Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Decent choice?

5K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Tier1 
#1 ·
Hey, I know you guys are prolly gonna laugh considering the quality of rides on here and I would have kept this in the "Beginners Corner but it wont post. Long story short I had a very limited budget and feel like I came out a bit ahead as far as bang for buck as in much better outfitting than other bikes under 400.

Just bought a "GT Ricochet comp 29er" (not sure it's a real GT as I can't find anything on it online on GT's site or Bikepedia) from ***** sporting goods (i would include a link but I think that is why it won't post on the other forum. I was limited to less than 400 bones and my LBS have nothing under 450 and the $450 ones are all steel and weight was a concern for a lot of reasons.

I know it isn't exactly trail worthy. It is more for commuting on roads and occasional fun in the woods. Worst it will prolly see is some moderate speed downhill tree roots on paths and bunny hopping curbs to avoid striking them.

Basically just want to hear from some people that know their stuff what this bike can do and can't do and where it is capable of going ie. future upgrades. I have read that the front shock/fork isn't great and have no problem replacing it someday when it gives lol.

The more detail the better I wannah learn as much as possible and get into the sport/hobby more over time. Used to play around pretty aggressively as a teen and loved it. May become a real pastime and buy a big boy bike someday lol.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
In my brief research, it looks like Dick's Sporting Goods version of the GT Karakorum. I bought the same bike from Performance Bicycle, and they call their model the Backwoods Comp. It's a great platform to start off with. I've been replacing parts as I feel an upgrade is needed. The first item I replaced was the front fork... the stock Suntour is bottom of the barrel entry level. But, you do have hydraulic brakes, and the Ricochet comes with really good hardpack tires, the Conti Race Kings! It's a solid bike.

#4 ·
I will get you by. As others have said just upgrade parts as they wear out or break. Except for the fork. I would upgrade it as soon as possible. A good quality air fork will make a ton of difference. An inexpensive way is to use the Suntour upgrade program and get the Raidon fork. SR Suntour North America
A lot of people on this forum have done it and are pleased with the results. There are 30+ pages about it here. http://forums.mtbr.com/beginners-corner/if-you-want-upgrade-your-suntour-fork-830657.html
Once you upgrade that fork it will be very trail worthy unless you fall into the clydesdale category and the rear hub may give out on you. Then just upgrade it and ride some more.

#5 ·
Thanks a bunch for the input guys. I forgot to mention I got it for 370 bucks with tax. Good to know I got a half decent bike for 70 more than the list on my POS mongoose. (If I wasn't going to return it for the cash I would cast it off into Lake Erie and give it a less than respectful Vikings funeral)

Def gonna check out the upgrade program! What do you mean by Clydesdale category? Rotund? Lol. 205 lb but in a mostly good way lol. From what I read though that weight can stress shocks.

#6 ·
$370 is a steal for it's part list. As others have said, the fork is the weak link, SR Suntours upgrade program is the way to go there. After that the only thing I really saw were the Raceking tires, great fast rolling tires but they will be suffer when it's wet or muddy. Don't get me wrong, the tires are excellent when it's dry, many people do race with them. Outside of those two items, I'd ride that bike and just replace things as they break or if they become bothersome to you.

#7 ·
Absolutely yes! If what people are saying is true I have a Karakoram 4.0 myself (equivalent to the Sport, your Comp is equivalent to the 3.0) and it's a good bike. IMO the fork isn't something that's totally necessary immediately but something to think about eventually, although if it were me I'd probably just get a new bike at that point.

BTW it actually can be trail worthy but I wouldn't take it downhilling or all mountain riding any time soon. I've taken it up and down some decent single track trails at a nearby municipal park close to my house and it does pretty good. Something like this with a couple rolling hills is probably the most I'd go on an entry level bike like that https://images.singletracks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/betasso-trail.jpg

But on the other hand, if it gets you riding when you don't have a bike at the moment it's always a good bike. Even if it's a Supercycle or a CCM or a cheap Mongoose or whatever. To be honest I'm proud that my girlfriend is rocking a Supercycle because at least she can go out riding with me and so what if her mom has a BRC from the 80's, if she's riding it around town then its all good. You don't need Carbon this or Dropper post that or to wage a holy war on 26/650b/700c wheels, you just need to ride for the sake of riding.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.