mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Dambala vs Redline vs On-one: which steel 29-er for me ?

Guys, I'm looking for a steel rigid 29-er. I'd prefer a geared specific frame, but can live with sliding dropouts.

I'd like the bike to be agile and fast in the corners.

I live in Holland (EU), my rides are in woods and open fields. Woods means tight singletrack, corners, very smal but steep hills in the woods, roots. Also fire roads, sand, sometimes dunes. Mud, lots of mud as well. I tried the singlespeed thing, but we have too many flats so I spin out too much, and also I'd like to be able to keep up with 'gearies', so I need 7 speeds at least. Hence my preference for a geared specific frame.

Can you compare the Dambala vs the On-one vs the Redline (monocog, but I'll run it geared). I understand the geometry is a bit different. What does that mean?

THANKS.

mtbr member

Redline...

You'll have to run some non-standard equipment of some sort to run the MonoCog geared. It doesn't have a derailleur hanger. As such, it can be done using the On-One hanger adaptor, a Saint/Hone rear hub and derailleur, or the entry level Shimano derailleur with an integrated hanger that Cloxxki will tell you more about.

Personally, since you know that you want to run gears, I'd get the VooDoo or the On One...or wait until the Haro geared specific frame comes to market.