mtbr member
    May 2011

Diamondback Overdrive "Sport"

This is my first post on here and wanted to say yes I did do a search, but the "sport" model only comes up in 1 thread and was curious about it. In that thread 1 member states that it is the same as the comp, and the components seem to be identical so I assume that is accurate. But on the DB website and heck anywhere else online I can not find the "sport" linked to anyone other than nashbar.com or nashbars amazon page. Is this a nashbar only bike? For $545 to my door, is this an acceptable bike? I know the brakes are not that great, but the other components? I tried to order a Trek Marlin 29er but was told they are on back order until the end of August . I have done some searching on the comp and people seem to like them a lot, but the fact that I can not find the sport anywhere else online just bothers me a little. Lastly, can anyone tell me what year this bike is from? I have to take this from amazon, my work comp will not let me on nashbars normal site.

http://www.amazon.com/Diamondback-Ov.../dp/B004UMF0SG

Thanks!
    Last edited by fzr confused; 05-17-2011 at 06:42 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just got an email from my LBS saying he found another dealer that has the Trek Marlin 29er in stock about 45 miles from me. I am going to head up there after work and check it out. The Trek is going to be of course about $100-150 more than the DB, which would you get if you were had my budget of ~650? I am a complete newb to non-walmart bikes, so I really do not know which components are better than the other...please help a newbie out

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hey man, I was in your situation last year and I almost settled for a Diamondback too. I am not an expert at all, but both of the bikes you mentioned are lacking in the components department... I would recommend checking out bikesdirect.com if you're on a budget, I got my bike there last year (motobecane fantom 29r for $599) and I love it. I did a bunch of research before I chose my bike too and I was on a budget of $600. Buying online means you cannot test ride the bike before you buy but you can find a bike with very similar size and geometry at your LBS and ride that around to kind of get a feel for the right size. Consider that. I mean when it comes to brands like Trek, the first couple hundred bucks is just paying for the name imo... I say consider the Motobecane Fantom http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...9_trail_xi.htm for $599 or the Windsor Cliff http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...f29comp_xi.htm for $549, they have better components and at least a 27 speed tranny. I have last years Motobecane Fantom and I think the only thing different is that it has a rockshox dart 3 fork instead of the suntour, I've had no complaints with mine. Overall I love the bike and although I can't wait to upgrade to air charged shocks with a titanium frame, I love riding it. I can climb steeper hills in this bike than I ever could with my sporting goods store "mtb" and the big wheels do take bumps better. Post back when you make a decision or have any more questions... I am new to the posting here as well.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    thanks for the reply . i went to the shop and tried the 17.5 trek marlin, it was a little small for me and they built the 19 while i waited and i took it for a spin. the bike fit like a glove and i fell in love. they offer free tune-ups (like im sure most other LBS do) and out the door for 600, so i put my deposit down and will be back saturday to pick her up . the free tune-ups kinda helped seal the deal since i am new to wrenching on bikes, so to get them to true the rims every so often and also do some other things might be worth it to me. the only down side to the trek was the shifters, those will need to be upgraded, not very "natural" where they put them.

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    Good choice. One thing you might have overlooked was having the DB assembled from your LBS. That would have been ~$50.

Also your gonna need to pickup some "neccesities" like extra tubes, multitool, helmet, pump, etc. Check out the beginner forum for maintenance tips. Theres also a pic thread in case you wanted to show it off.
    I'm a ******bag in real life so I dont have to be one on the interwebz.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    yeah, the 650 was the budget for just the bike (800 total with gear), that way i left some cash for those other things needed . i will def check that beginners forum for some tips and once i get it i will def show it off