Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Deals on RIP9's???

4K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  rogerfromco 
#1 ·
Just demoed a RIP9 for the last 2 days and have finally found the 29er for me! :thumbsup:

My LBS has a special buy going on for $3850 for 2012 RIP9 with Talas, Stand Flow Rims, and Shimano XT components. Full specs are below,

Anyone know of any better deals out there? :confused:

Frame Niner R.I.P 9
Fork 2012 Fox 34 Talus 110-140mm travel Black
Headset Niner ZS
Rear Shock Fox RP23
Rims/Wheels Stans Flow Tubeless Rims
Hubs Stans ZTR
Spokes DT Swiss Double Butted
Tires Maxxis Ardent, 29x2.25
Crankset 2012 Shimano XT 2x 175mm 24/38t rings
Bottom Bracket Shimano XT
Front Derailleur 2012 Shimano XT 780 series
Rear Derailleur 2012 Shimano XT Shadow+ 785 series
Rear Cogs Shimano XT 11-36 10 speed
Shifters 2012 Shimano XT 780 series 10 speed
Handlebars Niner alloy Flat Top
Tape/Grips ODI X-Trainer lock-on
Stem Truvativ Stylo T30
Brake Levers 2012 Shimano XT 780 series
Brakes 2012 Shimano XT 780 series 180f, 160r
Pedals N/A
Saddle WTB Rocket V CroMo
Seatpost Niner Alloy
Seat Binder Niner

See less See more
#2 ·
I've learned over the last few years that if my LBS is within a reasonable percentage of the price somewhere on the net to just buy from my LBS. That few bucks you save is NEVER worth NOT having someone to take care of you if you need something.

JMHO.

#3 ·
That wasn't my question, but I do agree. Just making sure there's not an even bigger sale somewhere else. I'd buy locally for a couple hundred more but if it's an even bigger savings, I'd at least try to negotiate with the LBS.

That said, there are a number of LBSs that sell and service Niners and I probably wouldn't use the one in town with the sale for my service because they are not the closest and the guys in the shop didn't seem to want to talk much about bikes even though I was the only customer in the shop.

#4 ·
I don't think you will find a better price on that bike. That is one heck of a deal. I bought the same bike with only a few different components for $4900 earlier this year and even at that price I didn't regret my purchase one bit. The only differences between my bike and the one you're looking at is mine came with Niner RDO bars, seatpost, a Niner stem and Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35 tires. My Rip 9 is by far my favorite bike and does everything extremely well.

#12 ·
I talked to the actual owner today, Chris. On Saturday when I picked up the bike, it was his dad that I talked to who helps out at the shop but is not nearly as knowledgeable, which is probably why I was left with a mediocre impression of the shop initially.

Today was totally different. Chis is a really nice and laid back guy. We talked about my impressions of the bike and what changes I'd want to the build. Even with the sale price, he's more than happy to swap out parts. The changes to the standard build I'm doing are:

1. He's going to put in the Stans Flow EX rims for me at no charge that have a little higher weight limit since I'm a clyde.
  2. He's going to use my dropper post and take off the price of the seatpost.
  3. He's swapping out the Maxxis Ardent's for some Nobby Nics for me and just charging the difference in price.
  4. And he's going to change out the front chain rings so I have a 22T up front rather than the 24T so I can have a bit lower granny gear.

My bike should be ready to go tomorrow afternoon! :D

I asked if he was willing to ship in case anyone here wanted to get in on this deal and he said yes. He got a great buy on the frames and with winter being slow, this is a way for him to keep some revenue flowing during the off season.

Here's a link to his specials if anyone is interested..
Feature Items - Big Kahuna Bicycles - Littleton CO

#13 ·
Wow, that's a loaded bike. It's great to have the nice wheelset included, because it seems like that is always the one thing people have to buy in addition to the bike. I've got the Flow Exs and love them. They work great with big tires and are strong, but the weight is very reasonable. Congrats!

#17 ·
Hello,

They are a great shop. I was in CO several months ago and demoed a RIP 9. No one in my local area had one to demo. The pricing was great, and they offered to ship to my state. I ended up going with a LBS (45 min away) who was great at first for the sale and pick up, although I did pay a few hundred more, but has absolutely been horrendous for service, to the point where I was told on several occasions to not bring my bike for service they are too busy, on four occasions. I have ended up going with my old shop (Trek and Felt) for service. I wish I had bought from your shop in CO, Chris and his father were absolutely great to deal with while I had an hour to test ride before heading to the airport. The Rip is a great bike, have fun.

#19 · (Edited)
Just got back home and man am I a happy camper. Spent a little time dialing in the rebound and tire pressure and then tried not to eat too much dirt while I was grinning from ear to ear on the rest of the ride. Going to take it on a tougher trail tomorrow and get in some long climbs and rocky descents to dial in the air pressure on the shocks next. She weighs in at 31.5 lbs with the dropper post and pedals.

I gave the Nomad a bath this morning and took some pictures when I got home from the ride. It's going up on Craigslist this weekend. It's been a rock solid bike, but gotta help cover the cost of the new bike.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.