Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I am 5'11" too and I went for a large. Very happy with it!

This shows where my seat and my bars are, pretty normal:

The ETT of the Atlas simply is a very strange measurement on this bike. It really is not very useful for predicting fit, nor is the seat angle. My former bike was a Large Giant Anthem 29er. It has an ETT of 24.2". I put my saddle at the same horizontal and vertical distance from the BB, used the exact same stem and bars as the Anthem and the saddletip-bars measurement is exactly the same!

My hardtail has a 24" ETT too and I use moderate setback and a 90 mm stem. So... you need even more cockpit length than me!

Get a large. Don't get a medium. To me Devinci's size advice is right on the money. You are right you will need a very large stem on a medium. Chances are this bike will feel awkward. It'll be very nervous too, because it's a very short wheelbase bike to begin with.

You'll just have to be carefull with a dropper seatpost. If you have shorter legs than me and a 125mm Reverb like me, you will hit the wider part of the seatpost before you reached your seat height.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Devinci Atlas Carbon

I'm 5'10 and went with a Large. I do have short leggs and the dropperpost could not have been lower. Very happy with my size. On this bike reach is more accurate then TT due to the slack seattube. You would need to move the seat forward to compensate, so your TT would in real be shorter than whats in the geo-sheet. Also, for Atlas, are you in between sizes, general recomendations is to go up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the feedback. For a sanity check, would you guys mind sharing your stem length and saddle-tip to bar measurements?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My saddle-tip to centre of bars distance is about 58.

Stem length is 90 mm, bars are 710 wide. If you run bars less wide, you'll need a bit more stem length to get your upper body to the same angle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Which type of front derailleur can be used with the Atlas Carbon. Is it a high mount or low mount (S1 , S2, S3) direct mount version?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If you're interested, I'm selling a medium Atlas Carbon RC with a White Brothers 120mm fork in the classifieds. I've got a lot of love for this bike, but finally decided that I need a bigger frame. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Devinci Atlas Carbon, medium, 120mm WB fork - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

---

---
    Last edited by murphyo7; 10-23-2013 at 06:33 AM.

mtbr member

2014 Frames

The 2014 frames are on the website. Carbon seatstays, simplified flip chips like the Troy, and a $200 bump in price look like the big changes. They also went back to a FOX CTD shock. Still have the press fit BB and integrated HS. Disappointing, I was hoping that the alloy model would at least get a real BB & HS.

Devinci Atlas Carbon-2014-frame-atlas-carbon-blanc_.jpg

I've been running a 27 in rear wheel and the flip chips on HI to slacken out the front end a bit. I like it a lot better this way. The only difference I can tell is that I sometimes lose traction for a second on a steep loose climb I have near my house. Same tire just different size, 2.25 RaRa.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I like the black and white color combo better than the coral snake one. Also, the only experience I had with rockshox rear shocks was not positive, so I see move to Fox as a positive. The carbon stays should drop a little weight. I also like the shift to shimano slx on the rc build, though I'm surprised that no xx1/x01 combo is offered.

All in all, positive changes from my POV, with the exception of the price bump. I wonder if they are shipping the 2014 model now?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    So bought this nice frame (Devinci atlas carbon 2013) Large at 30% sale and want to gear it with a nice xx1 groupset... To be sure, I need a SRAM BB92 GXP PressFit MTB, and gxp cranks, but what about Qfactor ? Is there room for Q156 ?

for the fork I am looking at a x-fusion trace 120mm
    XT brakes probably...

Devinci Atlas Carbon-capture-d-cran-2013-09-26-8.08.09-pm.jpg

thanks !!
    can't wait to build this :-0

mtbr member
    You'll love the Trace, sorry I can't help with the other things I do have the XTR trail brakes and they are phenomenal. I have heard the same about the XT's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    You'll love the Trace, sorry I can't help with the other things I do have the XTR trail brakes and they are phenomenal. I have heard the same about the XT's.
    haha ;-)

and for those who wonder, the frame (large size) as it is now (with rear axle and plastic tube over it) weights 6 pounds

As for the crankset I think I will go with Q-168 to be sure....

mtbr member
    Does the new Atlas carbon frame 2014 come the cable routing for a dropper post ?
    I just checked with Performance they say they will carry the Devinci line for 2014.
    I have a ton of points with Performance I am hoping to order an Atlas Frame from them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The 2013 model allready had dropper post cable mounts, all external. The front has not changed in 2014 by the looks of it.

mtbr member
    So the rear is the only change ? They changed the rear to carbon ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    yes and some simplification on the eccentric pivot to change geometry

DEVINCI

mtbr member
    Thanks , I have been looking at the Czar and the Mach 429 its hard to look pass the Atlas with the frame guarantee and If I buy from Performance its a lifetime satisfaction too. It would be nice to Demo this bike as well as the others . From reading the reviews they our all great bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Devinci Atlas Carbon-13-1.jpg

Here's mine. 2014 frame. XX1 build kit moved over from my old bike. Reba fork, Crest/Hope wheels, XT brakes. Comes to 23.8lbs on my scale. Frame was 5.75 lbs with the rear axle.

Large is definitely the right size for me at 5' 10.5". I could even see running a 100mm stem instead of the 90mm I current have.

The build up was pretty easy. Cable routing was a pain. 5mm housing will not fit in the little hole they have in the chainstay, so I had to find 4mm. Even then, it's a tight fit. Forget about trying to install it with the crankset in place.

I had one short shakedown ride after the build. Initial impressions are quite good. It handles very well and the stiffness is noticeable. I have no idea if I'm in 'low' or 'high' mode - will have to figure that out when I have more daylight.

Thanks for everyone here for feedback, and thanks to Wes at www.pinkgorillabicycles.com | for establishing a dealership so I could get one locally...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Nice build !
    Mine (2013) is almost complete too... xx1, with xt brakes ;-)...
    Had the same problem with 5mm housing and also went for 4mm and we managed to install it with the 32t crankset installed...

for the hi-lo settings, here is the difference on the 2013 frames :

Devinci Atlas Carbon-capture-d-cran-2013-10-23-2.30.54-pm.jpg

but I know they changed some parts in there for 2014...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Build finally complete !
    large frame (I'm 5'10 1/2")
    - xx1 (q168, 170mm)
    - xt brakes
    - X-fusion trace RL2 set at 120mm
    - stan's flow ex rim and hubs
    - 700mm crankbrothers handlebar

maxxis Ardent 2,25 LUST rear and WTB bronson race 2.2 front, both tubeless

weight is 27 pounds with pedals

Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_2180.jpg
    Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_2181.jpg
    Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_2182.jpg
    Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_2183.jpg
    Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_2184.jpg

gonna ride it this afternoon :-)

mtbr member
    SWEET bike your gonna love that fork. Give us a good review when you get back from your ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Looks great. I was torn between the red/yellow and white. I like the matte finish better, but preferred white over red/yellow. Both look great.

I've gotten a few good rides in. Here's a report that I posted on a website local to me:

I did 22 miles on the trails at Brushy Creek last night. I'm not a suspension aficionado. I've never had a shock 'pushed', avoid ones with multiple levers/doodads because it's just more stuff to mess up, and tend to limit my 'tuning' to setting air pressure to a level that works for me. To me, a great suspension is one that makes me more comfortable, makes the bike more controllable, but is otherwise transparent. I've been on Horst link bikes for the last 12 years or so because they came closest to that - only faltering, imo, on out-of-saddle pedaling. I went with something else this time because Ellsworth has priced themselves out of my market, and I wanted to try something different.

The suspension on the Atlas works very well, ime. It has more of a 'platform', and as such, does noticeably better with out of saddle pedaling. I was afraid this would mean lots of pedal kick back, but I didn't notice it on the trail. The bike has a nice mix of proper pedaling manners, while still being plush enough to soak up chatter. I don't like super plush bikes, so YMMV - but it works fine for me. Traction for climbing was good as well. In theory, the DW Split Link should let the frame designer pick a pivot location that pedals well, without having to worry about that location negatively impacting braking. It seems to deliver. The bike pedaled very well and still braked well in the chatter.

The bike itself is very stable. It's a bit slacker and a bit shorter than what I was on before. The front of the bike is very easy to lift up over obstacles, and the shorter wheelbase makes it seem like you're riding a smaller bike. I didn't have any issues keeping the front end planted when climbing, but Brushy Creek doesn't really have too much super steep sketchy stuff, so I'll need more time on it to fully evalutate.

The bottom bracket is a bit lower than my old bike, too - at least in the 'low' geometry setting the bike is currently set at. I had a few pedal strikes - nothing super out of the ordinary. I'll give it a few more rides to see if I adjust - if not, I'll switch to the 'high' geometry setting.

The bike is noticeably stiffer than the Evolve. I'm 160-ish pounds and never really thought I was flexing the Ellsworth, but there's a true difference in how the back end of the bike tracks. How much of that is chainstay length vs frame materials/build, I don't know - but it a definite positive change.

All in all, very positive initial experiences. I was more tired than usual on this ride due to lack of sleep and a busy work schedule. I tend to notice 'defects' a lot more when I'm tired - so having a positive experience on a new bike that's very different while chasing X-Ray through 22 miles of trail is a high compliment. I also -love- how light the bike is. It just feels fast.

In short, if you want a bike that pedals well, handles well, rides more like a 26er, but has the benefits of 29" wheels, and is a good value compared to other carbon bikes out there, check out the Atlas. Wes has (or will have) a demo Atlas for folks to try out.
    All in all, I'm very pleased. I'm still working on positioning on the bike - having lowered and flipped the stem to put the bars a bit lower. I'm going to try a 100mm stem, too. It definitely does not fit like a 25" tt imo - much more like the 24" I came off of.

mtbr member
    does the SP squat, or wallow? notably when transitioning from flat to steep, or g-outs etc. what's it feel like climbing over square edges? do you get much bob when standing?

I'm only familiar with FSR and Maestro suspensions.

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    posted in the wrong spot
    Last edited by vwvoodoo; 10-25-2013 at 12:40 PM. Reason: wrong spot
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Under power, the suspension holds up better than the Horst link bikes I've ridden on steeper climbing. If you're not under power, any resistance to squatting is going to be fully dependent on the shock. Bob when standing is the same - under power the bike stiffens up more than the horst link bikes I've ridden so it stays up in the travel better, but if you just are standing on the pedals and bouncing, it's going to move as much as the shock lets it. I've not noticed any wallow. I don't have enough time on it to speak to square edge bumps. It's a single pivot axle path, so it shouldn't be dramatically different than similarly laid out single pivots, faux bar or even Horst.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Got two 10km nice ride on it , with some snow too...
    first time my saddle was set too far and climbing suffered but I'm getting the position dialed now and the bike feels great ! A couple of PR on strava too so not slow at all... Too many new things for me to analyse what is doing what but I do love the fork and xx1 is really quiet and shifting sharp... love it !

Devinci Atlas Carbon-capture-d-cran-2013-10-25-6.02.47-pm.jpg

Devinci Atlas Carbon-capture-d-cran-2013-10-25-6.02.58-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    TechniKal nice review

mtbr member
    going to demo a '12 atlas c in a couple of days. I weigh around 230lbs geared up. Any recommendations on what I should setup the shock pressure to start with?

really excited to test ride this bike. it's been on my shortlist for awhile.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Anybody using anglesets to slack the head angle out? Liking the new Kona 111 geometry but would rather have this frame I think.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I don't think there's an angleset that'll work with the integrated headset the frame uses.

