mtbr member

Did Anyone Else See This? Great Deal!!!

I've been considering drinking the 29er Kool-Aid for a couple months, but the deal I just found pushed me over the edge.

Inky Bikes (El Cajon, CA) has Giant Anthem X2 29er's for $1,999! These aren't demo or shop bikes - brand new from Giants warehouse.

I must admit that I was a bit leery at first because after calling a dozen LBS's, I couldn't even find the X3 for that price. Well, I spent a while talking to Jason from Inky on the phone and felt confident enough to place the order. They brought the bike in from Giants warehouse (back east somewhere) for me. Every email I exchanged with Jason was returned within an hour. His customer service was amazing! I am stoked to have stumbled on this deal and thought I'd pass along to try to help anyone else that might be thinking about grabbing a remaining '11 Anthem.

I got the bike yesterday, will post pics and first ride report soon...
    Sola Fide

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

mtbr member
    Yes, that's the bike I got. 2011 AX 2.

From what I understand, Giant switched up the model numbering so that the 2012 X1 is now the equivalent of the 2011 X2...confusing.
    Sola Fide

Riding rigid
    Mar 2007
    Great deal!
    Its on their website. They also have X3s but the deal is not as good.
    Catch is you have to be somewhat local to pick it up, they can't ship.

banned
    My LBS has some in VA, but only in Large. Picked one up 2 weeks ago myself.

MTB B'dos
    Holy crap, that's one hell of a deal you found yourself Enjoy the new ride and post pics and thoughts as you seemed to still be on the fence about it wheel size wise - let us know if it was the right decision. I'm thinking that it most definitely will be, but not everyone seems to fall for 29ers. Again, smokin' deal, congrats.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hello, I see Wheel World has the 2012 X2 for 2250.00. Are you saying the 2011 is more desirable? thanks Rich

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The 2011 is a nicer parts spec. The shop I work at is clearing out some of last years giants at similar prices but unfortunately again you have to be able to walk in to pick it up...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Looks like you and the OP are right. 2012 X1 has just about the same spec as the 2011 X2.. I may pick one up. Although I dislike the color scheme. Sounds like a good. thanks Rich

MTB B'dos
    Giant seems to pull this BS the following year after releasing a new bike and it seems to work on a lot of customers who just see the numeric designation and figure they're getting a better deal, when in fact the current years model 2 is actually somewhere closer to the previous years model 3. They did it with the Trance/Reign, then Anthem, then the XTC and now it seems the AnthemX 29er

Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    Hello, I see Wheel World has the 2012 X2 for 2250.00. Are you saying the 2011 is more desirable? thanks Rich
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    I wasn't thrilled with the 2011 X2 color scheme either; but will say that it looked much better in person! I rode a demo X3 (blue/white) and liked it but the LBS best price was 2K for the demo bike. It made bumping up to a brand new X2 for $1,999 a no-brainer!

Regarding the distance - if you are anywhere near then a road trip to San Diego is always a fantastic idea. If you don't live in the SW; there are creative options. Get a local MTBR'r to "pick it up" for you, pay the BFranklin and get it shipped. I've found MTBR guys very helpful no matter where they live. Either way, I'd say call Jason at Inkybikes and talk to him. The customer service from this shop was great, plus you're getting an amazing bike.

Pics and ride experience to come...
    Sola Fide

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    They are out of larges now in the 2011 bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Wheel World in Culver City price matched, so I decided to go for it. They called Inkys and were told 1 large left in stock, which was around 11:30 am. Plus WW has no interest financing for a year, which makes the deal that much sweeter. The red cables have got to go. Rich

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Giant seems to pull this BS the following year after releasing a new bike and it seems to work on a lot of customers who just see the numeric designation and figure they're getting a better deal, when in fact the current years model 2 is actually somewhere closer to the previous years model 3. They did it with the Trance/Reign, then Anthem, then the XTC and now it seems the AnthemX 29er
    It isnt "pulling BS". It is a large company that knows they sell bikes to a certain price point. With pricing going up, they can either 1) increase the price and lose the price sensitive customers, or 2) reduce spec and still be competitive in their market.

They simply choose 2. Any *educated* consumer should be looking at spec, regardless of what the number on the side says, and any other consumer is there looking on price, and letting the sales person do their job, either in saying "spend more for better specs", or "this will work for your needs, in your budget range, but here are the compromises".

BTW, its not just Giant. Many, many companies do this.

MTB B'dos
    It's BS though and not a "Because prices have increased" thing, because after that renaming in year two the parts just about stay the same as does the price for the next couple years, it's a very clever bit of bait and switch for those not into bikes and savy of the components. They see the model from last year AnthemX2 and it's $2900, then they see this years AnthemX 2 and it's only $2300, WOW smoking deal right - same bike, $600 less How many people honestly really starting out know the difference between Deore and LX/SLX

Quote Originally Posted by el_chupo_ View Post
    It isnt "pulling BS". It is a large company that knows they sell bikes to a certain price point. With pricing going up, they can either 1) increase the price and lose the price sensitive customers, or 2) reduce spec and still be competitive in their market.

They simply choose 2. Any *educated* consumer should be looking at spec, regardless of what the number on the side says, and any other consumer is there looking on price, and letting the sales person do their job, either in saying "spend more for better specs", or "this will work for your needs, in your budget range, but here are the compromises".

BTW, its not just Giant. Many, many companies do this.
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks View Post
    Wheel World in Culver City price matched, so I decided to go for it. They called Inkys and were told 1 large left in stock, which was around 11:30 am. Plus WW has no interest financing for a year, which makes the deal that much sweeter. The red cables have got to go. Rich
    A quick pic after a few changes
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm still dialing it in, but it rides great
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Did Anyone Else See This?  Great Deal!!!-img_0623.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    They are out of larges now in the 2011 bike
    I saw this thread too late

mtbr member
    Awesome find on a great bike!
    2012 Anthem X 29er in the build process
    2010 Diamondback Mission

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I wish I could buy one of these bikes, I have tried with some different LBS out of Texas to sell and ship one to me but they just say NO NO .

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Wheelworld still has them for $2200, but I asked and they can order any size from Giant still.