Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Devinci Atlas Carbon

I'm starting a new thread on the Carbon Atlas. These are just shipping and I just built mine up, so offering up some more info on this bike. Everyone feel free to add your Atlas Carbon info and questions.

I ordered the frame and had it built with what I like by the awesome guys at OYL in Louisville. I haven't gotten to ride it as the trails here in the midwest aren't rideable just yet. For reference on frame size etc I am 5'11" 165 lbs. Ride most XC with a few trips to pisgah and an endurance race or two each year.

Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_0175.jpg

My build is mid weight durable stuff:

Atlas Carbon Medium has 24" virtual top tube
    Reba RLT / Lockout Maxle 100mm
    X9 build with X0 twist shift
    Thompson/Enve cockpit 90mm stem length
    I9/Arch Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron 2.25 SS

Frame weight for medium frame with shock/pivots, rear axle, seat collar and headset = 6 lbs 1 ounce which is a competitive weight for this class bike IMO

Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_0165.jpg

Total build weight with pedals = 26 lbs 6 ounces

Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_0172.jpg

A few other details

Cable routing looks very well thought out

BB92 Carbon bottom bracket looks huge, this is my first carbon mtb so not used to that

Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_0183.jpg

Plenty of clearance for 2.35s if you want to run em, these are 2.25s

Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_0180.jpg

Maxle rear axle is a nice touch

Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_0181.jpg

Cockpit

Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_0177.jpg

Also digging the graphics

Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_0184.jpg

Next pics and info will be with some dirt on it. Looking forward to having full suspension as my other two bikes are rigid Jabber single speed 23 lbs and hard tail Scott Scale AL 25 lbs.

If you have one or have questions post em up in this thread...
    Last edited by Billy Davis; 03-07-2013 at 09:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Beautiful rig. Looking forward to your report.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    lovely!

mtbr member
    Nice! Especially the coral snake top tube- "red meets yellow..." Hope not!

mtbr member

Shake down ride report

Trails firmed up a bit and took her for a shake down run.

This was an eye opening ride for me. The bike felt very different from my Scott Scale. I guess it was in a good way as I had a big smile on my face for most of the ride. With that said I was surprised how different it felt. We have a very fast roller filled trail section at Waverly Park and the bike felt much more nimble here. The front wheel manuals up so much more easily its ridiculous. Also the way the rear wheel comes around on berms and hips is really fun.

My overall initial impression is the bike road a lot more like a 26er from a maneuverability standpoint. You can really steer more with your hips. I've been on 29ers for a long time so this will take some adjustment time I think. Bike felt very fast through the higher speed sections. Don't have enough time to speak to stiffness and overall ride manners but I will say I'm impressed with the Split Pivot ability to pedal very firm with extremely good small bump compliance.

A few other notes:

I raised the rear shock pressure from 150 to 170 and it felt really good and was getting full travel. The Reba was ultra smooth and was getting full travel. The cockpit feels a tad compact to me so may try a 100mm stem and change the Reba to 120mm.

Not enough time to make any conclusions but looking forward to getting to know the Devinici this Spring.

Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_2693.jpg

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    Mine arrived last week and I promptly built it up with an existing XTR group.
    I used a 140mm Loop, ENVE AM wheels, Hans Dampf and Nobby Nic tires.
    Fox Doss post and Syntace cockpit.
    Complete it is 28 3/4 lb, which is a little on the heavy side, but it feels SUPER meaty with this setup. I know it could be lighter...

I rode it at Pueblo Reservoir last weekend and had a blast. Super efficient pedaling and very invisable suspension action.
    I was thinking I'd lower my fork to 120mm, but after riding it on XC trails for a day, I think I'll leave it full-length since I often ride more enduro-style trails.Devinci Atlas Carbon-2013-03-01-19.53.19.jpgDevinci Atlas Carbon-2013-03-01-19.47.08.jpgDevinci Atlas Carbon-2013-03-01-19.46.55.jpgDevinci Atlas Carbon-2013-02-27-07.36.37-copy.jpgDevinci Atlas Carbon-2013-02-27-07.36.33-copy.jpg
    Last edited by vwvoodoo; 03-11-2013 at 08:51 AM. Reason: photo attachments screwed up
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    It's neat to see the variety of setup - I wanted this thing to be rugged and still XC fast, but it can easily be built into a light fast race-only rig as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Devinci Atlas Carbon-2013-03-02-12.38.22-copy.jpg  

Devinci Atlas Carbon-2013-03-02-12.38.37.jpg  

mtbr member
    We are both from Louisville!......KY and CO though

Nice rig, is your fork adjustable on the fly?

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    Nope... Lowers have to come off and a stop pin moved (White Brothers has a good video on their site). It's doable, but I have a Magura 120mm fork that I'll try on it before lowering the 140 White Bros. To be honest, if the 120 feels good, I'll leave the Magura on it and save the weight. But I kinda like it tall and slack, so it probably won't happen.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Check your PMs voodoo

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thx 4 posting, have my eye on the Atlas.

Per DEVINCI , they claim a weight of 2.07 kg / 4.56 lbs.

That seems light, no doubt yours is accurate, wonder why the big difference?

tia

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Davis View Post
    I'm starting a new thread on the Carbon Atlas.

Frame weight for medium frame with shock/pivots, rear axle, seat collar and headset = 6 lbs 1 ounce which is a competitive weight for this class bike IMO

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0165.jpg 
Views:	1258 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	778357

mtbr member
    May 2006

Devinci Atlas Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by vwvoodoo View Post
    Mine arrived last week and I promptly built it up with an existing XTR group.
    I used a 140mm Loop, ENVE AM wheels, Hans Dampf and Nobby Nic tires.
    Fox Doss post and Syntace cockpit.
    Complete it is 28 3/4 lb, which is a little on the heavy side, but it feels SUPER meaty with this setup. I know it could be lighter...

I rode it at Pueblo Reservoir last weekend and had a blast. Super efficient pedaling and very invisable suspension action.
    I was thinking I'd lower my fork to 120mm, but after riding it on XC trails for a day, I think I'll leave it full-length since I often ride more enduro-style trails.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-03-01 19.53.19.jpg 
Views:	518 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	779832Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-03-01 19.47.08.jpg 
Views:	653 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	779833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-03-01 19.46.55.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	779834Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-02-27 07.36.37 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	779835Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-02-27 07.36.33 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	769 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	779836
    I'm getting my frame in about 2 weeks and need to buy some tires. For the rear, is there enough room for a Hans Dampf 2.35, or is NN 2.25 the max it can take? I'll probably go for 2.25 Ardent, but guessing a 2.4 won't fit....? Any ideas?

Bikes!
    Awesome looking bikes, getting great reviews at the moment too
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2014 Intense Tracer 275
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite
    2000 Intense Tracer

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    I started off with a Nobby Nic 2.35 on Enve AM. When I rode XC on it, there was room, but I was dragging some gravel through the stays.
    A few days after, I rode it at the bike park, and noticed under hard compression and side load on the pump track, the rear tire was buzzing the chainstay very slightly.
    I'm 170lbs, and those wheels are pretty stiff, so I'd say for most riders the 2.35 Nobby Nic is too big.
    I switched to a 2.35 Hans Dampf and there is a TON of room around the tire. A 2.25 Ardent is puny compared to the HD, and a 2.4 is still a little smaller. I think you'd be fine with a 2.4 Ardent or 2.35 Hans. I'm also considering a 2.25 Nobby Nic, but I already had the HD in the house...

Your Best Friend
    Great lines on this bike and I really like the color scheme. A couple of very different build philosophies here. Interesting.

mtbr member
    Grid thanks for the props. I got 2 hours in yesterday on my local trail, and so far I can't believe how great the bike rides. Like VW said the rear suspension is so transparent, meaning it doesn't feel like much is going on in the rear but when you look down the shock is tracking like crazy. I'm not running pro-pedal at all and the traction and small bump is top shelf. Stiffness is very good with thru axles, I9 and huge bb. Another observation is how much better this bike bunny hops vs other full suspension. The wheelbase is an inch or two shorter than comparable rigs.

Still have that new bike impression so take my observations with that in mind but I couldn't be happier so far!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    any pedal strikes, or is that not a problem where you ride? this has come up in the couple reviews I have been able to find about the alloy version of this bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lordconqueror View Post
    any pedal strikes, or is that not a problem where you ride? this has come up in the couple reviews I have been able to find about the alloy version of this bike.
    There is only one review of the new carbon version:

Devinci Atlas Carbon RC Frame Review - BikeRadar

They now spec a 140mm fork on most models (2/5" taller BB plus it still has low/slack or tall/steep geo adjustment) instead of 100mm reserved for XC use and they use a different shock with better valving for all 2013 Atlas models.

The original Al version has a large thread here:

Devinci Atlas RC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lordconqueror View Post
    I had two pedal strikes on a two hour ride, that is with the 100mm fork and in the low geo position.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Nice review. Does anybody ride this bike (or the identical geometry aluminium version) with a 120mm fork?

Most reviews point out that a 100mm travel fork positions this bike towards XC riding/racing and limits the descending potential of the rear travel. 140mm seems to create a chopper like feel and creates issues like too little pressure on the front wheel when climbing.

120mm seems like a good sweet spot for a balanced bike which is why I am asking.

formerly Giantxc

Re: Devinci Atlas Carbon

I have a 120mm Sid on my Atlas aluminum and have been very pleased with the combination. I find it works better on the steeper geometry setting with a 120mm fork. On the slack setting, I found the front end was a bit too light when climbing.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MrXC View Post
    I have a 120mm Sid on my Atlas aluminum and have been very pleased with the combination. I find it works better on the steeper geometry setting with a 120mm fork. On the slack setting, I found the front end was a bit too light when climbing.
    Thanks. May I ask, what size are you, what size Atlas do you have and what is your stem length?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Davis View Post
    I am 5'11" 165 lbs.

Atlas Carbon Medium has 24" virtual top tube
    If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose a medium frame as Devinci recommends a size large for your height? 5"11" is at the very top end for a medium. For riders 5'10" and up they recommend a large.

I am 5' 9.5" and I'm just under your weight. I ordered a large Carbon RC and just went to the LBS to take it for a spin. It feels huge to me. I feel as though I'm having to stretch to reach the handlebars, and that's with the seat adjusted forward and the seat post fairly low (moving it forward still), as well as the stock 90mm stem raised, which moves it rearward.

There's less than a 1" difference in top tube length between a medium and large, and yet you noted that you felt cramped. If you go with a 100mm stem that should put you close to the same reach as the large I think.

I'm debating on whether to exchange my large for a medium, but it sounds like you're going longer. Anyway, just wondering what factors led you to reach a decision of a medium vs. large
    Last edited by Shadow Wolf; 06-04-2013 at 02:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I don't own an Atlas, but I thought I'd chime in with my 2 pesos. At 5'11" I would definitely want to be on a medium. Most manufacturers put people around 5'8-6' on a bike with a 23.5" effective top tube. New school geometry is pushing people towards longer top tubes and shorter stems. Most manufacturers put their larges at 24.5" and their XLs at 25 or 25.5". That means that the large devinci fits like an XL in other brands, and the medium fits like a large.

For me, I'm most comfortable on a 23.5" top tube with a 90mm stem, but I've experimented with shorter and longer top tubes, with longer and shorter stems. I think I could get away with a low 24" top tube and a short stem, but we're talking like a 24.2" and 60mm stem. I've ridden bikes with longer top tubes (24.5") with longer stems, and they're downright dangerous for somebody who's too small. I would think the 24" ett on the atlas plus a 70 or 80mm stem would be a really great fit for an aggressive trail bike that still climbs fairly. Any shorter and you're sacrificing climbing by a lot.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast