Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

the crow is in

8K views 79 replies 31 participants last post by  1strongone1 
#1 ·
stock

#77 ·
Going for the full effect

2melow said: I'm really excited about trying these tires...especially after hearing the first reports.
I can always throw them on my current wheels (speedcity) but I am building up a pair of Stans olympic hoops to get the real experience. Can't wait!

Mine came 2 days ago. I went nuts and bought Stan's ZTR rims and sealant, too. (picture dollars with wings on them, flying away...) I'm not going to mount the crows on my old wheels either. I want to be blown out by the change. I'm waiting for the spokes to get here. LBS with a Phil Woods machine wanted 3 bucks a spoke! Yeah, $200 for spokes. That's a real deal. So I wait for the Brown Truck. Riding on Klaws for the time being. Methinks the Crows/ZTRs/notubes will be a wee improvement in the zoom factor...

#78 ·
I will post my thoughts

I just put a set of crows on my bike yesterday and dropped my bike weight by 1/2 a pound.I really don't care about the weight if the traction suffers. I pride myself in cleaning every section I ride, so I put these tires on for a trial basis. It has been pretty wet around here and the humidity is also making the trails a little tricky. I went on a group ride with about 12 people, 3 of which are really good riders. There are 4 sections on our trails that continually give even the best riders a challenge to clean. I cleaned all 4 with the crows and none of the other riders cleaned them. The Crows also stick really well in the corners and I had no problems with them on the ride. I am not trying to float my own boat, I am just simply tying to state that the Crow's performed really well on their first trip out.

I am running them tubeless and you can really feel the stiffness of the sidewall. I ran my Ignitors and Fast Traks at 20 pounds in the front and 22 in the rear. In really rocks sections I could feel the sidewalls squishing and on few times I could feel rocks push upward into the rim. The crows I am running the same pressures, but it feels like a lot more. The sidewall is so stiff, I don't feel any give. I am dropping the pressure to 18 front and 20 rear today and see how they work.

Our trails are mostly single track with some roots and rocks. If you have some time and want to check out the terrain, you can go here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=198189

By no means is this terrain like Colorado or Arizona, but in the midwest I think these tires work really well. Time will tell with varying conditions and wear, but after the first ride I give them 2 thumbs up.

#79 ·
1strongone1 said:
I just put a set of crows on my bike yesterday and dropped my bike weight by 1/2 a pound.I really don't care about the weight if the traction suffers. I pride myself in cleaning every section I ride, so I put these tires on for a trial basis. It has been pretty wet around here and the humidity is also making the trails a little tricky. I went on a group ride with about 12 people, 3 of which are really good riders. There are 4 sections on our trails that continually give even the best riders a challenge to clean. I cleaned all 4 with the crows and none of the other riders cleaned them. The Crows also stick really well in the corners and I had no problems with them on the ride. I am not trying to float my own boat, I am just simply tying to state that the Crow's performed really well on their first trip out.

I am running them tubeless and you can really feel the stiffness of the sidewall. I ran my Ignitors and Fast Traks at 20 pounds in the front and 22 in the rear. In really rocks sections I could feel the sidewalls squishing and on few times I could feel rocks push upward into the rim. The crows I am running the same pressures, but it feels like a lot more. The sidewall is so stiff, I don't feel any give. I am dropping the pressure to 18 front and 20 rear today and see how they work.

Our trails are mostly single track with some roots and rocks. If you have some time and want to check out the terrain, you can go here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=198189

By no means is this terrain like Colorado or Arizona, but in the midwest I think these tires work really well. Time will tell with varying conditions and wear, but after the first ride I give them 2 thumbs up.
Great report.

What rims are you using and how difficult/easy was the airing up of the Crows with your set?

Bike29.com has this wheelset on their site:

=====
Bike 29 A.Y.K.M. Wheelset - $795.00

One of the lightest, strongest and most reliable wheelsets you can lay your hands on
These wheels are handbuilt by our Master Wheelbuilder, one set at a time. Meticulously trued, tensioned, stressed, retentioned, stressed, trued......
Stan's ZTR 355 rim, with black DT Super Comp triple butted spokes and DT 240 IS 6-bolt disc hubs.
Front weighs 779g, rear is 902g, both with tape, Stan's rim strip and valve stem.
Wheel QRs not included.
=====

Add in a pair of Crows and the sealant for a lightweight racing set worthy of certain trails...

BB

#80 ·
BruceBrown said:
Great report.

What rims are you using and how difficult/easy was the airing up of the Crows with your set?

Bike29.com has this wheelset on their site:

=====
Bike 29 A.Y.K.M. Wheelset - $795.00

One of the lightest, strongest and most reliable wheelsets you can lay your hands on
These wheels are handbuilt by our Master Wheelbuilder, one set at a time. Meticulously trued, tensioned, stressed, retentioned, stressed, trued......
Stan's ZTR 355 rim, with black DT Super Comp triple butted spokes and DT 240 IS 6-bolt disc hubs.
Front weighs 779g, rear is 902g, both with tape, Stan's rim strip and valve stem.
Wheel QRs not included.
=====

Add in a pair of Crows and the sealant for a lightweight racing set worthy of certain trails...

BB
Thanks,

Stans olympic ztr using a floor pump and it was as easy as pumping up a tubed tire.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.