Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by M0riarty View Post
    Just a follow up to this: I've had the same upper shock pivot creaking issue as several others in this thread. I have installed the RWC needle bearing kit and with 2 rides on it to date, my creaking issue is gone! Also small bump sensitivity has increased slightly. I did end up having to use the middle size inner ring (included with the kit), due to the tolerance differences.

Quality piece of kit Chris, Thanks!

Attachment 863552
    Looks great! Which specific RWC kit is that? I'm having a hard time figuring out which ones to buy.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenzington View Post
    Looks great! Which specific RWC kit is that? I'm having a hard time figuring out which ones to buy.

Thanks!
    This is the 41.15mm kit and no shims are necessary.

RWC SHOCK EYE NEEDLE BEARING KITS

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by M0riarty View Post
    This is the 41.15mm kit and no shims are necessary.

RWC SHOCK EYE NEEDLE BEARING KITS
    Awesome! Thanks, man!

Did you or anyone else end up replacing the lower bushing, as well? If so, size for that? I'd like to replace both and order at the same time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenzington View Post
    Awesome! Thanks, man!

Did you or anyone else end up replacing the lower bushing, as well? If so, size for that? I'd like to replace both and order at the same time.
    Save your money. There's not enough movement at the lower pivot to make it worthwhile to replace it. Check out post #277 from this same thread. Chris at RWC convinced a buyer that the needle bearings weren't needed at the lower pivot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Can anyone give me an idea of how to set up the rear suspension? What kind of pressure is everyone running in terms of percentage of body weight? What kind of sag? I don't have an owners manual so I'm just looking for a place to start.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I am running 30% sag practically everywhere.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Definitely go with the revelation dual position air. 140 is great for downhill, but very challenging, if not impossible, to keep on the ground uphill. I came from an s-works brain eta-150 and the rockshox on my Atlas doesn't have any of the front-end packdown or rebound problems - an amazing difference . When running a longer fork, make sure the suspension is in the "high" mode or you will feel like you are riding a low-rider chopper. That might be fine for pure downhill, but I always have to climb up before getting to come down

The dual position pike would be a great option, but no discounts and it only comes in white

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    Dave Weagle has a suspension set up video on youtube.
    What front derailleur does the Atlas require ? High mount or low ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Wondering if any of you Atlas owners have also ridden the Troy and can compare the two. I currently have a 29er hard tail (Salsa El Mar) which I love, but in addition to getting a little old with a bad back, I'm also just looking for a more playful bike too.

So I've been mostly looking at 27.5 bikes with the Troy, Norco Sight and SC Solo as front runners. However, with the short chainstays on the Atlas, I'm now a little torn b/c I really dig the 29er experience and it sounds like the Atlas gives you what is often missing in 29er.

I ride mostly what I would call technical XC, sometimes veering into I guess trail (always wonder what each "category" means to different people.) No hucking, just little drops and jumps — but I'd like to start progressing to a little bit bigger stuff. If any of you live/ride Oregon/WA and California, for reference in OR/WA I ride Syncline, Post Canyon, Sandy Ridge, Cold Creek, etc. and in CA Tamarancho, Anadel and trips to Downieville. If anyone has taken their Atlas to these trails, can you comment on the ride and your setup?

Last thing: I demoed a M Troy — I'm 5'10.75" with a 30" inseam. The M felt a tiny bit cramped, but I mean tiny. Could easily have been chalked up to new bike experience. Also I didn't tweak anything except saddle height. After a few more rides I'd probably feel fine with minor adjustments.

My experience has been that if a frame runs short or long, usually other models from the same manufacturer follow suit — basically a geo/design philosophy applied across the entire line. However, from the Troy threads and my own experience, it sounds like the Troys run short whereas here it sounds like a lot of you are saying the Atlas is either true or a little long.

If I went with the Troy, I was thinking large with a short stem. Started off thinking M with the Atlas, but not so sure. Of course I'd demo before I bought but just curious about your thoughts.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    You might try a size L. I'm 6'3" and am pretty much at the very limit. In fact, i need to pick up a longer LEV post because mine is slightly above the max line and even the stem is a bit short. I'm in Northern CA with mostly hardpack singletrack with minimal big rocks but lots of climbing and descending. The Atlas absolutely blows away my previous 2010 S-Works stumpy 26 in every direction with a Revelation dual position fork. The dual position is critical though because 140 is definitely too long on technical climbs. Set on the high rear suspension position, the bike does everything well, though a bit heavy for pure XC fire roads.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11" and the Larges in both the Troy and Atlas feel good to me. I have an Atlas in large with a 75mm stem.

I've ridden both and they are different animals. I prefer the larger 29er wheel and more XCish handling for my style of riding. The troy has longer travel and slacker angles. It just depends on what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeynets View Post
    Wondering if any of you Atlas owners have also ridden the Troy and can compare the two. I currently have a 29er hard tail (Salsa El Mar) which I love, but in addition to getting a little old with a bad back, I'm also just looking for a more playful bike too.

So I've been mostly looking at 27.5 bikes with the Troy, Norco Sight and SC Solo as front runners. However, with the short chainstays on the Atlas, I'm now a little torn b/c I really dig the 29er experience and it sounds like the Atlas gives you what is often missing in 29er.

I ride mostly what I would call technical XC, sometimes veering into I guess trail (always wonder what each "category" means to different people.) No hucking, just little drops and jumps — but I'd like to start progressing to a little bit bigger stuff. If any of you live/ride Oregon/WA and California, for reference in OR/WA I ride Syncline, Post Canyon, Sandy Ridge, Cold Creek, etc. and in CA Tamarancho, Anadel and trips to Downieville. If anyone has taken their Atlas to these trails, can you comment on the ride and your setup?

Last thing: I demoed a M Troy — I'm 5'10.75" with a 30" inseam. The M felt a tiny bit cramped, but I mean tiny. Could easily have been chalked up to new bike experience. Also I didn't tweak anything except saddle height. After a few more rides I'd probably feel fine with minor adjustments.

My experience has been that if a frame runs short or long, usually other models from the same manufacturer follow suit — basically a geo/design philosophy applied across the entire line. However, from the Troy threads and my own experience, it sounds like the Troys run short whereas here it sounds like a lot of you are saying the Atlas is either true or a little long.

If I went with the Troy, I was thinking large with a short stem. Started off thinking M with the Atlas, but not so sure. Of course I'd demo before I bought but just curious about your thoughts.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Yeah, I think the L in either would probably work best for me. Riding style-wise, therein lies the rub — I currently do mostly XC, more singletrack than fire roads. That's just what is available close by. However, I'm always game for harder, more "trail" trails. I've ridden them with my current XC rig, but sometimes it does feel outgunned.

So I guess I'm looking for a bike that won't be a dog on XC trails, but will be at home on steeper and more techy trails when I do them. I think the Troy and Atlas can each be that bike, but come at it from different sides. If I keep my hardtail, the Troy makes more sense. If I go for the "one bike," maybe the Atlas?

BTW while riding mostly XC, I'm no lightweight nor a weight weenie. I don't mind a relatively heavy bike (~28-30#)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I liked mine so much, I got another one....

twins...

Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_20140217_205855.jpg

My wife is also an avid cyclist and had been talking about moving to a 29er. She's 5'3", and I was pushing her to stick with 26" or maybe 27.5". After riding a friends small 29er, she was hooked.

I checked the geometry on the small Atlas and was surprised to see I could make it work. I had the fork and wheels already. The SLX drivetrain was a recent add to her prior Turner Flux, so I moved that over. 90mm stem gives the same overall cockpit length as the prior XS Flux with a 110mm stem.

Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_20140217_205935.jpg

Ignore the coke can shim on the seat post - I mistakenly ordered the wrong size. I also need to cut the steerer down some more. Relative Bar / Saddle height wouldn't work for me, but it's very close to what she had and liked on her prior bike. I'll leave it at is for now, and adjust with a different stem or reduced fork travel should it be something that needs adjusting.

After much cussing again on cable routing for the rear derailleur, I figured out I was doing it wrong. I thought the housing had to enter the chain stay near the bottom bracket, come out the back side near the tire though the little port hole, then re-enter where the chain stay 'squares' and opens back up. This made for a very tight turn that was an absolute beyatch to make with stiff housing. After much blood and cussing, in frustration, I released all the air from the shock to compress the suspension to get a better angle, then jammed the housing in as hard as I could - and was surprised to find out that you could make a direct run from the entry in the chain stay near the bb all the way to the end of the chain stay. Much, much easier routing when done right, though still a PIA compared to external. I'll post up photos later to explain what I'm talking about as I still have my bike done incorrectly.

Thanks again to Wes at velorangutan.com for another great deal. These are incredible bikes. I love mine more each time I ride it...

mtbr member
    I'm waiting for the picture of you two with matching outfits!

Quote Originally Posted by TechniKal View Post
    twins...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140217_205855.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	870612

My wife is also an avid cyclist and had been talking about moving to a 29er. She's 5'3", and I was pushing her to stick with 26" or maybe 27.5". After riding a friends small 29er, she was hooked.

I checked the geometry on the small Atlas and was surprised to see I could make it work. I had the fork and wheels already. The SLX drivetrain was a recent add to her prior Turner Flux, so I moved that over. 90mm stem gives the same overall cockpit length as the prior XS Flux with a 110mm stem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140217_205935.jpg 
Views:	904 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	870618

Ignore the coke can shim on the seat post - I mistakenly ordered the wrong size. I also need to cut the steerer down some more. Relative Bar / Saddle height wouldn't work for me, but it's very close to what she had and liked on her prior bike. I'll leave it at is for now, and adjust with a different stem or reduced fork travel should it be something that needs adjusting.

After much cussing again on cable routing for the rear derailleur, I figured out I was doing it wrong. I thought the housing had to enter the chain stay near the bottom bracket, come out the back side near the tire though the little port hole, then re-enter where the chain stay 'squares' and opens back up. This made for a very tight turn that was an absolute beyatch to make with stiff housing. After much blood and cussing, in frustration, I released all the air from the shock to compress the suspension to get a better angle, then jammed the housing in as hard as I could - and was surprised to find out that you could make a direct run from the entry in the chain stay near the bb all the way to the end of the chain stay. Much, much easier routing when done right, though still a PIA compared to external. I'll post up photos later to explain what I'm talking about as I still have my bike done incorrectly.

Thanks again to Wes at velorangutan.com for another great deal. These are incredible bikes. I love mine more each time I ride it...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Cable Routing

I'm probably the only idiot who would spend 45 minutes struggling to route the cable in the wrong way, but just in case anyone else out there is cussing -

here's the right way:

Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_20140219_213105.jpg

And here's the not right way:

Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_20140219_212657.jpg

I guess the little hole is a remnant of the drilling, or is there to allow you to guide the housing into the chainstay, or to provide room for the housing itself. It's definitely -not- there to pull the housing out like I did in the second shot....

Wes - send me some biking monkey jerseys and I'll send you matching kit photos!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Davis View Post
    Trails firmed up a bit and took her for a shake down run.
    <iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://goo.gl/mNkDb" vspale=0></iframe>

<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://goo.gl/D4ZyEq" vspale=0></iframe>

This was an eye opening ride for me. The bike felt very different from my Scott Scale. I guess it was in a good way as I had a big smile on my face for most of the ride. With that said I was surprised how different it felt. We have a very fast roller filled trail section at Waverly Park and the bike felt much more nimble here. The front wheel manuals up so much more easily its ridiculous. Also the way the rear wheel comes around on berms and hips is really fun.

My overall initial impression is the bike road a lot more like a 26er from a maneuverability standpoint. You can really steer more with your hips. I've been on 29ers for a long time so this will take some adjustment time I think. Bike felt very fast through the higher speed sections. Don't have enough time to speak to stiffness and overall ride manners but I will say I'm impressed with the Split Pivot ability to pedal very firm with extremely good small bump compliance.

A few other notes:

I raised the rear shock pressure from 150 to 170 and it felt really good and was getting full travel. The Reba was ultra smooth and was getting full travel. The cockpit feels a tad compact to me so may try a 100mm stem and change the Reba to 120mm.

Not enough time to make any conclusions but looking forward to getting to know the Devinici this Spring.

Attachment 779794
    beautiful ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    twins...

Relative Bar / Saddle height wouldn't work for me, but it's very close to what she had and liked on her prior bike. I'll leave it at is for now, and adjust with a different stem or reduced fork travel should it be something that needs adjusting.
    I never understand how you could actively load the front wheel with bars that high, but if it works for her, who am I to argue .

If you want to lower the front, check out the Syntace flat force stem. That would get her bars a lot lower, without having to reduce fork travel and change the way the bike behaves.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    yeah - I like bars slightly below the saddle for my riding as well. Her 26" bike had the bars about 25mm above the saddle. Current setup on the Atlas has then around 40mm above. The photo looks worse than reality as the bike is leaning towards the garage door.

I'm replacing the current stem, which is -6d, with one which is -17d. That should set the bar/saddle relative height almost exactly the same as her old bike. The flatforce is nice, and I'm a fan of syntace stems, but it would be too much drop. I'd end up having to run spacers underneath...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Hello everyone,

I was just about to pull the trigger on one of these and then talked to a friend who knew a guy who was selling his for having a "noodly" front end. I am assuming he was talking about front end flex. I have heard more than a few people say it runs into trouble on the rough stuff and blame the issues on steep head angle, flexy wheels or the previous 100mm stock fork. Could it be the frame itself? If so, then I might stay away and find another option.Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks for your help

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The front end is a beefy carbon triangle. It'd take real talent to build that noodly. I'd expect any complaints about stiffness to be on the other components of the build. I've never noticed any flex at all.

I noticed a marked increase in stiffness moving from my Evolve, but that's all in the rear of the bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've never noticed any flex at all.
    +1 and I run mine with a 140mm Pike on quite difficult terrain.

If the frame is structurally sound, there is no reason to doubt front end stiffness. I suspect it to be fork (100mm travel did not suit this bike very well I think) and wheels too. Possibly even a slightly loose headset ;-).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeroenK View Post
    Possibly even a slightly loose headset ;-).
    That would be my guess or check the spoke tension.

I've had a Dexter and currently an alloy Atlas and at 220 pounds, I have no complaints about stiffness or feel the need for a carbon frame upgrade. I can flex the rear end under hard efforts and cornering and have narrowed it down to the rocker arms. Nothing bad but I can feel it. I think the next logical progression for this frame are carbon rocker arms (and an upgrade to an angleset compatible head tube and threaded BB.) I run my flip chips in HI and would like to run a -1.5 headset to slacken the front end out. If only I could be a Devinci Product Manager for a day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomgerm View Post
    Hello everyone,

I was just about to pull the trigger on one of these and then talked to a friend who knew a guy who was selling his for having a "noodly" front end. I am assuming he was talking about front end flex. I have heard more than a few people say it runs into trouble on the rough stuff and blame the issues on steep head angle, flexy wheels or the previous 100mm stock fork. Could it be the frame itself? If so, then I might stay away and find another option.Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks for your help
    This bike is anything but flexy. I've ridden many many bikes over the years and this bike takes the cake. I would prefer a steeper headangle, but that is being nit picky. Good luck with your new bike purchase!
    Last edited by xl_cheese; 02-24-2014 at 09:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Turns out the guy who called it noodly rides downhill pretty aggressively and may be expecting too much out of a trail bike frame. I also don't know what fork he has. His wheels are I9s so that can't be it. I have looked through the reviews and the forum and have not noticed folks mentioning front end flex on the carbon or the aluminum for that matter. Maybe this will be the bike after all. Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Hi Guys and Gals,

Tried to support a local dealer by calling for a best price on a frame and didn't get much response. Maybe it was the fact that I'm looking at best pricing but I'm in between work right now. So anyone want to send me a PM on good deals that come up would be greatly appreciated or even I'd consider a used Atlas frame (Large) I'd be interested in picking it up if it's in good shape. Going from a '01 GF Sugar (going to sell and with some b-day money next month maybe I can build up a rideable/decent used parted rig that I can upgrade over the years (had fun tearing down and building up daughters 20" for Christmas)) with kids so on a very tight budget so please don't expect much from me. Just hoping some kind of year end pricing may come along and getting my name/interest out there before I end up with used Spec or Jet or xxx (not that they are bad bikes). Please don't flame me if I'm doing this wrong.

Thank you,

Smkntrls

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by thomgerm View Post
    I have looked through the reviews and the forum and have not noticed folks mentioning front end flex on the carbon or the aluminum for that matter.
    Also notice that it is not a weightweenie carbon full suspension. The carbon version is lighter than the alu one, but not by a whole lot and it's not light compared to other carbon FS frames. They designed it as a light trailbike, not as a superlight XC racing bike.

jk
    mtbr member
    Hey,

I am interested in this frame and have a Loop 29 fork...what do you run yours at? 120mm? I am more of an XC rider and like a bike that climbs well so I definitely would not go more than 120mm on this frame, personally. Thanks in advance!

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    I used to run a Loop at 140mm for trail/enduro riding/racing, but now run a 2-position Pike (150/120). I didn't feel like 140 was too tall for climbing, but at 120mm it feels great for XC endurance type riding... At 150mm this bike is a BEAST!
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vwvoodoo View Post
    I used to run a Loop at 140mm for trail/enduro riding/racing, but now run a 2-position Pike (150/120). I didn't feel like 140 was too tall for climbing, but at 120mm it feels great for XC endurance type riding... At 150mm this bike is a BEAST!

You mut have missed the fact or warning somewhere that the lower position is climbing only- not normal riding!
    You will damage the fork riding ni the lower position.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    I haven't seen (and as I'm looking, can't find) that warning - could you please link that for me? Thanks...
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I like 140 fork + "high" rear setting for all around riding, but definitely must drop the Revelation Dual Position to 120 for climbing. 120 everywhere should be fine as well and you can play with high vs low rear

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vwvoodoo View Post
    I haven't seen (and as I'm looking, can't find) that warning - could you please link that for me? Thanks...
    I called them. I just bought a Lenz Lunchbox with 5 and 6 inch rockers. When I talked to my dealer about my plans to run a dual position Pike, he warned me and said I should get the ok from RockShox before proceeding.

I called their tech line and the person confirmed, the lower position on the Dual Position Pikes are for CLIMBING ONLY and that I would damage the shock if I used the lower position for normal riding.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperBoy View Post
    I like 140 fork + "high" rear setting for all around riding, but definitely must drop the Revelation Dual Position to 120 for climbing. 120 everywhere should be fine as well and you can play with high vs low rear
    You should make sure you know what you're talking about before giving out advice. You can not run RS dual position shocks in the lower position for every day riding. It's for climbing only!
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    You should make sure you know what you're talking about before giving out advice. You can not run RS dual position shocks in the lower position for every day riding. It's for climbing only!
    This was in response to asking about recommended travel and that a single position 120 fork for general use would be fine - not about running a Revelation in 120 mode all the time. The 140/120 combo is about perfect - though there are raves about the DP pike as well but it costs mega $$ and only comes in white

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well, I got the upgrade itch over the winter... Started collecting parts, and by the time I was done, I'd replaced everything but the shock, fork, headset, and saddle.

XX1/X01 drivetrain w/Next SL cranks, SLX brakes, carbon rims on Hope hubs, 9point8 Pulse seatpost, Easton Haven Carbon bar, Raceface Turbine stem... All in all it is down about 3lb.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Devinci Atlas Carbon-1002684_487722187994522_8149050046669860719_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Devinci Atlas Carbon-image.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	934 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	882794Sweet Whip! I put the same drive train on mine this winter while recovering from a broken arm. My wife bought me a Pike 140 for x -mas from Ordinary Bicycle! I can't believe how much I love the Atlas Carbon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Nice! I'd have been tempted by the Pike too if it had been out when I originally bought mine, but at this point I've already spent too much on it, and the Rev works just fine. Looks like you need a chain!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It's got a chain now : ) no recent pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    What dropper post is that?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It's a 9point8 Pulse. Home - Nine Point Eight Inc.
    (Full disclosure - I work for 9point8)

mtbr member
    So, I guess everybody still likes their Atlas?... Doesn't seem like many are having problems, other than creaking... haven't read too many complaints in the thread, or breakage reports. Doesn't get much press elsewhere...

I've been saving my pennies for quite some time, and think the Atlas is still my top contender. I'm going to do my first ever, custom build.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've been loving mine. I did have a periodic creak, but so far I'm about 6 months creak-free after removing the shock and cleaning up the shock mounts. Been riding it through the winter, but now I'm stuck waiting for the snow to go and the ground to firm up.

Devinci Atlas Carbon-1555565_10152077303158893_1604831950_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Anyone interested in a Medium...

If someone can get me a large (6' 2" with 32 inseam so I believe that's the right size) for this price be it aluminum or carbon (preferably) with this build spec please PM me. Happy to put it together too ;-)

Devinci Atlas XP frame and parts kit For Sale

Price: $2399 CAD
    Restrictions: Firm, No Trades, Will ship within continent only

Medium Devinci Atlas XP
    [aluminum]

Condition: Brand NEW hasn't even been taken out of original bike box

Colour: Red and White
    Size: medium
    Travel: 110mm back and 120mm front
    Fork: Rockshox Reba RL Solo Air
    Drivetrain: Sram X7
    Brakes: Avid elixir 3

Handling is $40 (cleaned & boxed up properly)
    NO Pedals

Buyer pays actual shipping costs.
    Payment options- PAYPAL, Certified Check

mtbr member

Mine

Medium. A little under 26 pounds as pictured.

Thanks to Wes at Velorangutan for a great price.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Devinci Atlas Carbon-20140503_080921.jpg  

Devinci Atlas Carbon-20140503_081012.jpg  

mtbr member
    Here is my Atlas along side my Nomad. Atlas is fun bike for a 29er but not quite as fun as the Nomad. If I could only have one bike it would be the Nomad.

Its been fun switching back and forth between bikes/wheel sizes. Love the Atlas on the longish XC/trail rides and Nomad on the downhills and tight twisty/chunky trails.

Devinci Atlas Carbon-cam00855.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    So, I guess everybody still likes their Atlas?... Doesn't seem like many are having problems, other than creaking... haven't read too many complaints in the thread, or breakage reports. Doesn't get much press elsewhere...

I've been saving my pennies for quite some time, and think the Atlas is still my top contender. I'm going to do my first ever, custom build.
    I still like mine very much. Upgraded it with a 140mm Pike and 1x11. The occasional creak is a built in feature to tell me I should wash the bike ;-).

@jk, missed your inquiry about the 120mm Loop. Yes, I ran mine at 120 and I'd advise anyone to run at least 120 on this frame. It will be the calm down from 100mm it needs and still perfectly suited for XC/Marathon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I love mine. I've got back into racing and the bike works well for the normal XC courses we have here in Texas, but is still burly enough for more challenging riding that's available here. Mine creaked, but a switch to a needle bearing kit on the upper shock mount fixed that issue. I've got no complaints. If I had to replace it, I'd get another one just like it ( maybe with carbon wheels and the race face next SL cranks in place of the xx1's)...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hello,

have tested a Rocky Instinct 29 a few weeks ago and found it nice for trails but not much forward oriented to do a Marathon or XC Race. Does someone of you have experience with the Atlas Carbon in an XC Race? Would chose a 100 or 120 mm fork. I am riding a rigid steel frame at the moment so this is really forward oriented but if I go to a full suspension to save my back I would´t want to take a pure XC race full suspension bike. Something with more reserves without loosing to much speed would be my wish. I am doing some xc racing from time to time. Race tracks sind two years contains more jumps and drops so a rigid bike is not the best choice anymore.

Thank you for your help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I race on mine. Mid pack Cat 1 in Texas. I've built mine with a 120mm Reba and xx1. Weight is under 24 lbs and the suspension is plenty efficient for most racing situations without having to fiddle with lock outs. The bike is burly enough to deal with the rough, rocky trails off the race circuit, too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I race mine too. I'd advise to run a 120 mm fork. Any less and the bike gets way too nervous for my taste and you'll run into a lot more pedal strikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Many thanks. That is good to know. I will check what is possible. Probably I can show a nice Atlas in the future.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I did a search, sorry if I missed it. Can you run a 156mm q factor xx1 crank on the Atlas carbon frame? My knees are super sensitive to q factor.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I haven't tried it, but I was considering a used one, and I wasn't comfortable based on my measurements and the SRAM frame fit specs for the 156mm Q that it would clear the chainstays. Hopefully someone with one of the XX1 cranks can give you a firmer answer than that though!

I'm UTarded
    I have both a 2014 Fox TALAS 120 K and a 2014 Fox FLOAT 120 K that I can put on an Atlas. The TALAS has 44mm offset and the FLOAT has a 51mm offset.

What offset is everyone running on theirs? I don't know what offset Devinci suggests. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    44mm enjoy! I had a 120 SID and it was nice, now have a 140mm PIKE, even better

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by euro-trash View Post
    I did a search, sorry if I missed it. Can you run a 156mm q factor xx1 crank on the Atlas carbon frame? My knees are super sensitive to q factor.
    I'm running an X01 Carbon crank @ 168 Q-factor. I have the Raceface crank arm protectors installed and with those I'm actually showing signs of the crank arm rubbing (grazing) the chainstay protector under hard pedaling efforts - that's how close the clearance is even with 168Q!

I think 156 Q-factor fitment would be too tight based on my experience.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by euro-trash View Post
    As stated above, no way you can run a 156q factor on the carbon frame. I have the 2014 carbon and with a XX1 168q the non drive side is pretty damn close.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jduffett View Post
    I haven't tried it, but I was considering a used one, and I wasn't comfortable based on my measurements and the SRAM frame fit specs for the 156mm Q that it would clear the chainstays. Hopefully someone with one of the XX1 cranks can give you a firmer answer than that though!
    With XX1 168q cranks

Devinci Atlas Carbon-atlas-drive-side.jpgDevinci Atlas Carbon-atlas-non-drive-side.jpg

mtbr member
    Anyone feel an unusual amount of frame flex, or comment on the lateral stiffness of the carbon frame? I guess particularly in the stays or pivot area, throwing into hard corners.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    Anyone feel an unusual amount of frame flex, or comment on the lateral stiffness of the carbon frame? I guess particularly in the stays or pivot area, throwing into hard corners.
    The stiffness of this frame is what actually got my attention quickly the first time I rode it. I feel it tracks very well and does not have any noticable flex.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Sorry for hijacking the thread to ask about an Alloy Atlas, this thread appears to have the most up to date info. Anybody who has used the volume spacer on the 2012 Atlas FoxRp23 shock ? Did it fix the issue of using all travel in g-out situations ?

With a 140 mm fork, can you actually climb steeper terrain ? Or are you fighting front wheel wander. Does using a 140 fork make a difference in high or lo position ? Would appreciate any responses. (yes i did see a few people mention 140 forks... but nobody has clearly come out in favor or 140 mm)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by khadn View Post
    With a 140 mm fork, can you actually climb steeper terrain ? Or are you fighting front wheel wander. Does using a 140 fork make a difference in high or lo position ? Would appreciate any responses. (yes i did see a few people mention 140 forks... but nobody has clearly come out in favor or 140 mm)
    140 is perfect for rollers and downhill paired with "high" setting. It's quite difficult to keep the front wheel on the ground for steep hills though which is why the Talas or DP Revelation/Pike is a great combination. Some past bikes I've had w/ dual position feel like a huge drag in the low fork setting, but not the Atlas. A fixed 120 would be my next choice

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If anyone is interested I've got a DP 150/120 with like eleven rides / like new shape that I'm going to list for sale this weekend. PM if interested.

Enjoy your Atlas's!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Atlas XL

Hi Gents,

is somebody arround who is riding an Atlas in XL?

In case yes: Please post a photo!

Would like to know how it looks...

Thanks,

Florian

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Atlas carbon XL

Devinci Atlas Carbon-wp_20140525_002.jpgDevinci Atlas Carbon-wp_20140525_004.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Devinci Atlas carbon 2015

Here's a 2015 Atlas carbon, in size XL (yes, I have really long legs...). Complete build, with pedals and cage = 23.1lbs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Devinci Atlas Carbon-devinci-atlas-carbon-2015.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Is there a trick to 'flipping the chip' on the 2014 carbon? I can get the tire-side piece of the chip out easily, but how do you access the interior bit? Do you slip a tire lever in there and pry the necessary space or do you remove the swing-arm pivot? I figured on this one asking is better than applying pressure and experimenting. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    You'll have to remove the upper pivot and shock bolt. Once those are out, you can flip the 'chip' that sits hidden between the seat-stay and swing-arm. Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Seatpost length

Duplicate post.
    Last edited by Ken6503; 12-16-2014 at 08:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    All, I'm spec'ing out a large Atlas Carbon at the moment. Question about seatpost length, for those with around 32" legs, what length seatpost are you using? I ran a 367mm Thomson on my Santa Cruz, but the angle on the Devinci has me thinking 400? Just trying to aim for what I need.

Also, based on reading this thread, I'm starting with an 80mm stem. If I'm way out there, someone let me know. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm on a large. 33" inseam. I used a 400mm post because that's what I had. I ended up having to cut it down to about 350mm in order to get the seat height correct. The seat tube angle shouldn't impact required seat post length, but the "kink" in the seat tube will likely make you cut down a 400mm post.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm on a large. 33" inseam. I used a 400mm post because that's what I had. I ended up having to cut it down to about 350mm in order to get the seat height correct. The seat tube angle shouldn't impact required seat post length, but the "kink" in the seat tube will likely make you cut down a 400mm post.
    How much seatpost is exposed above the frame? I don't want to cut one down but it looks like the only other Elite I can get my hands on (from my son's bike) is a 367mm. Based on what you just said, I'm not sure it'd fit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have about 7" of exposed post.

Norđwegr
    Anyone know the size of the largest 1x chainring that can be used? (alu frame, but I assume it's the same on both)

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm 6'3" and trying to determine if a Large frame will work (32" inseam... long torso)... any thoughts from folks who considered both a L and XL frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandenoggin92 View Post
    I'm 6'3" and trying to determine if a Large frame will work (32" inseam... long torso)... any thoughts from folks who considered both a L and XL frame?
    The Devinci website shows you on the upper end of an XL. Definitely XL IMO.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    You definitely need an XL. I am 6' 1.5" (34 inseam) and have a large. Front end (reach) is kinda short for me with 90mm stem. I cant imagine a L would fit you. On another note...its a fricking fun bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilsern View Post
    Here's my build for now. I'm missing w35 wheels and syntace stem, and due to my short legs, I need a 100mm Reverb. In shown condition it's 12,8kg with pedals. Amazingly fun and quick bike!!! Attachment 795808Attachment 795807
    these pictures here are they with the 100mm reverb or is that the 125mm ?

Norđwegr
    After some spelunking I found the angles for the 2013 Carbon with 140mm fork, haven't been able to locate it on the site before as most of the geos were copy/pasted from the 100mm equipped bikes

DEVINCI

LO
    ST SA HA
    cm deg deg
    46.0 70.0 68.5
    49.0 70.0 68.5
    52.0 70.0 68.5

ST SA HA
    cm deg deg
    46.0 70.7 69.1
    49.0 70.7 69.1
    52.0 70.7 69.1

Now to figure out what the actual seattube angle is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    After some spelunking I found the angles for the 2013 Carbon with 140mm fork, haven't been able to locate it on the site before as most of the geos were copy/pasted from the 100mm equipped bikes

Now to figure out what the actual seattube angle is.
    If you mean the effective SA i bet it's the one you read in the table.
    It's quite slack with 120mm fork already, so even slacker with 140mm.

Norđwegr
    I meant effective, have a look at post #183, seems there's still some info that's up in the air. In any case I'll measure mine and post up the result once I get it all built up

---

Copied this off a local board, compares the Atlas geo to the Ripley which is the other bike I was looking at. Appears pretty close with 140mm forks which the geo is based on.

Small:
    Atlas Carbon w/140mm

Seattube: 460
    Seat angle: 70 / 70.7
    Head angle: 68.5 / 69.1
    Toptube: 597
    Chainstay: 428
    Wheelbase: 1088
    Bottombracket height: 345 / 352
    Headtube: 110
    Standover height: 752

Reach: 385 / 392
    Stack: 619 / 615

Medium:
    Ripley w/140mm:

Seattube: 432
    Seat angle: 71.5
    Head angle: 68.5
    Toptube: 589
    Chainstay: 445
    Wheelbase: 1111
    Bottombracket height: 337
    Headtube: 94
    Standover height: 750

Reach: 381
    Stack: 626

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    my altas build up:

Norđwegr
    That's really nice, makes me excited about building mine. Probably getting the frame in sometime next week

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos bananas View Post
    my altas build up:

now is that a 100mm drop KS lev or a 125? and do u have room to move the post down any further or is it at the kink in the seat tube already? Cant wait to start building my frame up once i get it )

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Unforgiving View Post
    now is that a 100mm drop KS lev or a 125? and do u have room to move the post down any further or is it at the kink in the seat tube already? Cant wait to start building my frame up once i get it )
    Its a 100mm. for my leg lenght it was not possible to place a 125.
    You have 20 cm from the top of the frame to the kink.
    My sadle is now at 73cm form centre bb and i can slide the seatpost 3cm more down into the frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Cool , I figured I would need a 100mm drop from what I read and my 32 leg )

Norđwegr
    Which size is the frame? I guess I need to figure out what dropper to get that'll fit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Which size is the frame? I guess I need to figure out what dropper to get that'll fit.
    Medium

Norđwegr

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    sweet !!! anymore ride reports out there? theres not much for current reviews on how this beast rides

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    For all you that are looking at Carlos' bike to find out which dropper post would fit, be aware of that that KS has a mechanism under the collar that prevents the post from going any further into the frame. A RockShox Reverb can be inserted up to the collar.

On Carlos' bike, he would easily be able to run a 125mm drop post with a Reverb.

Norđwegr
    Depending on the seatcollar it can slide over. I'm only interested in the KS personally , I don't like the cable on other droppers moving each time saddle height is altered.

The Vecnum Moveloc would be an option aswell, but it's out of stock and has been for months.

--

Can anyone recommend a seatcollar that covers all of the cutout on the seattube?
    Last edited by Vegard; 12-13-2014 at 07:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Got mine. First pic before the first trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Ohhh ride report , how was the maiden run?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Unforgiving View Post
    Ohhh ride report , how was the maiden run?
    Wonderful. Took a bit to dial the shock in. This thing can really turn. I've got some experimenting to do with climbing. The short rear end lends to bringing the front up on steep, technical climbs. I have to lean much more forward than I did on my Santa Cruz Blur, but the increased wheel size and overall light weight (25 lbs) really help make up for bad decisions by bouncing up and over bad lines.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Picked up this bad boy last week!

Devinci Atlas Carbon-image.jpg

Norđwegr
    Started building tonight:

Going to lower the Pike to 130 next time I do maintenance on it I think.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Does anyone kwows the actual frame weight (including rear shock) for a Atlas Carbon 2015 XL?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    my medium frame wheight was 2,65 kg with shock and maxle. without headset.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast