mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Diamondback any good?

I've been looking for a bike for a while now and got on Amazon for sh*ts and giggles. Saw the 2014 Diamondback Sortie 1 for $2199 no tax + free shipping and free return. According to the specs it's got very good components for the price. Anyone know if this bike is any good?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Don't know what kind of riding you want to do, but that seems like a decent bike. If you are considering internet purchase che k out Airborne, too. You may find a forum thread on MTBR either discussing that particular DB model or you might get better feedback in the DB forum. They seem like solid value bikes, the models like this that are made for MTB trails.

Airborne Bicycles. Cross Country 29"

Rogue Exterminator
    That is only $200 (less than 10%) off the list price and only if you get the XL. Other sixes are discounted a little less. I would bet pretty much any local bike shop will come pretty close to matching that and still build the bike and give you a free future tune up.
    Even if not, I would rather spend $200 more locally than online. Don't get me wrong I have bought a bike online and had a good experience but I also saved $1000 of a $2000 bike so it was worth the risks.

If you are bent on it at that price Jenson has the same deal.
    Also other e-tailers have it cheaper but you will have to pay shipping.

Click on Buy Now and you will find some better prices.
    Diamondback Bicycles - Sortie 1 29

Wait a few more months and I bet you find it even better.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    DBs are solid bikes, but know that they are REALLY heavy. They always have good component specs, though.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2005 Independent Fabrication Deluxe

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by progfan1 View Post
    DBs are solid bikes, but know that they are REALLY heavy. They always have good component specs, though.
    If I read it correctly, this bike is only about 3 lbs heavier than average? Which at my 240lb weight would most likely be very unnoticeable right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAzn87 View Post
    If I read it correctly, this bike is only about 3 lbs heavier than average? Which at my 240lb weight would most likely be very unnoticeable right?
    If you ride other bikes in comparison, you might notice. 3 lbs can feel like more than you think, especially if you climb a lot.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by progfan1 View Post
    That is a very broad statement.
    I had a 2012 DB Overdrive and it was complete sh!t. A small step above Walmart offerings. Now I understand that DB does have some solid bikes but not all of them are.
    So does Mongoose but it doesn't change the fact that most of them are complete sh!t.
    So yes, the Sortie is probably a good bike but you better make sure you love it because the resale value on them are horrible.

3 lbs is a lot no matter how much you weigh especially if it is in the drive line or front end.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    I am a member of IMBA and as a perk they give you a membership to Promotive.com. Basically there are certain companies that join and give you proshop deals online. You need a valid code and stuff, so you do need to join IMBA. They have diamondback at 60% off retail. I came really close to ordering a Mason just because the deal was so good. $1500 for the mason pro, comes with a Fox 34 and dropper post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    That is a very broad statement.
    I had a 2012 DB Overdrive and it was complete sh!t. A small step above Walmart offerings. Now I understand that DB does have some solid bikes but not all of them are.
    So does Mongoose but it doesn't change the fact that most of them are complete sh!t.
    So yes, the Sortie is probably a good bike but you better make sure you love it because the resale value on them are horrible.

3 lbs is a lot no matter how much you weigh especially if it is in the drive line or front end.
    Ok, so I should have clarified that I was referring to their higher end bikes, like Sortie, Mason and Mission. My wife had a Mission 2. Very solid bike with good Fox suspension. Super fun to bomb downhill on, climbed like a tank. And yes, you are right about the lousy resale value.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    It really depends on what kind of riding you do. I personally believe that 3 lbs heavier than average is a deal breaker. But as I said, it really depends on your riding.