On shock setup, I'm running about 10% more than my body weight. This is on the 2014 frame that uses the Fox rear shock. Don't know if that would vary on the frames running Rockshock.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    my updated review:

Since weather conspires to keep my from riding my new bike, I thought I'd post more thoughts about it... Full disclosure - I hassled Wes to bring in Devinci and, as such, want to see them succeed. Wes is also a good friend so I want to see him succeed. That said, I wouldn't promote something I didn't like...

I've gotten several good rides in, managed to get my position dialed in and the suspension set up in a way that's comfortable to me.

I'll start with the cons. There are 2 things I don't like about the bike, and both are related. The 'wings' on the downtube where the shock mounts are solid, and as such capture water and muck. That's dislike #1. Dislike #2 is that this water and muck accumulation makes the shock pivot creak. It's amplified on the carbon frame. A shot of WD40 fixes it - at least until the next wetter ride. Assuming we finally see an end to this biblical rain, this shouldn't be a long term concern, but it's annoying. I think I'll try out those needle bearing shock mounts to see if it resolves the problem. Oh - and dislike #3 - cable routing is a pain in the ass. WTF do people think internal cable routing is a positive thing? The main frame uses external routing, which is nice, functional and simple - but they use internal through the chainstay. It's impossible to fit 5mm housing. It's hard to run with the crank installed. It hard to measure correct housing length. So, due to some fashion statement, I have a bunch of 5mm housing that doesn't work, and it took me 30 minutes longer to build the bike than it otherwise would have. Luckily it uses full length housing, so I won't have to deal with it often - but life would be better without internal routing.

Now onto the Pros. The suspension on this bike works well. Really well. Really, really well... I know all about single pivot axle path and whatnot - but the combination of pivot location, chainstay length and shock tune work together to really make an enjoyable ride on the trail. I run the shock in 'descend' mode exclusively, and it's more stable than the horst bikes I've owned with propedal. Pedaling does extend the suspension, and it's noticeable if you're looking for it riding around on pavement, but on the trail it rocks. The back of the bike stays up when climbing, and hard efforts are rewarded by pushing the back tire more firmly into the ground, giving better traction. The suspension is still active enough to ride through stuff rather than over it. Braking continues to be superb. As I've said before, I'm not the type to notice all the nuances of suspension setup, and personally believe that almost all designs today are 'good enough', and that most improvements are on the margins of performance - but after being a horst link bigot for years, I really, really like pedaling this bike. It works like I think a suspension bike should.

The handling is very stable. I'm no longer 'sawing' the bars like I did on my Evolve. This is another of those old time bigotries I have to put aside. I have always avoided slacker bikes as I assumed they'd handle like crap for anyone riding slower, more technical trails. While the Atlas isn't super slack by today's standards at 69d HT angle, it's a lot slacker than what I'm used to. The feared 'floppiness' of the front end is not present. I stick to my line better. I can ride on top of curbs pretty much indefinitely. The bike goes where I point it. Add in the shorter chainstays, and the bike is a blast. There are sections of trail where I always struggled with 'pulling' the rear tire around that are no longer an issue. But I still have the stability I love about 29ers due to the slacker angles and big wheels.

I'm still getting used to the Reba fork. It's not as plush as the Fox I'm used to. It's also strange that it 'shortens' based on how much air pressure you run. Ex - I set it up at 25% sag, it stays at 10% sag even when I'm not on the bike. This has something to do with the negative air spring, I assume, but I spent an hour fretting that I'd ordered a 100mm fork instead of a 120mm. The Rockshock thru axle makes a lot more sense than Fox's. I like that it expands to lock both sides of the fork together.

When moving to this bike, I went with a longer TT and shorter stem - from 24"tt / 110mm stem to a 25"tt / 90mm stem. The setup works well. My weight is biased more to the rear of the bike. Combined with the short stays, I can actually wheelie (though not gracefully, but hey - it's better than I usually do) and getting the front end up on ledges, or making dramatic line changes is very easy. I was concerned that this setup would result in too little weight on the front tire, killing high speed handling and climbing, but I haven't seen it. I think keeping the overall reach the same keeps the weight balance manageable.

Fit and finish of the bike is good. It's not an Ellsworth or a Turner, with all the beautiful machine work - there's nothing polished, nothing twisted into impossibly beautiful shapes - but it's well made and costs considerably less. The comparable Ellsworth carbon frame I was looking at is over $1000 more, which is kind of silly, even for a bike snob like me.

IMO, this is a perfect bike for Austin trails. It's light. It climbs well. It descends well. It's stable. It's fun. It's reasonably priced. I'm happy with my purchase - would be much happier if it would stop raining so I could actually ride more...

mtbr member
    Yes I have . Is a matter of fact I am selling an angle set off my hard tail . My new bike is already slack. I really like the angle set. adds 1.5 degrees slacker

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mark59 View Post
    TechniKal nice review
    +1!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by confused View Post
    Anybody using anglesets to slack the head angle out? Liking the new Kona 111 geometry but would rather have this frame I think.
    Consider the RX model with the 140mm fork (or build up a frame with a longer fork) as a little bit of a closer match to the 111. Last time I checked the Devinci website they didn't have all the correct geometry numbers for the RX model to reflect the longer fork, depending where you look. In the low setting with a 140 fork it should be 68.5ļ HTA.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    For folks that installed the needle bearing shock pivot - did this solve the creaking issue permanently?

Mine creaks - I clean it up, regrease, torque it properly and it'll quiet down for an hour or two of riding, then it starts making noise again. I don't want to mess with changing the hardware if it's not going to solve the problem.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TechniKal View Post
    For folks that installed the needle bearing shock pivot - did this solve the creaking issue permanently?

Mine creaks - I clean it up, regrease, torque it properly and it'll quiet down for an hour or two of riding, then it starts making noise again. I don't want to mess with changing the hardware if it's not going to solve the problem.
    Mine actually did help. I was having the exact same problem. I am actually getting ready to sell my 2013 Devinci Atlas Carbon, size medium. I have been riding it since June coming off of a Turner Sultan and the Atlas is a great bike, but just a little racier than what I want. I miss the monster truck feel of the Sultan, however I will miss the playful short chainstays. I will be ordering the necessary parts to put most everything back on the Sultan. The frame will be sold with the CC headset, a Raceface bottom bracket and a Shimano XT front derailleur. I also have two different forks that I would entertain selling with the frame if interested: 2014 Fox 120mm Float 32mm 15mmQR. Fork is mint and only ridden for two rides. The other is a Rockshox Revelation 140mm RCT with 20mm maxle. Both forks are black. Also have other parts that were color cordinated with frame: handlebars, seatpost, saddle, crankset. Let me know if there is any interest out there and I can post pics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

I just built mine out and after 2 ride it was creaking . Strip down all the upper pivots, (did not want to take off cranks for lower so shot some Liquid Chain lube in there) and took out shock and lightly greased EVERYTHING. Most of my creaking I think was at the hi/lo pivot point which appears that King Kong tightened up at the Devinci factory , also already had grit/sand between pivots there also . See how long it stays creak free.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug67 View Post
    Mine actually did help. I was having the exact same problem. I am actually getting ready to sell my 2013 Devinci Atlas Carbon, size medium. I have been riding it since June coming off of a Turner Sultan and the Atlas is a great bike, but just a little racier than what I want. I miss the monster truck feel of the Sultan, however I will miss the playful short chainstays. I will be ordering the necessary parts to put most everything back on the Sultan. The frame will be sold with the CC headset, a Raceface bottom bracket and a Shimano XT front derailleur. I also have two different forks that I would entertain selling with the frame if interested: 2014 Fox 120mm Float 32mm 15mmQR. Fork is mint and only ridden for two rides. The other is a Rockshox Revelation 140mm RCT with 20mm maxle. Both forks are black. Also have other parts that were color cordinated with frame: handlebars, seatpost, saddle, crankset. Let me know if there is any interest out there and I can post pics.
    Shutterbug I would be interested in the frame and headset. If possible please send info and pics to me.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bervin View Post
    Shutterbug I would be interested in the frame and headset. If possible please send info and pics to me.
    Last edited by shutterbug67; 11-12-2013 at 09:34 AM. Reason: adding pics

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Mine creaked from the first few weeks that I rode it. Taking the suspension apart would stop it for a short period, then it would start back up. Tried everything, grease, torque, new shock mount hardware etc etc. Devinci has just replaced the frame with the 2014 model, with the Fox Shock. Hopefully this will solve the problem as I spent all summer working on this thing instead of riding it. My diagnosis is that the metal post that goes through the upper shock mount is 1.5 mm longer than the length of the shock eyelet and the reducers. I could grab the top of the shock and slide it back and forth. I believe that lead to premature wear on the shock mount hardware, This is also the first bike where I have had to replace a full bearing kit, after only riding it for a month. If you want to see the play in the shock mount, send me a pm and I'll forward you a link to the video that shows the play.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Well creaking started back up after 2 rides again. This time stopped a half dozen times on the last half of my ride dismounting the bike and could get it to creak by compressing and flexing the bike. Was able to feel and hear were the creaking was coming from and itís definitely the top shock mount/rocker arms.

At home took top shock mount apart and what I thought was interesting is the top shock bolt/post is quite a bit smaller diameter/loose going through the rocker arms, it tight going through the shock hardware though. So I donít know if that has anything to do with it.

Anyways I wrapped the whole bolt/post with a tight layer of Teflon tape, tapped it back in and put it back together. We will see how long this lasts.

This is a great and fun bike. But there is no way I can live with this creaking, it extremely annoying and ruined my ride today.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've had better luck with Anti-seize stopping the creak than grease, but it still comes back. I have one of the needle bearing mounts but haven't had a chance to install it.

Two things I've noticed that may contribute to the creak. First, the shock hardware is very tight fit in the rocker arm. So tight that if I can't reinstall the shock without backing the chainstay and seatpost pivot bolts on the rocker arm back a bit. This is on a 2014 frame with the new Fox plastic bushings.

Second thing I've noticed is that I can get the creaking to stop simply by loosening and retightening the upper shock bolt. I don't have to clean it. I use a torque wrench, so I'm consistent with getting it back to the same level. It seems like something is "binding" and loosening the bolt lets everything settle. Makes no sense, but I have no better explanation.

I'll try to get the needle bearing mount in this week and see if it helps. The anti seize is lasting for 10 or so hours of riding, so I'm not as frantic about fixing it.

Also, if you want needle bearings but don't care about the bling of the nice kit RWC sells, you can pick up the ABI needle bearing kit for a lot less $. Most local bike stores should be able to order it, too. I believe this is the right size:

Enduro Rear Shock Needle Bearing Kits (100118121) at CambriaBike.com

mtbr member
    I know your frustration . I have been single speeding for years with different frame materials all at some point start creaking. I have been so keen and sensitive to creaking over the years of riding . I just bought the new Trek Remedy and there is no creaking because Trek designed the bottom bracket different there is no shell around the bearing its built into the frame. And Trek also makes a bearing that is supposed to be 1000 over size if there is an issue with the orginal . It appears Trek did their home work with these new BB designs.
    I just sold a carbon Lurcher On One and it was creaking so bad the BB30 would slide into the frame with ease. I even demoed a S Works Enduro and I could here creaking coming from the bottom bracket. I had my eye on the Atlas . But once I heard about the Trek being a none issue with the creaking I headed in that direction. I love the bike. I was pretty much dead set against any bearing inside the frame until I heard the feed back of Trek owners. For some of us who cannot live with creaking and other various noise it can be extremely annoying. Hope you find some solution . Thanks for sharing and be honest.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Knock on wood, but I've had no issues with the bottom bracket making noise. I went with one of the Enduro / KCNC ones, it fits securely and has been silent. We've had more rain and dealt with more water crossings in the last month that we do a typical year, so I'm pleased so far. It's just something funky going on with the upper shock mount.

mtbr member
    Good luck thats probably better then a BB issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Two things I've noticed that may contribute to the creak. First, the shock hardware is very tight fit in the rocker arm. So tight that if I can't reinstall the shock without backing the chainstay and seatpost pivot bolts on the rocker arm back a bit. This is on a 2014 frame with the new Fox plastic bushings.

Second thing I've noticed is that I can get the creaking to stop simply by loosening and retightening the upper shock bolt. I don't have to clean it. I use a torque wrench, so I'm consistent with getting it back to the same level. It seems like something is "binding" and loosening the bolt lets everything settle. Makes no sense, but I have no better explanation.
    So you are still having the same type of creaking issues in the 2014? My replacement 2014 frame is waiting for me to build it up, but if it is going to creak like the 2013 then I don't want anything to do with it.

My 2013 was the same in that simply loosening the top shock mount would temporarily make the creak go away, but twenty minutes later it would return. Everyone should be on the phone with Devinci customer service with this, they know they have an issue with this bike. My shop and I have both been in contact with head office, and my bike sat there for nearly two months this summer before they replaced the frame.
    Last edited by cdn_hammer; 11-21-2013 at 10:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I doubt that the needle bearings are going to solve the issue, though it might help a little. Think this is more of an issue with the way the top rocker arms are holding the top shock/mounting hardware. Only time I was getting creaking the other day was when I put a side load/flex on the top shock mounting hardware. I did not even have to compress the shock to get it to creak, just flex the it side ways with a load.

I think the issue might be as simple as the top rocker arms holes being too big for the top shock post/bolt. If you put the post/bolt through just the rocker arms (without the shock) there is a ton of play in it. So it seems like this is allowing the top of the shock to shift within the rocker arms under side load, thus the creaking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Here is the video I took of the play in the top shock mount. As I stated in an earlier post, the metal post that goes through the shock eye is longer than the total distance of the shock eyelet and the reducers, thus allowing the top of the shock to rock back and forth with any side loading. I feel that this is at least 'part' of the issue with the shock mount and the incessant creaking.

Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    I doubt that the needle bearings are going to solve the issue, though it might help a little. Think this is more of an issue with the way the top rocker arms are holding the top shock/mounting hardware. Only time I was getting creaking the other day was when I put a side load/flex on the top shock mounting hardware. I did not even have to compress the shock to get it to creak, just flex the it side ways with a load.

I think the issue might be as simple as the top rocker arms holes being too big for the top shock post/bolt. If you put the post/bolt through just the rocker arms (without the shock) there is a ton of play in it. So it seems like this is allowing the top of the shock to shift within the rocker arms under side load, thus the creaking.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    yeah - mine's a 2014 and creaks, though doesn't sound as dramatic as yours. With grease, I was getting a couple of hours of silence. With anti-seize, it's 5-10 hours.

I haven't checked to see how much play exists in the rocker arm holes. I was surprised to see a serrated nut and a shoulder bolt used. I thought serrated nuts were typically only used on softer materials like wood. And the shoulder bolt step down makes the nut an awful wimpy size, though I guess there's not much side load pressure to worry about.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    So how come mine does not creak and has not for half a year? Not sure if this is a design problem or a few bikes off spec.

Like I said earlier: My bike made some noise initially, but after cleaning all the excess grease off every pivot point of and tightening the bolts, things were fine and they stayed that way.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast