mtbr member
    Oct 2010

cracked gary fisher genesis 2.0

So this weekend I found a gary fisher genesis 2.0 at a swap. The frame is cracked at the seatpost but I'm sure I can fix it. I never had a Gary fisher bike before so I have some questions. Do the frames have a lifetime warranty if so is it worth while to try and contact trek for a replacement frame ? Does anyone know what kind of aluminum tubing is used. Has anyone had any luck welding a cracked aluminum frame ? I'll post some pictures as soon as I can .

Master of Beat
    Lifetime warrenty, but only to original owner.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Probably not worth the effort...

Living the thug life.
    You can find a local welder that can fix that up for you. You may need to ream the seattube when done.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Why would you say its not worth the effort I'm going to weld it myself. Are you saying its not possible to repair aluminum frames ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dpugh5 View Post
    Why would you say its not worth the effort I'm going to weld it myself. Are you saying its not possible to repair aluminum frames ?
    welding is cheap....but getting it Heat Treated could be the costly part....

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    Give it a try. Worst case scenario you lost whatever you paid for it. Best case scenario you get an awesome frame dirt cheap.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well, the worst case scenario is that he gets impaled by a broken top tube when the frame cracks in half But, that's worst case. The likely scenario is that you weld it, it warps, you ream it and have a loose fitting seat. You then ride it for a year or so and it cracks again at the weld interface. The cost of heat treating a single frame is what generally makes aluminum frames irreparable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yeah I don't really knom metallurgy of aluminum. What is the stress releiving process does anyone know. It's 6066 I can't find any information on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well, your biggest problem isn't stress relieving. It's tempering. The finished frame is likely in a T6 temper(strong). The area near the weld will be in a T0 state(weak). You'll need to temper the whole frame to bring it back to full hardness. Then you'll have to repaint it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Alright I can most likely temper it myself that calls for a 990f then water quench but a t6 requires a stress relief process 350f for 6-8 hours I don't have an oven big enough for that. Welding is looking like less of a solution and more of a problem.

mtbr member
    just curious how many times a frame has to fail at the same location before the manufacturer admits to it being a design or manufacturing flaw and modifies the bikes warranty to include all owners?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm not sure that they care besides when the frame breaks that means its time to buy a new bike. I know that cracking at the seatpost is a common problem with aluminum frames

mtbr member
    ok, I had the same thing happen to a gf frame i bought second hand. I had a freind weld it up and then learned about the problem that the lack of heat treating brings. I have since gotten a replacement frame, but I have thought about how to fix it. Here is what i would do if I wanted to get that frame up and running again:
    First take care of the crack. if you weld it you will kill the heat treatment and actually weaken the frame. Instead use JB Weld it is a super strong epoxy that works really well. before applying the epoxy you need to drill a small hole at each end of the crack. this prevents the crack from spreading. I know sound like it would make things worse, but it helps. After you have drilled it out rough up the area surrounding the crack (for sure remove all paint) and throw a bead of JB Weld in it.
    Next you need to reinforce the seatpost/seat tube interface. Notice how the seat tube gets bigger after the downtube junction? seems like a design flaw to me because all of the stress is on the very top part of the tube and doesn't transfer to the rest of the tube. So, I would pack some paper into the seat tube so that it is fairly sealed off, you dont have to pack it hard, just enough to keep the epoxy from draining down the tube. then you get several tubes of JB Weld mixed up and dump them down the seat tube. Then put your seat post in (plug the end so the middle doesn't fill with the epoxy) and turn the bike upside down to dry. You will not be able to adjust your seat height ever, but the epoxy should fill in the gap between the seat post and the seat tube and and transfer the stress to the whole seat tube. I would use a gravity dropper seatpost which would allow you to adjust on the fly and then if you want to switch it to a new bike you just have to buy the new lower post assembly.
    So, that is my solution. If you give it a try let me know. I'd like to see how it turns out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Good idea with the jb weld I already have the holes in so I'm going to give that a try .

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dpugh5 View Post
    So this weekend I found a gary fisher genesis 2.0 at a swap. The frame is cracked at the seatpost but I'm sure I can fix it. I never had a Gary fisher bike before so I have some questions. Do the frames have a lifetime warranty if so is it worth while to try and contact trek for a replacement frame ? Does anyone know what kind of aluminum tubing is used. Has anyone had any luck welding a cracked aluminum frame ? I'll post some pictures as soon as I can .
    Did you buy it at the trexlertown swap ?? if so how was the turn out and was there a ton of good deals ??

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    T town was nice there was a good bit of road bike stuff but it was worth the trip i found a basically new k-force crank for under 300 . So all in all I found what I was looking for at least

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    As an aluminum/stainless welder for a profession, I'd strongly advise against jb weld.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Federline View Post
    As an aluminum/stainless welder for a profession, I'd strongly advise against jb weld.
    what would you recommend

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    An ac tig weld. Quench right after, probably have to cut the weld out and make the entire weld over again.

It can be re-anneled (heat treated) but Id skip it an see how it goes

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thinking to myself after the post, if you strip the bike down to frame only, preheat it first. Over 400 then the weld won't crack or get weak in the zone

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

does anyone no why the mongoose fireball 26 is called a kids bike on even cycles i was going to get it but if called a kids bike i am not
    Last edited by john16; 09-29-2012 at 05:34 AM.

The White Jeff W
    Does anyone know why John refreshed a year old thread about a broken Gary Fisher frame in the 29er forum to ask about a 26" Mongoose dirt jump bike?
    No moss...