Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 29 vs Mavic C29ssmax 29er Wheelsets

I'm looking for a light weight disc 29er wheelsetin the $900 range. I've norrowed it down to the Cobalt 3 29er and the C29ssmax. I want a wheelset with no holes in the rim so I can set it up tubeless using non UST 29er tyres with sealant. I'm 200lbs and mostly ride cross country on weekends. Does anybody have any experience with either of these wheelsets? Which one is stronger and stiffer and requires less maintenace? Any other recommendations besides these two?

http://crankbrothers.com/wheel_tech_cobalt3_29.php

http://www.mavic.com/en/product/whee...heels/C29ssmax

Cassoulet forever !
    There is already a thread on this very topic. Do a search.
    You will find taht most, inculding myself, prefer the mavic whellset.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    There's also the Fulcrum sets,but i don't have more info...

mtbr member
    Also the Easton EA90 XCs. UST and weigh ~200g less than the Mavics.

Superflying on Haven
    Well it's a quiet morning at work... let's spend some time replying...

I bought a C29ssmax wheelset in October 2007 and still riding it. 1755 grams actual weight (830 front and 925 rear). I never had a broken spoke, only one that is slightly bent after it has been hit by a big rock. They never been trued. I changed the bearings in the rear hub but not in the front because I replaced the 9mm axle wheel with a 20mm maxle. Much stiffer, tracks better. The 9mm axle wheel is actually a 15mm hub with caps so there was a little lateral movement that I hated. So much that the spokes were rubbing against the Avid Juicy 7 front caliper. Problem solved when I bought Hayes brakes with narrower calipers. I've been successful to install and ride any non UST tires I had. (Bontrager Jones, Kenda Karma, Maxxis Ignitor, Schwalbe Furious Fred and Rocket Ron, Stan's the Crow, Kenda Small block 8). No leak, no blowoff, with two scoops of Stan's sealant.

The only problem I had with the C29ssmax is the crappy plastic bushing installed in the original freehub (Mavic is getting a lot of hate in the posts because of that). It broke after a year. Fortunalety, my lbs replaced it with a new freehub body that has metal ring instead. No more problem since 2008. Cleanin and greasing the rear hub is the only maintenance I do mysef from time to time.

I weight 185lbs. Unless your are looking for a superlight wheelset in the 1550-1600 grams range I think the C229ssmax leads the pack. Super strong, super stiff, silky smooth bearings, durable.

I don't work for Mavic although my avatar shows a mad frog. I just really like their wheels.

Superflying on Haven
    Also the Easton EA90 XCs. UST and weigh ~200g less than the Mavics.
    Sorry, but you are wrong. Until recently, Easton has posted that their weight is 1560 grams but if you go on the web site now it is written 1697 grams. Only 58 grams less thant the Mavics with likely smaller spokes than the fat-ass zicral (1560 is now the weight posted for the 26er wheelset...)

transmitter~receiver
    the holes in the rim thing should be low on your priority list for tubeless conversion of non-UST tires.
    UST beads are not that great for converting non-UST tires. some people have success, many more do not. fact of the matter is that UST beads were designed for tubeless use with UST tires and for use with tubes with regular tires. Stan's rims are far better at converting regular tires, since that's what they were designed to do.
    and since you asked, for $900 you can get a lighter, more serviceable, stiffer, stronger wheelset with FAR better hubs and easier tubeless conversion of non-UST tires than either of those wheelsets. if you want to spend all that money, Chris King + Stan's Arch would fit the bill at about the same weight and be very strong. Hope Pro II hubs you could do for less money and they are lighter. Also, I weigh more than you do and ride 355's (lighter than the Arch) hard on rocky terrain at very low pressure with no complaints.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Menzo View Post
    W I replaced the 9mm axle wheel with a 20mm maxle. Much stiffer, tracks better.

can a 20mm maxle work in "standard" fork dropouts?

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by head View Post
    No... he had to change forks, which added another variable to the equation, muddling the conclusion a bit.

Also, according to Mavic, there was no 20mm TA C29ssmax prior to 2009. The one that is now available is not convertible to any other format. In 2009 Mavic changed the C29ssmax front hub to a design that is 15mm TA with end caps for 9mm q/r, so converting between the two is just a matter of removing the end caps.

Menzo-
    I'm curious about your conversion, since it directly contradicts what I've been told by Mavic. Wouldn't be the first time a mfr got something wrong, but also having seen and worked on the hubs, I don't understand how you could convert any 9mm C29ssmax hub to 20mm TA... especially a pre-2009.

Superflying on Haven
    Yes but you need to buy 9mm caps for 20mm hubs. Check that link...

http://www.mavic.com/en/wheels/mount...-For-20mm-Axle

transmitter~receiver

How do those plugs handle the spacing difference (110mm standard for 20mm TA vs. 100mm standard for 9mm q/r)?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

ok. now i'm totally confused. that looks like i would still be using a 9mm qr skewer.

so if i want something more robust than a 9mm skewer but i have a fork with standard dropouts, is there anything i can do? (i mean other than replace the fork.)

mtbr member
    hi
    Ive been doing some research about wheels for some time as I wanted to upgrede my GF mamba, read some bad reviews about the CBs cobalt 29, althouhg its price ($~500/600), I wouldn t buy them. Had placed an order in CRC for fulcrum 29sl (less than $300) but cancelled my order after continuous "out of stock item" mails. Finally came up with shimano mt75 29 tubeless ($450), they arrive tomorrow, cant wait to test them!

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by head View Post
    ok. now i'm totally confused. that looks like i would still be using a 9mm qr skewer.

so if i want something more robust than a 9mm skewer but i have a fork with standard dropouts, is there anything i can do? (i mean other than replace the fork.)
    the short answer is that to change axle formats you have to change forks.
    a different type of skewer might help some (e.g., Shimano internal cam or DT Swiss RWS), but they are still going to be skewers, which actually have a diameter of 5mm (the 9mm is the outside diameter of the tabs on the hub).

Superflying on Haven
    I don't understand how you could convert any 9mm C29ssmax hub to 20mm TA... especially a pre-2009
    It's impossible. I sold the 9mm front wheel and replaced it with 20mm TA. However, going from 20mm TA to 9mm would be possible with end caps as it is possible to go from 15mm TA to 9mm with end caps

How do those plugs handle the spacing difference (110mm standard for 20mm TA vs. 100mm standard for 9mm q/r)?
    That is a good question. I don't have the answer but I guess there is a way to do it.

Otherwise, why is Mavic selling these 20mm to 9mm caps...

Superflying on Haven
    Well I think the end caps are made only for the Mavic Crossline wheelset.

You have to buy a new fork fab4...

transmitter~receiver
    It's impossible. I sold the 9mm front wheel and replaced it with 20mm TA.
    gotcha. i misunderstood.
    However, going from 20mm TA to 9mm would be possible with end caps as it is possible to go from 15mm TA to 9mm with end caps
    Except for the 100/110 spacing issue, which isn't a factor for the 15mm TA format.
    Otherwise, why is Mavic selling these 20mm to 9mm caps...
    another good question...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Saw the prototype 29ers from Mavic that resememble the crossmax Slr. Really nice but will probably be more then the $900 budget.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Fulcrum Red Metal 29 XL.

Costs between a Mavic Crossmax 29 and a Easton EA90. Weight is the same as Mavic, but no questions with freehub bushes (like Mavic) or loose (like Easton).

High end wheels performance and finish, trouble free and zero maintenance questions.

mtbr member
    Sorry, but you are wrong. Until recently, Easton has posted that their weight is 1560 grams but if you go on the web site now it is written 1697 grams. Only 58 grams less thant the Mavics with likely smaller spokes than the fat-ass zicral (1560 is now the weight posted for the 26er wheelset...)
    wow. ok. hope you feel better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Both are good

Quote Originally Posted by fab4 View Post
    I'm looking for a light weight disc 29er wheelsetin the $900 range. I've norrowed it down to the Cobalt 3 29er and the C29ssmax. I want a wheelset with no holes in the rim so I can set it up tubeless using non UST 29er tyres with sealant. I'm 200lbs and mostly ride cross country on weekends. Does anybody have any experience with either of these wheelsets? Which one is stronger and stiffer and requires less maintenace? Any other recommendations besides these two?

This is a post right up my alley. I have both the crossmax and the cobalt 3 in my garage right now. I have put probably 500 miles on the crossmax and another 500 on the original cobalts. I sold the original cobalts this past sunday and I literally got the cobalt 3 on tuesday and have maybe 25 miles on them.

As for the differences. The crossmax is a great feeling wheel it is stiff and agile. The cobalt 3 feels a bit lighter and a bit more lively. The cobalt feels like it just wants to get up and go whereas the crossmax feels like it wants you to start hammering away on it.

As for durability, they are also a push so far. I never had any issue with the crossmax's or the original cobalts. I have noticed the Cobalt 3 does have a much quieter rear hub then the original which is very nice. I also believe Crank Brothers has addressed the bearing issue with the cobalt 3. The front comes in either a 15 thru or a 9mm qr, I do not see how the three can have the interchangeablility that the original cobalt did. I am okay with this update because the front hub seems to react quicker on the 3's.

I only sold the original cobalts because I sodl the bike they were on. I personally like the cobalt's better than the crossmax but I feel they both are going to be a very reliable XC wheelset.

FYI, with getting the cobalt #'s, I will have the Crossmax's up for sale within the next week.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Im running on American Classics. They build up very light

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    You should check out my 29er build on another thread

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I think it is the thread about posting bike pics and costs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Total bike weight is 17.5 pounds, for a 29er!!! Sweet, one of the fastest 29ers ever built

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast