Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Have you tried deflating the shock and cycling the suspension through full compression?

Anyone else have feedback on tire clearance? Inability to run a generous 2.25 is a deal breaker for me
    Great suggestion, tried it last night....bingo! That was the culprit. I added a Volume Reducer to the shock to see if this might help me from blowing through the travel and getting this rub. Will shake it out this weekend.

Regardless, dont think a 2.35 will fit, but tires I referenced above (nobby nic 2.25/ground control 2.3) do have sufficient chainstay clearance

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ YetiMan View Post
    Regardless, dont think a 2.35 will fit, but tires I referenced above (nobby nic 2.25/ground control 2.3) do have sufficient chainstay clearance
    Hmmmmm.... I'm not sure if that makes me feel better or worse. A nobby nic 2.25 or Purg 2.3 is all I'm looking to run, but if it's line-to-line with the seat post then that's a "doesn't fit" in my book.

Thanks for taking the time to check. I greatly appreciate it. Hope your air can mod works for ya.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    @NJ YetiMan, can you report on which frame rocker setting (hi/lo) the rubbing occured at? Seems the "hi" position pushes the rear axle away from the seat tube a bit.

I guess this all will not be a real issue for me, as I'd rather pressure my shock to not bottom out in the first place, but it would be nice to know this risk exists at hi or lo setting or both.

@car_nut, like he said, please note his is the alu version. No way of telling (yet) they have kept clearance the same on the carbon version.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm actually just squatting in this thread. The alloy version is the one I was actually interested in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Atlas Carbon Frame Blemishes

Below are examples of some of the blemishes that are prevalent on my Atlas frame. Does anyone else have similar flaws on their frames?

Devinci Atlas Carbon-image.jpgDevinci Atlas Carbon-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My Gary Fisher Superfly has stuff like that showing through the clear coat all over the place. It's a carbon layup... not cosmetically uniform in all places and it does not have to be. As long as there are no cracks or air pockets, I'd say you are fine structurally.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JeroenK View Post
    @NJ YetiMan, can you report on which frame rocker setting (hi/lo) the rubbing occured at? Seems the "hi" position pushes the rear axle away from the seat tube a bit.

I guess this all will not be a real issue for me, as I'd rather pressure my shock to not bottom out in the first place, but it would be nice to know this risk exists at hi or lo setting or both.

@car_nut, like he said, please note his is the alu version. No way of telling (yet) they have kept clearance the same on the carbon version.
    I have only ridden it in the lo mode. I like a lower BB...but sounds like I should try the hi to maybe eliminate this issue. I must say that I have never felt the shock "bottom out". The only way I know I am going all the way through the travel is that the "sag ring" on the shock is pushed to the bottom. When I played with the pressure to eliminate that entirely, the shock was too firm and lost its small bump compliance. To be clear...when adjusting the rear shock at no time did the fact that it could be the culprit (of the tire rub) come into my mind. Hoping the Volume reducer helps on both fronts. Keeping the shock pressure in the initial stroke soft and ramping up at the end to eliminate the rub. I will also try the Hi setting at some point this weekend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have only ridden it in the lo mode. I like a lower BB...but sounds like I should try the hi to maybe eliminate this issue. I must say that I have never felt the shock "bottom out". The only way I know I am going all the way through the travel is that the "sag ring" on the shock is pushed to the bottom. When I played with the pressure to eliminate that entirely, the shock was too firm and lost its small bump compliance. To be clear...when adjusting the rear shock at no time did the fact that it could be the culprit (of the tire rub) come into my mind. Hoping the Volume reducer helps on both fronts. Keeping the shock pressure in the initial stroke soft and ramping up at the end to eliminate the rub. I will also try the Hi setting at some point this weekend.
    The volume reducer did help...but did not totally eliminate the rub. I actually liked the progressive ramp of the shock with the spacer...it feels snappy and almost shoots you out of a corner. So thats a keeper IMO. Did not try the switch to "hi mode", as I really dont want to raise the BB at all.

I bought this frame from Speedgaot, who is now out of business, so I called Devinci direct this morning for some insight. They indicated that with the complete bikes they sell, they actually cut off the little tab on the derailuer that is rubbing (see pics). Before I start cutting...does anyone have any experience/insight on this? It seems straight forward, but I am hesitant to start hacking. Devinci Atlas Carbon-atlas-v5.jpgDevinci Atlas Carbon-atlas-9.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    They indicated that with the complete bikes they sell, they actually cut off the little tab on the derailuer that is rubbing (see pics). Before I start cutting...does anyone have any experience/insight on this? It seems straight forward, but I am hesitant to start hacking.
    Are you running 2 or 3 front rings? The 2 ring specific Shimano FDs have more clearance w/a shorter arm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by syadasti View Post
    Are you running 2 or 3 front rings? The 2 ring specific Shimano FDs have more clearance w/a shorter arm.
    I am running 2x....and I think the FD is 2x specific. It is the 785 series.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I am running 2x....and I think the FD is 2x specific. It is the 785 series.
    Its probably this modification:

http://www.turnerbikes.com/turner-pd...h_frdermod.pdf

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah, go for it. Canfield recommends the same treatment for my Yelli frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    That looks like it.....thanks. Have you done this yourself?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    That looks like it.....thanks. Have you done this yourself?
    Yes, my 5spot 2x SLX FD is modified.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yeah, go for it. Canfield recommends the same treatment for my Yelli frame.
    With this mod, I am sure the 2.25 tire requirement you had will be fine. I must tell you...this bike is an absolute blast. Of all the FS I have owned/ridden (patron, el rey, rip9, tallboy, epic), this is far and away the best fit for my riding terrain/style. I just wish I figured this derailuer issue out sooner.

Thanks to Car_nut and Sydasti for the assist!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yes, my 5spot 2x SLX FD is modified.
    Breakin' out the hacksaw! Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Breakin' out the hacksaw! Thanks
    No problem in a month or two I hope to have at Atlas Carbon for Hartshorne (and elsewhere) too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    No problem in a month or two I hope to have at Atlas Carbon for Hartshorne (and elsewhere) too.
    Good eye! While the bike is definately overkill for hartshorne (I generally ride my SS there), the Atlas is the only FS bike I have had that is fun to ride there. I find myself looking for stuff to ride over/jump off. But I will tell you this bike is perfect for up north (Ringwood, Ramapo, Blue etc.). The short wheelbase really makes those slow, tight, techy sections more manageable. While I have not tried a 100 or 140 fork (the 2 stock options for the bike), I cant imagine either one being as good all around as the 120.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thats awesome. Hope to see you in the woods. I have yet to see anothyer Devinci on the trails. Great bikes...loust marketing

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thats awesome. Hope to see you in the woods. I have yet to see anothyer Devinci on the trails. Great bikes...loust marketing
    They are still building their dealer network in the US. I took an interest in them about ten years ago or so and saw their booth at Interbike 2002.

You could always hit the drop right next to the water tower near the upper lot but I don't think its the right bike for that. Geometry reminds me of my 08 SCB BLT2.

My favorite trails are in the Carbondale/Scranton area (Fell, Prompton, Moosic). Blue Mountain in Peekskill is pretty good as are the various trails in N NJ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    With this mod, I am sure the 2.25 tire requirement you had will be fine. I must tell you...this bike is an absolute blast.
    No doubt. It had everything I wanted on paper, but I decided it was too risky for me. I had some concerns about sizing along with tire clearance and finding a place to actually buy one. I went with my second choice and ordered a Satori frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    No doubt. It had everything I wanted on paper, but I decided it was too risky for me. I had some concerns about sizing along with tire clearance and finding a place to actually buy one. I went with my second choice and ordered a Satori frame.
    Nice! Good luck with your build.

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug67 View Post
    I am currently riding a Turner Sultan and love it, but it is a very heavy frame and extra long chainstays... Wondering if anyone out there has ridden the Atlas and also the Sultan? I have been demo-ing the new Niner RIP9 carbon RDO and it is very solid bike and has fairly short chainstays. I can definitely tell the difference, but I am having tons of pedal strikes and feel like it does not climb quite as well as the Sultan. Only two short rides so far.... but this Atlas has really caught my attention, but a little worried that it will not be as "point and shoot" as my Sultan. I will probably never be able to try an Atlas before buying, so I am trying to find out as much as I can before buying. I want to have a solid feeling bike, not one of these fragile feeling carbon bikes. I will be building it up with a Talas 34 140mm for a solid trail - leaning towards all mountain and want to find out if this bike will be capable.

btw - can some post what size seatpost this frame takes? and does the rear comfortably accomodate the Nobby Nic 2.35 ?

Thanks
    I can respond all around - I rode a 2009 and 2011 Sultan for several years before moving onto the Atlas Carbon (from the first batch). I have found it to pedal as well as, and sometimes better than the Sultan. The chainstays are SO MUCH shorter on the Atlas, that standing climbing is far better, and though it doesn't seem to have as much anti-squat as the Sultan, it feels more direct in its pedaling.
    I would say it needs a little more finesse than the Sultan - it's less of a monster truck. Going from 18.5" stays to 16.9" stays makes for a much more playful bike, but at the same time, it is a little less forgiving when you mess up. I am finding myself riding my normal techy trails with much more tact and body english, relying less on the bike to power over everything in it's path. FWIW, I'm running a 140mm Loop, ENVE AM rims, dropper post, Hans Dampf tires, so it's definitely on the all-mountain end of the spectrum.

I started off with a Nobby Nic 2.35, and riding XC it was fine, but when loaded up on hard corners (or the pump track) I got a little rub on the chainstay. This was on super wide AM rims - it may be less of an issue on narrower rims. I'd shoot for the HD or a 2.25 Nobby Nic.
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Can anyone compare to a Tallboy, and wheres a good place to buy a frame?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by confused View Post
    Can anyone compare to a Tallboy, and wheres a good place to buy a frame?
    I have only ridden the TB for a day in Santa Cruz last year, and I absolutely loved that bike. It had a 100 up front, so definitely a little more XC, but a very neutral feeling bike that I adjusted to almost immediately. It was on my short list when I bought the atlas....but wanted aluminum and TB alum did not have a thru axle...a must have for a trail bike IMO.

Relative to place to buy...good luck. I bought mine from Speedgoat, which is now out of business. Performance Bike is one on-line retailer I believe carry Devinci.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast