Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by confused View Post
    Can anyone compare to a Tallboy, and wheres a good place to buy a frame?
    Fanatik Bike is awesome. Jadyn will hook you up!

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    My 2.35 Nobby Nic (the biggest I've seen) on AM ENVE rims rubbed the side of the seatstays under hard load - I never had it touch the seat tube under bottom out. A 2.35 Hans Dampf fits easily. No need to worry about tire clearance unless you're looking at REALLY big 29 tires, which aren't really the type of tire this bike is built for anyway.
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    To be honest - A LOT of carbon frames have that appearance when they don't have a cosmetic weave layer on top of the structural carbon. I wouldn't worry a bit about it.

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    I spent a season riding a 100mm Tallboy, even doing my first 24hr solo on it. It was a great bike and felt really meaty for it's weight.
    That said, I'm having WAY more fun on my Atlas Carbon. The shorter stays and more direct drivetrain give very little pedal feedback and the braking control is better. The rear end feels tighter with the Split pivot compared to the multi-link, though my Tallboy was pre-142, so it may be better now.
    I do prefer the pressed headset of the Tallboy vs drop-in of the Atlas, though the drop-in is lighter.
    As far as where to buy - I can sell you one, or check the network of dealers. I know Colorado Cyclist has picked them up, but I can match their frame price. Most sizes are readily available now, so there isn't much of a wait (though it takes a while for them to ship out of Canada).
    If you're near Boulder, CO, you can ride my medium or my wife's alloy small...

11 is one louder than 10
    Peformance is carrying these complete and have double points (20% back) this weekend.

I was going to buy one a couple months back, then they pulled them and said they wouldn't be carrying them. So, i bought my pivot Mach 429 carbon (which so far I really dig), but the geometry on the Devinci is very appealing. Wouldn't be shocked if next year they have a full carbon model either.

Would love to ride of of these to see how it rides. Dig the geometry specs.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    May 2006

Devinci Atlas Carbon

Just a teaser while I wait for my wheels. Devinci Atlas Carbon-imageuploadedbytapatalk1366038694.033989.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilsern View Post
    Just a teaser while I wait for my wheels. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366038694.033989.jpg 
Views:	596 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	790810
    Looks great Nilsern... mine will be very similar. Have the 34 Talas on my Sultan now, but once I ride it for a while and get a feel for the bike, I will prolly put a 120mm fixed length fork, so I can get a better performance. I dont like the talas at all on my Sultan in the 110mm position... even on super steep and long climbs. Wish I would have know before buying. My close friend says the same thing about his talas on the RIP9

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just picked mine up this evening... Complete RX build.
    Not sure why they spec'd a 420x125 Reverb on a size small frame with an interrupted seat tube! Post is at max insertion as shown, and is set maybe a 1/2" lower than normal riding height...

Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_2064.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I spent some time on a Large frame size demo yesterday. I am 5'10 with a long torso and short legs (30" inseam). The large was definitely too long for me. The bike was set up with a 70 mm Chromag ranger stem, and the saddle was all the way forward. On climbs I was having to lean really far forward to keep the front end down, sometimes resulting in rear tire spinouts. The bike absolutely slayed the descents. I'm going to pull the trigger on a medium here pretty quick.

My riding buddy was demoing an aluminum version at the same time, but his was set up with a Fox 34 (140 mm) and that fork was so much plusher than the revelation that was on the carbon demo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jduffett View Post
    Not sure why they spec'd a 420x125 Reverb on a size small frame with an interrupted seat tube!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2064.jpg 
Views:	970 
Size:	327.6 KB 
ID:	793244
    Have your shop switch it over. I mean, come on, that's a not properly working bike delivered to the customer.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug67 View Post
    Looks great Nilsern... mine will be very similar. Have the 34 Talas on my Sultan now, but once I ride it for a while and get a feel for the bike, I will prolly put a 120mm fixed length fork, so I can get a better performance. I dont like the talas at all on my Sultan in the 110mm position... even on super steep and long climbs. Wish I would have know before buying. My close friend says the same thing about his talas on the RIP9
    The 120 fork will get you a well balanced bike.

The 140/110, should be good for the Atlas though. As Fox 34 in 110 mode is pretty close to a fox 32 120mm when it comes to A2C. I wanted the 140 for all burlier riding I want to do.

Got my 1st set of wheels today, EA70 XCt, I got a GREAT deal, so I'm setting them up with Schwalbe RR for light trailriding and boring workouts

Still waiting for my AM wheels though. I can now tell that it is a set of Syntace W35, and are gonna use Maxxis Ardents in 2.25. Bet it's gonna be a Kickass bike !

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The 120 fork will get you a well balanced bike.

The 140/110, should be good for the Atlas though. As Fox 34 in 110 mode is pretty close to a fox 32 120mm when it comes to A2C. I wanted the 140 for all burlier riding I want to do.

Got my 1st set of wheels today, EA70 XCt, I got a GREAT deal, so I'm setting them up with Schwalbe RR for light trailriding and boring workouts

Still waiting for my AM wheels though. I can now tell that it is a set of Syntace W35, and are gonna use Maxxis Ardents in 2.25. Bet it's gonna be a Kickass bike !
    been reading about the Syntace wheels for almost a year now, but have not been able to find them anywhere... Have you found a source or place to purchase them? any good deals on them out there?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Got my frame in! Looks really good. It'll get the parts of my old bike, a WB Loop 120mm fork, RS Reverb, a smattering of XTR, Easton Haven bars and wheels built with AM Classic 101 rims (love those!), a Notubes front hub and a Powertap rear hub.

Now waiting for the 135 QR dropout/QR kit to reach this side of the ocean to finish it.

Could anyone of you who are allready happily riding theirs give me some hints on the rear derailer cable routing?

It seems to have to be a full length outer cable all the way, is that correct? There is a cable mount on the swingarm, just below of the main pivot. If I would attach the outer cable to that mount it'll have to make a real tight bend to the hole in the chainstay. Is that what it's supposed to do? Pics of the BB area behind the crankset are welcome.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Devinci Atlas Carbon

Just built mine, and yes, you need a full-length cable. You need to make the bend, but I did not feel that it redused shifting performance.

Build-tip: finsh cabeling for the rearshifter befor mounting the cranckset.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just built mine, and yes, you need a full-length cable. You need to make the bend, but I did not feel that it redused shifting performance.

Build-tip: finsh cabeling for the rearshifter befor mounting the cranckset.
    Thanks. Yeah, I figured that last one out ;-).

And I thought I might just as well do the front mech mod while it's not on the bike yet .
    Last edited by JeroenK; 04-28-2013 at 12:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JeroenK View Post
    Have your shop switch it over. I mean, come on, that's a not properly working bike delivered to the customer.
    I would... But I'll probably end up ebaying the Reverb anyway, and I suspect the 420x125 is more popular than the 355x100.

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    Check the specs on the alloy vs carbon - they aren't the same size. Also check your fork settings - the 2013 Revelation should be at least as plush as a 34...

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    The full-run housing works great and with nice smooth bends. That said, it is a LOT easier to get it through the chainstay before you have a BB and crank installed. I have a pic here on a customer's XX1 crank, but even on my XTR triple there is plenty of room and the cable bend is smooth.Devinci Atlas Carbon-2013-04-28-19.04.32.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vwvoodoo View Post
    The full-run housing works great and with nice smooth bends.
    Thanks, so I see. I could not imagine a smooth bend from the cable guide to the chainstay, but apparently, the cable is allowed to continue to bend in the chainstay.

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JeroenK View Post
    @vwvoodoo, what front mech are you using? Do you have enough clearance between the front mech cage and the tire when on the little ring?
    XT Direct High Mount Triple. It's a dual pull, so I removed the bottom pull segment. There are no clearance issues between cage and tire. It did hit the bottom pull cable guide...that's why I removed it (with a hack saw and file)

mtbr member
    May 2006

Devinci Atlas Carbon

Here's my build for now. I'm missing w35 wheels and syntace stem, and due to my short legs, I need a 100mm Reverb. In shown condition it's 12,8kg with pedals. Amazingly fun and quick bike!!! Devinci Atlas Carbon-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367593073.321506.jpgDevinci Atlas Carbon-imageuploadedbytapatalk1367592975.724287.jpg

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    That is a nice looking build! I like the red TRS cranks - they match the red highlights of the frame...

mtbr member
    May 2006

Devinci Atlas Carbon

Thanks vwvoodoo! I really like the looks of the E13 cranks too. Pluss it's stiff and light

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Bike ready! Hidden Atlas Carbon - Giant Anthem X 29er comparison

Got my 135 QR dropouts, finished the bike and did my first ride.

What a great bike! My former frame is a Giant Anthem X 29er. Both frames are size large and I have simply switched my 120mm WB Loop to the Atlas.

On paper, the difference is not that great and the reality is: The Anthem is really hard to beat as a do-it-all bike. It's as light as aluminium 29er FS frames get, plush, efficient, agile and a great climber. The Atlas has 10mm more rear travel and is marginally lighter. What I was after was an improvement of ride quality, a bike better suited to the kind of riding I do and I simply liked the appearance of the Atlas. Offcourse the lifetime warranty is nice too and that it's a bit more future proof by being 142 rear axle ready.

It turns out the ride is great and that's with a minimum of suspension setup effort. I just put the damper on close to 30% sag and rebound 2 clicks from completely open. It handles noticably better than the Anthem in a lot of ways. It has a tighter turning circle and is easier to throw into corners and change direction mid-corner, which was what I was looking for.

Both the Anthem and the Atlas seem to have 'bottomless' rear travel, but the small bump compliancy of the Atlas sets it apart. The rear suspension movement under pedaling of the Atlas seems to be equal or even less than the Anthem's, which was not what I expected, as short link 'vpp' bikes tend to be really good at that. The biggest difference was how much easier the front of the Atlas can be lifted. It just wants to manual and bunny hop. Not that surprising with chainstays more than 1 inch shorter, but it amazed me how much difference that inch makes (insert 'that's what she said' pun here ).

With a 120mm fork, it feels really balanced. Low BB, but not that low that I get pedal strikes (chip is in the 'lo' position). I have not done any seated steep techy climbing yet, which in theory could be a tiny bit harder with the short chainstays.

Then there is a bunch of stuff that I really liked about the Atlas when assembling it. Devinci delivers a complete package, with headset, seatpost clamp, shock pump (Devinci branded, which is a nice touch) and frame protection for the chainstay and the downtube. Sure, a complete package is what can be expected with this price tag, but a headset and frame specific protection is not that ordinary.

The cable routing is very well thought out and the finish seems high quality all over. Little things like the headset cup tolerances are on the mark. Not allways the case with drop-in headsets... It's after I assembled the bike that I realized that not one bit of improvisation was needed. Apparently I got used to bike frames less well designed.

I have one crappy Phone pic that I will not bother you guys with ;-). Better ones on the way after I made my way to the south of France to do justice to the bike by riding it on proper trails.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast