mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Damaged Trek Sawyer question

Can you please help with this? A local bike shop dropped my brand new 2012 Trek Sawyer while doing a service and the drop put a huge dent on the top of one of the top frame rails. It is quite visible but appears to not be structural. They have been very cool about it and offered to replace the frame but no frame is available from Trek. So they have offered a store credit to access for the damage. My problem is I think the bike has been greatly devalued by this damage. Can you give you opinion on what fair retribution/settlement would be for something like this? Thanks.
    By the way the dent is not minor either. Measures about half an inch side to side with paint chipped out in crevice of the dent.
    Last edited by Kevin McGrath; 04-24-2013 at 07:58 AM.

Trail Prospector
    Wow, way tender topic for a first post.

In the LBS' defense they admitted to doing it, and are willing to make it right - this speaks volumes.
    Have been in your position before, and yes the frame is now worth less.
    No idea of $$, yet it appears a workable solution will be the result.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Steel can be repaired (see Waltworks) or perhaps Trek has a spare frame (retained for replacing broken frames).

Your Best Friend
    Trek doesn't have any replacement frames at all or just none available right now? If you like your frame, you should be patient and wait out Trek. If you are curious about a new frame, tell your LBS to pony up for the replacement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Trek had committed to replacing the frame under warranty but then came back and said no more 17.5 ones are available or would be. So we down to some kind of other fix. Without going into the specifics of their latest offer they are accessing the store credit based on the cost of the frame which they say is $750. Their offer is small percentage of that cost. So they are offering it for the damage to the cost of the frame. I'm torn on this because it was an accident and they are stepping up. But to me if I was to try and sell the bike it wouldn't be worth half I paid now. Trek doesn't make them anymore.
    Last edited by Kevin McGrath; 04-24-2013 at 08:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Trek doesn't have any replacement frames at all or just none available right now? If you like your frame, you should be patient and wait out Trek. If you are curious about a new frame, tell your LBS to pony up for the replacement.
    Yes Trek now says no frame. I bought this bike because I liked the frame design. I had to drive to Dallas to find one.

Your Best Friend
    Your shop screwed up, it happens. You are left with a dented frame. It is now their problem and not yours. They need to replace the frame to your satisfaction and then they can try to sell the damaged frame, which they'll quickly find is severely discounted. You shouldn't be out at all in this situation. I ride a carbon frame and I can promise you, if they dented or cracked it, it'd be replaced immediately as my resale value would be absolutely zero. Just because your frame is still technically rideable, doesn't mean it shouldn't be replaced.

Riding rigid
    Mar 2007
    They should replace it with a frame of equivalent value, not just a partial. They were willing to replace the frame had Trek had one, but obviously they can't. If you had to warranty the frame and Trek didn't have one, they will offer a substitution frame, usually one of equivalent or better value.

But if you like the frame a lot, see if they can get someone to repair it, it is steel.

change is good
    Sep 2004

Damaged Trek Sawyer question

A friends alloy HiFi broke and they didn't have his size available. They replaced it with a carbon frame with no extra cost. Now this issue is caused by the dealer, but if the dealer is large volume they can ask Trek for a little help. Getting a repair quote might help. Just sayin.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin McGrath View Post
    Trek had committed to replacing the frame under warranty but then came back and said no more 17.5 ones are available or would be. So we down to some kind of other fix. Without going into the specifics of their latest offer they are accessing the store credit based on the cost of the frame which they say is $750. Their offer is small percentage of that cost. So they are offering it for the damage to the cost of the frame. I'm torn on this because it was an accident and they are stepping up. But to me if I was to try and sell the bike it wouldn't be worth half I paid now. Trek doesn't make them anymore.
    Kevin, can you update us on the outcome of your predicament? I'm curious because I have a 17.5" Sawyer frame and fork (in like new condition) that I'm looking to sell. Did you ever get a new frame from Trek, or are you riding your Sawyer with a dent.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by morton.tj View Post
    Kevin, can you update us on the outcome of your predicament? I'm curious because I have a 17.5" Sawyer frame and fork (in like new condition) that I'm looking to sell. Did you ever get a new frame from Trek, or are you riding your Sawyer with a dent.
    Looks like Kevin is a 'one and done' as he has not logged back on since the day he posted this. About the best you could do here is to send a PM. Shame the timing wasn't better.