mtbr member
    Feb 2013

DB Overdrive V vs. Dawes Haymaker 2900

Hey all! So I will be buying a bike soon! I have narrowed it down to 2. The Diamondback Overdrive V and the Dawes Haymaker 2900. They are both right at the price point I am looking at. My goal is to eventually upgrade the parts and make it a better bike...but to start off with, what is the better bike in your opinion? I am a little scared buying a bike online as compared to a store. THanks for all the help guys and gals!

Mountain Bikes - 29er Multi Speed - Dawes Haymaker 2900

Diamondback Bicycles - Overdrive V

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    No Brainer... the Dawes. Get the V ONLY if you need the frameor plan to sink anoth $300 into it right away. I bought the V and stripped it and put my Wifes Rockhopper parts on it so she could see if she likes going 29er.the Spokes are NOT 14g as stated on the item description.They are Hybrid wheels from the Diamondback Trace/Insight.Also pull brakes on a 29er is silly unless you plan to 29er your self to 7 eleven.If your working on a budget the Dawes is the better bet. It has suprisingly durable disc wheels. and disc brakes,better if you plan to get into beginner singletrack riding.Also check out Blueskycycling and Performanc Bike. They both have GT Karakoram's on sale for about he same price.Depending on where you live, find you local IMBA chapter or mountain bike forum.They usually have a classified section and you can get good deals on a better bike that way too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This one gets my vote for "bang for the buck"..GT Karakoram. It's listed at $399., but you can apply any of the numerous coupons that Performance throws out. And you also get the points too..the bike would give you $40. worth of credit to apply towards a helmet, gloves, etc. Another plus is Performance gives 6-12 month of free adjustments and you can test ride the bike before a purchase. I'll take a GT frame any day over the Bikes Direct house brand Dawes.
    GT Karakoram 4.0 29er Mountain Bike - 29er Mountain Bikes

Note that the GT also has a much better wheel set (Alex db wall) vs generic no name on the Bikes Direct.
    I like big bars and I cannot lie

mtbr member
    V-brakes are fine, especially for a beginner...amazing that somehow we all survived with them (and canti's before that) for all those years....sure..discs work better but Vs will stop you just fine if adjusted/maintained. BTW, crappy budget discs don't stop that great either. As long as the frame/fork have the potential to upgrade to decent discs later, don't worry about that. For this price, you are going to make compromises somewhere. The Dawes is the best deal but you will loose the ability to ride before you buy and you need to assemble it which isn't just throwing the front wheel on and straightening the handlebar. Add $75 to the price of the Dawes for a proper build at a shop for your price comparison if you want to compare apples to apples.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Add $75 to the price of the Dawes for a proper build at a shop for your price comparison if you want to compare apples to apples.
    Depending on where you buy the Overdrive V and what shops are near you may STILL have to add that assmbly fee on there.Dick's and Sports Authority both also sell DB's and BOTH , in most cases, have bike building to be desired...Bt their mistakes are extra $$$ for my shop So...As for fees, the shops in my area including the one I work at, will do a "tune up" ( $35-50 ) if you "assemble" the bike and bring it in for the tune and check.I've assembled two of these Dawes so far.
    As I stated earlier, those Tektro mech brakes work rather well (about the same as
    Avid bb5's).
    YES... somehow we did survived the perils of v-brakes back in the day, but for about the same price why go backwards?
    I have not ridden a Dawes, only built them.My personal expirience with the DB-V was its a rather nice frame.Other stuff on it had me thinking... could DB have dilluted their brand anymore?(ie: Mongoose/Schwinn/Iron Horse).However. The standard Overdrive is decent.(also ***** and Sports Auth. each have and "exclusive" model *****=Response XE/ Sports Auth= Overdrive DB?.Both of those arent bad either.Just above walmart.
    Again, Of these two, my vote is for the Dawes, but check out the GT or ask you local LBS if they have any specials on last years Demo bike, or layaway.
    Last edited by witchdr77; 03-06-2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: grammer

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by witchdr77 View Post
    Depending on where you buy the Overdrive V and what shops are near you may STILL have to add that assmbly fee on there.Dick's and Sports Authority both also sell DB's and BOTH , in most cases, have bike building to be desired...Bt their mistakes are extra $$$ for my shop So...As for fees, the shops in my area including the one I work at, will do a "tune up" ( $35-50 ) if you "assemble" the bike and bring it in for the tune and check.I've assembled two of these Dawes so far.
    As I stated earlier, those Tektro mech brakes work rather well (about the same as
    Avid bb5's).
    YES... somehow we did survived the perils of v-brakes back in the day, but for about the same price why go backwards?
    I have not ridden a Dawes, only built them.My personal expirience with the DB-V was its a rather nice frame.Other stuff on it had me thinking... could DB have dilluted their brand anymore?(ie: Mongoose/Schwinn/Iron Horse).However. The standard Overdrive is decent.(also ***** and Sports Auth. each have and "exclusive" model *****=Response XE/ Sports Auth= Overdrive DB?.Both of those arent bad either.Just above walmart.
    Again, Of these two, my vote is for the Dawes, but check out the GT or ask you local LBS if they have any specials on last years Demo bike, or layaway.
    Yeah, and when he gets tired of the no name Dawes and goes to sell it, he will take a big hit. The GT's have a very good frame reputation and will always have good value. And the generic/no name wheel set on the Dawes is very suspect, in fact, even the tires on it are generic/no name. Also just noticed the Dawes has a house brand/no name seat, while the GT has a WTB Pure V Comp which is damn good seat and well reviewed. Pass on Dawes.

mtbr member
    Resale value on a bike that is $400...common. I don't think that should be something top-of-mind for this purchase. The person buying a used bike for ~$200 isn't likely to care that much about the brand. Buy the bike that you like and that gives you (at least perceived) best bang for your buck. My point was to make sure you take into account service, assembly, test riding in your decision b/c those items do/can have value that are often left out of buying decisions when considering online retailers in these threads. I also agree that given the choice, I would take disc brakes over V-brakes, but if I liked everything else about the bike with Vs...they wouldn't stop me from buying it...again..they do work.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    IMO I would step up to the motobacane Fathom for a little more and have a frame worth upgrading.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Resale value on a bike that is $400...common. I don't think that should be something top-of-mind for this purchase. The person buying a used bike for ~$200 isn't likely to care that much about the brand. Buy the bike that you like and that gives you (at least perceived) best bang for your buck. My point was to make sure you take into account service, assembly, test riding in your decision b/c those items do/can have value that are often left out of buying decisions when considering online retailers in these threads. I also agree that given the choice, I would take disc brakes over V-brakes, but if I liked everything else about the bike with Vs...they wouldn't stop me from buying it...again..they do work.
    My point is that a GT frame is always desirable and retains much more value than the Dawes. I've bought/sold enough GT frames and bikes to know that my phone rings or I get multiple bids when sold on eBay. It's the same frame they use on their $1200. bike. I always encourage the buyer (especially a new buyer) to ride before you buy and enjoy the free adjustments, parts replacement, etc. if the fit and price are competitive.

mtbr member
    I am in the same predicament. What did the OP end up buying?