COMBO - President

cross post: Rode the new Niner Carbon Air 9

Big thanks to Mike from Niner, who came to rainy Columbus, Ohio to demo Niner bikes. He had with him a just built up Carbon Air 9 which I got to ride.

Really light, felt strong and solid, not flexy at all. I ride a small frame so it was a bit big on me but classic Niner geometry. Pulling hard on the pedals was just super fast with no real flex at all. Bumps were not too rough. I have not ridden the new fork and was surprised it felt so good, just a bit of damping.

So, the bad news is no small frames in 2010. The molds are super expensive and they need to sell lots of mediums and larges before any smalls will be made.

I would consider buying one though. I have a RIP and a Jet on the way already, adding this beauty to the stable would round things out nicely.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic
    Last edited by FASTK; 05-03-2010 at 02:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I also wanted to thank Mike for letting me ride the air carbon as well . Bike felt great. Great power transfer, super light, extremely responsive and super smooth for a HT. It is definitely making me rethink my stance on carbon frames.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is that true about the small? I have a teammate waiting on a small frame.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    Is that true about the small? I have a teammate waiting on a small frame.
    Yes.
    Latest ETA:
    Medium - July
    Large - September
    Small and XL - end of the year/early next year
    Some spanish guys talked to Niner rep's in Italy on lake Garda this weekend. Here is the link (use google translate if spanish is not your lingo):

http://ibikemechanic.blogspot.com/20...et9-en-la.html

Custom Wheelbuilder
    Wow! that frame/fork combo is absolutely seamless. What a beautiful rig. I like the spoke color choice. Very stylish.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Is that a tapered fork on it as well, I cant tell?
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

COMBO - President
    Yes it was tapered

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojos Azules
    Yes.
    Latest ETA:
    Medium - July
    Large - September
    Small and XL - end of the year/early next year
    Some spanish guys talked to Niner rep's in Italy on lake Garda this weekend. Here is the link (use google translate if spanish is not your lingo):

http://ibikemechanic.blogspot.com/20...et9-en-la.html
    Wow. I really liked my MCR but it seems like niner has really been over promising and under delivering lately. Seems like with any ETA niner gives you need to immediately add a year. That's worse than most of the over promising custom frame builders.

Glad I didn't wait around for this frame... if the molds were so expensive then maybe they should've factored that into the equation before promising everyone frames early this year. XLs not available until next year!?.. wow, seems like that cuts a large chunk out of the taller crowd (big part of the 29er market). If it really is going to take that long then putting the Ti frame on the backburner was a BAD business move... guessing they could've actually produced those by this point in the year. Niner makes great frames, but they need to gain some business sense if they want to keep loyal customers. Hopefully they'll at least stop with these horrible ETAs. I'd be one angry customer had I ordered an XL earlier this year. The plan to use it as a race frame for this season has now become impossible to nearly all of the frame's target market.

LCW
    mtbr member
    the whole industry is screwed up this year... Fisher is completely sold out of its Superfly production for 2010... not a single one left anywhere... and it's only May!!
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 31.3 lbs

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MI_canuck
    the whole industry is screwed up this year... Fisher is completely sold out of its Superfly production for 2010... not a single one left anywhere... and it's only May!!
    At least fisher had some frames to sell. If not apparent from my last post, I'm bitter over niner dropping the Ti offering for this wunderkarbon bike that is practically vaporware.

COMBO - President
    For vaporware it sure rode nice, have a little patience.

Did I catch a niner?
    I'm surprised the Niner team has not been on one of these or at least I have not seen them. I figured Fuzzy would be all over one of these.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

COMBO - President
    It was brand spanking new, first ride by anyone.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
    I'm surprised the Niner team has not been on one of these or at least I have not seen them. I figured Fuzzy would be all over one of these.
    They have been on them. Fuzzy, Tim Allen, and DeeJay were all riding Carbon Air 9's at Sea Otter...and I think they were on them at least a month before that as well.

i don't give a shift
    Some lucky dudes have been able to test ride one at the Riva del Garda festival.