx bike for outside trail riding.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2012 CX Kona Jake
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I like to keep extra bike for:
    - when one's in the shop - hate to be without my big bike
    - rain/mud bike
    - loaner

If you don't ride the bike, sell it and give it a good home.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Nope. I'm currently at S-1...barely. 😬

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Seems like a waste to have both. (Psst. What size is it?).
    2015 Surly Krampus SS
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Seems like a waste to have both. (Psst. What size is it?).
    That was good lol
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2012 CX Kona Jake
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

transmitter~receiver
    I'd get rid of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I typically sell the old one to fund the new one. I'll ride my cross in the meanwhile. Makes the new bike seem that much better too.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I wouldn't keep a similar, inferior bike around solely because it might be used if the other one breaks. You're only asking because of an emotional connection to it, but it's not unique. If you sell it and miss it, you can buy it again later. It'll continue to lose value as it sits. Better to add something different and interesting (29+ HT?) if you want a backup.

mtbr mumbler
    My last one I planned to sell but then my son asked if he could have it. He hadn't expressed much interest in riding in the past, when I would take him to trails he would quickly be ready to go home as soon as he felt a little tired. And I told him a full suspension wasn't the best thing for riding around the neighborhood but he wanted to try riding it on the trails. So we went riding and it was good timing as he had matured to the point that he would really ride.

So it worked out well.
    2014 Santa Cruz Superlight 29
    2005 Jamis Dragon
    2003 Jamis Dakota XC converted to single speed

mtbr member
    I have 2 of my old bikes that I would have a hard time getting rid of. I have a 1991 Joe Breeze lightning. Its Maroon, and just so pretty. Its fully ridged, and my wife uses it as a town bike. Then I have a 1998 or 9 Schwinn Homegrown factory in Bass boat blue. Its got lime green marzochi forks. I love it, and it still get regular outings on the trails. My 13 year old son also has a particular fondness for it. He rides it more than his Trek full suspension bike.

MTB B'dos
    Don't bother, as you said, you won't get didly squat for it, unless you are in dier financial straights, just keep it as a back up and maybe look into it as a new project to make it more different to the new bike. N+1 is always a good idea, take too big a hit selling off old bikes, unless you have a bud who is looking to get into MTBing, then maybe that's when the hit isn't so bad
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It is a sunk cost, not a loss. Just sell it to offset some of the cost of your new bike or keep it as a second bike if you like it because it isn't going to increase in value.

You will never get back the full upgrade cost and one needs realistic expectations on the value of their used bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Great answers....thanks, guys!

mtbr member
    If you love your old bike, and still think you're going to use it once and a while, I'd keep it. However, if you think you can get $1200 for it, I'd go ahead and sell it, and keep the cash to buy something totally different as a backup bike. A great backup bike is a single-speed rigid as it gives you a totally different experience, and is generally maintenance free. I like to take my inexpensive single-speed with me on vacation to ride some singletrack.
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2009 Haro Mary SS
    2015 Trek Stache 7
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    if you can afford it and you ride a lot you should have a backup bike. nothing sucks like having time to ride but you can't because something is wrong with yo whip.

i am violating my own rule for now but i do have a backup rear wheel as that seems to be the most likely point of failure for me currently.

mtbr member
    I hate having things I do not use. Clothes, bikes, golf clubs...etc. I had 4 bikes at one.
    Looking back they were stepping stones: affordable motobecane hardtail got me back into biking after lots of sports injuries, then full susp motobecane also affordable, then rocky mtn hardtail frame I built up, then on-one codeine fulls susp. I also bought as frame and built up. There was such a logical progression looking back on it....anyway, they all had their purpose, gave moto hardtail to college nephew, sold moto full to newbie buddy, keeping the rocky and the codeine. The codeine by chance happens to fit me absolutely perfectly. I guess I am saying if it is down to only two bikes, I would keep them, no more though. I even feel like I have to equalize the time on the two. But man it has come in handy when one needs work or whatever.

mtbr member
    If I could afford to own more than one bike, I might keep old stuff. I have to sell one bike part to justify buuing anything new.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I've converted my old 26" hardtail into a commuter with road rims and disc brake. 700x40c tires on Mavic open pro rims fit. It has a rigid fork and a bigger Deore crank ring 48t too.
    Re-purpose your old bikes if you can or just keep them around for friends to borrow.
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I sold my '98 Specialized Rockhopper FS sometime in the early '00s. But... I still have my '07 Trek 3700 26er after I upgraded to a X-Caliber 29er in 2013. The 3700 is worth about $80 according to Bicycle Blue Book. It's a good backup bike in case the 29er has to go to the shop.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I've kept my old bike up to this point with the idea of it being a loaner. I may sell it though and see if I can get something cheap that is more distinct from my current bike. Both are full suspension trail bikes and my new one does pretty much everything better, so a different style bike (maybe dropbar adventure bike or a hard tail) might get more use.

mtbr member
    I have a full suspension and a singlespeed. If I buy a new bike, it will be a new full suspensions or new singlespeed and I will sell the old one to fund it.
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2016 Salsa Pony Rustler
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I've kept mine and it gets used a lot by friends that want to give mountain biking a shot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I am thinking about getting a stache too if my phantom plus build doesn't work out but if I do get it- I'm keeping my phantom. hang one up on the wall like art- and if you ever need it- its there. Plus you get to tinker with them on your off days. Nothing like greasing and performing maintenance on them to relieve stress.

I did sell my cannonade HT to fund this project, but that bike was in a lower class than the phantom and stache- which I would keep both. Kind of like having a skinny and fat girl when you want em .

mtbr member
    Sell it and get a single speed like said above. It is a total different ride than a geared FS and you can get something sweet for 1200
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Two of essentially the same spec no, but it's nice to have two different types, e.g. and hardtail and a FS, or a 29er and a 26er etc. You have a spare for when one is getting some love, and they give you a different ride experience.

mtbr member
    I bought a 91 Stumpjumper comp new. 10 years later I sold it to my buddy Brad. About ten years after that drinking beer in his garage I asked him what ever happened to the Stumpy? He looked straight up and pointed to it stuck in the rafters. So I bought it back. I have issues, I need a cookie.

mtbr member
    In 95 or so, traded my joe murry Kona Cinder Cone with a buddy for a surfboard, didn't even live near ocean, dumb, that Kona fit me so well.....I have thought about reconnecting with him to see if he still has it....I wanted to learn to surf so bad, but knees and proximity to ocean precluded me from doing so....might have been my first new bike I ever purchased.

mtbr member
    Whenever I buy a bike that replaces another bike, I try to get rid of the old one ASAP.

You will not ride it because you have a newer favorite, it loses value quickly, and it takes space. Less is more.

If you are concerned about the a big loss:

1. It's a bigger loss not to sell it. $1200 loss.
    2. You will sell it eventually, and if you sell it in a couple of years its even bigger loss than selling right now.
    3. Replacing a bike is always a major expense. That's a loss you have to plan on before you do it and not think about it afterwards.

Analyst rating: Sell

mtbr member
    Very good and wise answers, guys! I am kinda glad that I still have my "old" Tallboy as my "new" Niner needs some warranty work on the shock and maybe even the frame! :/ So, my new $3K+ bike is now on the sidelines...go figger!

MTB B'dos
    Now aren't you super happy you didn't rush to listen to all those who said sell the TB While every company has some issues, I've not seen as many complaints about SC bikes as I have about Niners, I know for sure no matter how discounted they ever are, I will never own another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edslittleworld View Post
    Very good and wise answers, guys! I am kinda glad that I still have my "old" Tallboy as my "new" Niner needs some warranty work on the shock and maybe even the frame! :/ So, my new $3K+ bike is now on the sidelines...go figger!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Keep it. You'll regret selling your first mtn bike. I still have mine and am so glad I held on to it

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    I traded my old one in towards my new one. Though it had sentimental value going from 29er to a b+ was well worth it. My 29er was a entry hardtails to begin with anyway (made into something much more over the years).

And I have 3 bikes. Fat and road are the other 2 and I don't race so the 29er stopped getting ridden once I got my fat bike set up right. Just made sense.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for ITUO and Ravemen:
    www.rakcindustries.com

mtbr member
    Yes and no.
    Like a few have said.
    If the new bikes is nearly the same as the old one, I'll sell it.
    I have a Procal for my XC races. Bought a Niner RKT 9 for a FS XC race bike. Ended up liking the HT feel more. Sold the RKT to get a Stache 9.6 29+ bike to use as a play around bike
    Sold my Opt ti Vassago SS for the new Vassago Mooseknuckle.

At the rate I am going, my goal is to have a bike for just about ever discipline I ride.
    My next bike is a 29er 140-160 travel FS and at one point i'll through in a 27.5 FS
    maybe a 27.5+ HT or FS also.

I just like having bikes I guess... ( I need a bigger garage)
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    There are many good reasons to keep 1) Backup bike when one is in the shop, 2) Bike for visiting friend or family member, 3) Practicing on features that could leave new bike damaged. For me there are two particular trail systems where navigating jagged rocks and getting over tricky rock ledges can put some dings in your bike if you don't execute perfectly. For those, I prefer to leave my 2017 all-carbon Primer in the garage and ride my 2014 aluminum Remedy. Also, even though both are FS trail bikes, my Primer is configured more for XC/Trail while my Remedy is configured more for AM/Enduro. I also have an HT that I've kept but it doesn't see much action any more. All three are 29ers as I see no real need for anything else from a wheel size perspective.

mtbr member
    I have a Procal for my XC races. Bought a Niner RKT 9 for a FS XC race bike. Ended up liking the HT feel more. Sold the RKT to get a Stache 9.6 29+ bike to use as a play around bike

Man...you are a bike fool (in a good way). I had to look up Vassago. They are apparently in my home state of Arizona.

Also, I'm dying for a superlight HT. Is the Stache the answer??

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Mine is becoming wife's bike. That was also my way "in" to my new bike coming 💀......🤣🤣🤣

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Edslittleworld View Post

Man...you are a bike fool (in a good way). I had to look up Vassago. They are apparently in my home state of Arizona.

Also, I'm dying for a superlight HT. Is the Stache the answer??

I live in AZ, If you wanna test out the Moose, let me know.
    The Stache 9.6 is 28 lbs But its Very fun.
    my Procal is light. super light. fast and fun.
    Too Many .

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    I live in AZ, If you wanna test out the Moose, let me know.
    The Stache 9.6 is 28 lbs But its Very fun.
    my Procal is light. super light. fast and fun.
    Other than its very unique and sexy looks, what made you choose the Moose over the new Optimus with the identical updated geo?

I'm curious because I'm trying to decide between those two frames right now, and I need to deliver a decision to Tom before the new shipment arrives next week...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    Other than its very unique and sexy looks, what made you choose the Moose over the new Optimus with the identical updated geo?

I'm curious because I'm trying to decide between those two frames right now, and I need to deliver a decision to Tom before the new shipment arrives next week...

I talked to Tom at the trail about a month ago and the Moose has a 1* slacker HA.
    I loved the way the Moose looked. If true on the HA I wanted a little slacker. I rail his bikes DH and it climbs very well.
    I wasn't aware he was boosting the new Optimus's but I knew the Moose was boost which I also wanted.
    Too Many .

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    I talked to Tom at the trail about a month ago and the Moose has a 1* slacker HA.
    I loved the way the Moose looked. If true on the HA I wanted a little slacker. I rail his bikes DH and it climbs very well.
    I wasn't aware he was boosting the new Optimus's but I knew the Moose was boost which I also wanted.
    The brand new 2017 Verhauen and Optimus Ti frames arriving next week are both boosted and now share the exact same geo as the Mooseknuckle -- which is why this decision has been so damn difficult for me!

First World problems, I know...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast