Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Devinci Atlas Carbon

Last edited by Nilsern; 05-10-2013 at 03:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    How do you find the seating position on the Atlas given the slack seat angle? Especially those of you who put a longer fork in it.
    I'm also interested in the Atlas (aluminum model), but I'm a afraid that it might be uncomfortable for longer rides and steep climbes. Don't like travel-adjust forks so 120 would be the most interesting option. But this still leads to a 71 seat angle, which is way slacker than my current bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    How would I go about reducing the travel of the stock revelation to 120 mm?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    So after a couple of rides on my stock carbon RSX, today I flipped the chip into the "high" position. Wow that is so much better for the climbs. I'm wondering if I can replicate the steeper seat angle but keep the lower bb height and slacker head angle of the low position by shortening the fork travel down to 120 and using an angleset?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by madtrix View Post
    How do you find the seating position on the Atlas given the slack seat angle? Especially those of you who put a longer fork in it.
    I'm also interested in the Atlas (aluminum model), but I'm a afraid that it might be uncomfortable for longer rides and steep climbes. Don't like travel-adjust forks so 120 would be the most interesting option. But this still leads to a 71 seat angle, which is way slacker than my current bikes.
    With 140 mm and in the low position, the slack seat angle really sucks on climbs.

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by _tom_ View Post
    With 140 mm and in the low position, the slack seat angle really sucks on climbs.
    I'd disagree... It's not a racer at that point, but for the DH capability of the bike, it climbs quite well with 140mm in low position. I want that low BB so I can carve the DH and flats, and keep the front end as slack as possible.
    I think it's all about what you want and expect out of the bike - and the beauty of it is that it has a huge amount of flexibility to accommodate a variety of riding styles.
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    You'll need a different size Solo Air Spring. See the tech doc from RockShox

http://cdn.sram.com/cdn/farfuture/Vz...ice_manual.pdf

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by madtrix View Post
    Keep in mind that the seat angle on the Devinci website is 'virtual'. It's the angle that you would get from a straight line through the BB centre and a point on the seat tube at the height of the top headset cover. As you can see, the seat tube is far from straight. After the bend, it moves backward at a much slacker angle.

This means that your seat placement gets a bit critical if the tip of your saddle sits relatively high up, but also not far behind the BB. You might end up with your saddle way forward on the seat clamp. It might even be impossible to mount it at the position of your current bike. Sure, you can alter your seating position and rotate yourself backwards on the bike so to speak, but that indeed could be uncomfortable and hurt climbing.

That said, it all depends on your leg proportions and thus where you want your seat to be. Mine is at 76cm from the BB centre to a point 12cm from the rear of the saddle. The tip of the saddle is about 10cm behind the BB. My seatpost clamp is centered on the seat rails. The seatpost is a Rock Shox Reverb, which has no setback. I ride a Large Atlas with 120mm White Brothers Loop fork.

I have done lots of techy, really steep climbing this week and the Atlas did a great job.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Atlas carbon vs jet 9 rdo

Hey Billy Davis, I wanted to ask you what you like (and don't like) about the Atlas carbon since you've had plenty of ride time on it. I have been following this tread to help me in my choice of club rides/race frames, and I am leaning more towards the Devinci, with the jet 9 rdo being the other choice. Any thoughts or opinons on all this? Any input would be a help.
    Thanks, RT

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Thompson View Post
    Hey Billy Davis, I wanted to ask you what you like (and don't like) about the Atlas carbon since you've had plenty of ride time on it. I have been following this tread to help me in my choice of club rides/race frames, and I am leaning more towards the Devinci, with the jet 9 rdo being the other choice. Any thoughts or opinons on all this? Any input would be a help.
    Thanks, RT
    I just built an Atlas Carbon for a customer as a race/fast trail bike. It has an XX1 drivetrain, XT brakes, Crest wheels, and a 100mm SID, weighing in at 24.6lbs. He is blown away at the speed of the bike and how plush it feels for a race-worthy rig. He said that it feels almost like a hardtail in pedaling efficiency but let him rally his XC downhills as fast as his Pivot 5.7 (with 150mm fork).

I like Niner, but I'd say that the Split Pivot feels much more direct in your pedal stroke, making it the better race option. Weights are similar, and the robust nature of the frame gives me lots of confidence (and mine is built up as a trail bike w/140mm).
    Devinci Atlas Carbon-2013-05-11-12.09.49.jpg

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    Hey guys - I found a use for the direct mount on a 1x11 Atlas...

Wisecracker bottle opener held on with a Devinci headset cap:
    Devinci Atlas Carbon-2013-05-11-14.31.31.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Wow, that is sweet looking. I am going build one very close to that, except I was considering a reba fork. I would like to know what you think of a SID vs a reba (flex, smoothness of the ride, etc.) I was on the fence between a xx or xo build, but this looks too good and is probably lighter.
    Thanks, RT

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    Wow, that is sweet looking. I am going build one very close to that, except I was considering a reba fork. I would like to know what you think of a SID vs a reba (flex, smoothness of the ride, etc.) I was on the fence between a xx or xo build, but this looks too good and is probably lighter.
    Thanks, RT
    The current SID is a good deal lighter than the Reba, and every one that I've ridden has been very nicely controlled (damping knobs actually work as you expect) and have been very smooth from the box. Current Rebas have been a little less consistent, but still better than Fox products that I've been around. I'd say if you're building a bike with 120mm or less, go with SID. If you need more, get a White Bros Loop, check out the new X-Fusions, or wait a little bit for a Pike.
    If you need help building up that Atlas, PM me...I can help make that happen.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I love the setup. Can beer lubricate the chain AND you?!?

mtbr member

Carbon Atlas update

Thanks, RT
    Robert I am loving every minute on the Devinci. I ended up with 100mm stem with the seat mid position. Feels spot on fit wise vs my Scott Spark large. I'm blown away with how fun the bike is. Just rode brown county and just cant keep the wheels on the ground!

Specifically vs the Niner, nothing wrong at all with the Niner its a really nice rig, but the Niner is quite a bit longer and much more difficult to manual and feels less playful. In addition the split pivot is really compliant and fun/fast at the same time.

Biggest nit pick I can make so far is too much over steer especially compared to my Scott Spark. I plan on switching from 100mm to 120mm fork soon to tame the steering a bit. If you like a quick steering rig then go with the 100mm IMO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Billy Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Davis View Post
    Robert I am loving every minute on the Devinci. I ended up with 100mm stem with the seat mid position. Feels spot on fit wise vs my Scott Spark large. I'm blown away with how fun the bike is. Just rode brown county and just cant keep the wheels on the ground!

Specifically vs the Niner, nothing wrong at all with the Niner its a really nice rig, but the Niner is quite a bit longer and much more difficult to manual and feels less playful. In addition the split pivot is really compliant and fun/fast at the same time.

Biggest nit pick I can make so far is too much over steer especially compared to my Scott Spark. I plan on switching from 100mm to 120mm fork soon to tame the steering a bit. If you like a quick steering rig then go with the 100mm IMO.
    Billy Davis, what position is the chip in? Putting it in the low position should slow down your steering, unless you want to tame it down more. For me, I'm in Florida, and lot of our trails are tight and twisty, so quickness is needed unless you like eating tree bark!
    I am still undecided on forks; a SID, a reba, a Fox, or a WB loop. The lightest would be the SID and I'm leaning towards that, but will it work as well? Any suggestions?
    Thanks, RT

Off the saddle
    vwvoodoo, what size (q-factor and length) XX1 crankset did you install on that Atlas?

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jizzim View Post
    vwvoodoo, what size (q-factor and length) XX1 crankset did you install on that Atlas?
    168Q
    175mm arm length

Off the saddle
    Thanks for the info. Due to budgetary reasons I'm really looking at the Atlas Carbon frameset. I had a few other frames high on the list but this is making it's way quickly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Anyone care to comment on downhill chunkfest capabilities? I know it only has 110mm travel but paired with a 140 fork what can she handle? Coming from a 6" travel 29er i'm used to plowing everything but dying on the climbs, looking for a bike that i can ride long distance, still eat up chunk, and just have plain ol fun on!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    right - I am thinking of changing my current bike (Yeti ASR5) for one of these

Please someone - put me off!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    @confused and charliemort, I have the same comment on you both: I'd advise to try out an Atlas or at least a bike with similar travel / wheelsize. A Specialized Camber or Giant Anthem 29er for example, if you can get test bikes with at least 120mm front travel. These got way different geometries to the Atlas, but similar amounts of rear travel.

I am very happy with my Atlas in 120/110 config in the downhills, but it's very hard to judge how much the chunck absorption qualities are impaired. For sure, I have the feeling my fork is the biggest constraint to improve downhill speed (apart from my own skills), but 1.5" less rear travel seems like a lot. So, there should be a difference, but wether it's too much to give up for easier climbing, only you can decide.

Same with the ASR5. My experience is that a 29" FS can get away with less travel and still feel as capable as a 26" with 2-3" more travel. The difference is subtile though and highly dependant on the rider. A friend of mine rides a 26" RM Element with the amount of travel of the ASR5. It's a playful bike and he's plenty fast on it. So, same thing... I think only a test ride on a 100-110ish travel 29" FS will tell you if the improvement is there and worth it.

If it is, I can fully recommend the Atlas Carbon.
    Last edited by JeroenK; 05-31-2013 at 03:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Any recommendations for an ideal placement of the adhesive downtube protector?

Placing it close to the BB would cover the serial number plate, so that doesn't seem like a good idea. So where should it go? Should the bottom edge of the protector mount below the serial number plate, just above it, or above the red Devinci logo where the grey paint strip begins?

It would be great to hear where some of you have chosen to mount the protector. Also, has anyone found a better protector than the one provided by Devinci? Thanks!

Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_6234.jpg

Off the saddle
    I posted this on the General Discussion forum but it's worth checking out. It's from 3M and is made for cars. It sprays on as a liquid, i.e. easy to apply, and dries as a peelable film. It's clear as well so it won't cover up any decals.
    3M Auto: Products for People Who Love Cars

Edit to add: With that said, no one knows if it'll lift decals that are not clearcoated over when you go to peel it off.

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf View Post
    Any recommendations for an ideal placement of the adhesive downtube protector?

Placing it close to the BB would cover the serial number plate, so that doesn't seem like a good idea. So where should it go? Should the bottom edge of the protector mount below the serial number plate, just above it, or above the red Devinci logo where the grey paint strip begins?

It would be great to hear where some of you have chosen to mount the protector. Also, has anyone found a better protector than the one provided by Devinci? Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6234.jpg 
Views:	663 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	804348
    The carbon around the BB junction is pretty thick, so I went a little higher on mine - just above the Devinci label. On a few customer's bikes I went a little lower, covering the devinci symbol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Devinci Atlas Carbon-2013-05-31-07.25.34.jpg  

Devinci Atlas Carbon-2013-05-27-13.06.00.jpg  

Devinci Atlas Carbon-2013-05-24-18.22.13.jpg  

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast