MTB Prodigy

Crank Bros Cobalt 2 29er vs stock Stan's Crest

I'm looking for a new wheelset for next season. I do some XC racing and I'm 165 w/o gear.I also do some trail riding as well, so I'm hoping for a wheel to do both. As far as advertised weight is concerned the Stan's are lighter, but I've heard some issues with the rim strength.

I've heard pretty good things about the CB rim strength, but I haven't heard many direct reviews. Has anybody ridden these new wheels?

Stan's has a lot of good stuff, so I'm a little curious on feedback on the rim strength. I don't want to be buying an extra wheelset.
    Get out and ride!

Jake

MTB Prodigy
    btw, I ride a 2006 GF Paragon...that's something that should be mentioned as well
    Get out and ride!

Jake

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm looking for some info on these as well. what about going to the arch? Adds a little weight but supposed to be much stronger.

mtbr member
    check these:MTB 29 TUBELESS

I've been running over a year- light and strong!
    "Be Good or Be Good at it"

mtbr member
    The problem I have seen with CB wheels is the proprietary spokes. I have been very happy with my Crest wheels after a season of racing and riding in the mountains quite a bit. The Crest are quite a bit lighter then the CB as well which is an added bonus.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

The Unbeliever
    I'm also 165 and ride the Crests on my carbon SS. Love these wheels and they've stayed true. However, I'm more of a finesse rider than a shredder.
    On the one hand it's who you know, and over here you got favoritism - H.I. McDonough

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I myself am about to get the cobalt 2s for next racing season. I weigh 185lbs w/o gear so the crest limited to 190lbs scares me off. I ride hard don't want to worry about wheel weight limits while bombing down a hill. I have seen the cobalts in person and they look great, very well built.

MTB Prodigy
    -I thought about the Arch as well, but for the time being my debate is between the Cobalts and the Crests

-As far as Am Classic is concerned, I've heard good things about them as well, but I don't have direct access to them.

-The proprietary spokes are an issue I'm willing to deal with, I'll prolly buy a spoke kit on the off chance something happens

-Good to hear, I'm would like to be more of a finesse rider, but I'm still developing my skills
    Get out and ride!

Jake

MTB Prodigy
    That's sweet, I like the look as well and I've heard they're pretty strong
    Get out and ride!

Jake

MTB Prodigy
    Get out and ride!

Jake

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Not to say you should not sell your wheels, but check your Trek dealer agreement before you put them on ebay and advertise them on here as a Trek dealer. They are kinda funny about that kind of stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fubbaquestor View Post
    -I thought about the Arch as well, but for the time being my debate is between the Cobalts and the Crests

-The proprietary spokes are an issue I'm willing to deal with, I'll prolly buy a spoke kit on the off chance something happens
    Girl I ride with busted a spoke and it took CB 3 weeks to get the spoke to her. She weighs 110 and it was her first race on the wheels she had only had for 2 weeks.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

MTB Prodigy
    theyre my used wheels....cant sell those thru a store
    Get out and ride!

Jake

usually cranky
    ive read some reports of cb freehubs crapping out, they may have sorted it out though.

mtbr member
    I have had a set of Cobalt 2's for about 2 months now, with no issues. For the cost they have been a pleasant surprise and they feel very comparable to my c29ssmax. There was a problem when I first got them, the front wheel had a hole in the inner rim that would leak air, but CB took care of things quickly and I haven't had any issues since. I did a ton of reading about the Cobalt's before I bought because I had heard about the rear hub failures too. Turns out the problems were with the first design which only lasted through half of the first years production. I weigh in between 190 and 195 RTR and have them on my FS 29er, I mention the FS part only because I ride with more reckless abandon than when I'm on my HT, the wheels have stayed true as they day they came out of the box. There is a frustrating little design "flaw" that no one seems to mention about these wheels, front caliper clearance is nill. I was going to put them on my race bike, but I run a 160mm rotor on the front and the caliper (Elixir) wouldn't clear the spokes. The solution was either a pile of shims or a 180mm rotor, which is what I run on my FS.

That said, my wife's new bike is getting a set of Crests with Stans house hubs to shave a few extra grams (and to keep our Spearfish's from looking completely identical). She only weighs 135# RTR and is the opposite of aggressive.

MTB Prodigy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob12676 View Post
    There is a frustrating little design "flaw" that no one seems to mention about these wheels, front caliper clearance is nill. I was going to put them on my race bike, but I run a 160mm rotor on the front and the caliper (Elixir) wouldn't clear the spokes. The solution was either a pile of shims or a 180mm rotor, which is what I run on my FS.
    Interesting...I would like to know if anybody else has had that issue with a 160 mm
    Get out and ride!

Jake

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've run Crests on my Anthem all season, including a 7 day stage race (fairly rocky, in PA), most of the trails in northern VT, a bunch of classic stuff in Moab (slickrock, yada) and more importantly a lot of riding and several XC races on the rock and root pits that pass for trails around here (Atlantic Canada) where the standard 'trail bike' seems to be 140+ mm bikes like Reigns. I haven't put a spoke wrench to the wheels. I'm 175lbs. I've also seen plenty of pros running debadged Crests at gnarly races, fwiw.

They definitely are not AM rims (they feel rather flexy in high torque situations, and I wouldn't try a landspeed record on Whole Enchilada on Crests, nohow!) but are plenty strong given their weight and 32 spokes.

On a bomber trail bike that leans to all-mountain, I like Flows. If speed and lots of 'up' is in the equation, Crests are good in my book.

Nothing against the Cobalts, as I have no experience on them. Have run Iodines on demos and lender bikes, which were OK, but for my own bikes I like regular spokes.

MTB Prodigy
    Thats pretty good to know...i still don't feel fully confident with the crests as an everyday wheelset tho, I may end up going with an arch set or a cobalt set. If i can get another set however, that may be a rocking race wheelset!
    Get out and ride!

Jake

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    CB rims are a fairly soft material. I dented one within a few rides, no more for me.

Crest are light for sure, you can always order a set with stiffer/stronger spokes to up the weight limit a bit. Are you capable of loosing 10lbs?

There are new Arches for 2012 that will be wider, lighter, and stronger than the current version. They are called Arch EX. 50gr per rim heavier than the Crest.

Since you're looking for opinions, mine is go with Stan's
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    After more research I think I am going with stans archs wheelset with white rims. The cobalts have to many issues for me. Anybody know where I could get the best price?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Go with the Stan's crest or if you are a heavier rider go with the Stan's Arch.

My lbs convinced me to go with the Cobalt 2's. On my third ride on level ground it felt like the front wheel gave out on me on a tight curve and I went over the handle bars. I thought it was no big deal until i realized my front wheel was taco'ed. I sent the wheel back for warranty through the lbs.

I got a call from Crank Bros stating that the "crash damage" was going to cost me $130 which I paid to get the wheel back. They also stated that I was too heavy for the wheel and "common sense" would tell me that these are light weight cross country tires and I should not ride them since I weight 220. "Common sense" should have told me that the max weight of the rider is 175 lbs although nowhere is it published what the weight limit is. Now I have wheels that I can not use that cost me a lot of money.

I posted a review as well. For a light weight rider the wheels are pretty good but I am 6'2" and there is no way I can get down to 175lbs and I am stuck with wheels I can't use. I am going to try to ebay them I guess.

mtbr member
    The best thing I EVER did was put Stans Archs on my 29er. Great hubs, strong wheels, and worry free! I am 168lbs
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

-jon
    Apr 2012
    another wheel to consider is the rolf ralos 6 or 9. For those of you that are not aware Rolf makes very strong light weight road bike wheels. This past year they came out with their mountain bike wheel. With stans no tubes they created a 25mm wide tubless ready tire. 24 spoke very strong and light. Rolf has a great reputation for strong wheels. I have been racing/riding them this whole season and have loved them. They dropped a whole lot of weight off my bike too. Rolf Prima - Products - Ralos