mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Dawes BullsEye vs Gravity G29..Opinions Please

Any of you 29er riders have either one and can you comment on likes and dislikes. Appears that the BullsEye has the Avid BB5 brakes, if that makes much difference. Also the BullsEye has the derailleur hanger if I ever want to go with a 7-9 speed cassette. Does this mean that the BullsEye rear wheel would also work with a cassette? Thanks for any input.

Mountain Bikes - 29er SingleSpeed - Dawes Deadeye

Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point1 29er Mountain Bikes
    I like big bars and I cannot lie

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Bump... Please

I too am looking at directbikes.com and bikeisland.com and wondering. Currently, I am leaning towards the Gravity G29. However if someone has hands on experience please...

The reasons I lean to the Gravity: ( please enlighten me if I am wrong )

1) The Gravity seems to have better tires and wheels. One complaint that I see about the Dawes is the wheels are very generic and heavy. The wheels on the gravity have WTB rims 32 spoke configurations and a hub that is made by "Formula" not sure if it is the same as the ultra high end brake brand ( probably not ). Most everyone upgrades the Dawes and the wheels are the first to go.

2) I've dealt with avid BB5s and Tektros before, mechanical disc brakes get a bad undeserved rap IMHO, I like em. I should say I like being able to fine tune them having the control. However, time and time again Tektro in my experience has come through more than once. Their v-brakes are great and I have Tekro IO's on another bike and no problems there. The Avid's I had were just un-impressive and finicky and on the reviews people don't have much good to say but hey...

3) The weight, The Dawes is steel, steel is "cool"/"Hipster"/ ... However from what I have seen on the forums here and other places is that the Dawes is a "big heavy pig". The generic nutted wheels probably are the main cause, but I can't see a steel frame saving you any weight either. Then again at this price range, beggars can't be choosers. I am sure both bikes will be around 30lbs.

4) Crankset, the Dawes uses from what I can tell a generic 32tooth, self branded crankset. It looks ok and probably performs well. The Gravity uses a Truvativ 33tooth. 33teeth is like have an "11" on your guitar amplifier... Seriously, the Truvativ probably will get more mileage and comes with a bashguard.

5) Headset, some say that headset on The Dawes is too basic and should be replaced, Gravity uses Cane Creek.

Having said that the Gravity ^I believe^ is a better bike, but the Dawes just looks so cool. Especially in neon freaky orange! Plus the Dawes has a Maple Leaf on the front which suggest a connection with Canada... Although it is a UK bike.

But I am going to go with the Gravity G29.
    I should have it in April and will post pics and review then.

For your geared questions, I am certain the Dawes will take a geared cassette and does in deed have a derailleur capable sliding drop out adapter. The description on the gravity says that the hub / gearset comes with 2 spacers. I would assume that this also a normal gear capable hub and they use a cog and 2 spacers to convert down to single speed. So to put gears on the Gravity it should be as trivial as getting a "horizontal derailleur dropout hanger".

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I think I found the hubs that are used on the Gravity G29.

FORMULA ENGINEERING INC / XERO Engineering Inc.

It looks like they do makes some single speed only hubs... BUT

Bike Island has the wheels of the G29 here and their description and photo shows that it is a standard freehub for 7,8,9 speeds:

BikeIsland.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Looking more closely at the Gravity G29 large picture:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...range_2100.jpg

I don't see any cable stops or cable mounts for going geared. I do believe their are number of ways to get around that. Clamp on cable stop for the front derailleur, for the rear most derailleurs have a cable stop built in. So for Running the cables I am sure there a re few home made and professional solutions out there.

B.Ike
    Going geared on on a tug nut derailleur hanger sucks IMHO. The derailleur comes off with the wheel and is loose while changing tube/tire. Steel will be more supple compared to aluminium, that right there makes my decision. The wheels on the gravity are very entry level and doubt they are too much better than the dawes. Entry level wheels like this are often heavy but strong, you wouldn't have to upgrade until you are ready to. I would pick avid over tectro any day. Dawes wins in my opinion, though I might pick the gravity if there was a major difference in the size of rear tire it could handle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Agree on going geared. If you go for an SS then go for SS all the way. Don't try to convert to geared. If you want gears later then get a second bike.

As for the wheels. At this price it's all a crap shoot. I do get the impression that the gravity has better wheels but who knows?

Brakes I am sure the avid bb5 are good too. I just been unlucky with avid and luck with tektro. Again I would not lose sleep about it.

So the frame : here is what I know. When you take a steel frame and go off road and the do some climbs especially with single speed where you are going to mash the poop out of it, then there is a real possibility that you warp the frame. Then again...

I will get the gravity in a month or so. Hopefully then I can articulate what I see for others to know more about it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I don't own either bike. We bought my wife an SE Stout SS from BD and one wheel was untruable (sp?), so they sent us an extra set from the Gravity g29 and although the wheels look fancy, they are pigs. Very heavy. If you're picking that bike based on the wheels, don't.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I think everyone upgrades the wheels on these bikes. I am just hoping to get a few months of rides in before upgrading.

B.Ike
    How heavy are you? That frame is not going to warp. I'm 230 and I got close to 700 miles on the se stout I bought last year (similar frame) its not going to break. If anything the steel will outlast the aluminium.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I think I maybe coming around to the Dawes. This will be the 4th time I changed my mind... :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Can the Dawes handle a continental race king 2.2?

B.Ike
    Couldn't say for sure. I believe there's a long thread in ss forum. In my opinion its the better looking of the two bikes. It comes with a 2.1 so i'm guessing a 2.2 wouldn't be too much of a stretch. Good luck.