Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by M0riarty View Post
    This is the 41.15mm kit and no shims are necessary.

RWC SHOCK EYE NEEDLE BEARING KITS
    Thanks! I just ordered a Monarch RCT3 and will likely try the debonair can on it. I also ordered the RWC kit for the upper hardware. I'm going to use 'normal' hardware for the bottom. On a 2014 carbon, does anyone know what size I need? Also, should I order Fox or Rockshox hardware--anyone have a preference? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by llamapoo View Post
    Yes, I believe the owner's manual is the 3 pager. I use that technical paper for nearly everything - a combination of that for part numbers and torque settings and the glossy catalogue for original parts spec (OEM names - I've still had to call Easton to get wheel specs though when I rebuilt them).

From the sounds of it, you've already found the three pager online. If you need any help with the original catalogue for parts and geometry, let me know and I'll scan the pages and send it to you.
    Any chance you still have that? I'm looking at a carbon frame that has the bolt on axle, not the maxle, and trying to see if it's 135 or 142 spacing, and what diameter that axle is. Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Rock View Post
    Any chance you still have that? I'm looking at a carbon frame that has the bolt on axle, not the maxle, and trying to see if it's 135 or 142 spacing, and what diameter that axle is. Thanks
    send me pics of what you are trying to measure and I'll email you the OM.

Barry

nbadam at cox dot net

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I have been hearing some creaking when I put a lot of pressure on the bars or if I'm track standing. So I took apart my head set to check. In your opinion, would this be considered a crack?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_20160524_172421%7E3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by barryadam View Post
    send me pics of what you are trying to measure and I'll email you the OM.

Barry

nbadam at cox dot net
    Sorry, I guess I only get weekly updates on this thread. B.Rock and barryadam, just let me know if you need the OM and the specs page from the catalogue and I'll send them.

tab

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ifly3Dallday View Post
    I have been hearing some creaking when I put a lot of pressure on the bars or if I'm track standing. So I took apart my head set to check. In your opinion, would this be considered a crack?
    Best I can tell from picture is that is not a crack. Creaking noise comes from headset. Mine has cane creek 40 headset and I cannot stop the creaking either. Some have recommended over tightening headset but I think best is to upgrade to a cane creek 110 series.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ccook905 View Post
    Best I can tell from picture is that is not a crack. Creaking noise comes from headset. Mine has cane creek 40 headset and I cannot stop the creaking either. Some have recommended over tightening headset but I think best is to upgrade to a cane creek 110 series.
    Just did that a couple weeks ago after the stock headset bearings pretty much rotted out. So far so good i.e. no creaking. Also threw an RWC needle bearing on the rear shock. Wow, now that was an underrated upgrade. My 2015 Carbon Atlas is it still a head turner on the trail. The shiny carbon/teal blue finish gets a lot of nice comments from folks riding around on matte black clone bikes.

It's been easy enough to work on and my LBS does excellent work and has all the tools. It seems the market is trying to get closer to this bike just as Devinci went in another direction. Shame. I plan to run this until the carbon is ground to dust.

My next upgrade will eventually be a set of carbon hoops to replace my SunRingle set.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken6503 View Post
    Just did that a couple weeks ago after the stock headset bearings pretty much rotted out. So far so good i.e. no creaking. Also threw an RWC needle bearing on the rear shock. Wow, now that was an underrated upgrade. My 2015 Carbon Atlas is it still a head turner on the trail. The shiny carbon/teal blue finish gets a lot of nice comments from folks riding around on matte black clone bikes.

It's been easy enough to work on and my LBS does excellent work and has all the tools. It seems the market is trying to get closer to this bike just as Devinci went in another direction. Shame. I plan to run this until the carbon is ground to dust.

My next upgrade will eventually be a set of carbon hoops to replace my SunRingle set.
    Yeah, I scratched my head on Devinci's decision to drop the Atlas.
    As noted all the new 29ers coming out resemble the Atlas.
    Just picked up one of those 100mm reverbs from merlin for mine:0)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem1 View Post
    I talked with the company about 6 months ago. I had concerns about parts and components even the frame had a lifetime warranty. I didn't want them to force me into a 27.5 in case my frame ever went kaboom. They said they had all the molds and materials to replace any component indefinitely. I hope that remains the case.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Ahh thanks for letting me know. I have a FSA (can't see the model number) headset right now. I wonder how the performance differs. By the way, have any of you guys seen a very small hair line crack coming from the seat tube dot going out in an angle. How big do these need to get till I need to worry. Sorry guys for my paranoia, but I just want to keep on riding it as well instead of taking it to the lbs with a probability of getting blown off. I second the ease of dissambly/reassembly as well as peoples reaction when they try to discover what this bike is haha.
    Last edited by ifly3Dallday; 07-20-2016 at 01:49 PM.

Norđwegr
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem1 View Post
    Resemble, yes; ride the same; no. My 2013 carbon Atlas was a good bike, but saying it rides like a modern trailbike would be wrong, the seattube is way too slack for that among some other differences.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    Resemble, yes; ride the same; no. My 2013 carbon Atlas was a good bike, but saying it rides like a modern trailbike would be wrong, the seattube is way too slack for that among some other differences.
    Hi Vegard, have you been able to compare the Atlas to some more recent bikes? What are your impressions of the differenceso?
    Ted

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have had a chance to ride mine back to back with many of the "new trail bikes"
    The Pivot trail is a sweet bike, maybe a little more efficient climbing due to the rear link, but no where near as fun to throw around due to the longer chain stays.
    Same applies to the first gen Ripley.

Undercaffienated

Devinci Atlas Carbon

I just built up an alloy 2015 Atlas after riding many "modern trail bikes". From Ti aggro hardtails to full on enduro machines. The Atlas is seldom matched on the versatility front, even when compared to the latest crop of trail bikes. The geo could do with a few minor tweaks but honestly I am loving it as it is.

I am running a 140mm fork, 760mm bars and 170mm cranks with the frame set to the low position. This thing rips.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    [QUOTE=hmorsi;12745392]I just built up an alloy 2015 Atlas after riding many "modern trail bikes". From Ti aggro hardtails to full on enduro machines. The Atlas is seldom matched on the versatility front, even when compared to the latest crop of trail bikes. The geo could do with a few minor tweaks but honestly I am loving it as it is.

I am running a 140mm fork, 760mm bars and 170mm cranks with the frame set to the low position. This thing rips.

[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk

I could not agree more.
    I have ridden most of the new trail 29ers, none of them have compelled me to upgrade my 2015 carbo Atlas.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by hmorsi View Post
    I just built up an alloy 2015 Atlas after riding many "modern trail bikes". From Ti aggro hardtails to full on enduro machines. The Atlas is seldom matched on the versatility front, even when compared to the latest crop of trail bikes. The geo could do with a few minor tweaks but honestly I am loving it as it is.

That's a sexy beast. What manitou fork are you running?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    I must say, I like this bike. I've looked at the specs and I'm possibly in the market for a racey 29er. Too bad they stopped making it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Undercaffienated
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    That's a sexy beast. What manitou fork are you running?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks! The Atlas is a good looking bike indeed. The fork is a Manitou Minute.

Here is a shot from my ride yesterday.

Short-Change-Hero
    Nice... How do you like it? What size and riding style are you? I was very close to grabbing one to replace my busted Revelation but at almost 200lbs kitted up I have read that the older Tower was flexy. I had a 100mm Tower Pro on my old hardtail that I loved but felt that it would get overwhelmed when I would hit seriously rocky stuff. Really wish that Manitou would make a 34mm stanchioned 29er fork other than the Magnum.

Undercaffienated

Devinci Atlas Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Nice... How do you like it? What size and riding style are you? I was very close to grabbing one to replace my busted Revelation but at almost 200lbs kitted up I have read that the older Tower was flexy. I had a 100mm Tower Pro on my old hardtail that I loved but felt that it would get overwhelmed when I would hit seriously rocky stuff. Really wish that Manitou would make a 34mm stanchioned 29er fork other than the Magnum.
    I have about 4 rides on it so far and liking it. It's the 140mm Travel version. Easy to set up, predictable along the travel range and no excessive dive on the slow speed technical manoeuvring on steep sections without having to increase the pressure significantly and thus sacrificing some of that small bump response.

I have a 120mm Tower Pro on my Ti hardtail and also like it. Slightly flexy but I am thinking the flex might be the wheels on the hardtail since they're a Stans Crest rims lightweight build. The only times I do feel the flex is when pushing hard in corners, the 2.3 tire would slightly buzz the plastic Marsh Guard front fender mounted on the reverse arch.

I am about 76kg geared up on a medium frame. I'd describe my riding as aggro XC on technical forest and desert trails (I travel frequently so have the opportunity to ride varied terrain) and I do a couple XC/enduro races every year.

I also wish Manitou made a 34mm mid travel 29er fork, but for my current purposes the Minute seems solid.

Short-Change-Hero
    Ah ok... yeah I am a bit heavier than you at about 190lbs (87kgs) so that is probably part of the reason I felt more flex and most of the guys that I talked to were in the 200+lbs range (95kgs+). Especially at 140mm travel and the fact that I am more of an aggressive trail/AM rider now than when I had the Tower. Came very close to grabbing the 27.5+ Magnum and throwing a standard sized 29er rim in it but ended up not.

mtbr member
    Coming soon is the replacement to the Atlas. The Django 29.

Last edited by Velorangutan; 08-11-2016 at 01:41 PM.
    Best Source for Ellsworth Devinci and Ventana!
    Velorangutan... the pedal type.
    Motorangutan... the motorized type.

mtbr member
    Here's my new Atlas build. I stuck with the Atlas over the new Django because I like the steeper head angle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Rear derailleur hanger

Hey guys, might be another ocd question but, should the rear derailleur hanger be square on to recesses on the rear triangle? I can't get it square unless It is well under the recommended torque, so right now it's a bit angled to the recess.. let me know if it's nothing to worry about. a pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Devinci Atlas Carbon-img_20160804_160543.jpg  

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorangutan View Post
    Coming soon is the replacement to the Atlas. The Django 29.
    Meh, I think the mid-travel 29er market is just super-saturated, it might be along the lines of what I could use, but I really want something a little racier, 100-115mm, with the pedaling characteristics of the Atlas, around 100% or a little above, anti-squat throughout a good portion of the travel, so it won't be like a wet matress uphill when pedaling and the suspension is activating. Although there are a few bikes out there, Czar, 429, Following, Ripley, I think the shorter-travel aggressive 29 XC bikes (with modern XC geometry, not too stupid-steep) are where the market is lacking. You got the basic stuff from the big manufactures, but they tend to rely more on lockouts and brain type devices, rather than good suspension characteristics. I wish there were a few more short travel bikes on the market like the Atlas, without a crazy falling-anti-squat curve or 200%, etc.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Meh, I think the mid-travel 29er market is just super-saturated, it might be along the lines of what I could use, but I really want something a little racier, 100-115mm, with the pedaling characteristics of the Atlas, around 100% or a little above, anti-squat throughout a good portion of the travel, so it won't be like a wet matress uphill when pedaling and the suspension is activating. Although there are a few bikes out there, Czar, 429, Following, Ripley, I think the shorter-travel aggressive 29 XC bikes (with modern XC geometry, not too stupid-steep) are where the market is lacking. You got the basic stuff from the big manufactures, but they tend to rely more on lockouts and brain type devices, rather than good suspension characteristics. I wish there were a few more short travel bikes on the market like the Atlas, without a crazy falling-anti-squat curve or 200%, etc.
    Just curious, why NOT the Czar? Sounds like what you are looking for. Really love mine. It's more of a do-all bike in a very light package than I expected. I'm just getting started on building up a Following for the more punishing trails and steeper downs. The Czar handles everything else very nicely.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2fur View Post
    Just curious, why NOT the Czar? Sounds like what you are looking for. Really love mine. It's more of a do-all bike in a very light package than I expected. I'm just getting started on building up a Following for the more punishing trails and steeper downs. The Czar handles everything else very nicely.
    It's a contender, I especially like the open-triangle design that will lend itself well to custom-bags, for the long-distance races. I want something I can XC race and not get beat up on, as I'm getting more competitive, but I'd like even more choices in the field. It seems there are a million 120-140mm 29ers out there, which is the travel-area I'm least interested in, since 150-160mm bikes are so light these days and climb so well. I can cover the spread better for myself with an XC race/endurance bike at this point I think, rather than a 130mm bike that I wouldn't want to take to the bikepark and that would still be a bit of a bear to XC race.

otb club member
    I hear you. Already having the Czar, choosing my 2nd bike has been a challenge. Never in my wildest dreams expected to get so fond of the big wheels. The SC 5010 I thought would fill the gap is more plush than the Czar, but it won't handle that much more (greater travel, but less rollover). I hear the Following with 140 up front will handle the rough stuff very well, but was tempted to go more extreme (Wreckoning). We'll see...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by xl_cheese View Post
    Here's my new Atlas build. I stuck with the Atlas over the new Django because I like the steeper head angle.

That's a sexy drivetrain right there. What's the overall weight?

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011