Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I am looking at these two bikes as well, the Ripley is quite a bit more expensive than the Atlas, but what is really apparent from your specs is the difference in CS length (445 v 428)

I'm not able to demo until things thaw out/dry out, so can anyone offer up ridng experience for the two bikes?

Right now I have a KHS 6500, it has a bit more suspension than I need (140mm) and it tends to loft the front end more than I like; perhaps its a small wheel (650) thing...

I want to move back to 29ers for trail riding, I just prefer the big hoops. I rode hardtail 29ers for years, my current favorite is the Kona Honzo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    I meant effective, have a look at post #183, seems there's still some info that's up in the air. In any case I'll measure mine and post up the result once I get it all built up

---

Copied this off a local board, compares the Atlas geo to the Ripley which is the other bike I was looking at. Appears pretty close with 140mm forks which the geo is based on.

Small:
    Atlas Carbon w/140mm

Seattube: 460
    Seat angle: 70 / 70.7
    Head angle: 68.5 / 69.1
    Toptube: 597
    Chainstay: 428
    Wheelbase: 1088
    Bottombracket height: 345 / 352
    Headtube: 110
    Standover height: 752

Reach: 385 / 392
    Stack: 619 / 615

Medium:
    Ripley w/140mm:

Seattube: 432
    Seat angle: 71.5
    Head angle: 68.5
    Toptube: 589
    Chainstay: 445
    Wheelbase: 1111
    Bottombracket height: 337
    Headtube: 94
    Standover height: 750

Reach: 381
    Stack: 626

Nor­wegr
    It doesn't have to do with the wheelsize, you just aren't getting enough weight over the front wheel. Changing to a longer stem or one with a negative angle might help.

That being said, if you don't like it when the front lifts during climbs, chances are you'd be better off with a longer chainstay since that puts the rear further back and decreases the likelyhood of lift at the front. Assuming you have a decent fit on the bike and skills to match.

Personally I've ridden both and went with the Atlas due to the playful chainstay length similar to my Honzo and lifetime warranty. I usually stand and mash to get up anything so lift doesn't play a role since I use my upper torso to weigh the wheel down.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Were you relying to my post?

It's not a stem thing, been there, done that, even went down a frame size to see if a tighter cockpit would allow me to get more forward.

Essentially, the KHS rides light in thent even when seated. A longer CS would help, as would a larger wheel. My Honzo was not a problem, and it has short chainstays, but I kinda wonder if the Atlas would be a problem... I guess I won't know until I ride it.

It doesn't have to do with the wheelsize, you just aren't getting enough weight over the front wheel. Changing to a longer stem or one with a negative angle might help.

That being said, if you don't like it when the front lifts during climbs, chances are you'd be better off with a longer chainstay since that puts the rear further back and decreases the likelyhood of lift at the front. Assuming you have a decent fit on the bike and skills to match.

Personally I've ridden both and went with the Atlas due to the playful chainstay length similar to my Honzo and lifetime warranty. I usually stand and mash to get up anything so lift doesn't play a role since I use my upper torso to weigh the wheel down.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Pic from my turnaround point on today's Christmas ride: 15.1 miles at Dana Peak Park in Central Texas. Dana Peak is an excellent out-and-back with its fair share of smooth single-track, a few challenging sections, and some excellent rollers.

Love this bike. A few rides on since the first, the only problems I'm having on climbs are on sections I wouldn't have dreamed of cleaning on my old 26" Santa Cruz Blur. The 2.25 Maxxis Ardent EXO on the wide-rimmed SUNringle Charger Pro SL at just shy of 25 psi grip the trail like crazy. The stiff wheels combined with the excellent maneuverability of the frame make this bike extremely predictable.

Over the last week I've dialed in the shock and fork. On the pedal setting, it will sprint or climb without bobbing noticeably. The 120mm SID RCT3 fork gets the job done. There are stiffer, better damped forks out there, but the terrain here in Texas just isn't worth paying the weight penalty of a Pike of longer-travel Fox. The SID keeps the weight down enough to allows me to run the slightly heavier wheel/tire combo. I also have an RWC rear shock needle bearing on hand that I need to install.

Got to say, this thread led me to this bike, and I couldn't be happier.

Nor­wegr
    One interesting tidbit is that the bike is so slack with a 140mm that the dropperpost I have had issues dropping. Have to re-position my bodyweight to get it done

Perhaps it'll better when I get my KS Lev and drop the fork to 130.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I am considering an Atlas. The bike you guys describe is the kind of bike I am looking for.
    I am an old guy, with a 53 year old back. My 12 yo boy is getting into mountain biking, so it is a good excuse to get a new MTB.

2 questions:
    1. I am 5'8"ish, 72" wingspan, 30" inseam. I have relatively long thighs and short lower legs. My road bike has a ETT of 55cm with a 100 mm stem. What size Atlas should I get? and what size stem?
    2. My 20 year old bike has an early gen SID (noodle) with something like 63mm of travel. I am not going to be hucking or dropping or going after big chunks. Will 100mm suit me or would I be happier with 120mm? Background is that I am an XC rider, but I am not going to be racing, that being said, I like a light playful, quick bike.
    jws

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I'd say take the 120 - I recently changed mine from 100mm and the plush ride is too good to go back! Plus changed geo etc

Nor­wegr
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dubya61 View Post
    1. I am 5'8"ish, 72" wingspan, 30" inseam. I have relatively long thighs and short lower legs. My road bike has a ETT of 55cm with a 100 mm stem. What size Atlas should I get? and what size stem?
    Just from looking at the numbers, probably a small; but the Atlas has rather odd sizing so if you could try before you buy that would obviously be best.

I'm 5'7 with a 30" inseam and the reach is perfect for me on the Atlas carbon (Carbon is longer than the aluminum), but the seattube on the small is very high. On other bikes I normally get the medium, but with the Atlas there's no way I could have made it work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just from looking at the numbers, probably a small; but the Atlas has rather odd sizing so if you could try before you buy that would obviously be best.

I'm 5'7 with a 30" inseam and the reach is perfect for me on the Atlas carbon (Carbon is longer than the aluminum), but the seattube on the small is very high. On other bikes I normally get the medium, but with the Atlas there's no way I could have made it work.
    Vegard, do you ride a road bike, if so, what is the ETT, and stem length?

My concern is the reach measurement. While the ETT are within range the reach measurement is quite short. Historically I have ridden long top tube bikes or one size up than my inseam and overall height suggests. However, I am 53yo, and I am not getting any more flexible. I suspect I will like the slack seat tube, but cannot be sure. If not I can compensate with a no offset seat post. The nearest dealer is 120 miles away.

I rode rigid back in the days when we were riding 135 - 150 stems.
    What is the longest stem recommended for a 29er FS? The small size intrigues me, but I don't want to be endo-ing. With the short rear end, it may help to better distribute weight between the wheels(?). Is endo-ing less of a problem with 29ers? Would a longer stem provide improved front end grip?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I just measured my current 26er MTB (~17 yo). My ETT (~56cm) plus stem length (~12cm) come to ~68cm, my seat is slammed back as far as it can go (more a function of SA, not sure of the angle, it is a Litespeed softtail, probably in the conventional range). My bars are approximately 1" - 1 1/4" below the top of my saddle. I have always wished that I would have gone with a size up to have more room in the cockpit.

Another question, is anybody using a 51 offset fork with the Atlas?

Nor­wegr
    I stay well clear of the road, if you want to make more sense of modern MTB sizes you'll need to use stack and reach measurements. I really doubt that you'll be able to ride anything larger than the small with it's 23" toptube. You'd probably need a 70mm or shorter stem for even that to work out properly.

A longer stem will improve grip for the front wheel on any bike since it allows for more weight over the axle. Personally I use a 23" toptube and a 50mm stem with 700mm bars, if I get lift it's usually so steep that I'll need to adjust technique anyways.

I'll be using a 51mm offset pike on mine when it's 100% done. It's more a case of using what I have rather than it being optimal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I stay well clear of the road, if you want to make more sense of modern MTB sizes you'll need to use stack and reach measurements. I really doubt that you'll be able to ride anything larger than the small with it's 23" toptube. You'd probably need a 70mm or shorter stem for even that to work out properly.

A longer stem will improve grip for the front wheel on any bike since it allows for more weight over the axle. Personally I use a 23" toptube and a 50mm stem with 700mm bars, if I get lift it's usually so steep that I'll need to adjust technique anyways.

I'll be using a 51mm offset pike on mine when it's 100% done. It's more a case of using what I have rather than it being optimal.
    If I am doing the math right, and assuming the cockpit measurements are transferable 26er to 29er, I am currently at a cockpit length of 680mm = ETT plus stem.
    so:
    Small 584mm(Al) 590mm(C) + 95 - 90 stem ~= 680mm
    Med 604mm(Al) 610mm(C) + 75 - 70 stem ~= 680mm

???

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Which brings up the idea of a 51 offset fork, if I go with the smaller size, and 51 offset will provide a bit more front to center. It seems to me that the HA is about what the 51 offset bikes are running....

Thoughts?
    jW

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

2015 Atlas Carbon Build

Saw this thread and thought I would share a pic of my Atlas Carbon. Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_5476.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Which brings up the idea of a 51 offset fork, if I go with the smaller size, and 51 offset will provide a bit more front to center. It seems to me that the HA is about what the 51 offset bikes are running....

Thoughts?
    jW
    My thought is please check everything with the stack & reach measurements. Top tube length is a very disturbing measurement with the slack STA of the Atlas. Also, the sizing table on the Devinci website is a good guide. Use that as a double check! If you think you need a different size to what Devinci advises, do the math again.

My guess is that you should take the bigger bike. Practically all bikes have steeper STA's than the Atlas. That means there is a solid chance the entire ETT of your current bike is further forward in relationship to the BB. By a lot.
    I'd allways advise to put your saddle in the same place in relationship to the BB. It puts your legs and lower body in the position you are used to.
    If you do not do this on the Atlas, you're effectively rotating yourself backwards around the BB. That's all well and good, but I'd rather not let bike geometry dictate how I sit on the bike. I want the same position regardless of the bike! Saddle height, setback and stem length/angle take care of that.
    This way, on the Atlas your saddle will be a bit more further forward in the seat post clamp and suddenly, there is a lot less left of that ETT measurement. That's why it's not very useful...
    That's also why you should focus on reach, because it takes STA out of the equation. Measure the horizontal distance from the tip of the seat to the BB centre on your current bike. Add reach to that and THEN find out what kind of stem lenght you'd need on an Atlas.

Hope this makes sense. Not a native English speaker and I've got 1 glass of wine too many .

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JeroenK View Post
    My thought is please check everything with the stack & reach measurements. Top tube length is a very disturbing measurement with the slack STA of the Atlas. Also, the sizing table on the Devinci website is a good guide. Use that as a double check! If you think you need a different size to what Devinci advises, do the math again.

My guess is that you should take the bigger bike. Practically all bikes have steeper STA's than the Atlas. That means there is a solid chance the entire ETT of your current bike is further forward in relationship to the BB. By a lot.
    I'd allways advise to put your saddle in the same place in relationship to the BB. It puts your legs and lower body in the position you are used to.
    If you do not do this on the Atlas, you're effectively rotating yourself backwards around the BB. That's all well and good, but I'd rather not let bike geometry dictate how I sit on the bike. I want the same position regardless of the bike! Saddle height, setback and stem length/angle take care of that.
    This way, on the Atlas your saddle will be a bit more further forward in the seat post clamp and suddenly, there is a lot less left of that ETT measurement. That's why it's not very useful...
    That's also why you should focus on reach, because it takes STA out of the equation. Measure the horizontal distance from the tip of the seat to the BB centre on your current bike. Add reach to that and THEN find out what kind of stem lenght you'd need on an Atlas.

Hope this makes sense. Not a native English speaker and I've got 1 glass of wine too many .
    I think you are spot on, clear and concise, and I didn't pick up any slurring of speech, so have another glass. Cheers, jws

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I agree with JeroenK. I think the ett on the Atlas is skewed due to the seat tube angle.

If you go with the larger frame, worst case is you run into issues with seat post extension, which could be problematic if you're running a dropper. If you're running a rigid post, no worry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TechniKal View Post
    I agree with JeroenK. I think the ett on the Atlas is skewed due to the seat tube angle.

If you go with the larger frame, worst case is you run into issues with seat post extension, which could be problematic if you're running a dropper. If you're running a rigid post, no worry.
    I mostly agree too, but what JeroenK doesn't mention is that the seat tube, if uninterrupted, would intersect somewhere in front of the bottom bracket. You don't necessarily have to slide the seat further forward to have the proper saddle position front to back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Thoughts?
    jW
    I was wondering the same thing, but maybe for a different reason: I've been comparing the Atlas to the 2014 Salsa Spearfish, which has many similarities (Split Pivot, short chainstays, etc.). They both have similar ett and hta; the main geometry difference is the fork offset: 51 mm for the Spearfish. So I just wondered which offset is best for the Atlas. Perhaps it depends on the fork travel? 44 mm offset for 120 mm forks and 51 mm for 140 forks to try to speed up the slacker steering?

Also interested in thoughts about these two bikes in general. I'm coming from a 29 ht in rocky, rooty, tight, VA, doing mostly technical XC- trail riding with a few races each year. Was considering the Spearfish as an efficient alternative to my ht for comfort and back health. Enjoyed a test ride, but used all of the travel. That's what got me thinking something with just a little more travel might be good, as long as weight and efficiency aren't sacrificed much.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xl_cheese View Post
    I mostly agree too, but what JeroenK doesn't mention is that the seat tube, if uninterrupted, would intersect somewhere in front of the bottom bracket. You don't necessarily have to slide the seat further forward to have the proper saddle position front to back.
    They measure the seat tube angle from centre bb to the back of the top of the seat tube.
    But because after the bent the top of seat tube is slacker, the general angle of the seat tube is determent of the height of the saddle.
    If you put the sadle high, the seat tube angle wil be slacker.
    If you put the sadle low, the seat tube angle wil be steeper.
    So for a correct seat tube angel it all depends of the rider and the devinci angles will be an approximate measurement, but it wil be not a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by TedS123 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing, but maybe for a different reason: I've been comparing the Atlas to the 2014 Salsa Spearfish, which has many similarities (Split Pivot, short chainstays, etc.). They both have similar ett and hta; the main geometry difference is the fork offset: 51 mm for the Spearfish. So I just wondered which offset is best for the Atlas. Perhaps it depends on the fork travel? 44 mm offset for 120 mm forks and 51 mm for 140 forks to try to speed up the slacker steering?

Also interested in thoughts about these two bikes in general. I'm coming from a 29 ht in rocky, rooty, tight, VA, doing mostly technical XC- trail riding with a few races each year. Was considering the Spearfish as an efficient alternative to my ht for comfort and back health. Enjoyed a test ride, but used all of the travel. That's what got me thinking something with just a little more travel might be good, as long as weight and efficiency aren't sacrificed much.

I was also considering the spearfish or the atlas an went for the atlas.
    It is playful enough with an 120mm (44mm) would not go for the 51mm offset for me personally.

Nor­wegr
    For those of you with Next SL cranks, did you use the supplied spacer and if so on which side?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've been riding the Atlas Carbon with a 130mm Revelation, chips set in high, and my first thought was that the geometry "specs" do not accurately reflect the fit and ride. I suppose this is the case with most bikes, but the Atlas is certainly a bike that should be demoed vs buying sight unseen.

The Atlas rides very tall (upright), which is likely due to the high BB and tall front end.

The TT is deceptively long, I'm running an 80mm stem but I plan to run a 60-70mm stem.

Though the CS is short, the bike does not suffer from a light front end, it is much easier to climb steep technical terrain than a bike like the Honzo; the Honzo requires more weight over the front end which compromises traction at times.

With my current configuration, there is some front end "wag", nothing that I wouldn't expect with a 29er, but I'm thinking of going to a 120mm to see how this changes the steering.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Heres Mine !

Devinci Atlas Carbon-20150115_124140.jpg

Now i just need a dropper post , not sure which length 100 or 125 , large frame and i have a 32 leg , i was thinking a 385mm ks lev but dont know if it will hit the kink before i get my proper height , or even get to the kink at all with that collar hmmmm

Nor­wegr
    Devinci Atlas Carbon-862814d1389899487-ks-lev-sizing-776233d1362053680-ks-lev-125mm-am-i-first-have-misure_lev.jpg

You can use this to find the correct length, click to expand
    Set your proper height with a regular seatpost, measure from rails to the clamp. With that measurement and the total length of the post you compare it to the chart.

I went with a 335 on my small frame as it turns out it's the perfect length at the minimum insert.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Dropped the chips to low, installed decent tires, installed good brakes, reduced the stem to 60mm, feels pretty nimble, trying to ride Sunday if it's not too I wet...

Edit:

Added Ardent EXO 2.4's last night, tubless using a rim strip, worked great.
    Changed chainrings, now running 24/34
    I'm considering a NW set up, but I'm holding out with the hope that I'll using the large chainring more this coming summer...

6', 32" inseam
    Medium Atlas RC, chips in low
    Revelation 130mm
    740 Riser Bar
    60mm stem
    LEV dropper
    Ardent 2.4
    34/24 x 11-36
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 01-19-2015 at 04:25 PM.

Nor­wegr
    What kind of cranks are you using? Not sure if I've seen pics of your ride, seeing other peoples setups is fun

I just placed a big order with bike-components.de, I was going to re-use some of my Honzo parts; but ended up with a Zee/Saint mix and a Hope 40t cog for the rear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Stock RC cranks for now, I'm not much of a weight weenie and the stock parts are decent quality. I'll be swapping out for an X9 derailleur and maybe change to a 1 x 10, otherwise the big upgrade will be wheels (carbon rims and CK hubs).

I was really happy to see that an Ardent 2.4 fit with room to spare

What kind of cranks are you using? Not sure if I've seen pics of your ride, seeing other peoples setups is fun

I just placed a big order with bike-components.de, I was going to re-use some of my Honzo parts; but ended up with a Zee/Saint mix and a Hope 40t cog for the rear.
    Here's a pic:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Devinci Atlas Carbon-kimg0766.jpg  

Last edited by Nurse Ben; 01-23-2015 at 11:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Pics man pics hehe

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Ride report... I've had mine for about 16 months. I still love the bike. I'm 5'11" on a large and swap between 90mm and 100mm stems. The bike is running a 120mm fork, xx1 drive train and good parts all around. I do most of my riding in Austin, Texas, which is rocky and technical. I spend a large part of the summer in Park City, Utah, which is pretty buff with major climbing. I race cat 1. The bike excels all around. It handles the slow speed, rough technical stuff well. The suspension is efficient and the bike light enough to climb very well, and stable enough for higher speed descents.

The only problem I had was a persistent squeak from the top shock pivot. A needle bearing kit solved that. I also recently developed a sight amount of play, so I changed the bearings. The main pivot in the rocker was stuck in the bearing race. It took a lot of effort with a hammer and drift to get it out. I'd recommend pulling and greasing the alloy bolts regularly to prevent that from happening. Also the shape of a few of the components makes replacing the bearings hard without the special kit that Devinci sells.

Best praise I can give is if I had to buy a new bike today, if buy the Atlas again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TechniKal View Post
    The only problem I had was a persistent squeak from the top shock pivot. A needle bearing kit solved that.
    I also picked up one of these kits. How did you get the bushings out of the shock? Did you pony up for the press/removal kit?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken6503 View Post
    I also picked up one of these kits. How did you get the bushings out of the shock? Did you pony up for the press/removal kit?
    You can try this.
    fox shox bushing press - ghetto

I think I did mine with a C clamp and two sockets, one smaller one to push and another bigger one to catch. Like below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Kh4A48zEQ

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Unforgiving View Post
    Pics man pics hehe
    Here go. More bike porn--after some mud wrestling.

Nor­wegr

The final bits are here, the Saint shifter feels really nice on the upshift. But there's a bit of side to side play on the downshift which I didn't expect. The Zee shifter has a nicer downshift than the Saint I'd dare say.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Re: Devinci Atlas Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by Ken6503 View Post
    There is a poster here named mtnbiker4life that sells a tool for $25 to do this. If you have the fox shock, you can remove the old ones without any special tools. If using rock shox, you'll need to press the old du bushings out.

You can use sockets, but a proper tool makes it quicker and easier, and reduces the risk of messing up.

Nor­wegr
    I bought the mtnbiker4life tools off ebay, the RWC ones look simpler to use if you don't have a vice; but for me the mtnbiker ones ended up being cheaper due to Norwegian import taxes. Bought a handheld vice today that should do just fine.

Some bits left to do, swapped some more parts around so the newest stuff goes on my Atlas rather than the fatbike.
    Last edited by Vegard; 02-04-2015 at 04:04 PM.

Nor­wegr
    Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_1051_zps0nnivzxs.jpg

Slight brainfart when putting the front rotor on, but other than that it's done.
    Last edited by Vegard; 02-19-2015 at 09:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Does anyone 6'3" ride an XL Atlas. After much searching I am about to put a deposit down on a 2015 XL carbon. The geometry specs appear to indicate the devinci xl about equivalent to a L in common brands like a trek. I have no chance to test ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PEIGUY View Post
    Does anyone 6'3" ride an XL Atlas. After much searching I am about to put a deposit down on a 2015 XL carbon. The geometry specs appear to indicate the devinci xl about equivalent to a L in common brands like a trek. I have no chance to test ride.
    I sat on on an XL aluminum in my buddies shop, it is tall, but not a true XL in my opinion, it's like you said: "equivalent to a L in common brands like a trek".

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Two month follow up, still loving the Atlas. Minor changes to stem and seat position, now running an 80mm stem on a medium frame whcih seems to work better for fit; this is with 760mm bars.

I tried running the rear suspension in low, but it didn't feel right and I had more pedal hits, so I bumped it to high and it rides nice and balanced; this is with a 140mm Revelation.

I did find the rear shock at 30% sag (215psi) to be a bit stiff, so I dropped the pressure slightly to 200psi and that made it more compliant for small bumps.

The nice thing about the rear suspension design is that the antisquat really works, especially when climbing.

I'm kind of picky when it comes to bikes and how hey climb technical terrain, I don't like to walk a hill when there is any chance that it can be ridden. The Atlas hooks up like few other bikes I have ridden. The rear suspension works so well that I don't feel the need to lock it out or use propedal.

Next step: I am just not using my large chainring, so I'm going 1x, SRAM XX1, direct mount 26 or 28, Wolf Tooth steel 40t + 16t. Down the road I want to build some carbon wheels using hubs with higher engagement, possibly using the Onyx hubs if they stay together on my tandem

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Nurse Ben how tall are you and how did the xl fit you .
    Hope it isn't too small as I have the xl on order

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Don't forget that the carbon frame is ~0.5" longer in ETT/reach than the aluminum version. The large carbon atlas frame is similar to my large Gary Fisher X-Cal, but the large aluminum atlas is smaller.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PEIGUY View Post
    Nurse Ben how tall are you and how did the xl fit you .
    Hope it isn't too small as I have the xl on order
    6', 32" inseam. I ride a medium carbon with an 80mm stem and 760mm bars.

I could ride the XL, but it was a stretch. Proportionally it seems taller than it seems longer.

It really depends on how you prefer your cockpit to "feel". I could be riding a large Atlas with a short stem, but when I demoed that set up it felt long.

The ST angle is really low, so raising the seat significantly changes the reach, a high seat position and lower bars (assuming this is your preference), would make it long in ETT.

I'm not so sure I would characterize the Atlas as fitting that differently from comparable bikes. I found more love on a medium in the KHS 6500 as well as my Honzo and Lurch, so I guess I'm a medium now

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    So I finally pulled the trigger on a used 2013 Atlas Carbon off Pinkbike, size Large. I'll be building it up with a 120 mm Rockshox Revelation Dual Air RCT3 and my current wheels (LB carbon on Hope hubs).

I've got a few questions since this is my first FS:

I'm still deciding on drive train parts. My plan was to run 2x10 like my existing hardtail, with 26/39 or 24/38 crank and 11-36 cassette. How does the bike respond to climbing in the front chainring? I've read some say it does better with 24 vs 22 - Is it better still to go with 26 for granny? Also, what cage length is everyone running for their rear derailleur? The above setup seems to be on the border between Medium and Long (I run Long on my hardtail), but does chain growth or derailleur type (clutch vs non-clutch) play into the equation?

I'm going to replace the pivot bearings since the swing arm was already removed for shipping. Some of the bearings feel "notchy". Has anyone done this? Are there any tricks to disassembling the split pivots?

Does anyone have a link to the user's manual? The link posted earlier in the thread no longer works.

Thanks! Here's a pic:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Devinci Atlas Carbon-atlas-carbon-1.jpg  

Nor­wegr
    I have it, pm me your email and I can send it. In terms of servicing it isn't really helpful though. Afaik Devinici sells tools and bearings if you have a dealer nearby.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I changed the bearings in mine. I purchased the tool kit from Devinci to do it, and based on the shapes of some of the components, I think it would be challenging to do it without the kit. The rocker arms in particular seem like they would present a challenge to get the bearings out without a specific tool, as there's no flat spot to leverage.

The kit is nice, but it's not cheap. It also includes adapters for all of their bikes, so you end up paying for stuff you'll likely never use.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks, Vegard - I sent you a PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Where did you guys find the bearing press kits? Are they on Devinci's webpage? I couldn't find them and I don't have a local Devinci dealer.

Nor­wegr
    Thanks, Vegard - I sent you a PM.
    Emailed!

Where did you guys find the bearing press kits? Are they on Devinci's webpage? I couldn't find them and I don't have a local Devinci dealer.
    Fanatik can probably get it for you, they have the pivot kit listed atleast.
    Your Search: "devinci" - Fanatik Bike Co. - Bellingham WA

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks, got it, Vegard! I'll check with fanatik. I also have some bearing tools for my hope hubs - I'll check to see if any of those happen to fit.

Any thoughts on drive train choices?

Nor­wegr
    Have you tried popping the covers off and removing old lube? Might just need to be cleaned and repacked.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I haven't had success popping cartridge bearing seals off without damaging them, though it would be nice to be able to.

On the other hand, it looks like my Hope hub tools will work - they use bearings with the same diameter (6803). I'll add some pics later.

Nor­wegr
    For future use a hooked plastic dental pick will work without damaging the seal, one of the things I carried over to mtbing from paintball maintenance

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    As promised, here are pics of the Hope hub press tools that fit the Atlas frame bearings (6903) for both removal and installation...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Devinci Atlas Carbon-hope-hub-tool1.jpg  

Devinci Atlas Carbon-hope-hub-tool2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    That's awesome. Great find as I'm sure the Hope kit is a lot cheaper. Hopefully that means I can also use the Devinci kit to change my Hope hub bearings so I can get more value out of it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I want to say the kit was ~$30 - 40. Even better deal now that I have more uses for them ☺

Nor­wegr
    Does it work on all the bearings or just the ones pictured?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Haven't tried yet, but will report back after trying,

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Update on the bearing replacement:

Some of the old bearings I could tap out with a mallet and the Hope press tool. The worst, though, were the main pivot bearings on the chainstay swingarm. I had to rent/borrow a bearing puller from Autozone and jerry-rig it with some nuts and washers to get those out.

I had to make my own $7 diy bearing press (5/8" bolt, nut, and washers) to install the new bearings, but otherwise the installation of the new bearings went smoothly.

Devinci Atlas Carbon-bearingpress2.jpgDevinci Atlas Carbon-bearingpress1.jpg

Nor­wegr
    Mine in the wild:

No issues climbing with a 140mm fork, this is probably the best bike I've ever ridden. It's as good or better than these new fangled hyped 29er trailmachines that's been recently released. (The hype is warranted so don't get your panties in a bunch )
    Last edited by Vegard; 05-04-2015 at 09:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Mine in the wild:

No issues climbing with a 140mm fork, this is probably the best bike I've ever ridden. It's as good or better than these new fangled hyped 29er trailmachines that's been recently released. (The hype is warranted so don't get your panties in a bunch )
    Did you happen to try a Troy when you were shopping or otherwise? If so, how did it compare to this? I tried a buddy's Troy last night for a little spin after our weekly club ride, and I really, really liked it. Though it did not roll quite as freely on the easy climb I was using to test as another buddy's Jet 9 with a 150 fork on it. The Jet 9 did not feel as playful and felt steeper in the head though.

Nor­wegr
    To me they feel pretty similar, I just prefer the feel of momentum on a 29er. I think the best thing for you is just to go somewhere and try an Atlas, it's an odd bike but in a good way

mtbr member

Devinci Atlas Carbon

To me they feel pretty similar, I just prefer the feel of momentum on a 29er. I think the best thing for you is just to go somewhere and try an Atlas, it's an odd bike but in a good way
    Yes, I wish I could do that easily. My local shop with whom I ride every week carries da Vinci, but does not have demos of an atlas available. I may have to get down to Fruita to try one out.

I love the feeling of momentum on a 29'er as well, and my old sugar improved my climbing particularly quite a bit as compared to my old 26 inch bike. And as an older middle-aged rider trying to keep up with the big dogs, I like every mechanical advantage I can get. If I can get that same feeling of sitting comfortably behind the suspension and also being able to toss it into the turns that I was getting on the Troy, and it climbs well, the atlas might be perfect. I just would love to try both back to back.

Just for fun, here is a picture of the crew out on last nights ride. The guy in the bright yellow raincoat is the one on the Troy.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; 05-08-2015 at 09:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Well, I'm finally ready to post my finished build. Ingredients:

2013 Devinci Atlas Carbon, size L - Pinkbike
    2012 RS Revelation RCT3 dual air - Pinkbike
    Hope Pro 2 Evo on LB carbon rims - from my old bike
    SLX Crank - Bike24
    SLX Brakes - Bike24
    XT cassette - Bike24
    X9 Derailleurs - Bike24
    X9 Shifters - ebay
    Thomson post - Pinkbike
    Selle Italia SLR XC Flow - ebay
    Bar (Forte Team 720 Flat cut down to 685) & Stem (90 mm) from surplus

Total cost under $1900.

I'm still dialing in the fit, but felt better after lowering the fork from 140 to 120 and slamming the stem (inverted, no spacers beneath). I'm coming from an 80mm travel hardtail (2010 GF X-Cal) and am used to having my weight on the front wheel for cornering traction, so was getting washout on the Atlas prior to making these adjustments. It's starting to feel more natural to me, now. I've really enjoyed the improved traction on bumpy, technical uphills compared to my hardtail. After just a week I am already approaching some of my best times on several sections of our local trails. It's been fun, and I look forward to continuing to tweaking the fit and suspension settings...

Devinci Atlas Carbon-p5pb12252578.jpgDevinci Atlas Carbon-p5pb12252579.jpgDevinci Atlas Carbon-p5pb12252577.jpg

Nor­wegr
    It's interesting to see how different the setups in this thread are, yours seems a bit more xc oriented than my build is atm.

Fork: RS Pike 140, 51mm offset
    Wheelset: SRAM Roam 60
    Tire F: HD Trailstar 2.35
    Tire R: NN Pacestar 2.25
    Brakes: Magura MT8
    Discs: Storm SL
    Crank: RF Next 34t
    Chain: KMC DLC SL
    Cassette: XT 11-40
    Cassette 40t: Hope
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Zee
    Shifter: Shimano Saint
    Bar: MT ZOOM Ultralight Carbon 720mm 15mm Low Riser
    Stem: Hope DH 50mm
    Grips: Ergon GE1
    Seatpost: KS Lev 125/385
    Seatclamp: Hope
    Seat: RF Aeffect
    Pedals: CB Egg11

With stans goo and what not the total weight is around 24lb. Could probably get it down another lb with a new stem and lighter tires.

Nor­wegr
    Debonair can is confirmed to fit

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    It's interesting to see how different the setups in this thread are, yours seems a bit more xc oriented than my build is atm.
    Yeah, this bike does seem to have quite wide range of possible uses. I've been tweaking mine a bit more over the past couple weeks. First, I swapped out my 90 mm stem for 100 mm and found it improved climbing by giving more leverage on the bar and more weight on the front wheel. The longer stem also smoothed and calmed the steering down a little more to my liking, as well - more like my Gary Fisher X-Cal. There were places where the quick steering was getting me in trouble in the real twisty, tricky uphill rock gardens where line choice is critical. The suspension was allowing to go through these much faster than before, but that made it harder to keep the right line. Perhaps if I kept with the 90 mm long enough I would adapt, but right now the handling with the 100 feels just right.

I also switched out my bar from the Forte Team 720 (cut to 675) for an Easton EC70 685 bar. Just a hair wider (as wide as I can go without hitting trees), about 5 mm lower, and a bit lighter. Combined with new ESI Chunky grips it's really starting to feel like home...

Another pic:
    Devinci Atlas Carbon-0613151502a.jpgDevinci Atlas Carbon-0613151503aa.jpg

Tribe member
    Very nice build! What is the head angle at running the 140 Pike?

Nor­wegr
    With 140 forks the 2013 carbon Atlas is 68.5 in the low setting and 69.1 in high.

mtbr member
    Here are some pics of mine. I absolutely love this bike. I've ridden many different bikes over the years and this one is as good as anything. My only complaint is that I would like to go back to steeper headangles and shorter fork offsets. I'm going to build up another very similar to this as my next bike once I sell this one. I may go with Magura brakes instead, but otherwise it will be about the same build. I have a hunch there's an Atlas replacement in the pipeline at Devinci.

Devinci Atlas Carbon-00d0d_k2udzt78sg6_600x450.jpg
    Devinci Atlas Carbon-01616_ciqfodixbx3_600x450.jpg
    Devinci Atlas Carbon-00o0o_hzij3djhpzt_600x450.jpg
    Name:  00Z0Z_jHQrGwOnPQw_600x450.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  33.1 KB
    Devinci Atlas Carbon-00a0a_eiprpdxum0_600x450.jpg
    Devinci Atlas Carbon-00i0i_arimspwwhw8_600x450.jpg
    Devinci Atlas Carbon-00505_9mfs07t7qgy_600x450.jpg
    Best Source for Ellsworth Devinci and Ventana!
    Velorangutan... the pedal type.
    Motorangutan... the motorized type.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

PIVOT Bearing working out

Has any one had this happen to their bearing on the pivot ? I wanted to clean up pivot points to see if it would alleviate the some creaking i was having and noticed this after a ride

the bearing has worked it self out some how slightly , i dont see how this is possible as it was put back together proper and torqued to spec , the other side is flush , has anyone see this or had this happen on any devinci seatstay pivots ?

mtbr member
    I have had a similar problem on a Salsa Big Mama I have had for almost six years. The first time I changed the bearings this happened and I put a small piece of coke can at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. This worked for over three years. I have very recently changed the bearings again and this time I hit a pin punch in the same places.

Whilst the pin punch makes an impression, the displaced metal forms a circular high spot around the punch point. I hit the punch as much to the outside of the housing as possible, so the majority of the bearing is pressed past it and theoretically retained by it.

So far so good. I think this is a fairly common problem on bikes at the seat stay/rocker interface.

Good luck with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    loctite bearing retainer seems to have fixed the issue !

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Anyone know the size of the largest 1x chainring that can be used? (alu frame, but I assume it's the same on both)
    I'd like some feedback on this too. I'm currently running a SRAM GXP crank with a 32t 1x direct mount ring on an Atlas Carbon medium. I'd like to go up to a 34t or oval 32t, but the chainstay clearance already looks tight.

What size 1x chainring are most people running? 32t? 34t? Will 36t fit?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by M0riarty View Post
    I'd like some feedback on this too. I'm currently running a SRAM GXP crank with a 32t 1x direct mount ring on an Atlas Carbon medium. I'd like to go up to a 34t or oval 32t, but the chainstay clearance already looks tight.

What size 1x chainring are most people running? 32t? 34t? Will 36t fit?
    I'm on a size small Atlas Carbon--I have a 36t and it fits no problem. I'd assume a 32 oval would work.

Nor­wegr
    34t works fine for me, a 36 would give me issues though. (Next sl crankset)

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    anybody running a 50mm stem on there Atlas ? iam running a 70mm atm with 785 bars on a large frame , wondering how a 50mm will handle or if ill get to much wander on the climbs ? 140mm fork on mine

Nor­wegr
    I'm using a 50mm stem, 720 bar and a 140 fork and get no lift/wander when climbing even the steepest of stuff. But I made sure when I bought the frame that the reach with a 50mm stem would be perfect for my bodysize.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm looking for an Owner's Manual for my 2013 Devinci Atlas Carbon RC - Medium.

Devinci refers me to dealer. They have no 2013 manuals. Online search gets nothing.

Anyone have one to share?

Is the Owner's Manual the same as the 3 page technical paper that has the part numbers, pivot diagrams, and torques? Or is it something completely different?

Barry

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yes, I believe the owner's manual is the 3 pager. I use that technical paper for nearly everything - a combination of that for part numbers and torque settings and the glossy catalogue for original parts spec (OEM names - I've still had to call Easton to get wheel specs though when I rebuilt them).

From the sounds of it, you've already found the three pager online. If you need any help with the original catalogue for parts and geometry, let me know and I'll scan the pages and send it to you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks. The 3 page manual/parts diagram/list that I have only shows the Large size frame. Do you have another version? Would ALL of the other parts be common for all frame sizes?
    Thanks for the offer of the original glossy catalog pages. Please email to nbadam at cox dot net.

Thanks,

Barry

Nor­wegr
    You can browse kits and geos in the link below aswell:
    DEVINCI 2013

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hi everyone, I just got a Devinci Atlas Carbon and want to put my DT Swiss rear shock on it. Can you tell me what width mounting hardware I need for the upper and lower parts of the rear shock? I think someone mentioned a M8 x 41.2 for the upper but just wanted to confirm that was right and also curious what I would need for the lower. Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Sorry that I didn't see this earlier - don't know what happened. The link that Vegard provided below has the specs that are in my glossy brochure. As for the three-pager, I've used those part numbers to order pivot bearings, pivot nut (guess I didn't torque it to the specs), and flip-chip. It's also been sufficient for me to talk to Easton regarding the wheels (before I upgraded). I think you should be good to go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Does anyone know if Devinci has dropped the Atlas from the lineup for 2016? I'm no longer seeing it listed on their site (from the main page anyway). I currently have a 2013 Atlas Carbon frame and love it, but I was half expecting them to update the bike with Boost 148 and internal routing, among other things.

There was no news about it at Interbike so I'm not too optimistic...

DEVINCI

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well, they have the Hendrix now which is basically that. No internal routing though and you'd obviously have to buy it as a frame only if you wanted to run 29" tires.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Gotcha. Looks interesting but definitely a different market segment - geometry, no carbon version - 8lb. frame! Certainly not the same kind of versatility as the Atlas.

So who are the current top short chain-stay FS 29ers? Evil, Canfield, Kona? I guess even the new Stumpjumper FSR has decently shorter stays now. Times change...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I ride an Atlas, closest thing to it I've ridden is a BH Linx 29er. Built one for my wife, it has the offset fork like everything Dave Weagle is helping design now, it's an amazing bike. Actually handles a little better than the Atlas, though I'm not ready to give up my Atlas!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have heard that several people were upset that Devinci ditched the 29ers and heard they are in the process of redesigning a new 29er full suspension and 29er hardtail. I believe the new Atlas is going to be more cross country oriented. Should be released summer of 2016.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've ridden the Atlas with a 100mm SID not good, I had a 120mm SID on mine for awhile and it handled way better than a 100mm. I now have a Pike 140mm and it's the best setup for the Atlas by far!

Nor­wegr
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmycricket View Post
    I have heard that several people were upset that Devinci ditched the 29ers and heard they are in the process of redesigning a new 29er full suspension and 29er hardtail. I believe the new Atlas is going to be more cross country oriented. Should be released summer of 2016.
    Considering how popular the trail segment of 29ers are right now I hope that's not the case; it would leave me with zero options in Devinci bikes. That would be sad.

If/when I replace my Atlas I guess it'll be with a Ripley or a 429 trail if the next iteration of the Atlas ends up being purebred xc.

mtbr member
    I will watch this with interest. Was looking at an Atlas but then they were discontinued. I had not pulled the trigger as I was not sure that I wanted that bike or the Kona process 111. For now it looks like I'm going with the Kona.

knobby noob
    Hi all. Enjoying my Atlas very much still:

2012 Devinci Atlas frame (M)
    LB 27mm hookless carbon rims /w Hope Pro II Evo hubs
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic 29"x2.25 (tubeless)
    2014 Fox 32 Float 120mm
    Nukeproof 760mm flat bar
    ODI TLD yellow grips
    Raceface Turbine 70mm stem
    Cane Creek 40 headset
    Raceface Respond seatpost
    Nukeproof Plasma saddle
    XT brakeset
    Raceface crank boots
    XX1 drivetrain /w 30t ring
    Shimano XT pedals

Now I am contemplating getting a carbon frameset (new ideally) to replace what I have. Any one knows of any LBS or online hook-ups otherwise? TIA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Devinci Atlas Carbon-11168124_10152894195975980_6061221783337431852_n.jpg  

2012 Giant Trance X1 (gone)
    2014 Yeti SB-66AC (gone)
    2015 Canyon Torque DHX
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 Evil Insurgent

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by axl886 View Post
    Now I am contemplating getting a carbon frameset (new ideally) to replace what I have. Any one knows of any LBS or online hook-ups otherwise? TIA.
    Devinci has discontinued the Atlas so you'll have to find a dealer with some already in stock. Try Wes at velorangutan.com. I know he had some carbon frames in stock a few months ago.

knobby noob
    Quote Originally Posted by 12snap View Post
    Devinci has discontinued the Atlas so you'll have to find a dealer with some already in stock. Try Wes at velorangutan.com. I know he had some carbon frames in stock a few months ago.
    Hey man, thanks for the headsup... emailed but unfortunately, they only have L and XL size. Drats.
    2014 Yeti SB-66AC (gone)
    2015 Canyon Torque DHX
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 Evil Insurgent

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hey man, thanks for the headsup... emailed but unfortunately, they only have L and XL size. Drats.
    Try www.fanatikbike.com. They have a medium on sale on their website. Just saw it today. Maybe they'll drop their price even more for Black Friday.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

knobby noob
    Quote Originally Posted by 12snap View Post
    Try Fanatik Bike Co. - Bellingham WA. They have a medium on sale on their website. Just saw it today. Maybe they'll drop their price even more for Black Friday.
    Yup, I actually know of that site already... fingers crossed for this coming weekend. Tbh, that price is still too dear for me, cos still gotta account for freight and taxes to my location.
    2014 Yeti SB-66AC (gone)
    2015 Canyon Torque DHX
    2016 Transition Smuggler
    2016 Evil Insurgent

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yup, I actually know of that site already... fingers crossed for this coming weekend. Tbh, that price is still too dear for me, cos still gotta account for freight and taxes to my location.
    I know what you mean. It might be worth a call to see if they'll come down on the price. You may want to go to the Devinci website and find the dealer list. Start calling them to see if they have any left in stock and are willing to ship to you. It's what I did when the Atlas was first released since I didn't have a dealer nearby.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Nor­wegr
    There's a used '13 carbon in medium with a pike on ebay for somewhat cheap.

Ghost poster
    Apr 2012
    Very nice ! Waiting on my wheels to get here for mine, can't wait.
    Lynskey Pro 29 SL brushed etched.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Its been a while since any one posted, but anyways, I was wondering If I should worry about this.. Seems like the clear coat chipped off 2 different spots and connected. I know it Looks awful (and it hurts) but its hidden under heli tape. I put black electric tape to cover it up. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_20160114_224010.jpg  

Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_20160114_223659.jpg  

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast