mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Deciding on what Hardtail 29er I should get.

I have a budget of about $700 and was having trouble deciding on what bike I would like to get. I have looked at the Jamis Exile Sport 29er, the Airborne Guardian, Raleigh Talus 29er, Specialized Hardock Sport Disc 29er, and Giant Revel 0 29er.

I was hoping you could give me some input on what you felt was the best way to go.

Thank you

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by seangilbert View Post
    I have a budget of about $700 and was having trouble deciding on what bike I would like to get. I have looked at the Jamis Exile Sport 29er, the Airborne Guardian, Raleigh Talus 29er, Specialized Hardock Sport Disc 29er, and Giant Revel 0 29er.

I was hoping you could give me some input on what you felt was the best way to go.

Thank you
    Which bikes have you ridden? What did you think of them?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have only ridden a 2001 Jamis Dakar that my dad gave me after he got a new bike. Then I start riding a 25 year old Diamondback Accent that my mom owned. I'm newly in the market for a new bike and these all seemed like good choices. Haven't ridden any of them yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I have only ridden a 2001 Jamis Dakar that my dad gave me after he got a new bike. Then I start riding a 25 year old Diamondback Accent that my mom owned. I'm newly in the market for a new bike and these all seemed like good choices. Haven't ridden any of them yet.
    I'd suggest riding them if you can. In your price range most bikes are similar spec'd, it really comes down to which bike fits you the best. Plus, you might get a better idea of what's important to you - one bike might have a littler nicer shock, the other a little nicer drivetrain, etc.

The Airborne is more the exception to this group in that you can't really test ride it, but its spec'd a bit nicer than the rest. However, riding some new bikes will give you a better idea of modern 29er geometry, and inform you of your fit preferences so you could make a more educated decision on an Airborne if you decide to go that way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I intend on test riding as many as I can before purchasing anything. I agree that it will help me decide if I would like the Airborne, which is seeming like on of the best options as of now

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I intend on test riding as many as I can before purchasing anything. I agree that it will help me decide if I would like the Airborne, which is seeming like on of the best options as of now
    Airborne is definitely the best value. Although, I'd see what kind of service deals your LBS has - some stores offer lifetime tune-ups, which can be great depending on how bike-savvy you are (or just for the convenience of it)

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    It would be extremely convenient to do that. I myself am not very bike savvy at all while my dad is very. I will consider all of this before purhasing

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It would be extremely convenient to do that. I myself am not very bike savvy at all while my dad is very. I will consider all of this before purhasing
    Tuneups do not cover a broad range of proper maintenance on your bike. And they do nothing for you on the trail where you often discover the need for a repair or adjustment. You can learn what you need to know from your dad, YouTube, Pinkbike Tech Tuesday videos and Park tool guides. Nothing is that complicated. Any bike with a Suntour fork will benefit greatly for trail riding with an upgrade to a Raidon($175) from the Suntour upgrade program or a Rockshox Recon Gold($240 and 1.5lbs. lighter)from Random Bike Parts. . The Airborne fork is usable for trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I plan on learning from my dad and look up anything he does not know for my own knowledge. I plan to get the Airborne bike as of now but I wanna ride the others first. Thanks for the advice

mtbr member
    Out of the ones you've listed, I've test ridden the Hardrock Disc and Giant Revel, among others. I am buying an Airborne Guardian. Done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I think my mind is pretty much set on the Airborne Guardian for now. I am going to ride some other 29ers to get a feel for it and try to compare how I like it. Thanks for the input!

Give it a crank
    A budget under $1K will get you something rideable but with minimal component sets. The best thing to look for with a limited budget is usually a used bike. There are plenty of used 29ers on the market, it's a matter of waiting for a good deal to appear. This is the way to go in places where there are many bikes for sale, if you're willing to wait.

I went through the same thing as you. I was about to order a new Guardian until I saw an ad for a barely used Raleigh XXIX+G with decent specs. After looking at it, I figured it was a better deal than a new bike. It worked, I'm thrilled with it.

mtbr member
    I bought a Hardrock Sport Disk 29er..got about 150+miles on it so far and it has worked perfect! 100% happy with my choice. Very light bike too.. Oh I got 19" Large and I am 6foot 215lbs
    Now that I am learning to jump I will need to get an airfork! Oh and I love the hydro brakes that came with the bilke! awesome!
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    A budget under $1K will get you something rideable but with minimal component sets. The best thing to look for with a limited budget is usually a used bike. There are plenty of used 29ers on the market, it's a matter of waiting for a good deal to appear. This is the way to go in places where there are many bikes for sale, if you're willing to wait.

I went through the same thing as you. I was about to order a new Guardian until I saw an ad for a barely used Raleigh XXIX+G with decent specs. After looking at it, I figured it was a better deal than a new bike. It worked, I'm thrilled with it.
    My dad has been telling me this same thing for a while. The Guardian is looking very good to me but a used bike would greatly benefit me since my budget is lower than I would like. I have to do a lot of considering before I pull the trigger. I just gotta get off the hunk of junk that I'm riding now!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    I bought a Hardrock Sport Disk 29er..got about 150+miles on it so far and it has worked perfect! 100% happy with my choice. Very light bike too.. Oh I got 19" Large and I am 6foot 215lbs
    Now that I am learning to jump I will need to get an airfork! Oh and I love the hydro brakes that came with the bilke! awesome!
    Thanks a lot for the input! I as well like the Hardrock Sport Disc 29er, I'm having a real hard time deciding on what bike to pick. I am definitely going to have to give some of these test rides and look into some used hardtails as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Cannondale has pretty decent 29er hardtail for around that price range...SL5 or SL4

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan1113 View Post
    Cannondale has pretty decent 29er hardtail for around that price range...SL5 or SL4
    Really? I'll have to take a look at that. Thanks a bunch

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Cannondale 29er 5 $780.....29er 6 is 650....the SL4 is $1000

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I just looked that up, do you ride one of these?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have the SL4 and currently shopping around for new fork for my bike! The Coil spring is nice to put around town but not to hit the trails....something to think about! I paid $799 for my bike. Good luck

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan1113 View Post
    I have the SL4 and currently shopping around for new fork for my bike! The Coil spring is nice to put around town but not to hit the trails....something to think about! I paid $799 for my bike. Good luck
    Thanks a lot! I'll take it into consideration