Thread: DB Mason sizing

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

DB Mason sizing

Looking at picking one of these up for general trail use. I'm 5'11 and usually wear 31" or 32" jeans. Comparing the TT specs to my large Blur LT it looks like the medium would actually get me a longer reach than the blur, just by little bit. The fit calculator on the DB site puts me on a large though. Any thoughts from people who have ridden them?

ride all day
    Sep 2011
    I would say go with the large. This bikes looks like a great and fun playful bike, so it's meant to run with a short stem. I think you'll be happy with it

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Appreciate the feedback but I'm trying to understand why the push to the next size up. The large Mason would be 1.5" longer toptube (assuming they measured it the same, I measured my Blur horizontally from the top of the HT back to where it met the seat tube) than my Blur. I run a 60mm stem on the blur and it feels perfect.

Am I missing something else that would cause sizing to be different with bigger wheels?
    Last edited by dfinn; 01-22-2013 at 08:34 PM.

ride all day
    Sep 2011
    I don't think sizing would be different for a 29er as a large is a large, despite the wheel size. Do you use your blur for xc/ trail use as would you with the mason? How does top tube length on the medium compare to the blur? And if you throw a 50mm stem on the mason then the difference would be an inch and at sweep back comes into play as well. If the website says size up they could be assuming the bike use for different than what you are looking for. But best bet if you had the chance to get out and ride one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    As I mentioned above, the TT on the medium Mason is longer than my large Blur. TT measurement does not take into account stem length so I think you might be a little confused there.

Anyone else with actual seat time on the bike?

ride all day
    Sep 2011
    Ok, I see what you are saying now if the TT length is longer on the medium mason go for that, and it should fit perfect.

Got Twins?
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    As I mentioned above, the TT on the medium Mason is longer than my large Blur. TT measurement does not take into account stem length so I think you might be a little confused there.

Anyone else with actual seat time on the bike?
    I'm 6'0" with a 34" inseam. My 29ers are mostly large, except for my medium SIR9 (first generation) and a medium RIP9. I could ride a large Niner since I'm on the cusp of their sizing.

I've ridden a large Mason for 2 days and with that super slack headtube angle, you'll want the same size as your Blur. I'd say go large. When looking at geometries of all mountain bikes, you stay the same as your xc bike (generally). The slack headtube angle brings the bars back to you, to give you a reference. Going only by the numbers is a start but not the end all be all.

I felt fine on the large Mason. I have a Mason in the garage.

HTH,
    L8
    Let us Ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm stuck as well. I'm 5'6" 29" inseam and currently ride a Superfly AL 100 29er small and had to put a 105mm stem and set back seat post to make the feel right and stop the front wheel coming up on steep climbs. I plan on getting a Mason soon and I'm really between two minds on the size. The bars are wider by 60mm (running 680mm) but the stem is shorter by 40mm I think. What to do?

Is dang happy!
    You are built sort of like me 5'11 with a long torso. I am also between sizes but went with the large (Screamy) and a short 65mm stem.

The 100mm stem "I" need to be comfortable on a bike with a 23.75 TT is just not right for this style of bike IMO.
    But it totally depends on what you are used to and your riding style, 90% of the trails where I ride are plush XC with long climbs so a more flickable bike is not needed.

If you are comfortable with the Blur the med should fit like a glove.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot