mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Custom Groovy Cruiser stolen...bolo

Hey folks,

Please keep your eyes open for one of my customer's bikes that was stolen last night between midnight and 0200 from the after party at Vulture's Knob in Ohio.

Taken was Jason's Retro 29er. This is a one of a kind build and should be distinguishable even if rattlecanned or parted.

The bike spec...

Groovy retro frame; items that make it distinguishable - the frame uses a curved and ovalized top tube, custom drawn and tapered seat stays I have custom made for me, Dedda oval to round chainstays, and swinger dropouts. The seat tube uses a front pinch clamp. The head tube will have two offset holes, one high on the drive side, one low on the non-drive where the head badge was mounted, visible if removed. It is currently painted in an olive green and cream with a custom airbrushed pin up girl on the down tube, and "weathering" all over. "Jason" on the non-drive chainstay.

Groovy custom Ti unicrown fork - 1.125" blades with hooded dropouts

Groovy Ti Luv handle in 28" width

Thomson Elite stem and post in black (27.2)

Brooks Leather saddle and grips

Wheels are White Industry Eno hubs, DT black spokes, and Stan's 355 rims. Tires are Kenda Nevegals

White Industry Eno crank with 32T ring

Magura Marta SL brakes, the front lever has a bit of the carbon fractured off of the rear pivot section.

As you can guess, Jason is heart sick. If y'all see the bike or associated custom parts float up for sale, please drop me a line at rody@groovycycleworks.com

I am posting a reward for info leading to safe recovery.

Thanks,

rody
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Custom Groovy Cruiser stolen...bolo-jays-cruiser-side-small.jpg  

Custom Groovy Cruiser stolen...bolo-jays-cruiser-front-small.jpg  

Custom Groovy Cruiser stolen...bolo-jays-cruiser-girl-small.jpg  

As requested by the MTBR gods, I am the voice of Groovy Cycleworks, check it out... http://www.groovycycleworks.com

mtbr member
    Shame, beautiful bike!

mtbr member
    I sure hope the culprit is caught and punished to the full extent possible and that this beauty of a bike can be returned to the owner.

Really I am that slow
    bike thieves should be hanged!
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Super sickening news. Fingers crossed that it's recovered quickly and unharmed. I'd help look if I wasn't in CA.

mtbr member
    Death to all bike thieves!

That pin up girl is FTW in and of herself!

GL in finding that beaut!
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

metrotuned WoS
    Sorry to hear. Please tell me "Jason" had this bike properly locked with a minimum of a u-lock.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

jmw
    mtbr member
    sux

I've heard of stolen bikes showing up on craigslist before....

definitely a super sweet bike
    future nature

mtbr member
    Very sweet bike!
    I hope you catch him and pull his fingernails out one by one!

11 is one louder than 10
    Who is the redhead?

Hope you catch the thief.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

the new Gilbert Grape
    I really hope that the bike turns up. To wait so long for a bike and then to have it disappear so quickly is heartbreaking.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Avid Indoorsman
    good luck

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rody
    Please keep your eyes open for one of my customer's bikes that was stolen last night between midnight and 0200 from the after party at Vulture's Knob in Ohio.
    I was always amazed at how trusting people are at MTB events, often just laying their bike down in a crowd of strangers and walking away.

Here's to hoping the bike is found. That'd be a hard one to hide, for certain.
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.

mtbr member
    Rody...this totally ****ing sucks. I posted it on my FB page hoping some of the locals will spot it out there. Personally I think think this is one of the best examples of your work.

Larry

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the support guys.

Jason is spreading flyers in person and via email to most Ohio shops so hopefully a keen eye will prove an asset in the coming weeks.

fingers crossed,

rody
    As requested by the MTBR gods, I am the voice of Groovy Cycleworks, check it out... http://www.groovycycleworks.com

MTB B'dos
    Well fingers crossed he gets it back - bike thieves are scum.

Have to ask though, who rides a bike like this around town to lock up outside some bar for a late night party? I know I sure wouldn't that's why I have a "cheapie" rigid KM for, sure wouldn't park my nice FS 29er, full XT etc outside somewhere for an extended period where I couldn't keep an eye on it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    My heart is with the poor guy....Must make him miss sleep...

BTW, "after party" is not between 12am and 2am...That's just a "plain jane" party. The former starts with the crack of dawn and lasts until every drop of energy is spent.

When I hear of bike theft I alway wonder how the owner locked them up...or did they?
    Last edited by Climber999; 07-14-2010 at 10:59 AM.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Well fingers crossed he gets it back - bike thieves are scum.

Have to ask though, who rides a bike like this around town to lock up outside some bar for a late night party? I know I sure wouldn't that's why I have a "cheapie" rigid KM for, sure wouldn't park my nice FS 29er, full XT etc outside somewhere for an extended period where I couldn't keep an eye on it.
    Gents,
    Vulture's Knob is a private property MTB race course with wilderness camping. That night was likely a race followed by bon fire. The type of place where you'd normally be pretty comfortable with leaving some things out. I guess just not your bike.

-F