Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    I got my Atlas carbon RX about 10 days ago, built by vwvoodoo (Ordinary Bicycles) - Thanks Jason for the good job all the advice -

It is a stock kit on which I replaced the Elixir 7 breaks by Shimano XT's and the Easton aluminum bar with a Syntace Vector carbon bar.

I am 5'10" and between 185 and 195 Lbs (depending on the days), the medium frame fits great. The rear shock comes with about 150 Lb of pressure which I increased to 200 Lbs and it gives me 30% of sag and 100% of travel. On the front it came with 100 Lbs, it's just a little soft IMO, still experimenting.

Like other reviewers I'd say the bike is very fast and powerful. There are parts of my local trails that I could never climb remaining on the bike and I was able to with the Atlas.

What impresses me the most is how smooth this bike rides, especially the tail. You don't feel it working, it hugs the terrain and smooths it out. My local trails have tons of exposed roots which were painful to go over with my old hardtail bike, now I make a point of plowing through the roots because it's so fun with the Atlas.

The only "maybe" I have are with the stock tires. They work very well in most situations but handled poorly in very loose conditions (sand mixed with rocks), but I need to get more miles on them to get a better idea, especially DH as the blocks are fairly small.

Ride On
    I'm digging these Devinci bikes. Is it just me though or is their sizing a bit odd. They seem to like their seat tubes tall even on their 26er models. This may be a function of their rear suspension tech, I suppose. Amazingly the wheelbase of the Atlas is shorter than their 26er models.

Definitely in my top 3 full suss choices...
    Michael

Ride on!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I rode my Atlas Carbon RX in the 24 hrs of Summer Solstice this past weekend. I'd always ridden hard-tail before. Wow - loved the bike! So fast and rolls so well - kept coasting into riders ahead of me. Challenging myself in the race also forced me to figure out how to climb steep hills. Also crashed it a couple of times, so I guess I'm done being gentle with it.

Brilliant bike.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Had my second session this weekend on my RX as well.
    Same as you coming from a hardtail, the bike feels super smooth and fast. I also crashed because my cleats were too tight and did not unlock fast enough.

Riding 29in wheels still feels weird to me though compared to the 26 and I'm still not used to it, it does not feel as precise as the 26in wheels when it gets technical but maybe that just because I need to put more miles on the bike and get used to how to ride it efficiently.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    For all my fellow Atlas Carbon owners: Check your bolts every once in a while. I have had the ones in the lower shock mount and the main pivot bearing loosen enough to get some play.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JeroenK View Post
    For all my fellow Atlas Carbon owners: Check your bolts every once in a while. I have had the ones in the lower shock mount and the main pivot bearing loosen enough to get some play.
    Did you notice any noises associated with the loose pivot points, like creaking sounds, etc?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf View Post
    Did you notice any noises associated with the loose pivot points, like creaking sounds, etc?
    I have the exact same problem, big creak sound coming from the pivot on the non-drive side, basically has been like that since I got it. My LBS has emailed his Devinci rep to see if that is a common issue and if there is any fix, I will let you know what he responds with.

Pretty annoying creak as I get it on 75% of my strokes, other than that amazing bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    No, I only have creaking sounds when the bike is dirty. After a thorough cleanup it's silent again. There was a ton of grease on the pivot bearings when the frame was new. I cleaned all that up, cause it's a sure bet this will collect dirt and make noise. That might be a simple fix for you, Unkown. Disassemble the pivot bolts, clean everything and put it all together again. It just takes a few grains of sand to get an annoying creak.

My bike had no noise, but if you lift the backside up from the ground and put it down again, you'll notice play instantly, if one of the bolts has come loose.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Mine definitely likes to creak when it's even a little dirty. It seems to be mainly at the shock eyelets.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I am building up a Devinci Atlas carbon with XX1 and I9 wheel, so I will post pictures and give a review after things are dialed in with a few rides. I can't wait to throw a leg over this baby!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Update on my pivot creak: re-torqued each pivot and one of the pivots wasn't torqued correctly hence why it was creaking. Problem solved, no creaking, maybe its just down to re-torquing them for you guys as well.

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    I've known most of them to creak from the upper shock mount. With a little wipedown and a light grease, it went away.

