mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Creaking sound from headtube area.

Basically I noticed a odd creaking sound when I stand and sprint. Not sure how this has happened... The bike I'm riding is Giant xtc 29er carbon. Its a year old now. If I hold the brakes and step on the peddle and apply pressure with the bike tilted, a creak is heard. Then I try it on the other side, same thing. What can be the issue? Is the carbon weak already? :S

mtbr member
    Time for maintenance. Basic disassembly and regreasing everything, including chainring bolts and pedals.

mtbr member
    Could be that the bar isn't secure in the stem clamp, or headset is a bit loose. Either of these are common causes for creaks in the headset area, but also easy to fix.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Really? Even when I put pressure on the peddle with the bike on an angle? It wouldn't be the frame? I had my hand on the downtube that's linked with the headtube. When the creak happens I feel a bit viberating in that area. Ah I'm so confused... The bike flexes when I put pressure down too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I even removed the fork... Cleaned it and greased it up nice even the bearings. I used 5nm to tighten the star nut. Is it to much maybe? Just worried the carbon is weak or something lol

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If it's a Fox fork get used to it.

mtbr member
    What JCL said. I'm betting it's a Fox fork too. Creaking in the CSU assembly. Fox will replace it no questions asked if it's still under warranty and might even replace it if it's out of warranty since it's a known issue. I'm on my third set in a year from them and this last time they hooked me up with Kashima stanchions and gave me a 2014 damper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    5 nm is to much for the star nut. I usually go
    15 to 20 inch pounds.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

I have had this come and go with a few carbon and alloy bikes. Tried steel shims and nylon shims and all sorts but seems to have sorted itself out eventually, not sure if its a fee cleans / regreases (each time I tried a new shim) or its grease on the steerer/different spacer use, grease on spacers made it go away. /me thinks the trouble lies with spacers in the end tbh...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2009

Quote Originally Posted by timmaayyy View Post
    What JCL said. I'm betting it's a Fox fork too. Creaking in the CSU assembly. Fox will replace it no questions asked if it's still under warranty and might even replace it if it's out of warranty since it's a known issue. I'm on my third set in a year from them and this last time they hooked me up with Kashima stanchions and gave me a 2014 damper.
    100% your issue with regards to creak And CSU.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by timmaayyy View Post
    You think it's the fork? I even replaced it twice already within a few months! Fox is terrible! Never buying another fork from them I swear. First time it had premature wear on stanchions. Sent it back, got a new one. The new one started to wear again within a month of usage, normal usage I must say. It's sort of ridiculous :S