Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Devinci Atlas RC

The new bike from Devinci looks nice. Would like to check one out in person.

DEVINCI

Bike Snob
    As long as you don't live in the middle of the country you can probably make that dream a reality.

hispanic mechanic
    Dang. Sub 17" CS on a full suspension. Nice.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Split Pivot right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Maybe riders in the middle of country can order one and wait for the thaw; PerformanceBike - bikes, bike accessories, bike gear, cycling equipment, cycling apparel, and more

Superflying on Haven
    17" CS on a full suspension is a great achievement but the compromise is that the seat tube looks scarily thin and ready to break...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Devinci Atlas RC-2012-devinci-atlas-29er-full-suspension-mountain-bike05.jpg  

I never stopped trying hard and I succeeded... some times.

kabouterclan member
    Jun 2006
    Edit: I stand corrected...

Frame looks nice though!
    Last edited by de lars cuevas; 12-02-2011 at 01:15 AM.
    Sent from my HAL 9000

mtbr member
    This is a quote about the Atlas from another thread called "Two pending bikes: SB-95 vs. Ripley help."

Quote Originally Posted by 12snap View Post
    This is a misconception. I was concerned about the tire clearance on the Devinci myself. Yes, they show it with small tires but there is room for bigger. Maybe not 2.4s on P35 rims but I would have no problem with my Cedric Gracia 2.25s on Flows.

I really liked the Devinci I rode at Outerbike. I would have liked it better with beefier wheels and bigger tires, though.
    Suspension is a DW split pivot.
    Last edited by pushinpixels; 12-01-2011 at 07:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Suspension analysis by Antonio Osuna. Run through Google translate...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Too bad they're not making an XL.

eschewing obfuscation
    On paper, at least, this looks perfect.
    "Bikes have wheels." -Noam Chomsky

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 44gnats View Post
    On paper, at least, this looks perfect.
    That is what I thought.

eschewing obfuscation
    basically committed to buying one today (by selling my current geared race sled).
    the planned build, intended for endurance/marathon racing:
    atlas frame (upgrade to rp23 w/kashima)
    sid world cup xx fork 15mm
    industry nine xc hubs/spokes laced to crest front, arch ex rear
    xtr 3x10, xtr 11/36, xtr shifters
    xtr brakes, race, with ice tech rotors
    bontrager xxx stem
    niner carbon bars (cut to 690mm)
    ritchey superlogic carbon post (400mm)
    xtr race pedals
    bontrager rxl ti saddle
    racing ralph evo tubless 2.4 front, ikon 2.2 rear
    this is basically the build of last year's race bike, save for xx brakes on a superfly 100 with an f29; iam thinking it will come in just under 25lbs, a touch more than the fly but trusting it will ride (technical stuff, in particular), way better. i will post pictures once the frame comes in and the build is complete. psyched!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    basically committed to buying one today (by selling my current geared race sled).
    the planned build, intended for endurance/marathon racing:
    atlas frame (upgrade to rp23 w/kashima)
    sid world cup xx fork 15mm
    industry nine xc hubs/spokes laced to crest front, arch ex rear
    xtr 3x10, xtr 11/36, xtr shifters
    xtr brakes, race, with ice tech rotors
    bontrager xxx stem
    niner carbon bars (cut to 690mm)
    ritchey superlogic carbon post (400mm)
    xtr race pedals
    bontrager rxl ti saddle
    racing ralph evo tubless 2.4 front, ikon 2.2 rear
    this is basically the build of last year's race bike, save for xx brakes on a superfly 100 with an f29; iam thinking it will come in just under 25lbs, a touch more than the fly but trusting it will ride (technical stuff, in particular), way better. i will post pictures once the frame comes in and the build is complete. psyched!
    Post up pics and a ride report, I am very interested.

mtbr member
    Just got my atlas in, unfortunately the rain came with it so no dirt for now. Only several miles so far on concrete path with some staircases and park benches to play around on. Initial impressions are good but I will need a fair amount of time on the trail to form an opinion overall.

Going to change the tires and go tubeless as sb8's are not really my thing but other than that there is not too much I am going to change other than maybe the saddle. I will write more about it when I have some trail time on it.

eschewing obfuscation
    Nice mrilo! Now slam that stem!

WIRVNTANASHRSH?
    Does anyone have a ride report on the Atlas? I can't find a single review where someone has actually ridden the bike and talks about the ride in any detail. I'm super curious about this bike, but just want some feedback.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    iam thinking it will come in just under 25lbs, a touch more than the fly but trusting it will ride (technical stuff, in particular), way better.
    What does the frame weigh on the Atlas?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by climr View Post
    Does anyone have a ride report on the Atlas? I can't find a single review where someone has actually ridden the bike and talks about the ride in any detail. I'm super curious about this bike, but just want some feedback.
    and what's the widest tire you can run on the back?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Bumping this back up to see if anyone has real world updates.

mtbr member
    So now that I have some time on the dirt on it (about 150 miles) I figured I would give a little write up on my Atlas RC. I will say overall I am very impressed with the bike, not blown away as I was hoping I would be, but still impressed. I think I might have set my expectations a bit high as the 11’ Epic 29 I was looking to replace was perfectly capable for me and was really happy with it and I was just looking for something different.

I had a tough time with fit on the bike once I took it to the trails, also there was a lot of flex when mashing up hills that I suspected were the wheels and I was having to run high pressure with tubes because of my weight (210) so at this point I was disappointed with the ride but attributed it to fit and build spec and would wait until I until I got that all sorted out before jumping to conclusion. Once I got the fit sorted I started looking at the wheelset for the flex, the 24hole stock wheels were just scary for me and the next thing to go so I swapped out my Stans Flow wheels from the epic. I also had to bring the reba over as well since I did not have another 15qr front wheel. This was night and day difference and brought the frame to life.

Now for the ride, the shorter stays are noticeable and the bike is very agile and takes rocky technical step-ups very well. The first few rides I had a problem with over correcting because it was so nimble…borderline twitchy, which is not necessarily a bad thing depending on your application as this worked very well when things got tight and twisty. It climbed well with no noticeable problems with the font-end coming up. One thing I like over other FS 29’er I have ridden is it takes mashing out of the saddle on a steep climb well without sliding out. My epic and most other FS bikes I have ridden I have always had a challenge keeping the rear wheel weighted for traction and usually staying is the saddle work best. This varies by rider but was a positive in my case. The suspension is great and I like the SP design. Very plush, good small bump compliance, and still pedaled well. It did not pedal as well as the brain I was used to but seemed to actually track a little better on bumpy climbs where the brain would lock out and bounce around. There was some pedal bob but not anything I would complain about and after experimenting I kept the RP23 pro pedal setting on 2 and left it there for the most part and worked well. One thing annoying are the pedal strikes, don’t know if this is my timing but things I would clear with other bikes have been hitting with this one.

Other thoughts, the quality of the frame and the welds seem to be top notch. Once I matched the frame to a stiff wheelset there was no noticeable flex when mashing even for my weight. There seems to be some clearance for large’ish tires in the back. I am running a Geax AKA 2.2 on Flows in the back and there is room to spare. Built up with my flows, the reba, SPD’s and an Easton monkeylite bar it comes in at 27.3lbs, size is medium, which is closer to a large in most brands since the ST is 19.3. Overall I am happy with it, worth checking out and putting on your short list especially if the whole shorter-stay is your thing, after riding the yelli I was a fan anyway. Sorry for the long post but hopefully it helps someone, I know there are not many ride reports out there yet.

mtbr member
    Thanks for sharing that review. Good stuff!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    Thanks for sharing that review. Good stuff!
    +1.

are those stock wheels tubeless ready? not sure which is the equivalent wheel on the easton website.
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
    +1.

are those stock wheels tubeless ready? not sure which is the equivalent wheel on the easton website.
    They look like they will work with stans strips according to easton, I was not sure what the specs on them were and tubeless compatibility so I emailed easton, see response below. The set did not work well at my weight but were fairly light and would probably work well for a lighter rider and someone who picks their lines better.

Easton's response:
    "These wheels would fall under our EA30 series, which you see in our cockpit components.

These are only available to our bicycle manufacturing partners.

The wheels are designed to be used a cross country wheel, and like other wheels designated “XC”(e.g. EA70 XC), are not designed for extreme use, such as all mountain or freeride.

These are hand built in the same way as our other wheels.

Our non UST XC wheels use the standard Stan’s XC rimtape(KT01), if that is what you were referring to. Please let me know if you have any specific questions."

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast