mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Diamondback Overdrive vs Fuji Tahoe 29 comp, any opinions for a new guy

Both are priced under $600 at different LBS, just need more info on both

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Really like the parts package on the Diamondback..
    [SIZE="5"]I am Cyclingdirt[/SIZE]

Former Bike Wrench
    Really like the parts package on the Diamondback..
    Interesting...

The Fuji has better shifters, derailleurs, brakes, and rims...and is pretty much equal everywhere else.

The Fuji looks like the better deal at under $600 and I know they ride well as I own a Windsor Cliff 29er which is almost the same bike (minus the double diamond downtube)

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    You believe the SRAM derailleurs & shifters are better than the Shimanos?

Former Bike Wrench
    You believe the SRAM derailleurs & shifters are better than the Shimanos?
    Yes, but in this case the 2009 DB Overdrive is also running SRAM...although its the lower X-4 8 speed stuff (compared to the SX-5 9 speed on the Fuji).

SX-5 is comparable to Deore and works quite well...SRAM really shines IMO when the conditions get wet and muddy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If you're near a Dick's Sporting Goods they sell the Diamondback for $499. Grab a sale and you can do it for less.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Looking at the geometry, the Fuji has absurdly long chainstays. I'd get the DB, you'll find it easier to lift the front wheel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Rookie question.....chainstay length similar to wheelbase?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Chainstays are the frame tubes connecting the bottom bracket to the rear dropouts (which hold the read axle). The length is the distance from the center of the BB spindle to the center of the rear axle.

Longer chainstay length will give you a smoother ride by a little bit, but the longer lever arm (physics term) will make it harder to lift the front when riding (particularly on 29ers). Longer stays may also reduce climbing traction, as it will be harder to get weight over the rear wheel.

Chainstay length comprises part of the wheelbase. A longer wheelbase will make the bike feel more stable, but slower turning.

Former Bike Wrench
    The Fuji has a 455mm chain stay...the Diamondback is 440mm

I've seen them anywhere from 440mm (Niner, Fisher, Specialized) to 445mm (Redline) to 450mm (Jamis) to 454mm(Cannondale)

Shorter chainstays will make it easier to lift the front wheel, but I have yet to have an issue with lifting my front wheel on my Windsor and I ride with a couple Cannondale 29er riders who have also never complained or had an issue lifting the front wheel. So I would chalk up "absurdly long chainstays" as merely one person's opinion and not fact.

mtbr member

Chainstay

Is the distance from the BB (where the pedals connect) to the rear axle, so yes, it's part of the wheelbase.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    The Fuji has a 455mm chain stay...the Diamondback is 440mm

I've seen them anywhere from 440mm (Niner, Fisher, Specialized) to 445mm (Redline) to 450mm (Jamis) to 454mm(Cannondale)

Shorter chainstays will make it easier to lift the front wheel, but I have yet to have an issue with lifting my front wheel on my Windsor and I ride with a couple Cannondale 29er riders who have also never complained or had an issue lifting the front wheel. So I would chalk up "absurdly long chainstays" as merely one person's opinion and not fact.
    Well, of course it's my opinion!

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme Moore
    If you're near a Dick's Sporting Goods they sell the Diamondback for $499. Grab a sale and you can do it for less.
    Someone elsewhere on MTBR just suggested that the price on '08 Diamondback Overdrives just dropped to $399. I haven't personally verified this, but, if it's true, the Overdrive is a very good deal indeed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I got an 09 Overdrive. The lbs in my area did not have the Fuji comp, but the next grade up. I might have wound up with the Fuji if I had a few more bucks at purchase time. I like the Overdrive though, the rims on the Fuji are a step up, but the DB's rims are good and strong, mine have stayed true, and switched to tubeless the same. I am a clyde and a half and it has held up to me just fine except I blewed up the cassette before I even got it in the dirt. Warrantied and no big deal now. Everything I could find says it's a good buy. One of the bike mags reviewed it last month and they said it was a good value. The dart 3 is going away this week... Reba is coming.

Edit, I forgot to mention that the DB is a 100 mm travel fork, while the Fuji is 80mm. If it matters to you, for some that could seal the deal.
    Last edited by bornhere; 04-06-2009 at 11:13 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm picking up the Fuji Tahoe 29 Pro this week as an 08 closeout. Heck of a deal from the LBS, and I'm looking forward to riding the 29 on the trails.

My current bike is a Schwinn S-20 Carbon Fiber. It fits well, but it has a very aggressive butt up head down riding stance that makes me endo a lot more than I think I should. I also catch a lot of rocks with the front tire which adds to the endo issues as well. It is a great bike to ride, especially on trails that aren't crazy technical. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the 29 will do to help out.

I've looked over what the Fujis have to offer, and I don't think you can go wrong with an entry level bike from them I don't know much about Diamondback except from back in my BMX days. I know Mike Dominguez was a factory freestyle rider for them. Does that help? :-)

mtbr member
    I'm picking up the Fuji Tahoe 29 Pro this week as an 08 closeout. Heck of a deal from the LBS, and I'm looking forward to riding the 29 on the trails.

My current bike is a Schwinn S-20 Carbon Fiber. It fits well, but it has a very aggressive butt up head down riding stance that makes me endo a lot more than I think I should. I also catch a lot of rocks with the front tire which adds to the endo issues as well. It is a great bike to ride, especially on trails that aren't crazy technical. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the 29 will do to help out.

I've looked over what the Fujis have to offer, and I don't think you can go wrong with an entry level bike from them I don't know much about Diamondback except from back in my BMX days. I know Mike Dominguez was a factory freestyle rider for them. Does that help? :-)

EDIT: Sorry for the double post. Don't see how to delete.