Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    545

    Deals on RIP9's???

    Just demoed a RIP9 for the last 2 days and have finally found the 29er for me!

    My LBS has a special buy going on for $3850 for 2012 RIP9 with Talas, Stand Flow Rims, and Shimano XT components. Full specs are below,

    Anyone know of any better deals out there?

    Frame Niner R.I.P 9
    Fork 2012 Fox 34 Talus 110-140mm travel Black
    Headset Niner ZS
    Rear Shock Fox RP23
    Rims/Wheels Stans Flow Tubeless Rims
    Hubs Stans ZTR
    Spokes DT Swiss Double Butted
    Tires Maxxis Ardent, 29x2.25
    Crankset 2012 Shimano XT 2x 175mm 24/38t rings
    Bottom Bracket Shimano XT
    Front Derailleur 2012 Shimano XT 780 series
    Rear Derailleur 2012 Shimano XT Shadow+ 785 series
    Rear Cogs Shimano XT 11-36 10 speed
    Shifters 2012 Shimano XT 780 series 10 speed
    Handlebars Niner alloy Flat Top
    Tape/Grips ODI X-Trainer lock-on
    Stem Truvativ Stylo T30
    Brake Levers 2012 Shimano XT 780 series
    Brakes 2012 Shimano XT 780 series 180f, 160r
    Pedals N/A
    Saddle WTB Rocket V CroMo
    Seatpost Niner Alloy
    Seat Binder Niner

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    380
    I've learned over the last few years that if my LBS is within a reasonable percentage of the price somewhere on the net to just buy from my LBS. That few bucks you save is NEVER worth NOT having someone to take care of you if you need something.

    JMHO.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Misfit DiSSent SS
    Sette Razzo

  3. #3
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by GChambers View Post
    I've learned over the last few years that if my LBS is within a reasonable percentage of the price somewhere on the net to just buy from my LBS. That few bucks you save is NEVER worth NOT having someone to take care of you if you need something.

    JMHO.
    That wasn't my question, but I do agree. Just making sure there's not an even bigger sale somewhere else. I'd buy locally for a couple hundred more but if it's an even bigger savings, I'd at least try to negotiate with the LBS.

    That said, there are a number of LBSs that sell and service Niners and I probably wouldn't use the one in town with the sale for my service because they are not the closest and the guys in the shop didn't seem to want to talk much about bikes even though I was the only customer in the shop.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 06DODGECTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    65
    I don't think you will find a better price on that bike. That is one heck of a deal. I bought the same bike with only a few different components for $4900 earlier this year and even at that price I didn't regret my purchase one bit. The only differences between my bike and the one you're looking at is mine came with Niner RDO bars, seatpost, a Niner stem and Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35 tires. My Rip 9 is by far my favorite bike and does everything extremely well.

  5. #5
    sbd
    sbd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    254
    That is an awesome deal!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    522
    +1 = that build spec is a heck of a deal !! I think you'd be hard pressed to find talas/stans/full xt at that pricepoint anywhere

  7. #7
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    545
    Sweet! Thanks guys. That was my gut feel and I didn't see anything even close on an internet search, so I'm going to buy today if he has one in my size, which his site says he does.

  8. #8
    sbd
    sbd is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    254
    PM me a link after you get yours! I may jump on the bandwagon. I dont have a LBS

  9. #9
    the train keeps rollin
    Reputation: snowdrifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,207
    Snatch it up, nice specs! I ride a RIP9, it's a gr8 ride.
    beaver hunt

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ccornacc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    284
    Just PM'd you. I have a lightly used large 2010 that I just built with a better build that I would consider getting rid of. I think a medium would have been a better choice for me! Let me know if you are interested.

  11. #11
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by sbd View Post
    PM me a link after you get yours! I may jump on the bandwagon. I dont have a LBS
    Done.

    Quote Originally Posted by ccornacc View Post
    Just PM'd you. I have a lightly used large 2010 that I just built with a better build that I would consider getting rid of. I think a medium would have been a better choice for me! Let me know if you are interested.
    PM replied to.

  12. #12
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    545
    I talked to the actual owner today, Chris. On Saturday when I picked up the bike, it was his dad that I talked to who helps out at the shop but is not nearly as knowledgeable, which is probably why I was left with a mediocre impression of the shop initially.

    Today was totally different. Chis is a really nice and laid back guy. We talked about my impressions of the bike and what changes I'd want to the build. Even with the sale price, he's more than happy to swap out parts. The changes to the standard build I'm doing are:

    1. He's going to put in the Stans Flow EX rims for me at no charge that have a little higher weight limit since I'm a clyde.
    2. He's going to use my dropper post and take off the price of the seatpost.
    3. He's swapping out the Maxxis Ardent's for some Nobby Nics for me and just charging the difference in price.
    4. And he's going to change out the front chain rings so I have a 22T up front rather than the 24T so I can have a bit lower granny gear.


    My bike should be ready to go tomorrow afternoon!

    I asked if he was willing to ship in case anyone here wanted to get in on this deal and he said yes. He got a great buy on the frames and with winter being slow, this is a way for him to keep some revenue flowing during the off season.

    Here's a link to his specials if anyone is interested..
    Feature Items - Big Kahuna Bicycles - Littleton CO

  13. #13
    Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Reputation: JACKL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    526
    Wow, that's a loaded bike. It's great to have the nice wheelset included, because it seems like that is always the one thing people have to buy in addition to the bike. I've got the Flow Exs and love them. They work great with big tires and are strong, but the weight is very reasonable. Congrats!

  14. #14
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    Wow, that's a loaded bike. It's great to have the nice wheelset included, because it seems like that is always the one thing people have to buy in addition to the bike. I've got the Flow Exs and love them. They work great with big tires and are strong, but the weight is very reasonable. Congrats!
    Thanks man. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning. Can't wait to get out and ride! The weather is supposed to be great all week too.

    Sent from my Android - because Carrier Pigeons are slow!

  15. #15
    Plan #123-D
    Reputation: The_Aaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    487
    I can't believe I'm the first to say this: PICS!!!! As soon as you pick it up of course.
    C'mon lets go for a whirl.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bustedup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    14
    Big Kahuna is a great shop!
    That's where I got my RIP 9--I've had it for 2 years and still puts a BIG smile on my face every time I ride it!
    Chris is easy to work with and they build a great bike (no short cuts)
    Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deals on RIP9's???-2012-10-20_13-38-28_843-copy-1024x577-.jpg  

    Last edited by bustedup; 11-19-2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: insert pix

  17. #17
    nmh
    nmh is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9
    Hello,

    They are a great shop. I was in CO several months ago and demoed a RIP 9. No one in my local area had one to demo. The pricing was great, and they offered to ship to my state. I ended up going with a LBS (45 min away) who was great at first for the sale and pick up, although I did pay a few hundred more, but has absolutely been horrendous for service, to the point where I was told on several occasions to not bring my bike for service they are too busy, on four occasions. I have ended up going with my old shop (Trek and Felt) for service. I wish I had bought from your shop in CO, Chris and his father were absolutely great to deal with while I had an hour to test ride before heading to the airport. The Rip is a great bike, have fun.

  18. #18
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by aperzigian View Post
    I can't believe I'm the first to say this: PICS!!!! As soon as you pick it up of course.
    Here it is last night at the garage...


    and now out on the inaugural ride on the new RIP9!


    Sent from my Android - because Carrier Pigeons are slow!
    Last edited by rogerfromco; 11-21-2012 at 03:07 PM.

  19. #19
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    545
    Just got back home and man am I a happy camper. Spent a little time dialing in the rebound and tire pressure and then tried not to eat too much dirt while I was grinning from ear to ear on the rest of the ride. Going to take it on a tougher trail tomorrow and get in some long climbs and rocky descents to dial in the air pressure on the shocks next. She weighs in at 31.5 lbs with the dropper post and pedals.

    I gave the Nomad a bath this morning and took some pictures when I got home from the ride. It's going up on Craigslist this weekend. It's been a rock solid bike, but gotta help cover the cost of the new bike.
    Last edited by rogerfromco; 11-21-2012 at 03:54 PM.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 06DODGECTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    65
    I'm glad you're enjoying your new Rip 9! It will happily provide you with years of smiles and adventure. I can't complain about one thing on my Rip 9, it's everything I could ever want in a mountain bike.

  21. #21
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,141
    Quote Originally Posted by GChambers View Post
    I've learned over the last few years that if my LBS is within a reasonable percentage of the price somewhere on the net to just buy from my LBS. That few bucks you save is NEVER worth NOT having someone to take care of you if you need something.



    JMHO.
    I agree

  22. #22
    Climbs = necessary evil
    Reputation: rogerfromco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    545
    Quote Originally Posted by gridtalker View Post
    I agree
    Ummm, I did buy from the LBS and even gave a referral here in this thread.


    Quote Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
    I talked to the actual owner today, Chris. On Saturday when I picked up the bike, it was his dad that I talked to who helps out at the shop but is not nearly as knowledgeable, which is probably why I was left with a mediocre impression of the shop initially.

    Today was totally different. Chis is a really nice and laid back guy. We talked about my impressions of the bike and what changes I'd want to the build. Even with the sale price, he's more than happy to swap out parts. The changes to the standard build I'm doing are:

    1. He's going to put in the Stans Flow EX rims for me at no charge that have a little higher weight limit since I'm a clyde.
    2. He's going to use my dropper post and take off the price of the seatpost.
    3. He's swapping out the Maxxis Ardent's for some Nobby Nics for me and just charging the difference in price.
    4. And he's going to change out the front chain rings so I have a 22T up front rather than the 24T so I can have a bit lower granny gear.


    My bike should be ready to go tomorrow afternoon!

    I asked if he was willing to ship in case anyone here wanted to get in on this deal and he said yes. He got a great buy on the frames and with winter being slow, this is a way for him to keep some revenue flowing during the off season.

    Here's a link to his specials if anyone is interested..
    Feature Items - Big Kahuna Bicycles - Littleton CO

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    10
    Are you still enjoying the RIP? I'm thinking of getting the exact same deal.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kragu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,896
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey10000 View Post
    Are you still enjoying the RIP? I'm thinking of getting the exact same deal.
    My bike is the same, except I have a 34 Float and Arch EX wheels. It's the bees-knees! You won't regret it.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rossluzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey10000 View Post
    Are you still enjoying the RIP? I'm thinking of getting the exact same deal.
    The RIP is an awesome bike, I have a 120mm fork on mine but you can run a 140mm too. The bike can handle such a huge variety of terrain and trails.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •