mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Cracked carbon: Specialized 2011 Epic S-Works

I bought a used Epic S-Works and it turns out it had a crack in it. The crack is tiny and almost looks like a scratch but it is def a crack (had several people look at it).

When you put pressure on it you can see it shift and you cant feel the lines through the clear coat like it would feel if it was a scratch.

The frame also got banged up in shipping and the hose for the shock is leaking (has the remote brain). I was told by a Specialized dealer that they where told that if I have the shock rebuilt for a charge that they will fix repair that tube for free.

But that still leaves me with the crack. Its in the triangle and I could possibly replace the triangle with an aluminum one. I see them pop up on ebay occasionally.

Your probably wondering why would I want to even do that? Well I do really want the bike and if the seller is willing to refund some money then maybe I will just hang onto it and fix it? Or give the carbon a chance until it eventually fails completely. I was told "it will fail". However if the seller is refunding a decent amount then maybe its worth it.

Anyways... I bought the bike for ~$1000 shipped. At a minimum he has to refund the bike, original shipping, and return shipping. However if we work something out as a partial refund then thats different and also final.

So Im a bit hesitant...

Crack is between the tape

This is where some oil came from. The brain does not function, meaning the brain does not lock the shock out (easy to test).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Carbon can be fixed. Look for someone local that might help you out (I know where I live some people have had their carbon repaired by people who work on kayaks and canoes). That said, you were sold a defective product, and I think it is worth considering just getting all your money back and looking for something else.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Carbon can be fixed. Look for someone local that might help you out (I know where I live some people have had their carbon repaired by people who work on kayaks and canoes). That said, you were sold a defective product, and I think it is worth considering just getting all your money back and looking for something else.
    I dont disagree with you. I can honestly say i doubt the guy did it on purpose and there is a tiny chance it is shipping damage but I doubt it.

Almost certain the shock is shipping damage though because the box is messed up near where the brain was and i think it tugged on that line.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    That's fixable, and for a $1000 bike to require some work is pretty understandable - get it fixed up and that'll be a great find.

Warrior's Society
    If it happened in shipping.....file a claim. This is why all my sold bikes get insured for the retail replacement cost.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    If it happened in shipping.....file a claim. This is why all my sold bikes get insured for the retail replacement cost.
    Have you ever filed a claim? What happens? Do they keep the bike? Do they give you money to repair it?

I know lots of people who filed claims and the shipper just said nah you didnt pack it well enough.

I don't want to give the bike up to the shipper just for a refund.

He only insured it for the sale price of $1000. If they keep it and give me $1000 id rather not

SPECIALizED
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by drag_slick View Post
    Definitely the best option. It will be good as new.

Formerly of Kent
    Stronger than new, from what I've seen.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Givmedew View Post
    Have you ever filed a claim? What happens? Do they keep the bike? Do they give you money to repair it?

I know lots of people who filed claims and the shipper just said nah you didnt pack it well enough.

I don't want to give the bike up to the shipper just for a refund.

He only insured it for the sale price of $1000. If they keep it and give me $1000 id rather not

Have had it happen both ways....once they covered the damages and I kept the bike, the other time they paid me for the total replacement and they took it.

Insurance on shipping is useless if you don't insure it for the actual cost of the item.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'd say file the claim, see if it makes more sense to just repair it. It sounds like it's insured for more than the cost to get it fixed, or even replaced appropriately, so you have good options.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    nice information
    thanks all

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Cracked carbon: Specialized 2011 Epic S-Works

Do any of you have experience with these cracks though? Would you agree with the "professionals" I took it to?

About it being a crack in the carbon not some other issue. At first I didn't think it was a crack because of the odd look but I was told UD doesn't look the same when its damaged as I may be used to seeing. I was also told that UD can not cope wit imperfections or damage as well as weave.

Thoughts?