I switched to a RWC Needle Bearing kit on mine and REALLY like it. It has so much less friction that I had to reduce my shock rebound by 2 clicks! Kit number NBKRWC4115.
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

JDZ
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Unkown View Post
    Update on my pivot creak: re-torqued each pivot and one of the pivots wasn't torqued correctly hence why it was creaking. Problem solved, no creaking, maybe its just down to re-torquing them for you guys as well.
    Could you share the torque values? I'm getting a small creak under heavy load. Not to bad now but I worry about it getting worse.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Devinci Atlas Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by vwvoodoo View Post
    I've known most of them to creak from the upper shock mount. With a little wipedown and a light grease, it went away.

I switched to a RWC Needle Bearing kit on mine and REALLY like it. It has so much less friction that I had to reduce my shock rebound by 2 clicks! Kit number NBKRWC4115.
    Perfect! Have thought of getting a rwc set to deal with the noise. Grease and clean only helps for some time. Thanks for sharing the partnumber

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

2013 Devinci Atlas Carbon Tech Document w/Torque Specs

A must-have reference doc for Atlas Carbon owners. Cheers!

Attachment 812266

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Attachment 812266

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JDZ View Post
    Could you share the torque values? I'm getting a small creak under heavy load. Not to bad now but I worry about it getting worse.
    I see someone else posted the online manual, that is what I used, hope you figure it out. Took mine on a great trail ride today and no creaks whatsoever even on the insanely rocky downhills. Love this bike!

mtbr member

3 month update

Thought I would check back in with a 3 month update. About the only knock I had left with the Atlas Carbon was too much over steer for my personal taste. I swapped out the 100mm spring/rebound for the 120mm and that cured it. I would have to say 120mm is money on the bike, still perfect for cross country or endurance but certainly comfortable enough for more and it tamed the steering.

Chip is still in low and I get very few pedal strikes at all.

Love this bike, very comfortable, stable, and most of all fun!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Maybe I can revive this thread, checking back after about 2 and 1/2 months use, and I am happy to say I LOVE this bike. At first (for me at least) going from a 26er to a 29er was very hard because it felt very hard to handle in the corners. I noticed my bars was much wider than on my old bike, so I got those cut down, and BAM, it feels like a different bike, at least the handling. Suspension, shifts, and its overall speed is great, on the road this bike is really fast as well. All round great bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Devince carbon atlas build

Kyle, got you question about the atlas carbon, and I decided to answer you here since I also wanted to thank everyone on this forum that helped me make up my mind.
    I love the bike!! With the RS 120 fork and the XX1, I'm kicking major A** on the trails. I also went I9 hubs laced to Pancenti rims, which are as strong as a brick! When I pick a line it goes there, on worries on flex, or anything for that matter. I am taking lines I wouldn't have dared before. Just when I think I have gotten in over my head, I am proved wrong (whew!). I get no pedal strikes, no creaking, no nutin'.
    Here are some pics to drool over!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Devinci Atlas Carbon-new-bike-frame-001.jpg  

Devinci Atlas Carbon-new-bike-frame-002.jpg  

Devinci Atlas Carbon-new-bike-frame-004.jpg  

Devinci Atlas Carbon-new-bike-frame-003.jpg  

Devinci Atlas Carbon-new-bike-frame-005.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Nice bike. Did you buy a frame and build it up or is it a stock bike with upgrades?
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    May 2006
    These are looking good guys.Seems the sp works real well with less moving parts versus the dw link.Does the sp have a similar rearward axle path?Wonder if they will be doing the atlas in a 120-150mm travel version to compete with some of the new longer travel rigs?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

atlas build

Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    Nice bike. Did you buy a frame and build it up or is it a stock bike with upgrades?
    Hey rushman, I got the frame alone and had the bike bike at Leroy's bikeworks in Lakeland (thanks Leroy)! The wheels too.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Over my last ride I sliced open my rear stock Racing Ralph tire (Atlas carbon RX), I must say this never happened to me before in about 25 years I'm mountain biking. These tires handled surprisingly well for the light duty / light weight they are but the side walls are no match for my rocky terrain.

I'm keeping the front tire but obviously have to replace the rear. I'm leaning towards the Maxxis Ardent 2.4 (with tube), any of you guys have experience with that tire on the Atlas?

What else do you like with this bike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Geotrouvetout67 View Post
    I'm keeping the front tire but obviously have to replace the rear. I'm leaning towards the Maxxis Ardent 2.4 (with tube), any of you guys have experience with that tire on the Atlas?
    Careful with that! The Ardent 2.4 is a good tire, but it's a very big tire, so you might run into clearance issues. My Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35" are about as big (60mm knob to knob on 20mm internal width rims) and they fit my Atlas, but only just. Clearance is that minimal that I only run them in the dry.

Maybe an Ardent 2.25" is a better idea. Once you replace the front tire, get yourself a Maxxis High Roller II. It's great!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I though this could be an issue indeed.
    I decided to try the Ikon 2.2 in 60TPI version, crossing my fingers

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Are the stock Ralphs the Snakeskin version?

Snakeskin adds a thicker, more durable sidewall (and perhaps 70g/tire). Unless I'm riding in a place without sharp rocks, I always run Snakeskins.

By the way, if this is the first time you've sliced a sidewall in 25y, consider yourself lucky!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    No they are the regular version, the snakeskin may have made it through the trail.

The Maxxis Ikon 60tpi were half the cost than RaRa Snakeskin so I won't be afraid to put them to the test.

I know, reading through forum threads about tires, lots of people are slicing sidewalls. I wonder it it has anything to do with the rear suspension as I was riding hard tail until I got the Atlas.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Geotrouvetout67 View Post
    I know, reading through forum threads about tires, lots of people are slicing sidewalls. I wonder it it has anything to do with the rear suspension as I was riding hard tail until I got the Atlas.
    Maybe your speed has come up, because of the more capable bike, but your bike handling is in need of a little more finesse.

Or you were just lucky you have not punctured earlier. You are riding some pretty minimal tread tires for rocky terrain.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Devinci Atlas Carbon

I also believe the 2.4 might be tight. I'm running the 2.25, but without EXO protection. Clearanse is good. They suck in rocky terrain, sidewalls are too weak. I've got a couple of patches innside, and have a few holes that the sealant has fixed. But grip and alround qualities are very good, so would buy them again, but with the EXO sidewalls.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

What else do you like with this bike?

I have been running the Specialized Ground Control 2.3 for past few months and really like the tire. Seems like a good compromise of weight, speed, grip and price. It is somewhere between the Ralph and Nic in terms of performance....two tires I have been using for last few years and like very much.

mtbr member
    so jealous. emjoy!!

mtbr member

Effective Seat Angle

One of the biggest reservations I had about buying an Atlas was the slack seat tube angle. I have never ridden a bike that was a good peddler with a 71 degree SA. I saw this chart on one of the online retailers that sale Devinci.

Devinci Atlas Carbon-atlas-carbon-2013-geo-specs.png

From the chart I looks like they are measuring the actual SA instead of the effective SA. I have a 2013 Med alloy Atlas with a 120mm Tower Pro. Using a 4 foot bubble level and a real analog angle finder, I made sure the floor was level then ran it from the middle of the BB spindle to the middle of the seat post head and got 74 deg with the flip chips on hi. I am getting 71 deg as the actual SA.

Looks like the geo charts aren't wrong, they just don't include all the "stuff you need to know" info.

Mine has been a great peddler once I got the psi right and that is what always confused me about this bike. I just thought it was the short chainstays.

Now, if I can only get rid of that creak.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    How's the pedal feedback on this bike? Is it neutral, or do you get kickback? If you're getting kickback, is it more prevalent in certain chainrings?

Somewhat related, how much chain growth exists as it cycles through the suspension? I'm looking to move my XX1 kit over, and on my current horst link bike, I don't get the dreaded 'knock' with SRAM's type 2 derailluers. I'm curious as to if that's something I'd have to deal with on the Atlas...

Thanks for posting the info!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip D View Post
    Looks like the geo charts aren't wrong, they just don't include all the "stuff you need to know" info.
    That's good information! I allways thought the Devinci measurement was the angle from the BB centre to where the horizontal TT meets the seat tube. Just an assumption...

The 'actual' SA that you are getting, is that the angle of the seat tube itself? What you are actually pointing out is that with offset seat tubes, it's very hard for a manufacturer to provide a useful SA number. The angle of the direct line from the seat post head to the BB centre is highly dependant on the height of the seat.

So... if you got lots of seatpost showing, the SA to the seatpost clamp will get pretty slack. Not a lot of seatpost: Pretty steep. Somebody please provide an online calculator for this?

As for the creak: Have you read this entire topic? Chances are your linkage bearings need cleaning and tightening.

mtbr member
    Exactly, I don't know why I didn't think about this before. I guess it would be pretty hard for a company to give anything but a ball park figure without knowing each riders specific measurements.

For reference, here is my bike.(the only garage door I have is on my greenhouse and yes, I have been too lazy to cut the steerer tube all summer)

Devinci Atlas Carbon-100_0096.jpg

772mm from the center of the crank spindle to the top of the seat between the seat post clamps.
    284mm from the seat post clamp to center of seat.

I have had a creak since day one. Pulled the seat post, retorqued everything, changed components, greased, and lubed but still it's there. First creak I haven't been able to solve but the ride is so good that I am willing to live with the squirrel in the frame.

Even with the creak, I am thinking about getting a second one but I wish Devinci would change some things. An integrated headset has no place on a mountain bike these days unless you are building a 4 lb World Cup XC frame. If Devinci is going to hang a 71 degree head angle on a bike, at least give us the ability to slacken it out via an angleset. I disliked integrated headsets on my road bike ten years ago and I dislike it 4x more now on my mtn bike.

Press fit BB. What's wrong with the good ol' threaded BB? They do not use the entire length of the BB shell on the alloy model so in theory they could use a threaded BB on it. I use mine every day and am on my 2nd BB this summer. $45 a pop now in stead of $15 to throw in some new Enduro bearings. The PF BB goes in the trash where my local recycler will take my old bearings. The whole PF BB seams like a way for manufacturers to save a dollar and pass the costs to it's consumers.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Devinci Atlas Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by TechniKal View Post
    How's the pedal feedback on this bike? Is it neutral, or do you get kickback? If you're getting kickback, is it more prevalent in certain chainrings?

Somewhat related, how much chain growth exists as it cycles through the suspension? I'm looking to move my XX1 kit over, and on my current horst link bike, I don't get the dreaded 'knock' with SRAM's type 2 derailluers. I'm curious as to if that's something I'd have to deal with on the Atlas...

Thanks for posting the info!
    I do get some feedbackmin my 22 grannyring. But I prefer the 36 on most of my riding, in it works perfect there. I would guess going as low as 30th on the XX1, wouldn't cause any notacible feedback.

You will need to take into account the chain growth due to the high pivot location on the chainstays. I' m not sure, but I guess it has some more than the Fsr/horst link.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Devinci Atlas Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by Flip D View Post
    Exactly, I don't know why I didn't think about this before. I guess it would be pretty hard for a company to give anything but a ball park figure without knowing each riders specific measurements.

For reference, here is my bike.(the only garage door I have is on my greenhouse and yes, I have been too lazy to cut the steerer tube all summer)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0096.jpg 
Views:	799 
Size:	177.1 KB 
ID:	826313

I have had a creak since day one. Pulled the seat post, retorqued everything, changed components, greased, and lubed but still it's there. First creak I haven't been able to solve but the ride is so good that I am willing to live with the squirrel in the frame.

Even with the creak, I am thinking about getting a second one but I wish Devinci would change some things. An integrated headset has no place on a mountain bike these days unless you are building a 4 lb World Cup XC frame. If Devinci is going to hang a 71 degree head angle on a bike, at least give us the ability to slacken it out via an angleset. I disliked integrated headsets on my road bike ten years ago and I dislike it 4x more now on my mtn bike.

My bike had the same noise. It's a case with the Dixon as well. The rocker-arm connected to the shock is where you most likely find the issue. Untighten the bolt, clean everything and put back together. I chose to put on some grease as well. This solved the issue for both me and a friend. I need to do this once and a while, and especially if I've had a few wet/muddy days. I'm considering changing to a RWC bearing hardware to permanently solve it and smoothen up the suspension even more. http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id275.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My Atlas Carbon is the most fun bike I've ever ridden. I bought my frame and all the bits to build it from Ordinary Bicycle Repair. I'm 5' 7.5" I'm riding the small frame 23 effective top tube. 70mm stem 740mm bars. 120mm fork is perfect for technical xc riding. I ride this frame with 32% sag and never use Propedal on the shock and I never feel any pedal bob. I'm sold on Split Pivot. The front end lofts so easy I've gained a whole new bag of skills due the bike. I can pull up the front wheel into a manual and then bunny hop logs. I can pedal drop without fear. These are things I could never do on other 29ers. The bike simply makes me a Much more skilled rider. A guy on a tallboy carbon was following me on a ride the other day and asked if learned on a 26er. I responded "no, it's the short chain stays on this bike that makes it so playful and allows me to ride in a way that I'm hitting all the technical lines on the trails. Btw, low setting geo with my 120 fork. I tried the high setting, didn't like it. Short rear end and steeper head angle took away from stability.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My frame creaked when I first assembled it. Turned out to be the top shock mount. I greased the shaft and that fixed it. It's never made a noise again, I've been riding it 5 months.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Attachment 812266
    I am unable to bring up this attachment. Can you re-post it or PM it?

Thanks

Barry

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by barryadam View Post
    I am unable to bring up this attachment. Can you re-post it or PM it?

Thanks

Barry

Here ya go!
    Attachment 8306582013 Atlas Carbon Technical Manual.pdf

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hello,

I am thinking about an Atlas Carbon for using as the one and only bike for every time of the year. So this will continue rides in the snow, dust and mud including some XC and Marathon racing. I have great experience with Chris King Bottom Brackets and Headsets. Can anyone of you tell me which type of Inset Headset from Chris King would be the correct one. Would probably order it directly with the frame.

Thanks for letting me know.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Devinci Atlas Carbon

Chris King doesn't make integrated headsets(correct me if I'm wrong). If you buy the frame, it will invlude a Cane creek 40 headset. You wanna go higher quality, a CC 110 would probably be your best bet.

For tapered fork, this is headset type you need:
    Upper IS42/28.6
    Lower IS52/40

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hello Nilsern,

thank you for your information. That is good to know. Your correct there is no CK headset with this information. I could´t find the 110 upper part but the lower is available. Will start with the 40 and see how long it will work when the bike is probably there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hey guys, I am considering the atlas carbon. How is the bike for climbing? I know the bike will be plenty of fun on the downhill but where I am from requires a lot of climbing to get to the fun stuff. I will be using xx1 with a 32-34t ring

mtbr member
    May 2006

Devinci Atlas Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by atekt View Post
    Hey guys, I am considering the atlas carbon. How is the bike for climbing? I know the bike will be plenty of fun on the downhill but where I am from requires a lot of climbing to get to the fun stuff. I will be using xx1 with a 32-34t ring
    It's a do it all bike. I live in an area where there are almost only ups and downs. "What goes up must come down." And sometimes it's really steep as well. I'm using at Talas 34 fork, and it is perfect for my kind of riding. The geo in low setting(fork)is great for climbing and alround trail-riding. Makea it fun and versitale. Ones I'm on the top, I usually have long decentes. By flicking the fork to full travel (140mm) I suddenly have gone from a quick xc/trailbike to a decent Enduro-machine. I don't do big drops, but for me it's stable and playful(short cs), makes you wanna jump all small rocks and roots you see. Have fun

My recomendation, if you want the best of both, go with a traveladjustable fork. If not, go 120mm the best alround length for this bike.

This is my first 29'er, but I love it. Have demoed a couple of other brands in the 120mm category, but the Atlas was the most fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I ride a 120mm fork on mine and it climbs VERY well, especially standing. With a 32 or 34t front ring, you would be standing on the steep climbs, so this bike is perfect for your needs. I live in NW Arkansas, no major down hills, but tons of steep ups and downs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Sorry about the thread jack, but the attachments still elude me and the admin is not able to help.

Can someone that is able to access the Atlas Carbon Tech Manual attachment , pleases email to: nbadam at cox dot net.

Thanks

Barry

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The sizing of this bike is driving me crazy - or better stated - the lack of the bike available to demo for fit is...

I'm between 5'10" and 5'11". Relatively long arms. I'm currently on a bike with a 24" ETT, running a Thomson setback post with the seat pushed back a far bit, 110mm stem and flat bars. The bike is an older Ellsworth Evolve, with 'standard' seat tube angle of 73d. I'm pretty comfortable with the fit.

I looks like with the more relaxed seat tube angle on the Atlas, I'd need to run a straight post to keep my position over the bottom bracket consistent. My current Thomson post has 16mm of offset.

I want an XC-oriented bike. I plan to run a 120mm fork. I split time between Austin TX, with rocky, technical trails with short, steep elevation changes, and the SLC area of Utah - with smoother extended climbing and descents.

The 25" ETT of the large scares me. Everything I know about bike sizing says 'too big'. The Medium with the 24" tt seems just right - but if my math is right, I'd need to dig out my old 130mm KORE stem from 1999 in order to keep a similar reach to what I have today on the Evolve. A 90 or 100mm stem seems much more reasonable, but then I fret about keeping the front end planted when climbing, which will be exacerbated by the short chainstays.

It's a shame they don't offer a rental or demo program. I'd be more than happy to pay shipping to try the sizes out. Given that they don't - what is the feedback from you guys on which size I should go with?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast