mtbr member

Cove Hummer 29er! (Well, not quite)

Now that I have real singlespeed 29er, I needing something to do with my trusty old 26er Cove Hummer Ti frame. How about some 700c wheels and cyclocross tires? This bike has been through MANY different variations over the years (geared hardtail, SS hardtail, SS rigid, SS rigid 69er, 3 speed rigid 69er), but I am pretty excited about this one.

I bought some cheap road wheels from Nashbar, finally found a Kelly rigid fork in the Netherlands (thanks Alesandro!) and a set of FMF BMX brakes for the rear on E-bay. Right now the tires are 38mm Ritchey Mount Cross that I had lying around, but I will probably put a 42mm tire on the front soon. Clearance in the rear triangle is pretty good, and I might be able to squeeze a 42mm in there also, but clearance for the back brake is a little tighter. I originally was going to use one of those Mavic brake adaptor thingies, but it would not clear the tire. I then read about the FMF brake on the SS forum and ordered one. It has about 2" of brake pad adjustment, and reached the 700c rims no problem. I just dialed back the cable pull on the Avid levers, and it feels just fine.

Maiden voyage was last Saturday, and it went very well. rode to my local rail trail, and then found some singletrack off of that that I did not know existed. I will be using it for mixed road/trail rides and for commuting. There are a couple of trail networks I can take on my way home from work, so this bike will make the ride home very fun. A couple of pictures below, enjoy:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Awesome!

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I can't tell the clearance under the fork, or around your seat stays, but if those tires are 38c, you might like to try if you can squeeze in a pair of Panaracer FireCross 700x45c tires in there. They're absolutely superb tires.

Also, I'm totally digging those FMF brakes - would you please help provide more info on them, link or otherwise?

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    I can't tell the clearance under the fork, or around your seat stays, but if those tires are 38c, you might like to try if you can squeeze in a pair of Panaracer FireCross 700x45c tires in there. They're absolutely superb tires.

Also, I'm totally digging those FMF brakes - would you please help provide more info on them, link or otherwise?
    http://fmfbmx.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

mtbr member

Here is a link to manufacturer of the brakes: http://fmfbmx.com/Merchant2/merchant...tegory_Code=BR

And this is who I bought them from: http://cgi.ebay.com/FMF-bmx-CNCd-V-B...QQcmdZViewItem

I used everything except the brake lever, just hooked them up to my Avids.

Concerning the tires, the front fork is a Kelly 435mm 29er, so I could fit any tire I wanted in there. But I will be using this bike for road as well as offroad, so I want something that will still roll pretty well on pavement. Clearance in the back is tighter, especially at the brake cable, which seems to be the only drawback to the FMF brakes. I have a set of Ritchey ZED pro 700x42 tires on the way, so I may try them front and back to see how it works.

Mark

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

I like it, I like it a lot!

Very nice build, enjoy

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Looks like you could fit a normal 29er tire in that front end. Lots more cush!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Looks like you could fit a normal 29er tire in that front end. Lots more cush!
    I could definately fit a real 29er tire in the front, as the fork is a Kelly 29er fork. But I will be commuting on it and would like to keep it rolling pretty well on pavement. Also, I don't want to raise up the front too much more with a big front tire.

Mark

Sofa King We Todd Did
    How's the brake feel on those FMF brakes? Do they feel squishier, harder, same as regular v-brakes? I'm curious to know if the repositioning of the pads makes for a different brake feel.

Witty McWitterson
    Those Ritchey tires are really nice. I'm betting you'll like them a whole bunch. They're great at gravel, and work well on smoother, less technical singletrack.
    Just a regular guy.

try driving your car less
    it's a (gasp) hybrid bike!

looks awesome. upright flat bar bike with tires somewhere between road and mtb (cyclocross) makes it basically a great hybrid bike. i have something similar in the works.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    How's the brake feel on those FMF brakes? Do they feel squishier, harder, same as regular v-brakes? I'm curious to know if the repositioning of the pads makes for a different brake feel.
    I only have one ride on them, but they feel like normal V-brakes. I am using some Avid levers have the adjustable cable pull, I think they call it Speed Dial. It basically adjusts how much cable is pulled for a certain amount of lever travel. I adjusted them to the lowest setting, pulling the least amount of cable, and it seems to work well.

Mark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    it's a (gasp) hybrid bike!
    But it's a COOL hybrid bike! Oh yeah, and it's titanium!

Lets see what you are working on.

Mark