tl1
    Bicyclist

That thing not only rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Z View Post
    or the north face.

...it Northrocks!

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I have always wanted to field a 24hr team that went to a big box store, all bought bikes then did the race on them (after adjustments and tuning and a safety check). I suspect more big box bikes would be pretty haggard after 100+ miles of racing but I suspect this bike would be just fine. Probably do with a wheel truing post race but most bikes of any caliber could use that. Especially in the southern arizona 24hr terrain.
    Some skiers did something similar, they went ski touring in the Canadian Rockies on XC gear they bought at Canadian Tire. (One of our big box stores that sells everything from sporting goods, automotive stuff, small appliances, hardware, etc.)

True North - YouTube

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Nice...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Saw another assembly fail at a local Costco.
    The handlebars were installed upside down and backwards.
    So it looked like it had drop bars, thumb shifters were on the top side, and the front brake was on the right side.
    At least the front fork was facing the correct way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    After giving the Costco bike a good look, I settled on the Diamondback Overdrive 20''. Best of all, the bike shop honored a 20%-off coupon from Sports Authority, which had the same bike for the same price. So this bike came in significantly cheaper than the Costco bike.

mtbr member
    It looks like a decent bike as far as I can tell. I looked at one that was accidentally assembled correctly at the local Costco. But as far as I can tell, it's not necessarily a better deal than a low end LBS special. Having said that, you can't beat the return policy if you're up in the air about getting into MTB.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I actually work for Costco. Although building bikes is not my dept. I wish it was though, because I do see how they go out sometimes. And I know I could set them up better. My co workers are not bike guys, they just want to get their job done quickly. (It gets crazy stocking in the morning)
    What they should do is display one, and keep the rest boxed up for purchase. That way they could be assembled by an LBS.
    But if you buy one, I recommend rebuilding it or take to the shop for peace of mind.
    Otherwise, Costco kicks butt (best job I ever had!)

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The handlebars were installed upside down and backwards.
    So it looked like it had drop bars, thumb shifters were on the top side, and the front brake was on the right side.

I saw the EXACT same thing tonight at our Costco (Newport News, VA). I told someone at the info desk the next time I came in I was bringing my multi-tool-and fixing that thing. She said "OK".

It also had a WTB Rocket V Race (with CroMo rails) saddle. Not too shabby. 17.5" frame only though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well I went back today and flipped the handlebar over proper using my multi-tool I'd brought along. While I was at it, I put the red reflector on the back and the white one on the front like they're supposed to be. I love Costco but they do NOT know how to assemble a bike.

With the bar in the correct orientation, it seemed liked a nice bike (for the money).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Saw one of these last night at Costco myself. Made me want to take My XC6 back and do a little upgrading.

mtbr member
    Just might have to pull the trigger and get one of these just to mess around on. They seem to be speced better than the Walmart or Target bikes and just as good as the lowers models at the LBS for less money too. Might get it to train on since it weights more than what I ride now. If it breaks I'll just return it for another one or my money back.
    29er from now on!!!

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I don't, but a couple of different frame sizes could put more butts in the saddle and provide an alternative to the wallybike, and all for options to the wallybike.
    It's not the way Costco does business. They don't care about Walmart. They go to X manufacturer and ask what the most popular size they sell is and manufacturer says 17.5. Costco buyer says I want five hundred thousand of these with this spec in a 17.5. Costco has a 15% markup from purchase cost so you know this is about an 850.00 bike at your lbs. Almost guaranteed you will never find the exact model anywhere else because it is speced specifically for Costco.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JaSkynyrd View Post
    Saw one of these last night at Costco myself. Made me want to take My XC6 back and do a little upgrading.
    Go for it...

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FX4 View Post
    It's not the way Costco does business. They don't care about Walmart. They go to X manufacturer and ask what the most popular size they sell is and manufacturer says 17.5. Costco buyer says I want five hundred thousand of these with this spec in a 17.5. Costco has a 15% markup from purchase cost so you know this is about an 850.00 bike at your lbs. Almost guaranteed you will never find the exact model anywhere else because it is speced specifically for Costco.

We are aware how Costco does business, the point which you seemed to have missed was that if they chose to offer more sizes it might be an alternative for more people. And that is not an 850 dollar bike at the LBS.

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    No I did not miss it at all. My point is that way of thinking is not in their business model. It's simply something they wouldn't consider doing because they want to sell every last one of them as seasonal merchandise and everything they sell boils down to volume and not fitting specific needs of specific customers. They shoot for upscale value and volume. It's a weird niche only Costco owns. Really the model works because how often are people buying the very best of anything? Only once in a while for something they are passionate about. Most of the time people want good value and a little better than average merchandise. Costco brilliantly fills that market segment and throws in a few truly upscale items here and there for good measure. Anyhow I just don't see that stocking every size would add any additional value to their bottom line and they would probably end up having to clearance less popular sizes wasting floor space for other merchandise at season change.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Addict View Post
    Costco actually sells really good stuff.

I saw a $24,000 gold Rolex for sale there. (yes a $24,000 watch for sale at Costco, go figure) So I don't doubt they would have decent bikes for sale there as well.
    Was it Costco Dubai?

Looks like a pretty nice bike and would be great for commuting. Infact I think I've seen a few of those rolling around my school. And I use to rock through trails (infact came close to setting a trail record) on a K-mart special (couldn't afford Walmart) that I still have and still works.

mtbr member
    Yep. FX4 is right. They're not interested in maybe being an alternative for more people or getting a few more butts in saddles. . they just need to hit a target bottom line on a product as efficiently as humanly possible, and that most often is within a one-size specialty item (bike for example) or many sizes of high volume low cost items (cargo shorts, tidy whiteys or socks for a different type of example) Its just a corporation and a place of employment, not a cyclists purchasing haven unfortunately. That bike however seems to be a rare bargain.
    2014 TallBoy2 C XX1

better than I deserve
    I just put one of the NR 29er bikes together for display this week @ Costco.It`s not bad for the money but I had to fine tune the shifting,complete setup on the brakes and tighten everything on the bike.Even the cable stops and der. and calipers were not tight.Took me about 20 minutes for assembly and set up. I have noticed several of the BMX style with forks backwards on the floor and fixed them.How can somebody do that? There are no bikes in Wallymart or Target that compare to the N.Rock 29er sold @ Costco.These come with mid level Sram and many other name brand parts.

mtbr member
    Walmart has a new dual suspension 29er
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by trailmax View Post
    Saw this the other day while I was at costco. The bike comes with sram x4 RD, shifters, truvativ cranks, and avid bb5 brakes. As we all know suntour is used for the front suspension duties.

I was kind of surprised at the quality of the components and frame. I would have to say the quality is on par with performance bike's Access line of bikes. Also, the suntour fork was, dare I say, smooth and somewhat dampened.

On a side note, I was on costco's site a month ago and they were featuring a 2.3 million dollar 18.88 carat loose diamond so, I'm not shocked over the rolex dealy.
    the frame was as good as performance's Access XCL 9r frame ?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My wife got mad at me when I rode this bike over to her in the produce section last time we were in Costco. I on the other hand, thought it was a great way to get through the store.

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FineNine View Post
    My wife got mad at me when I rode this bike over to her in the produce section last time we were in Costco. I on the other hand, thought it was a great way to get through the store.
    LOL...where is the like button!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Is that front fork serviceable? Oh wait I forgot wal mart has the 90 day return policy. That thing probably wouldn't last a month.

mtbr member
    can't decide to get this one or the DiamondBack Overdrive at Sports Athority. got an email with a coupon for the overdrive for $399. pretty much spec the same as the NorthRock, but $80 cheaper.
    29er from now on!!!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by robpad View Post
    can't decide to get this one or the DiamondBack Overdrive at Sports Athority. got an email with a coupon for the overdrive for $399. pretty much spec the same as the NorthRock, but $80 cheaper.

For 80 bucks, I'd go with Costco. Lifetime return policy and a store that treats its employees well. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'd be pretty skeptical it is the same spec, although I suppose it is possible. Costco's markup is 15%. Most stores can't do that because the numbers don't make sense. Most of the time in retail you need something between 50 and 100% markup to cover floor space, employee salaries, utilities, etc. Coscco doesn't need the high markup because the profit is made with annual membership fees. The 15% covers the cost of doing business items. More often than not you are getting a heck of a deal shopping for most anything at Costco.

NedwannaB

75 posts...

Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I was wandering the halls of my local costco when i saw this:

$479 as I recall. Not too bad of a build.

Makes sense that you can get the bigger wheels along with your 5 gallon vodkas, 200 packs of TP and 12 packs of macaroni and cheese. Everything is just packaged bigger there.
    With all this interwebz quarterback bantering wondering if anyone got one and if it's been working out getting someone new out pedaling a bike on some trails! Just say'n.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member

if gears, freehubs aren't your thing....

Costco still has your back fixies.... one of my sons drawn to the orange model
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails costco 29er.-wp_000057.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hey guys, my dad just bought one in a box Thank God. I'll be sure to take some pics and provide an update folks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    With all this interwebz quarterback bantering wondering if anyone got one and if it's been working out getting someone new out pedaling a bike on some trails! Just say'n.
    Unless someone is rolling on a $5000 hardtail, they don't deserve to be on my trails.
    Negative Reps Please.

Soy Loco

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dihymon View Post
    Unless someone is rolling on a $5000 hardtail, they don't deserve to be on my trails.
    I really can't remember a time I've ever said something rude, or nasty on the internet toward someone. But you sir are a stuck up piece of ****. And I highly doubt you "own" a trail. Most trails I have seen, are open to the public(EVERYONE). I'm for the guy that rolls up on his $100 CL find and beats the living crap out of you.

mtbr member
    ^^ I think he was joking about the $5000 bike and "his" trail.
    29er from now on!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    ^^ unfortunately, not everyone "gets" sarcasm.

If it gets more people biking, I'm all for it!

El Pollo Diablo
    One of my warehouse managers (I also toil in the proverbial salt mines of Costco) picked up one of our 29ers a few weeks ago.
    He's a roadie, but has good things to say about it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I hope he was being sarcastic; if that is the case then I completely apologize for my comment.

--Raleigh--
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbaileychevrolet View Post
    I really can't remember a time I've ever said something rude, or nasty on the internet toward someone. But you sir are a stuck up piece of ****. And I highly doubt you "own" a trail. Most trails I have seen, are open to the public(EVERYONE). I'm for the guy that rolls up on his $100 CL find and beats the living crap out of you.
    lol
    K2 Zed V
    Kona Unit
    Both single speed 26ers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by barnyard99 View Post
    ^^ unfortunately, not everyone "gets" sarcasm.

If it gets more people biking, I'm all for it!
    Yeah, it was sarcasm. I'm not even sure if there are any legit $5000 hardtails. Probably are but I wouldn't know. My truck doesn't even cost $2000.

I was poking fun at some of the bike snobs I've encountered in the cycling community, especially those who go off on box store bikes. I'm just happy to see these little fat kids and adults get off the couch. I don't care if it is on a custom dual suspension or a Walmart OC Chopper bike.

But thanks for the negative rep to the owner of the $5000 mac. By the way we all know the interwebz belong to Al Gore.
    Negative Reps Please.

Soy Loco

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    So I just bought my first mtb, a Northrock xc29. I've done about a months worth of lurking here and other places and finally pulled the trigger. I was going to go the bikesdirect route, but I bought it at Costco so if for whatever reason I absolutely hate riding I can return it. I bought it in the box so that I can put it together myself and go over everything easier. I hope this will be a good first bike for me. If anyone has any questions on how it was packaged, feel, fit, etc I'll try to help since this site has soooo much information on these forums that have helped me. Just keep in mind its coming from a total noob to this.

mtbr member
    ^^^^^ let us know how it turns out. Gotta love bikes on budgets.

Quote Originally Posted by mhix01 View Post
    Wow is right. I don't care what people do with their own money but to own that I hope your plan involves something along the lines of actually going down the north face of Mt Everest.
    Negative Reps Please.

Soy Loco

Tossin the salad.
    I just came across this bike when I joined Costco the other day.

Not bad entry level components

Would not mind stripping the components and putting them on a better frame with full suspension that I like to get.

Here some pics

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Giant Trance

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    One of my buds that I work with has had his eye on one of these. I've been helpfully encouraging him to pick one up; I think he's been slightly jealous seeing me doing my work commute by bike and wants in. For you guys that already have one, do let us know how it works out!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Saw a 29er at WalMart recently. Didn't pick it up. didn't want a hernia. Only pic I have:
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Hi all, for those still curious about the Costco bike, I took my buddy with me on a local trail recently with his brand new Northrock XC29:

We are both very new MTBers and just starting out onto the more tricky climbs, downhills, etc. A couple more pics on the local trails here. I recently got a newish (used) bike as well. He is a snowboarder so his balance and confidence downhill are probably better than the typical newbie (like me). I had done a decent amount of research into components based on things like this site, so I took a look at the parts list before taking the bike out. Seemed good enough to give it a go.

He seemed to like the XC29, even when we struggled in a bunch of sections through the 5 miles of one loop. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but I was initially surprised at the weight-- really wasn't too bad. All in all I think it's a great bike for those just starting into more adventurous terrain because of the return policy. Can't match that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    For $500 it looks just like all the other bikes in that 400-800 price range...

I'd take off the kickstand and beat on it until that crap fork breaks, then take it back and get a new one.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 07-10-2012 at 06:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbaileychevrolet View Post
    I hope he was being sarcastic; if that is the case then I completely apologize for my comment.

Keep it up and he'll raise it to $6,000!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yeah...careful...don't piss him off...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muddytire View Post
    Keep it up and he'll raise it to $6,000!
    After speaking with the President it was decided that we need to give a break to the upper middle class and you only need a $4621.93 bike to ride on my trails.
    Negative Reps Please.

Soy Loco

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dihymon View Post
    Yeah, it was sarcasm. I'm not even sure if there are any legit $5000 hardtails. Probably are but I wouldn't know. My truck doesn't even cost $2000.

I was poking fun at some of the bike snobs I've encountered in the cycling community, especially those who go off on box store bikes. I'm just happy to see these little fat kids and adults get off the couch. I don't care if it is on a custom dual suspension or a Walmart OC Chopper bike.

But thanks for the negative rep to the owner of the $5000 mac. By the way we all know the interwebz belong to Al Gore.
    I completely agree with you. If your bike costs 200.00 or 10,000.00 it doesn't matter if you are out there getting it.

There seems to be some insecure people around here handing out negative rep. It's kind of funny if you ask me. I guess it allows the insecure some power with no accountability. A site I used to help run we only allowed positive reps for this very reason.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I bought one the other day. My initial thoughts are 'very impressive' for the price. I was most impressed with the wtb componets it was sporting. WTB wolverine 2.2 tubeless ready tires, wtb sx17 wheelset, and a wtb saddle. The suntour can be expected for this price range, but it does work and it is a 100mm. The seatpost is a standard one bolt adjustment, and the stem and handlebars do not have a name on them. The grips suck, but that's somthing that can be changed out very easy. It does have sram x-4 componets and a E400 crankset with a KMC chain. It has a 3x8 drivetrain that leaves a little to be desired for a 29er, but it works. I can still hit everything around my parts(middle georgia) in the middle ring. And you are able to come to a safe stop thanks to the BB5's. I weighed the bike in at 33 lbs on the dot w/ pedals, w/ bottle holder, w/ ghetto tire tube chain protector, w/o kick stand.

I am coming from a 26er trek 3900 with a rockshox xc32 fork. Yes I do miss the fork, but this bike was a huge step up. I found myself able to achieve speeds I couldn't before. I could hold the corners alot better, which may be due to the wolverines. I also found myself hitting the 6-12" roots like they weren't there. I was rolling over them without receiving as much feedback from the handlebars. Any how on to the pics.

I got this bike in the box, and put it together. he factory tune on it worked, but half way through the maiden voyage it started ghost shifting up the hills. Took it back home, adjusted the B screw and it's 10 times better now. I've put about 25 miles on it so far and it's doing great. The frame is built like a tank, super stiff, but has great handeling characteristics.

Now this was the last one at the costco I visited, and none of the others were selling it for this price. So here's the truth on how cheap they can sell it.

This review is from somewhat of a newb, so take it for what it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails costco 29er.-img_1914.jpg  

costco 29er.-img_1970.jpg  

costco 29er.-img_1971.jpg  

costco 29er.-img_1972.jpg  

costco 29er.-img_1973.jpg  

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast