mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Cracked my Jet9 top tube weld area

this is in no way a negative post for niner jet9. in fact the opposite.

i got this frame when they first came out with this design and have been riding way more then the average rider on rougher than xc trails. very surprised it lasted this long. used not abused riding and racing.

i don't do big jumps or drop offs, but have never shyed away from a rocky or steep trail.

i am contacting niner today. they offered a replacement frame when they did their recall even though my frame was not in the serial numbers that was recalled. i opted to wait and see if it would break and it did not(until now)

i am confident with their past record and customer service that i will get a replacement. this is just to document for others thinking of getting a jet9 that it is totally worth it.

more specs:
    fox f29 fork set to 100mm
    5'9", 160lbs, not afraid to ride/race my attitude.
    crack is just behind the front triangle gusset weld on the top tube
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cracked my Jet9 top tube weld area-018.jpg  

Cracked my Jet9 top tube weld area-023.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i am now confused

Warrior's Society
    Per Niner's Website in regards to warranty:

Niner Bikes will warranty all non-carbon fiber frames and parts for material
    defects and workmanship for a minimum period of two (2) years from the
    date of purchase for the original owner only
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Do you have any other information about the recall? I may have one of the older jet9 frames... and if I can get a new one, I will.

mtbr member
    In for resolution.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That is the recalled frame. Maybe there was a hard to read serial number. You should not have been riding that. The gusset on the non recalled frames are smooth welds.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

NMBP
    Yep, that is exactly where mine broke. (Mine only lasted six months) I turned it in to Niner about two weeks before they issued the recall. I would imagine that they would take care of you, they have great CS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    took this long to get replacement frame. niner even sent me an email saying it will take a long time to get a frame out.

i got itchy to ride so i bought a jet9 frame off a friend after a week of not riding. now i have this brand new frame that i need to sell. what do you think is a fair price? the frame i bought off friend was $1000.00 and basically unridden. i could just sell this new one for that price......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cracked my Jet9 top tube weld area-img_5115.jpg  

Cracked my Jet9 top tube weld area-img_5120.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ascarlarkinyar View Post
    took this long to get replacement frame. niner even sent me an email saying it will take a long time to get a frame out.

i got itchy to ride so i bought a jet9 frame off a friend after a week of not riding. now i have this brand new frame that i need to sell. what do you think is a fair price? the frame i bought off friend was $1000.00 and basically unridden. i could just sell this new one for that price......
    I would think you could get $1100 for it easily. The cheapest I can find the frame online is $1250. But if you're talking about something you've got for sale on these forums, you should really buy a $1 ad so you don't ruffle any feathers.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    i don't think i will list it here. just wondering about price. probably just list it on local craigslist or other forum that does not charge money to list.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    I would build up the new one and have your full warrenty and sell off the one that you have only ridden a little bit. Glad to hear that they have taken car of you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_crackien View Post
    I would build up the new one and have your full warrenty and sell off the one that you have only ridden a little bit. Glad to hear that they have taken car of you!

there is no warranty on replacement frames. i don't think there will be a problem with the new frame. the old one cracked at the weld that was done improperly, hence the recall.