mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Did I buy the right size bike? ( Medium Giant Revel 29er - 5'10" )

Hello everyone,

Recently bought a Medium Giant Revel 29er (18" frame). 5'10" with avg inseam...(~32" jeans). Spent alot of time at the LBS discussing whether this bike was too big. They were very patient and felt confident it was the right size.

Revel 29er 0 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

There were no smalls of this model to try, but I did try a small 2012 Giant Roam 29er (17" frame). They thought it was too small.

Roam 0 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

I plan to use the bike 80% of the time for exercise on the road, and the rest of the time on off pavement trails (mild to medium technical).

As I flipped through the Giant bike manual, it talks about standing over the bike and bouncing vigorously on your heels and making sure you don't touch the top bar. And it mentions needing a minimum of 3" clearance to your crotch if you are doing any off pavement riding. So I naturally started second guessing. Plus, being my first 29er, this thing is a big beast!!! It just seems big.

So I plan to drop by the LBS tomorrow to discuss it again, but wanted to ask if anyone could please weigh in with their thoughts.

Thank you

Oh btw, it was interesting to me to see that this model of bike was reduced in size between the 2012 (30.2" standover) and 2013 (29.5" stand over) models. Wondering if they tried to make it more of a true medium?

mtbr member
    I'm not familiar with these specific models but I'm pretty much the same dimensions as you and for 95% of manufacturers I would ride a medium frame bike.

No Stranger to danger....
    Im 5'8 and ride a medium giant reign, and its on the small side for me, giants are made small if anything, at 5'10 a small would have been too small and cramped for you, you have the right size, your bike shop was spot on.
    If your feeling like its too big throw a 50mm stem on there, and maybe go wider bars, the bike will handle better anyway with a 50mm stem imo.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Definitely not a small. Don't worry too much about the standover. Most companies spec 5-10 as top of the medium range

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here is a link to Wrench Science Fit guide, you have to register to use it, but I do not get SPAM.

https://www.wrenchscience.com

After doing all the measurements it told me my frame size at 6' 33" inseam was 17-18. One thing the Wrench science calculator take into account is your flexibility.

I have one bike with a 20" (FS) seat tube and the other with a 17" (HT). I have them both setup with the same reach to the bars and the seat height from the BB to top of seat. Both are comfortable and no problems with either with my size 13 feet. I think a lot of people choose a size down when going to a 29er because it just feels bigger than the same size 26er. Some actually prefer it to make the bike more nimble and of course a slightly stiffer frame. Take a tape measure to the LBS and try a bunch of different bikes and then take some measurements.

Good luck in your search, they say it is easier to make a small bike fit you than a big bike.

Todd

P.S. my FS bike says L (20") fits from 5' 7" - 5' 11" . My HT 17" says it fits 5' 8" to 5' 11" .
    Last edited by TAPnTX; 03-24-2013 at 11:11 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm 5' 10" tall. My cylcling inseam measurement is 34" (from crotch to floor) but I wear 32" Levis. When I buy a new bike/frame I debate between a medium and a large. A small will definitely be too small for you. Stand-over is of no interest to me. My legs are proportionately long compared to my torso. Stand-over may matter to people with short legs. Nor do I care much about seat tube length. The one measurement that is important to me is effective top tube length. I usually try to find a frame with an ETT of 23.5". I can raise or lower the seat for my leg length but I don't want a frame that is too cramped or I'm too stretched out.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm 5'8'' on a REALLY good day and have a 32" inseam. Every bike I've owned over the past 20 years has been a medium (Cannondales and Specialized). I ride 99% off road and 1% on road just to link trail sections. I have never had a problem with stand over height, and I ride the rocky, root infested technical trails of New England. My current bike is a medium Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er. It felt ENORMOUS when I first got on it. That lasted for about 10 minutes, now it seems just like an extension of my body. I can't imagine that a medium is too big for you, just give it time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm also 5-10 and i ride a medium,its not a giant though its a specialized epic.I know a small is to small for me and a large is to big.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by silver10 View Post
    As I flipped through the Giant bike manual, it talks about standing over the bike and bouncing vigorously on your heels and making sure you don't touch the top bar. And it mentions needing a minimum of 3" clearance to your crotch if you are doing any off pavement riding.
    I'll bet you a lawyer wrote that to limit liability, not to insure adequate fit.
    It sounds pretty ridiculous to me.
    Seems like you've got the correct size bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Yes, they are required to put some verbiage in there for CPSC reasons. Standover is totally irrelevant to any even vaguely experienced cyclist while *riding*. Inexperienced folks often injure themselves when mounting or dismounting, hence the butt-covering liability-speak in the manual. Even good riders can run into problems if clearance is really lacking, especially if trying to mount from the downhill side of a bench cut trail or something. Solution: walk around your bike and mount from uphill.

CPSC regs are also why children's bikes have such insanely high bottom brackets for their crank lengths - so if some superstar kid leans 45 degrees while pedaling through a corner, they won't hit their pedal and crash. Of course, a super high BB makes it quite hard for many kids to learn to ride in the first place, c'est la vie.

Unless you are very unusually proportioned, I'm sure the bike will fit fine. You might someday want to change things about the fit or geometry and then you can start shopping all over again, but if you're comfortable on the bike you are good to go.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My giant trance 26 is a medium an I am 6'0 with 32" inseam. Feels perfect. Just bought a trance 29er, went with medium again and it does feel a little bigger for sure but still feels like it fits me well. I would think a medium would be perfect for you. Small is going to be way too small.

Keep on Rockin...
    Based on what seems to be the effective TT length, a medium is definitely the right choice.

Standover is a not a good way to size mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Definitely not a small.

Fat & Single
    Im a bees dick off 5"10" and buy bikes going on 600mm/24" ETT, this always ends up a MED, adjustments then made with seatpost and stem length.

The spoiler to this rule is if you have legs not in proportion to your arms.... in extreme cases (dinosaur or monkey) having long arms/short legs or short arms/long legs could move you up to a Large or down to a small.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Did I buy the right size bike? ( Medium Giant Revel 29er - 5'10" )-monkey-punch-dinosaur1.jpg  

Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm 5'9 with 32" inseam and test rode a Medium Talon, it fit perfectly. Sounds about right for you (medium). The only thing to look at is to make sure the fitting is right (stem, saddle position).

I just test rode a bunch of bikes and standover was something I didn't even look at or care about. It was all about geometry, fit, and pedal position.

I'm sure that frame is the right size for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks everyone for the input, I really appreciate it. I did go back to the LBS to discuss and medium is definitely the right fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by silver10 View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input, I really appreciate it. I did go back to the LBS to discuss and medium is definitely the right fit.
    Great. Now just ride, have fun and be confident you have the right size.

For extra confirmation: I am 5'11" and in between Medium and Large size. I chose a Large and I am happy for it. Seat post and stem lengths are quite normal and what I like (90mm stem, 710 bars). There is very little chance someone 1" shorter has the body measurements that would make a small a good fit.