mtbr member

Devinci Atlas, Alloy vs. Carbon, to replace my old Sugar.

I am in the market to replace my aged, yet trusty old GF Sugar 29er. The one I am on in my avatar pic. Getting into the 8th season on it this year, and it is time for it to go.

Looking to slack out the front to get behind the suspension more, avoid bob in the rear, shorten the rear a lot from the old GF, and otherwise enjoy.

I ride in Sun Valley, Idaho, where the trails are mostly flowy single track with a little tech here and there. The 100-110 in the rear with 120-140 in the front 29er is the perfect trail bike for me. As I said, I want to tighten up the handling over the very, very old geometry of the old Fisher, and slacken out the front. I want to retain all the other 29'er characteristics of rolling, etc., as the Sugar improved my climbing substantially, and descending too up to a point. I chase some serious cyclists in a weekly club ride. When I went 29 I went from at or near the rear to climb up into the group, particularly climbing. Hoping to build on that, and improve my descending as well.

Looking at the Devinci Atlas, and considering between the alloy and the carbon. If I get the alloy with a lower build (which is what I normally do), then I can swap stuff out as it wears out, or before if I just have to, such as adding a dropper post on the low level build, and putting a wider bar with a little rise.

Here, performance has a carbon and an alloy together for comparison. As I said, I usually buy a lower to middle end build, and replace stuff as I go to get the bike I want. I generally hold onto a bike for around 7 years.

Performance Bike - Product Comparison

Thoughts? Personal experiences? Thanks!

Nat
    Solo contendre
    I think to CF frame looks much nicer than the AL frame, FWIW.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I think to CF frame looks much nicer than the AL frame, FWIW.
    Agreed. But at around $1,700 more as between these two, (I will have to see what is actually available. They don't have my size at Performance in the Alloy) that would be a lot of dough to use on parts, etc., or to save just getting into a bike. Looking at the components, the one thing on the alloy I don't like much is the Avid Elixr brake system. Those darned brakes always end up needing being bled. Perhaps the shimanos are better. Also, need to find out about the wheelsets. that would be the other big thing. Don't really care about the x7 vs. SLX that much. Either will work. And I will replace stuff there as it wears out.

mtbr member
    Also, I have had decent luck with Reba forks in the past (Sugar has one), but don't know if the Fox is that much of an upgrade or not. Would like to be able to convert whatever I get to a little taller if I want too.

mtbr member
    Just found out that the carbon frame is a little longer reach (maybe about 3/4 inch or the difference between 389 and 401 mm) than the alloy. The difference is in the front part of the frame. That might make a difference in my decision too.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; 6 Days Ago at 12:15 PM.

Nor­wegr
    That's correct, the carbon is a little bit longer. Personally I went with a carbon frame because it meant I could use a shorter stem. I was lucky and managed to snag a new 2013 frame for $950. There might be more layovers out there if you shop around and want to build yourself.
    WTB:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    That's correct, the carbon is a little bit longer. Personally I went with a carbon frame because it meant I could use a shorter stem. I was lucky and managed to snag a new 2013 frame for $950. There might be more layovers out there if you shop around and want to build yourself.
    That would be tempting. I do want to buy so that I can use the warranty also. Read some stuff that maybe one cannot do so if one builds it themselves.

Nor­wegr
    That can't be the case, people wouldn't buy frames on their own if warranty was voided by building it yourself

You can find more info here, but it's a really long thread:
    Devinci Atlas Carbon
    WTB:

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    I think the carbon is the way to go especially specced like that but it doesn't seem like a closeout price, have you looked at buying new? If you come out to Fruita you could Demo both and really see
    DEVINCI
    Atlas Carbon XP 3299.00
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KgB View Post
    I think the carbon is the way to go especially specced like that but it doesn't seem like a closeout price, have you looked at buying new? If you come out to Fruita you could Demo both and really see
    DEVINCI
    Atlas Carbon XP 3299.00
    Would love to. Maybe I can arrange a trip down there soon. I would rather have one set up like the RX if possible when I am done.

DEVINCI

But not at $4,600.00!!

The alloy one at $3500.00 looks a little promising.

DEVINCI

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegard View Post
    That can't be the case, people wouldn't buy frames on their own if warranty was voided by building it yourself

You can find more info here, but it's a really long thread:
    Devinci Atlas Carbon
    Yeah, that can't be right. I saw that thread and started reading, but it was really, really long.

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Would love to. Maybe I can arrange a trip down there soon. I would rather have one set up like the RX if possible when I am done.

DEVINCI

But not at $4,600.00!!

The alloy one at $3500.00 looks a little promising.

DEVINCI
    Devinci Atlas, Alloy vs. Carbon, to replace my old Sugar.-dsc_3258.jpg

Just built this one up this week

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3258.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	243.2 KB 
ID:	982536

Just built this one up this week
    Was that a stock build? And any as built weight measurements on the mediums?

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    Was that a stock build? And any as built weight measurements on the mediums?
    custom build around 27lbs as shown, aluminum with lower spec is around 30lbs

mtbr member
    custom build around 27lbs as shown, aluminum with lower spec is around 30lbs
    Does that custom build include a dropper post?

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    Does that custom build include a dropper post?
    well it's custom, this bike no but usually yes

mtbr member
    well it's custom, this bike no but usually yes
    Thanks, I just couldn't quite tell from the pic.