mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Diamondback Overdrive 29er vs Felt Q520

Hey everyone,

First time poster here. I am looking to get back in to bike riding. I used to ride trails and BMX, but haven't really ridden seriously in well over ten years. Work related stress as well as a desire for improved fitness are bringing me back to something that used to be a lot of fun for me.

Anyway, I came back expecting to buy a decently equipped entry level 26" bike. Unbeknownst to me, this big phenom better known as the 29er has emerged. I tried a couple of higher end models out and liked it...a lot. I also tried a Felt Q520 and liked it a lot too.

In doing my research, I see that Diamondback has the Overdrive available with an MSRP of $499. It appears to be a pretty decent value for the price (Performance Bikes even has it on sale for $399!) in terms of components and overall package in a 29er. The bike gets some pretty good marks from reviewers on this site. I don't intend to spend the $700 or so required to get into a 29er from some of the better brands, so this makes for a somewhat attractive entry level 29er.

So my question is this...do I go with the 26" Felt, which seems to be a slightly better product overall, or the Diamondback Overdrive which gets me into the 29er arena?

Thanks in advance for the feedback. I look forward to learning a lot on this forum!

Ovaries on the Outside
    I read this thinking I'd advise the 26" bike, but the comp spec isn't better, and I think the SRAM stuff will threat you better than the Alivio. The Prowler tires on the Overdrive also work well in a variety of conditions.

My friend rides an Overdrive. It works really well, but his had a Dart3. Don't know if your fork is better or worse. Anyway, the bike rides really nice and everything is holding up really well. I'll cast a vote for the Overdrive...

Really I am that slow
    how about a felt nine trail? http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2011...e%20Trail.aspx

I relly dig this bike for the money and have sold a ton of them in my shop and they have held up very well

the geo is solid and parts seem to be holding up well and its a very light frame so as you have the money to get a better fork, wheels,crank ect it is something i think could serve you well for a few years...
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member
    I have the DB OverDrive a little less than a year ago (with Darts from PerformanceBikes). The bike is a great bang for the buck. I got it to see what the heck was with these 29ers and see if the hype was real. Lets say this: my cheap DB OverDrive has produced faster lap times than my Santa Cruz SuperLight (26"). And since then I've gotten two other 29ers, a single speed 29er and another 29er for fast or race days. I use my DB OverDrive as my training bike and it still kicks arse though it weighs like a ship anchor! I vote the DB...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    26" is more agile and nimble. 29er will be faster on a straight and uphill thanks to bigger wheels. I would go with Diamond. However, we went back to riding our carbon 26 bikes...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have the '11 DB 29 and love it.
    Great entry level bike.
    I put on some shimano spd pedals, forte pro sl saddle, ergon grips and my ancient onza bar ends. with the 18" frame and my addons it weighs 34.8lbs. it feels lighter tho.

But 26 vs 29 is a personal choice only you can make.
    If you choose to go 29, I'd vote on the DB

btw: the Felt 29 linked above was on my real short list of 29er purchase. Couldnt find a dealer with the right size frame for me to try, then the DB came out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Funny to see this thread today. I went out to look for the Specialized Rockhopper 29 Comp disc for $900. Test rode but I really couldn't "love it" despite it being quite nice. Couldn't figure it out. Went by Sport Chalet and saw the DB Overdrive. $399 with SR forks and $499 with Rockshox Dart 3 with lockout. Test rode them both and liked them mainly because of the prices and ended up buying the cheaper DB Overdrive and put on a rigid fork and took the SR suspension forks off.

Also liked the cheaper DB Overdrive blue over the expensive tan. Components of either versions worked okay but either way, I know I'm going to upgrade them some sooner than others while others just gives me more reasons to thrash the bike.

Absolutely love the bike with that set up. The 29 wheel set, and the DB frame smooths out the roads and trails. Lot responsive than either suspension fork offered and felt more in control. Climbs well, descends with confidence better than the cheap shocks because I knew what the front was doing.

Bought the DB Overdrive today at 1pm and couldn't stop riding it until 10 tonight cruising around town, parks, looking for places to go.

Tomorrow I'm putting on shimano spd and buying shoes, lights, and going for another all day ride. I feel kinda like the flu coming down and may call in on Monday so I can ride across town to see a doctor :::cough, cough:::

mtbr member
    Congrats on the new bike! Disregard all the Diamondback bashing, they actually hold up pretty well!
    And you know, you can use that sickness excuse and go for an actual trail ride. Was sick earlier, then I did a 16 mile ride. I feel fine now! Really "burns" away the sickness.
    =D

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Another John
    Funny to see this thread today. I went out to look for the Specialized Rockhopper 29 Comp disc for $900. Test rode but I really couldn't "love it" despite it being quite nice. Couldn't figure it out. Went by Sport Chalet and saw the DB Overdrive. $399 with SR forks and $499 with Rockshox Dart 3 with lockout. Test rode them both and liked them mainly because of the prices and ended up buying the cheaper DB Overdrive and put on a rigid fork and took the SR suspension forks off.

Also liked the cheaper DB Overdrive blue over the expensive tan. Components of either versions worked okay but either way, I know I'm going to upgrade them some sooner than others while others just gives me more reasons to thrash the bike.

Absolutely love the bike with that set up. The 29 wheel set, and the DB frame smooths out the roads and trails. Lot responsive than either suspension fork offered and felt more in control. Climbs well, descends with confidence better than the cheap shocks because I knew what the front was doing.

Bought the DB Overdrive today at 1pm and couldn't stop riding it until 10 tonight cruising around town, parks, looking for places to go.

Tomorrow I'm putting on shimano spd and buying shoes, lights, and going for another all day ride. I feel kinda like the flu coming down and may call in on Monday so I can ride across town to see a doctor :::cough, cough:::
    What rigid fork did you put on?

Can you sell the SR suspension fork & get anything for it??

Sport Chalet website doesn't show a $399 Diamondback Overdrive, but your store had it? There's a local ***** & Performance Bikes, which has the $399 model

I called Sport Chalet to have the $499 model (Dart 3 fork) shipped in from another store, so I can test ride it.

Rub it............
    Careful on the Diamondback though. Stock is very limited. For the 18" frame, there is probably less than 5 or 6 in the warehouse. the 20" is out of stock,and only stores would have them avail. Now if you ride a 22" or a 16" frame, your golden.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chimpanzee00
    What rigid fork did you put on?

Can you sell the SR suspension fork & get anything for it??

Sport Chalet website doesn't show a $399 Diamondback Overdrive, but your store had it? There's a local ***** & Performance Bikes, which has the $399 model

I called Sport Chalet to have the $499 model (Dart 3 fork) shipped in from another store, so I can test ride it.
    I put on a rigid fork called 'something -'Monkey' ' that another LBS had it stock that's designed for 29ers and disc brakes . Cost less than $100. I can sell the SR forks but putting it on my wife's Insight that we bought yesterday when I bought the Overdrive.

I feel like a kid on christmas morning. I snuck out of the house to thrash around 6am , came back before my wife woke up, went over the spokes, and everything, wash it down, and now I got to do my 'honey do' list. I'll be on the bike again in the afternoon.

Strange that I rode mountain bikes in the era of rigid forks and suspension forks were just introduced into the market and now pretty dominant but over a decade later, I'm more happy to a basic rigid fork.

Not that the Specialized was bad. But at the price of the Diamondback was the main selling point whereas I couldn't justify the price of the RHopper. Plus the Specialized LBS had an elitist attitude that I just couldn't stand and liked the enthusiastic attitude of the guy at Sport Chalet.

It just irks me when a LBS compares a euro motorcycle is on par with a certain brand bicycle. It just doesn't seem to compare.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I just ordered the DB Overdrive from Performance Bikes. At $399 plus free shipping, I feel like I got a hell of a deal. Can't wait to get it here and hit the trails!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Another John
    Went by Sport Chalet and saw the DB Overdrive. $399 with SR forks and $499 with Rockshox Dart 3 with lockout. Test rode
    Just called sports chalet, they got the tan 2010 for 499 right now on sale. wonder how you got this 399 price? any tips? what store?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanerb
    Just called sports chalet, they got the tan 2010 for 499 right now on sale. wonder how you got this 399 price? any tips? what store?
    Performance was running a sale. Two days after I ordered it, I received an email stating that they were indefinitely back ordered. I canceled my order and went and got one at Dick's. Yeah, I paid more at $499, but there was no way I was going to wait a couple of months to get back in the saddle.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    nashbar has the sport (same as the comp) for 499, which seems like a pretty good deal. although i ended up getting the trek marlin.