mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Custom bike buy or 2011 specialized rockhopper ltd 29er?

I'm debating between these two bikes, someone is selling the custom build locally so I could buy it... Please give me your thoughts on buying the new late model 2011 specialized rockhopper ltd 29er vs a used bike with the following specs below.

I am too much of a noob to know how these components compare and if this is overall a good deal. Both are about the same price (around $1200-$1400). I tested the rockhopper out and really liked it, yet to try out the other bike.

I tried to post the link to the rockhopper specs but don't have enough posts yet..

The more custom bike is:

2010 Gary Fisher Cobia 29er 19" loaded with the best NEW components! Platinum series 6066 hydroformed aluminum frame, G2 geometry, 19" seat tube, 23" c-c actual top tube length, 24 1/8" c-c effective top tube length. For the model year 2010, this was the top aluminum frameset that Fisher offered. FOX F29 32 RL fork, G2, with air adjustment, rebound adjust, lockout, 100mm travel. Cane Creek ZS-3 sealed bearing headset. The drivetrain is mostly made up of Shimano XT components. Shimano XT crankset 22/32 teeth chainrings with a Truvative polycarbonate bashguard. I will include the new never used XT 42 tooth chainring if you want the big gears. Shimano XT 9 speed shifters, XT Shadow rear derailleur, SRAM X9 front derailleur (only original part on bicycle), SRAM PG950 11-34 cassette, new chain. The brakes are the outstanding Avid BB7 mechanical discs, with 185mm front rotor, and a 160mm rear rotor, with Avid SD-7 levers and full length cable housings. The wheels are built with Shimano XT 6-bolt hubs, DT spokes, and Mach One 250 double wall, 32 hole rims. The fast rolling Kenda Small Block Eight DTC 2.1 tires still have a lot of tread left. The Bontrager Race X lite stem holds the Bontrager LowRiser bar in place securely, while the Ergon grips keep your hands and wrists happy. I put some pretty carbon spacers and a carbon stem top cap on because they look cool. Brand new Bontrager Rythym saddle, and a Bontrager SSR microadjust seat post. It is a visually stunning bicycle in LIKE-NEW condition. To duplicate this build would cost $2200 - $2300.

Thanks for any input

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ok, so by 'custom', the seller means that he upgraded all of the parts and not that its a custom frame.

If the frame fits you then its a good deal. I would ask him about the mileage in the parts to see if he moved old parts to the Cobia. Nevertheless, its a good deal on paper. And by that, I mean as long as there are no cracks/dents on frame, etc.

I cannot compare it to the Rockhopper because you did not post the specs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Yes, I think you are right...seller means he has made it custom with all of the components...Good thoughts on asking about transferring old parts to the Cobia. Do you think the specs of the parts listed are far better than the stock offerings on the 2011 specialized rockhopper ltd 29er?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Oh, and the specs to the Rockhopper to comapre to are below. It wouldn't allow me to post a URL just yet.

Thanks for any thoughts.

FRAME
    Specialized M4SL fully manipulated alloy frame, 29" geometry, fully butted, integrated HT, forged dropouts w/ replaceable derailleur hanger, disc only

FORK
    RockShox Recon Gold 29 SL, magnesium lower, 1-1/8" alloy steerer, 32mm alloy stanchions, solo air spring, Pop-Loc remote LO, external rebound adj.

HEADSET
    Integrated 1-1/8" threadless, Campy type full cartridge bearings

STEM
    3D forged alloy, 7 degree rise, 31.8mm clamp

HANDLEBARS
    Butted alloy riserbar, 25mm rise, 8 degree back sweep, 6 degree up

GRIPS
    Specialized Enduro, dual compound Kraton, no flange, 131mm

FRONT BRAKE
    Avid Juicy 3 SL hydraulic disc, alloy backed pads, 160mm G2 Clean Sweep Rotor
    REAR BRAKE
    Avid Juicy 3 SL hydraulic disc, alloy backed pads, 160mm G2 Clean Sweep Rotor

BRAKE LEVERS
    Avid Juicy 3 SL hydraulic

FRONT DERAILLEUR
    Shimano SLX, 34.9mm clamp, top swing, dual pull

REAR DERAILLEUR
    Shimano XT 10 sp Shadow Long cage
    SHIFT LEVERS

Shimano SL-M660-10, SLX rapid fire
    CASSETTE

Shimano HG81, 10-speed, 11-34t
    CHAIN
    Shimano HG74, directional

CRANKSET
    Shimano FC-M552, 2pc., cartridge bearing outboard BB

CHAINRINGS
    44A replaceable

BOTTOM BRACKET
    see crankset

PEDALS
    Alloy 1pc. body and cage, reflector kit, 9/16"

RIMS
    DT-Swiss 485, 29", alloy double wall disc, pinned w/ eyelets
    FRONT HUB
    Forged alloy, hi/low flange, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount and flange, QR, 32h
    REAR HUB
    Forged alloy, mid flange, double sealed, ground race, machined disc mount and flanges, cassette, QR, 36h
    SPOKES
    2mm (14g) stainless

FRONT TIRE
    Specialized The Captain Control, 29x2.0", 60TPI, tubeless ready aramid bead
    REAR TIRE
    Specialized The Captain Control, 29x2.0", 60TPI, tubeless ready aramid bead

INNER TUBES
    Presta valve

SADDLE
    Specialized Rockhopper XC, Body Geometry, 143mm width, front and rear bumpers

SEATPOST
    Alloy two bolt, 12.5mm offset, micro adjust, 30.9mm

SEAT BINDER
    Forged alloy QR, brass washer

mtbr member
    I'd go for: 1) best fit
    2) best wheelset
    maladroitus extraordinairus

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    i just rode the specialized today and i wasnt that pleased with it

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Yeah, I'm glad that I went with the used bike...But just wasn't sure if the components really added up to $2200 or $2300...