Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: costco 29er.

mtbr member
    northrock bikes

do not see the 29er on the website though.

Noli Me Tangere
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    I thought the front brake was on the right side. The photo was kind of dark, I didn't see the bars are turned.
    The bike is layed with the bars turned around.
    Annie are you ok? Are you ok, Annie?

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by trailmax View Post
    On a side note, I was on costco's site a month ago and they were featuring a 2.3 million dollar 18.88 carat loose diamond so, I'm not shocked over the rolex dealy.
    How the hell does a store like Costco get to selling 2.3 million dollar diamonds and gold Rolexes? I thought you could only buy things like that at auctions and super high class Beverly Hills jewelry stores.

Coffins as well? WTF!?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Costco site doesn't have it yet.

I will check it out for a friend looking for a inexpensive alternative.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Addict View Post

Coffins as well? WTF!?

Well.. it's a 1 stop shop store..

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Got my $249 ($50 off) pressure cleaner there last weekend and so far (about 12 hrs), it works great.
    I go every 2-3 weeks and almost always end up buying some stuff I didn't know I needed.....food samples ain't bad either

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Addict View Post
    How the hell does a store like Costco get to selling 2.3 million dollar diamonds and gold Rolexes? I thought you could only buy things like that at auctions and super high class Beverly Hills jewelry stores.

Coffins as well? WTF!?
    I know a little about this because I am into watches. Costco is one of the best places to pick up high end watches and other pricey jewelry. I've picked up two Oris watches from them. They are what is known as a "grey market dealer". Big names like Omega, Brietling, and Oris have "Authorized dealers" You are not supposed to be able to buy these items from anywhere but an authorized dealer so they can control the price. Costco will buy unsold inventory from "Authorized dealers" who cannot sell whatever the item is, against the policy of the brand. Unsold merchandise is supposed to be returned to the company. These high end items are not warranty or repair supported by the brand because they are "flagged" as not being sold via an AD. This is why Costco has their own policy of either return for new, or refund money if unsatisfied with product. The AD's, nor the brands will touch these items if there is a problem.
    It's a good deal really. Omega has already sued Costco once. Costco won. Omegas issue is with their AD's dumping unsold inventory, not ostco buying it.

Sorry to go off topic......

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Great inside story Ghettocop. How many days Costco allows you for a return?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtep View Post
    Great inside story Ghettocop. How many days Costco allows you for a return?
    Forever.....with a receipt.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    very cool. my very first MTB was from costco and was a Motiv. it was a great full XT build, pretty bling for the time. this is a great option

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    I know a little about this because I am into watches. Costco is one of the best places to pick up high end watches and other pricey jewelry. I've picked up two Oris watches from them. They are what is known as a "grey market dealer". Big names like Omega, Brietling, and Oris have "Authorized dealers" You are not supposed to be able to buy these items from anywhere but an authorized dealer so they can control the price. Costco will buy unsold inventory from "Authorized dealers" who cannot sell whatever the item is, against the policy of the brand. Unsold merchandise is supposed to be returned to the company. These high end items are not warranty or repair supported by the brand because they are "flagged" as not being sold via an AD. This is why Costco has their own policy of either return for new, or refund money if unsatisfied with product. The AD's, nor the brands will touch these items if there is a problem.
    It's a good deal really. Omega has already sued Costco once. Costco won. Omegas issue is with their AD's dumping unsold inventory, not ostco buying it.

thx. interesting...assuming you are right which i will also assume

mtbr member
    May 2012
    i saw this one at costco Austin. picked it up to ride it around the isles.... but the fork was on backwards.. good job.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post

Nice bit of info right there!

It makes a lot more sense to me now. Thanks.

I wish I could buy that gold Rolex though.

workin' it Administrator

smarter discount bike companies

(sticker says "Front")

obviously they realize they need a little help with assembly people. Just need a bunch of stickers that say "tighten" now.
    Try this: HTFU

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post

(sticker says "Front")

obviously they realize they need a little help with assembly people. Just need a bunch of stickers that say "tighten" now.

And "lube".

mtbr member
    I have the XC6 and thought it was a pretty decent bike, I saw this xc29 just this past weekend. It definatley has better components, seems like they are trying hard to be a respected DIY bike. I was planning on buying a new bike this fall, this makes the decision harder.

When I bought my xc6 it was assembl;ed by costco, like others there were a few things, the front tire was barely one, that was easy. On the first ride I quickly realized that the handle bars were not tightened down, and I had to re-rout the front brake cable as it was all twisted up. It seems like costco, atleast the ones around here, have heard all the complaints about assembly because the now I see a bike marked display only, and then several boxes. I've seen this a 3 stores around here now, so it seems its a self-assembly bike now, which may be a better deal.

Here is the pic I snapped.

29er
    Apr 2010
    even the display bike is assembled wrong

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cw50must View Post
    I have the XC6 and thought it was a pretty decent bike, I saw this xc29 just this past weekend. It definatley has better components, seems like they are trying hard to be a respected DIY bike. I was planning on buying a new bike this fall, this makes the decision harder.

When I bought my xc6 it was assembl;ed by costco, like others there were a few things, the front tire was barely one, that was easy. On the first ride I quickly realized that the handle bars were not tightened down, and I had to re-rout the front brake cable as it was all twisted up. It seems like costco, atleast the ones around here, have heard all the complaints about assembly because the now I see a bike marked display only, and then several boxes. I've seen this a 3 stores around here now, so it seems its a self-assembly bike now, which may be a better deal.

Here is the pic I snapped.
    Even with "front" stamped on the fork they got it wrong.

I noticed the display bikes too. It used to be that there was a long row of ready to go bikes but now there is just 4 models or whatever. Didn't realize that you had to buy them boxed now. That is a much better concept. Especially since people will probably bring them to a bike shop to have assembled if they don't feel confident. Also explains the "front" on the fork.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am shopping for my first mountain bike. I went to a reputable bike shop and rode entry-level Treks, including a 26 inch and a 29er. I liked the feel of the 29 better -- a Trek Wahoo Disk, at $600. Then I went to Costco and saw this Northrock 29er, and rode it around the store. At $480, I'm inclined to buy the costco bike instead of the Trek. I realize that my $120 savings will cost me the expertise of the bike shop, along with the ability to have the bike tweaked and tuned up as I break it in. But I've got a buddy who really knows his stuff, and for the cost of a decent bottle of bourbon, he will help me put the assemble the costco bike and make sure it's properly tuned.

The XC29 is not up on the Northrock website yet, but the specs include:
    -WTB saddle, grips, tires
    -SRAM x4 shifters
    -AVID BB5 Disk Breaks
    -SR Suntour XCT 29 front suspension
    -SRAM Truvativ E400 crank
    -SRAM X4 24-speed drivetrain

Also, I'm about 6'1'' tall. The Northrock 29er has a 17.5'' frame, which puts the frame about 2'' below my crotch while I'm standing on the ground. The bike shop salesperson said I should have a 19.5'' frame (even on the 29er), which seemed big to me as there was no space between the frame and my crotch while standing. (The bike shop guy generally did not seem to know what he was talking about.) Any advice on the correct size frame for a 29er?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sorry -- the main point of my post was to ask: IF properly assembled and tuned, is this a decent value bike? Is there any other way for me to get into a 29er for under $500?

Note that although costco has zero expertise with bikes, it has the best possible return policy -- essentially no questions asked.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    A 17.5 is about right for someone 5'9"...$120 is not a lot more to pay for a bike that is the correct size... that's about the going rate for a tuneup/assembly.

Trek has spent a lot on R&D to optimize geometry and little stuff like that...what is Northrock's budget?

Regardless, resale value on a Wahoo is likely decent...on a Northrock...?? I'm guessing not so much. That's partly where the extra $120 goes.

For larger riders, the GT Karakoram 3.0 is still on sale at BlueSkyCycling.com - GT Karakoram 3.0 29er Bike for $319.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 06-03-2012 at 02:21 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    nice try it out! Walmart sells a 29er also, probley only weighs 35-40 lbs!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I own the Northrock XC6 - Awesome bike! See my previous post, by far a buy - great value. My location does not have a 29er yet, they had the URB which looks awesome for commuting. You can buy the bike in the box, about 95% preassembled. Northrock instructions are very detailed and they provide videos...

Checkout Northrock's videos online:
    Assembly Guide - Northrock XC6 Mountain Bike - by Northrock Bikes - YouTube

Northrock Bike - Shop Talk

I'm really impressed with the higher-end components with awesome frames.

PS: I also like buying my gasoline as Costco... best price in town

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for the input and sarcasm, everyone.

Still considering the Costco bike, but am also thinking about a Diamondback Overdrive from REI, which is basically the same price and seems to have the same basic features. And it's from REI, which probably falls somewhere in-between Costco and LBS in terms of helpfulness.

These seem to be two comparable options for an under-$500 29er.

(I can't post a link to the REI Diamondback, but it's the one on the REI website listed as a 2012 special buy for $459 (reg. $579).

Short-Change-Hero
    The DB Overdrive has been known as a good value bike for a beginner. The X4 components of the NR at Costco is decent for a beginner bike as well.. If you have an REI Membership then go with the DB as you will get points back for it in the end. If not then either will do you just fine. Not the strongest components in the world but, again, good for a beginner. And if you are 6'1" then def go for the 19.5". I am 6' and ride a 19.5" On-One Inbred 29er and it fits me perfect.

Here is the base level DB Overdrive... (Diamondback Bicycles - 2012 Overdrive)
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast