Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Please show us pics of the tire clearance for both the fork and the rear end with the sliders slammed all the way forward. I find that on my Krampus the tire clearance with the wheel slammed forward is pretty weak.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JYB View Post
    Please show us pics of the tire clearance for both the fork and the rear end with the sliders slammed all the way forward. I find that on my Krampus the tire clearance with the wheel slammed forward is pretty weak.
    As you can see both the front and the rear clearance is tight, but there is no rub. I have the Knards on Derby Carbon 35mm rims with a tire width measurement of around 2.99.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails This could be the one....-gnarvesterclearance.jpg  

This could be the one....-ninerknardclearance.jpg  

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    mtbmxer,
    Thanks for the pics! Would you say that there is more, less, or about the same clearance than the Krampus with the wheel slammed forward. Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I'd love to have a bit more room than what is on my Krampus. I've also been eyeballing those Derby rims. Seems like a perfect choice. Keep us posted on the performance of those wheels. Nice ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JYB View Post
    mtbmxer,
    Thanks for the pics! Would you say that there is more, less, or about the same clearance than the Krampus with the wheel slammed forward. Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I'd love to have a bit more room than what is on my Krampus. I've also been eyeballing those Derby rims. Seems like a perfect choice. Keep us posted on the performance of those wheels. Nice ride!
    The Gnarvester clearance is about the same as the Krampus. I've been on the rims for a couple of months now and so far so good. They built up really well and have remained true. Probably going to get another set to build up an ultra-light wheelset for it.

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Looks like you both are going with the Niner carbon fork. Just curious if either/both of you considered going with the Carver carbon forks? Did A/C measurements make a difference in the decision?
    Exactly what mtbmxer said...this is the same carbon fork I used on my Krampus.
    I do have my 120mm 29er Fox that I ran on my Krampus also.

I'm really thinking about putting on soon so I can really let it run
    What is thy bidding, my master.

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2times View Post
    Great Pics and very lovely bike 1X1 !

Where were those pics taken at?
    A local fireroad/trail right by my house called Skyline.

You gain about 1800ft in a handful of miles and then there is adjacent single track almost all the way back down. One of my favorites to try a new bike out!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

This could be the one....

Surly is supposed to come out with the Dirt Wizard: 2.7" with a more aggressive tread

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic-20 View Post
    Surly is supposed to come out with the Dirt Wizard: 2.7" with a more aggressive tread
    Yep, looking forward to that tire and of curious to see what other offerings there may be in the near future.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Both Vee Rubber and Bike's Direct have announced that they are making a 29x3 tire. We'll see if those materialize.
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Mine arrived on Tuesday. Pretty excited to get it built. I have to do some minor part swapping between a couple of bikes to get them ready to sell. My build is actually going to be pretty similar. Minor changes here and there.

You mind sharing what you did to setup your wheels tubeless? I built my front wheel the other day. I used Stan's 28mm tape with two runs overlapping in the middle and running bead to bead. While it sealed the rim, the 120tpi tire I put on the front was slightly reluctant to seal at the bead. It did after a little shaking. I am interested to see if/when it is going to burp and at what pressures. I think I am going to experiment with some thicker tape towards the bead, or maybe tape in some rubber rim strips at the bead to help prevent burping and aid in a better seal. I am leaving the front though for sake of experimenting.

Thanks for the photos!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks 1x1, now my girlfriend hates you...because I cannot stop talking about this as my next bike. I had been planning either a VerHauen or a 420Ti as my next SS, but I secretly wanted a fat bike too. I am wanting to build a Gnarvester up as a rigid SS, and I figure the 3" tire and carbon fork/bars should provide enough of a cush ride that it will be comfortable.

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradoxj13 View Post
    Thanks 1x1, now my girlfriend hates you...because I cannot stop talking about this as my next bike. I had been planning either a VerHauen or a 420Ti as my next SS, but I secretly wanted a fat bike too. I am wanting to build a Gnarvester up as a rigid SS, and I figure the 3" tire and carbon fork/bars should provide enough of a cush ride that it will be comfortable.
    Sorry about that lol!
    But SS is going to happen soon, I just wanted to see how it would be as a geared beast first and it has not let me down!

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by ia_ss157 View Post
    Mine arrived on Tuesday. Pretty excited to get it built. I have to do some minor part swapping between a couple of bikes to get them ready to sell. My build is actually going to be pretty similar. Minor changes here and there.

You mind sharing what you did to setup your wheels tubeless? I built my front wheel the other day. I used Stan's 28mm tape with two runs overlapping in the middle and running bead to bead. While it sealed the rim, the 120tpi tire I put on the front was slightly reluctant to seal at the bead. It did after a little shaking. I am interested to see if/when it is going to burp and at what pressures. I think I am going to experiment with some thicker tape towards the bead, or maybe tape in some rubber rim strips at the bead to help prevent burping and aid in a better seal. I am leaving the front though for sake of experimenting.

Thanks for the photos!
    On the rabbit holes rim I ran the ghetto way with the 24" tube filet and the wire bead Knard.
    Now with the Velocity Dually it is one piece of stans tape, 3 scoops of stans and the 120tpi Knard....I am now at 13 psi - 220 lb rider - with no air loss anymore and no burps with lots of rock gardens, rutty descents and braking bumps that never seem to end lol!

Can't wait to see your build

mtbr member
    How do you Gnarvester riders find the BB height? It sounds low from the measurements and I am worried that if I ever wanted to run it as a normal 29er it would be too low.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Cheesiest
    Dope bikes!
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_ss View Post
    How do you Gnarvester riders find the BB height? It sounds low from the measurements and I am worried that if I ever wanted to run it as a normal 29er it would be too low.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    I've definitely been curious about this...I am debating building up a transformer/gnarver to be able to switch between:

1. SS and 1x10
    2. Rigid and front suspended
    3. 29+ and 29"

I'll probably build it up 1x10 with some mix of race face and XT, with a carver rigid fork, and 29+ knards on hope hubs with velocity dually rims to start (although the Blunt 35s are an option), then add a suspension fork someday in the future when more 29+ options are available. Swapping to SS should just require spacers, a cog, and a chain, and removing the shifter/cable/deraulleur.

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_ss View Post

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    I have not really noticed but I think when I ride it tomorrow I will see if I can get close to pedal strike on some spots on my local trail. With a couple of my VPP bikes you have to watch some of the spots or its unintentional foot removal!

With cornering - which is a big reason I love low BB's - it feels pretty planted but that's with saddle lower and driving the bike hard or as hard as I dare with the tires lol!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Of my six carbon and ti bikes- My Gnarvester is my favorite! I just had to dial in the tire pressure 12 rear/ 10- front and its sooo freakin fastttttttttt!
    Perfect number of bikes (n) + 1

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Very nice looking bikes, how is the 120mm on it?
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

www.cyclng.com

mtbr member
    Thanks 1x1clyde, I would appreciate that.

I got some feedback from Carver via my local supplier saying that it would be best to run a 120mm fork if I want to use it with standard 29er tyres. Will slacken the head tube by 1 degree but maintain bb height. Sounds doable to me, hopefully I won't need to but as this will be my only bike for quite a while I wanted to have the option to mix it up a bit.

American Made!
    A little 29er plus love via my Gnravester
    local loop before heading into work yesterday morning
    enjoy!

https://vimeo.com/87286086

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    1x1clyde, how is the geo of the gnarvester for SoCal. I live in the LA area now, but used to be riding in PA and ME (where that bike is from) and was wondering if it was suited well for out here. Also, what trail/area is that in the video?

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by captnpenguin View Post
    1x1clyde, how is the geo of the gnarvester for SoCal. I live in the LA area now, but used to be riding in PA and ME (where that bike is from) and was wondering if it was suited well for out here. Also, what trail/area is that in the video?
    I've ridden the bike all over the santa ana's, laguna wilderness, OC parks etc and its just fine in a rigid set up.
    By "slamming" the rear tire in as close to the seat tube as I can it really keeps the wheelbase nimble but for steep uphills - if you stand up - you have to hover to keep the rear tire from slipping on our fun loose trails lol
    I am very tempted to put my 120mm fork on for just a bit more slack and some squish but for now I am keeping it rigid.
    The trail is right near my work, called Santiago Oaks Regional Park or Oaks. Been reworked the last couple years and now its one of the favorites!

American Made!
    Some am rides this week on the Gnarvester ala uno gearo

This could be the one....-tikrampus-whiting.jpg

This could be the one....-tikrampus-oaks.jpg

This could be the one....-tikrampus-beeks.jpg

so much fun and kinda brutal as a single speed. Running 32x19 here in socal and I think its time to get a 20t on!

mtbr member
    Very nice 1x1! I'm looking at a similar ti 29+ rom another builder, but with a very similar build spec. Any idea what yours weighs as a SS? Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast