Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: costco 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Great...now I have to start stalking my Costco's each day, looking for the markdown....

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Nice write up. I wish I could find a use for a 17.5" but wife wife is too short and I am too tall.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Interesting price markdown at Costco. The pricing description seems to be way off in regards to what comes on the bike. Truvativ cranks are what actually come on the bike yet the pricing sheet posted says Shimano cranks. The tires are off too. Heads up, spoke with a couple of managers at various Costco's and the ones in my area are $479.99, on discontinued status. Managers at the stores I spoke to pointed out that when an item ends in .00 at a store it is a store management specific markdown and not corporate. You may have been lucky on this one in regards to the sheet specs and the actual specs on the bike.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bbaileychevrolet View Post
    I bought one the other day. My initial thoughts are 'very impressive' for the price.
    That is an awful lot of bike for the money, Bbailey. Well done!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I noticed the spec sheet on the markdown sign was way off as well. I'm not sure if they took the specs from the xc6 or what. But even then the tires didn't match up to the xc6. But any who, I did some research on Costco markdowns, and this one blogger reported that a * in the upper right corner means that store is not getting anymore. I assume this was the last of the 2012 stock for this store, so if you are in the market for one, waiting until it gets down to the nitty gritty and "stalking" them as cz9h3d said may help save you some coin.

Now I'm not sure how they are selling it so cheap.
    Assuming estimate retail prices on these items:
    saddle $50
    wheels $180
    tires $60
    sram x4
    shifters $25
    casette $25
    front derailer $25
    rear derailer $25
    chain $25
    crankset and BB $75
    avid bb5s and rotors $100
    suntour x4 $50
    cables $15
    handlebar $25
    stem $20
    seatpost $25

I come up to $625, not including the frame, some labor, marketing and shipping. (Yes I do know they get to buy these products way cheaper in bulk, but still!!!) This is a cheaper price to components ratio then airborne and motobecane.
    Costco highly publicizes that they do not mark up their products any more than 15%. So if they were selling it at cost $350, then 15% mark up would be $402. Well that's not right so a 15% markup selling it at $480 means the bike cost Costco around $417. I'm not sure what to make of this. I can't see them selling an item that is somewhat popular $67 under cost.

So yes I got lucky and one helluva deal!! But either way at $480 I still think it's a helluva deal.

P.S. I did have to go back and grab the sign off the rack and bring it to the cashier.

FX4
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    They have already made the markup they need so they are just getting them out of the store. Costco's markup is 15%. Discounting five or ten bikes is nothing compared to the 200 or 500 they have already sold.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by FX4 View Post
    I'd be pretty skeptical it is the same spec, although I suppose it is possible. Costco's markup is 15%. Most stores can't do that because the numbers don't make sense. Most of the time in retail you need something between 50 and 100% markup to cover floor space, employee salaries, utilities, etc. Coscco doesn't need the high markup because the profit is made with annual membership fees. The 15% covers the cost of doing business items. More often than not you are getting a heck of a deal shopping for most anything at Costco.
    Actually Costco just covers their costs with no markups on any items in the store. If you have ever looked at their financial statements the money they make off of the membership directly reflects their profit per year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    And thanks to this thread this is my new bike purchase. I've had it for a little over a month and love it so far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Got One

So I only did a little stalking.... Okay, a lot.

One local store had their last bike marked down $10. Nope!

Last Sunday my son and I did a Costco road trip. We found one for $419 at our third store. They told me it was just marked down, and they wouldn't go any lower until it sat for another week. We bought it.

The front brake cable was wrapped around the fork, so we did have to fix that. And we both got an education on how to properly adjust BB5's. A few derailer adjustments, and we're good to go! The X4's could be a little smoother, nut overall very happy. My 13yo son was outgrowing his bike, so I told him this will be "our bike" that he'll probably ride most of the time.

If anyone in SE Michigan is looking, the store at Telegraph and Square Lake has about 6 boxed bikes yet. I'm sure they will be marked down eventually - but it's all about timing.

mtbr member
    there's only two left at the Kendall Costco in Miami. I showed them the picture of the price tag mark down on this thread, but there not lowering the price.
    29er from now on!!!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I was just at the local store here in AZ last week, still had it at 479, but it did have the * in the corner, looked like there were still several boxes sitting there.

I also noticed the XC6 model is now $349, I bought one almost 2 years ago and it was $299.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cw50must View Post
    Yeah, I was just at the local store here in AZ last week, still had it at 479, but it did have the * in the corner, looked like there were still several boxes sitting there.

I also noticed the XC6 model is now $349, I bought one almost 2 years ago and it was $299.
    which local store was that? The costco over by 101 and FLW had it listed for 379 today. I jsut got home from there. Was thinking of picking it up but I just bought a used starter bike for $100 a few days ago....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by IamtheYeti View Post
    which local store was that? The costco over by 101 and FLW had it listed for 379 today. I jsut got home from there. Was thinking of picking it up but I just bought a used starter bike for $100 a few days ago....
    Country Club and Baseline, this was last Wed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    No 29ers at my Costco, but they did have the 26 in both sizes.

The floor model had the fork on in the right direction, but both shifter/brake assemblies had cables like this. If you get one of these, get it in the box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails costco 29er.-costcobike.jpg  

mtbr member
    No offense to anyone working there but there are some real dumb azz's putting these bikes together.
    Mongoose Summit Pro
    Gary Fisher Tassajara
    Motobecane Fantom Trail DS
    Trek 2011 X-Caliber

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am new to this forum, this is my first post but I wanted to share my experience with the Northrock xc29. I have not MTB for 10 years, I decided I wanted to get back into it and saw the xc29 at Costco. After reading this forum I decided to purchase the xc29, actually I purchased two one for my wife also. However I am starting to regret my decision.

Right away we started having a problem with the chain falling off when shifting the front gear from 2 to 1 on both bikes, we were not cross chaining. I spent several hours adjusting the derailleurs. I watched probably over 20 videos on how to make the proper adjustments but the chain kept coming off. I even tried adjusting the B-Set screw using the manufactures ¼ inch recommendation from the largest sprocket. Since I was a novice I decided to take both bikes to a professional. A week later and $120 spent they were a little better but both bikes have had the chain come off a few times each in the last week (15 miles maybe total).

Today I went for another ride and going up a hill the chain snapped. I have never actually had that happen before so I was a little shocked.

Others who have purchased this bike, any issues with your chain? Should I return them both to Costco and maybe spend more money on a better bike or do you think maybe it was just a defect in the chain?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by machdog314 View Post
    ..snip...

Today I went for another ride and going up a hill the chain snapped. I have never actually had that happen before so I was a little shocked.

...snip.. or do you think maybe it was just a defect in the chain?
    A "snapped" chain can be user error. Changing gears under load can snap a chain.

Cross chaining is also not good for a chain.

Occasionally new "quality" chains snap they are faulty, this is rare.
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Costco's return policy may be your best course. KMC chain may help. It shifts cleanly compared to Sram. When you adjusted the front derailleur also slightly angle it front to back aiming the back toward the the bike. The limit screws should keep the chain on when shifting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by machdog314 View Post
    I am new to this forum, this is my first post but I wanted to share my experience with the Northrock xc29. I have not MTB for 10 years, I decided I wanted to get back into it and saw the xc29 at Costco. After reading this forum I decided to purchase the xc29, actually I purchased two one for my wife also. However I am starting to regret my decision.

Right away we started having a problem with the chain falling off when shifting the front gear from 2 to 1 on both bikes, we were not cross chaining. I spent several hours adjusting the derailleurs. I watched probably over 20 videos on how to make the proper adjustments but the chain kept coming off. I even tried adjusting the B-Set screw using the manufactures ¼ inch recommendation from the largest sprocket. Since I was a novice I decided to take both bikes to a professional. A week later and $120 spent they were a little better but both bikes have had the chain come off a few times each in the last week (15 miles maybe total).

Others who have purchased this bike, any issues with your chain? Should I return them both to Costco and maybe spend more money on a better bike or do you think maybe it was just a defect in the chain?
    derailleur issues are probably just because it isn't set up right or user error. even cheap derailleurs will work, not as good as nicer ones but they get the job done. not saying you don't know what your doing, because it sounds like you have some experience, but from my experience derailleurs tend to work when they are set up properly.

i bought a 26er from there 2 years ago. i ended up returning it after about a month, but i did have a chain snap on my 3rd ride or so.

chains are only 15 bucks or so, so i would just replace it, ride it some more and then decide what you want to do.

if i were you i would keep them. 2 different bikes of similar quality are going to be a lot more than 2 from costco.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I don't know about the 29er but the XC6 comes with: "KMC lightweight chain for superior strength and durability". Nothing wrong with KMC chains. I have an XC6 and I'm a big guy and I've had no problems with it (other than the XCT fork is a noisy, springy little *****). No snapped chains or chains that fall off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by burnout1121 View Post
    So I just bought my first mtb, a Northrock xc29. I've done about a months worth of lurking here and other places and finally pulled the trigger. I was going to go the bikesdirect route, but I bought it at Costco so if for whatever reason I absolutely hate riding I can return it. I bought it in the box so that I can put it together myself and go over everything easier. I hope this will be a good first bike for me. If anyone has any questions on how it was packaged, feel, fit, etc I'll try to help since this site has soooo much information on these forums that have helped me. Just keep in mind its coming from a total noob to this.
    Im a beginner, but imo at our entry level a bike is a bike. Because if we love the sport im sure we would have no problem opening up our wallets. An at the the mement im loving the sport n next yr ill be dropping the money for a bikes direct bike. You cant beat those prices. My lbs only sales 29rs an only sales specialized. An those components to price cant compare. Just my two cents. Have fun be safe n ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thank you for all the advice. Regarding the comment on user error, that is possible. I did shift into a lower gear going up the hill to make it easier right before it snapped, so maybe that did it.

What I have decided is to return the xc29 with the broken chain and keep the other xc29. My wife has decided she does not like how high the bike is and wants a normal 26 inch bike. I will keep everyone posted on how the xc29 I am keeping works out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    anybody know what standover is on the xc29? thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by oifla View Post
    anybody know what standover is on the xc29? thanks
    i'll answer my own question on this one

was out at a nearby costco and they had a few of these left (full price). standover height is about 31" (didn't have a tape measurer but that's about my max inseam). the bike seems like a good (somewhat heavy) beginner bike. it definitely makes more sense at the sale price.

I am the Tin Man!
    Some good info on here. My wife just had her Cannondale Super V stolen last week (that I built for her) and she doesnt ride enough to justify me dropping alot of cash on a new one so I am going to go check out one of these tomorrow morning. Will be nice to get her back out riding with me again.
    Flyin the TallBoy and the Lynskey...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

I am the Tin Man!
    Costco update: I went to the one by my house and looked at the floor model, it had a broken rear derailler, snapped right in half. I thought it was my lucky day, went to find the manager, showed him the bike and explained that I would like to buy the damaged bike at a discount price. Win win. He said no. According to him the entire bike was now broken and would need to be destroyed. That seemed incredibly harsh to me and I spent about 15 minutes reasoning/pleading with him to just let me take the bike at a discount but all to no avail, all about liability he explained. I really felt bad, it was kind of like having a pet shop tell you the puppy you want to adopt has a broken tail so he will be put to sleep rather than sent home with you.
    Last edited by grizzlyplumber; 10-16-2012 at 10:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyplumber View Post
    Costco update: I went to the one by my house and looked at the floor model, it had a broken rear derailler, snapped right in half. I thought it was my lucky day, went to find the manager, showed him the bike and explained that I would like to buy the damaged bike at a discount price. Win win. He said no. According to him the entire bike was now broken and would need to be destroyed. That seemed incredibly harsh to me and I spent about 15 minutes reasoning/pleading with him to just let me take the bike at a discount but all to no avail. I really felt bad, it was kind of like having a pet shop tell you the puppy you want to adopt has a broken tail so he will be put to sleep rather than sent home with you.
    Lol they will send it back, the manufactore will repair an send it right back lol

mtbr member
    Costco actually does that. My buddy used to deliver Hot tubs for them and since they pretty much take anything back, when someone would want a replacement, they sent out a new one and pretty much drove a fork lift through the almost new one that had been returned. My buddy would say he would buy them from them (most of the time there wasnt really anything wrong with it that could be fixed for like a few bucks) and they would shoot him down and put them in the dumpster.

mtbr member
    maybe you can sit by the dumpster and fish it out before they destroy it

I am the Tin Man!
    Quote Originally Posted by cman8 View Post
    maybe you can sit by the dumpster and fish it out before they destroy it
    Kind of thinking this same thing, gonna drive by at night a couple times a week after hours and see if I can't get lucky.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Found them for sale here in Wa for $299.

Could not pass it up. Happy with my purchase.

mtbr member
    My neighbor who wants to get more into biking just bought one, seems decent for the price.

I am the Tin Man!
    So I tried the dumpster raid but they have all of their dumpsters behind locked gates. Tried to reason with one of the guys working there and he said they would drive a forklift over it first, then stick it in the dumpster, and he would be fired if he tried to let me grab it.

mtbr member
    My local Dick's Sporting Goods store has a 2013 Diamondback Overdrive V for $399.
    The formed downtube is masssive (to me). It's matte black and I think it had Shimano parts.
    I'll take another look this weekend and get pics. I really like that frame. Has disc brake mount in rear.
    Diamondback Bicycles - Overdrive V

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I love Costco but sometimes they seem crazy. Running over perfectly functional bikes instead of selling it off cheap and the way they take back ANYTHING. It's crazy. You see all kinds of big-screen TVs in the return line the Monday after the super bowl. Just say "no" sometimes Costco. And sometimes say "yes" to busted bike buyers!!

I am the Tin Man!
    Quote Originally Posted by mhix01 View Post
    I love Costco but sometimes they seem crazy. Running over perfectly functional bikes instead of selling it off cheap and the way they take back ANYTHING. It's crazy. You see all kinds of big-screen TVs in the return line the Monday after the super bowl. Just say "no" sometimes Costco. And sometimes say "yes" to busted bike buyers!!
    I agree with this. The guy kept falling back on "liability, liability." So I guess we could blame all of the lawyers.

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by chairthruster View Post
    Costco still has your back fixies.... one of my sons drawn to the orange model
    Cool, Big Shot Bikes from Fort Collins.
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    +1 on checking spoke tension. I got one of their Motiv brand bikes years ago and the wheel un-trued itself after the first ride. I didn't know how to true wheels back then but the nice thing about Costco (Price-Club at the time) is that they will let you return almost anything.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Or both...(I mean both North Face and Specialized suing them...) -- I really like Costco but selling bikes there is a bit over the top. They do well partnering with Car manufacturers to get promotions. Should do the same with bike manufacturers rather than selling off-brand bikes.

mtbr member
    I saw a Blue Matte DB Overdrive V at another Dick's in town.
    It looks as good as the black. It's available on Amazon for cheaper.
    I may pull the trigger on this and slowly replace some parts.

Rogue Exterminator

Bonking ... not feelin' well

I had the DB OD prior to my current bike.
    It was my first bike and didn't care for it but didn't know why until I got my current bike.
    I paid $459 for my OD but it came with disk brakes too.
    Ran the bike in to a tree, not a very hard impact and the frame broke.
    When riding and jumping, the bike never really installed confidence and I always felt it would give.
    My current bike is also an entry level Marin Bolinas Ridge that I paid $479 for and the components are a lot nicer and the bike feels solid.

It doesn't surprise me the DB OD is in Costco, I rate it right there among Walmart bikes.
    If you plan on doing gravel roads, the bike is fine but if plan on doing any tougher trails, I would look for a better bike.

Just my $.02

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocop View Post
    I know a little about this because I am into watches. Costco is one of the best places to pick up high end watches and other pricey jewelry. I've picked up two Oris watches from them. They are what is known as a "grey market dealer". Big names like Omega, Brietling, and Oris have "Authorized dealers" You are not supposed to be able to buy these items from anywhere but an authorized dealer so they can control the price. Costco will buy unsold inventory from "Authorized dealers" who cannot sell whatever the item is, against the policy of the brand. Unsold merchandise is supposed to be returned to the company. These high end items are not warranty or repair supported by the brand because they are "flagged" as not being sold via an AD. This is why Costco has their own policy of either return for new, or refund money if unsatisfied with product. The AD's, nor the brands will touch these items if there is a problem.
    It's a good deal really. Omega has already sued Costco once. Costco won. Omegas issue is with their AD's dumping unsold inventory, not ostco buying it.

Sorry to go off topic......
    With the price of gold and silver it wouldn't be surprising if there were much more unsold inventory from smaller jewelrs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Rocker View Post
    +1 on checking spoke tension. I got one of their Motiv brand bikes years ago and the wheel un-trued itself after the first ride. I didn't know how to true wheels back then but the nice thing about Costco (Price-Club at the time) is that they will let you return almost anything.
    I sill have a Motiv around, its what I use when riding along the canals.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Ran the bike in to a tree, not a very hard impact and the frame broke.
    I'm guessing a CroMo frame is better suited for unanticipated impact.

My current bike is also an entry level Marin Bolinas Ridge that I paid $479 for and the components are a lot nicer and the bike feels solid.
    I will add the Marin to my ever-growing frame list. Thanks for the input, it helps me decide.

It doesn't surprise me the DB OD is in Costco, I rate it right there among Walmart bikes.
    Sorry for the confusion, the DB is at Dick's. I was merely providing an alternative to OP's Costco choice.
    ...tires sing, mud flies, dust settles, faces smile...

banned
    How does it compare to a Mongoose, they are the most rad bike EVEH!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Here's my BD Overdrive..couldn't pass up the amazon price of $349. a few weeks ago. It's a very decent, entry level bike fully worthy of any upgrades when I wear them out. Pic is before I installed platform pedals and now have 3 trail rides and got it dirty! Happy here in N. Cal...especially since my SS/Rigid 29er was beating my senior aged body.
    Amazon.com: Diamondback 2012 Overdrive 29'er Mountain Bike (Black): Sports & Outdoors
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails costco 29er.-100_1347edit1.jpg  

I like big bars and I cannot lie

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jimx200 View Post
    Here's my BD Overdrive..couldn't pass up the amazon price of $349. a few weeks ago. It's a very decent, entry level bike fully worthy of any upgrades when I wear them out. Pic is before I installed platform pedals and now have 3 trail rides and got it dirty! Happy here in N. Cal...especially since my SS/Rigid 29er was beating my senior aged body.
    Amazon.com: Diamondback 2012 Overdrive 29'er Mountain Bike (Black): Sports & Outdoors
    That is a nice looking DB, in fact DB has hired Cervelo's old engineer to design some of their bikes.

Ride More, Work Less
    From my local Costco --three sizes available.

costco 29er.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357484441.487716.jpg
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    From my local Costco --three sizes available.
    No warranty if you buy a Cannondale from Costco, should that be a factor for anyone:

Cannondale shuts off distributor over Costco sales | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    No warranty if you buy a Cannondale from Costco, should that be a factor for anyone:

Cannondale shuts off distributor over Costco sales | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News
    I understand their actions about shutting off the distributor who obviously broke their contractual agreement with Cannondale.

However, not warrantying the bikes sold at Cosco is a mistake and not really right.
    Cannondale still built the bike and if their product is good, they should be more than willing to warranty it no matter who it is sold through. Not the consumers fault that a distributor wrongfully sold these bikes to Cosco. Isn't Cosco's fault either for that matter.

Sad thing is, the average person buying these bikes will probably never know that there is no warranty until it is too late.

BOO on Cannondale as you still built the bike.

Ride More, Work Less
    A Costco bike is best for somebody that has other bikes and knows basic bike maintenance skills. Warranty is irrelevant as you can return it for cash if needed. As for Cannondale, they are happy to still have the lights on but they need to broaden distribution channels if they are going to regain any of their former glory.

I do like how that article cites this thread

I am the Tin Man!
    I understand their actions about shutting off the distributor who obviously broke their contractual agreement with Cannondale.

However, not warrantying the bikes sold at Cosco is a mistake and not really right.
    Cannondale still built the bike and if their product is good, they should be more than willing to warranty it no matter who it is sold through. Not the consumers fault that a distributor wrongfully sold these bikes to Cosco. Isn't Cosco's fault either for that matter.

Sad thing is, the average person buying these bikes will probably never know that there is no warranty until it is too late.

BOO on Cannondale as you still built the bike.
    There is a lot more than the fact that cannondale built the bike, they are being assembled by people famous for installing forks backward and other Bone headed moves. If cannondale did warranty them they would also be making themselves liable for assembly mistakes. I think cannondale is right to disown them.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyplumber View Post
    There is a lot more than the fact that cannondale built the bike, they are being assembled by people famous for installing forks backward and other Bone headed moves. If cannondale did warranty them they would also be making themselves liable for assembly mistakes. I think cannondale is right to disown them.
    Then warranty the bike if only put together by a certified bike mechanic.

Of course that will pretty much negate most of the cost savings but that is on them.

Ride More, Work Less
    This is probably a case of grey market goods and old inventory that a distributer purchased in bulk out of a warehouse. Costco is essentially reselling the bikes (second sale). In this case, it is completely acceptable for Cannondale to not offer the warranty. Costco knows this and this is a part of the reason they have such a generous return policies.

El Pollo Diablo
    Generous return policies is putting it lightly, we'll take back just about anything.

As for how much stuff we destroy, it's not entirely cut and dry...
    often we can get much of our money back from the vendor or sell to a third party salvage operation...
    both cases allow us to avoid the liability that might ensue from us selling at a discount or fixing ourselves
    (even in the most common of cycling scenarios, some idiot returns a bike because it's not shifting well... because they can't handle two Derailleur screws... we usually scrap it.)

Disclaimer: I'm not even management level, so the 'we' in this case refers much more to those who sign my checks than to myself personally... were it my call we'd be much more strict about returns.
    Wait, your ten year old lawn mower stopped working? We're NOT refunding you.
    /rabble rabble

mtbr member
    Costco has a better warranty than cannondale anyway. If it breaks or you don't like it, just take it back and get a refund. No questions asked.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakman View Post
    Costco has a better warranty than cannondale anyway. If it breaks or you don't like it, just take it back and get a refund. No questions asked.
    Didn't know that. Never had one near me so I have never shopped there.

However, REI is the same way with their stuff.
    Lifetime satisfaction guarantee that trumps all manufacturer warranties so I could really care less what the warranty is on anything I buy there.

mtbr member
    A co-worker of mine bought a mattress from Costco. Slept on it for a year and then returned it. She said next she is going to try and buy a car through them and return it. I am not sure she was kidding.

I do think it is a little messed up when people take advantage of no questions asked return policies. I went to one of REI's garage sales recently and saw a well used Yakima roof rack system. Nothing on it was broken, just aged and weathered. I got the impression the previous owner brought it back when they bought a new car.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hi Everyone -- I've been lurking for the past few months on this board, and thought I'd jump in here...

I just got back into mountain biking after a 15 year hiatus ... had sold my old bike and all my previous gear, and so I had to start from scratch. With 2 active kids and their activities taking priority, my budget for getting back up and running was limited ... my daughter is a figure skater and so dropping $1,000-$1,500 on a new bike was just not gonna happen, as that's what her skates cost, and she outgrows them each year.

All of this to say that when it came to looking for a reasonably solid bike for a good price, I compared the Northrock to similarly equipped bikes and as others have pointed out, the Northrock compares quite favorably -- for bikes that are $300-$400 more. I bought the XC6, which was the only model Costco stocked at the time of my purchase (Mid-Oct). I did the basic assembly of the bike out of the box, but because I had gotten rid of all my old tools, I decided to have a local bike shop do a full tune-up for $45... Since Mid-October, I've ridden over 400 miles on a variety of terrain -- various degrees of difficulty, and it is a solid bike. I would recommend this bike with no hesitation, with the recommendation that it be tuned by an professional bike mechanic. I liked this bike so much that I bought a second XC6 for my son for Christmas, and he's put about 80 miles on it for the month he's had it.

Since I haven't seen the 29er for sale for the past few months, I called the company just to ask if they had plans to put out a new model ... this morning Robert from Northrock called me back and told me that Super Bowl Sunday is their target for shipping the new XC29 model to Costco. He said the company acknowledges that models on display in the Costco stores are often incorrectly assembled by store employees, which is something that they can't really control. He concurs that the thing to do is to purchase a boxed bike and take it to a professional bike shop for assembly/tune up.

Once again, I am happy with my experience with the Northrock so far, and would recommend without hesitation. I've owned/ridden GT and Trek Hardtails in the past and this bike compares very favorably to my recollection (15 years ago) of how those bikes performed. I have not ridden a 29er yet, and I'm flirting with the idea of upgrading sometime this year. I am open to any questions/suggestions or feedback...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Sorry to dig up this thread again but I wanted to ask...

I've recently got into bicycles and I already have a commuter-hybrid and a road bike. I guess there are some decent mountain bike trails near here and I thought it might be fun to check them out some time. The Costco in my town is selling these Northrock XC29 bikes for $250 right now. Is that a can't-afford-not-to-buy-it price, or am I better off biding my time and seeing if I'm still interested in offroading later?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ShartRate View Post
    Sorry to dig up this thread again but I wanted to ask...

I've recently got into bicycles and I already have a commuter-hybrid and a road bike. I guess there are some decent mountain bike trails near here and I thought it might be fun to check them out some time. The Costco in my town is selling these Northrock XC29 bikes for $250 right now. Is that a can't-afford-not-to-buy-it price, or am I better off biding my time and seeing if I'm still interested in offroading later?
    That is an outstanding price so I would say get it. The component set alone you couldn't touch on another bike for less than $700. I just bought an XC29 used for that price and I must say that as my first 29er, it is a total blast! If you're going to dabble in off roading, you can't do much better at that price. Depending on whether you get totally hooked on off-roading and decide to upgrade to something higher-end, or this becomes an occasional diversion from your road biking, I think you'll find that the Northrock is a pretty good value.

Jan 2008
    Two hundred and fifty bucks for a 29er with those comps is a "can't miss." It's far from the best bike ever, but you really can't go wrong. It's more than good enough to get the job done, but cheap enough that there's no buyer's remorse, even if you decide trail riding isn't for you or if you decide you want a better bike.

Honestly, I have a great bike, but it's a 26er. I'd buy that CostCo 29er if it were that cheap here just to have something else to play with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Re: costco 29er.

Guess I might have to head back there tonight and check it out then... I imagine that I could swap out things like the fork fairly easily anyway, right?

Jan 2008
    A quality fork will cost as much or more than the bike. I'd say be happy with the stock build and ride it like you stole it. Learn the trails, develop skills, and save your money for something better.

Still, that's an excellent "starter" bike--it's a lot for the money. You really couldn't go wrong as long as it fits. Just be sure to have someone who knows what they're doing inspect the assembly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

I've been doing enough wrenching on my other bikes and motorcycles that I'm not too worried about the assembly

And I suppose if I hate it I can always take it back thanks to that Costco warranty...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've been doing enough wrenching on my other bikes and motorcycles that I'm not too worried about the assembly

And I suppose if I hate it I can always take it back thanks to that Costco warranty...
    You have two major things going for you. Costco warranty is a big one.
    But what you want is a bike you can ride on the more difficult trails-- the fun ones. The Suntour fork is not designed for more than easy trails and bike paths. It lacks adjustable rebound damping(pogo) and the internal metal bushing won't take speed and multiple bumps. It is also flexy.
    The second thing is the Suntour upgrade offer. $175 gets you a Raidon air fork from Suntour that will go anywhere and give you the bike to develop good skills on.
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork
    Lok for a review on 5.
    Changing a fork is easy.
    Suspension fork upgrade installation - YouTube

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Your comments on the the suspension make sense... I'm not particularly small either at 250 pounds. That Suntour upgrade is interesting but would almost double the price

I was at Costco tonight and couldn't pull the trigger. I think I realized that it was too heavy to run around town on (since I have better options). And the potential for me to go to the trails often is limited. So I guess for now I have to pass but if someone else wants one check the Coralville Costco!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Your comments on the the suspension make sense... I'm not particularly small either at 250 pounds. That Suntour upgrade is interesting but would almost double the price

I was at Costco tonight and couldn't pull the trigger. I think I realized that it was too heavy to run around town on (since I have better options). And the potential for me to go to the trails often is limited. So I guess for now I have to pass but if someone else wants one check the Coralville Costco!
    Curiously, were they clearing out the 2012 models for $250? They are white, and as far as I know the new forthcoming 2013's are black. The 26" model (XC6) is white this year where last year it was black.

I understand your decision, and I am glad you brought this thread back to life -- I am intrigued with the Suntour fork upgrade offer Nick mentioned earlier. I am also flirting with the idea of upgrading to hydraulic brakes too...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Yup, they were white so would have been last year's model. Interestingly they also had the new hybrids for spring today.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Costco's warranty is a big plus, it's similar to Performance Bikes. I see them at the local Costco in LA, however they do not come in XL for the 6'+ crowd. It would definetly be a good bike for spending time with the kids, or light trail riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I was at a Costco in CO today. They had the men's comfort bike and XC6 in white, but no 29'er. Given that it's not even on the Northrock website, do you think they discontinued it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Has anyone seen any 2013 Northrock 29ers at Costco?

Ride More, Work Less
    Quote Originally Posted by sdkjr View Post
    Has anyone seen any 2013 Northrock 29ers at Costco?
    Ours has 25 or so still sitting in their boxes. They had 1 out on display that was so poorly assembled it was all I could do to walk buy it and not try to fix it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I actually did fix one at my Costco. Ours doesn't have any 29ers.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Just fwiw in 2011 Costco had about $89billion in revenue while the entire US bike industry had about $6billion. Costco does what they do very well. For them, selling bikes is just another profit-making endeavor. For us, cycling represents much more.

OK bikes, nice price. Honestly if they factored better assembly into the cost/price model, they may not find bikes as attractive a use of floor space ...

Costco Wholesale - Fortune 500 - COST

Industry Overview 2011 - National Bicycle Dealers Association

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Ours has 25 or so still sitting in their boxes. They had 1 out on display that was so poorly assembled it was all I could do to walk buy it and not try to fix it.
    Do you happen to have the item number? I want my local costco to see if others around me may have it in stock, as the store I normally go to doesn't have it.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    They have it online now.

Northrock Bike - Mountain Bike - xc29

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This would qualify for the Suntour upgrade to an air Raidon fork for $175. Or with a Recon Gold for 240 from Random Bike Parts this would then be a good entry level bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    This would qualify for the Suntour upgrade to an air Raidon fork for $175. Or with a Recon Gold for 240 from Random Bike Parts this would then be a good entry level bike.
    Agree, I rode an XC6 for about a year and a half and the fork was wore out. That would be for sure upgrade.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just an update on this. Talked to my local Costco. They aren't carrying it yet and neither do any of the Costco's in my area (metro Detroit). They will eventually be getting them in but there is not a delivery date listed.

The item number is 910020 and it is priced at $499.99.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the info. I'm not sure it's as good of a deal at $500.

mtbr member
    Bikes are fun... doesn't matter where they come from really. Costco is out to make money just like any other business. You want to buy a bike at Costco, go for it! Just make sure you check the bike over well before you ride it.

There is a good reason why big-box bikes sell. Because the vast majority of people ride bikes for entertainment on pavement in their neighborhood. A trip to the LBS isn't required. Just a little mechanical know-how to check things over.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    pPretty nice bike for??? A noob? Your LBS sells something very similar for what, $600-650? Your LBS will give you support well beyond the simple costco return policy. I guess if thats what you want then great. Lets not act like this is a 2k bike for $500 cuz its not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by thrill32 View Post
    pPretty nice bike for??? A noob? Your LBS sells something very similar for what, $600-650? Your LBS will give you support well beyond the simple costco return policy. I guess if thats what you want then great. Lets not act like this is a 2k bike for $500 cuz its not.
    This was kind of my point. If it was $400, then it's a great bargain. For $500, it's really within striking distance of something entry-level at the LBS.

Old Fart Swamper
    $379 at the Costco near me, Was just there today and gave it a once over.
    Took It off the Hook, was noticeably heavier than my Scott 29er.
    Older Suntour fork, had a lockout OR the damping knob but not both. I have both. but still a Suntour.

I didn't notice anything about double wall rims on the box, I would not want to be without that.
    The gears, brakes and tires were leaps and bounds above Walmart.
    A guy I work with is about to get that very bike. So we shall see.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Anyone see any in San Diego or Orange County? Thanks Bill

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Billinsd View Post
    Anyone see any in San Diego or Orange County? Thanks Bill
    Saw them in San Dimas a few weeks back. You might want to give them a call.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Osco View Post
    $379 at the Costco near me, Was just there today and gave it a once over.
    Took It off the Hook, was noticeably heavier than my Scott 29er.
    Older Suntour fork, had a lockout OR the damping knob but not both. I have both. but still a Suntour.

I didn't notice anything about double wall rims on the box, I would not want to be without that.
    The gears, brakes and tires were leaps and bounds above Walmart.
    A guy I work with is about to get that very bike. So we shall see.
    You sure it was $379? By me, the 26" sells for that price. As I mentioned, my store doesn't have it yet but they told me it is listed at $499.

BTW, the Northrock websites says they are double wall rims Northrock Bike - Mountain Bike - xc29

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nods Dad View Post
    Saw them in San Dimas a few weeks back. You might want to give them a call.
    Thanks I called and they are out. They said they are a new item for this year, but there is no date on when they will arrive. Bill

Old Fart Swamper
    Quote Originally Posted by sdkjr View Post
    You sure it was $379? By me, the 26" sells for that price. As I mentioned, my store doesn't have it yet but they told me it is listed at $499.

BTW, the Northrock websites says they are double wall rims Northrock Bike - Mountain Bike - xc29
    Ok so,,I am getting senile,,LOL the $379 bike I looked at was a '26 Incher'....
    My friend is kinda short, he tried a few 29er's,,,didn't like the fit at all.

mtbr member
    The LBS support thing is valid. BUT... if you have worked for a bike shop you know that labor on maintenance has some one the highest margin items in the business. This is why the Trek Stores of the world support ANY bike brought in.

To me, LBS support is a commodity. Modern bike stores that are smart will work on anything, with a smile. That type of relationship keeps on paying.

Quote Originally Posted by thrill32 View Post
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    costco 29er.-wp_000556.jpgcostco 29er.-wp_000557.jpg

Old Fart Swamper
    I'm glad I do my own wrenchin,,,,

Just sayin.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Not bad...throw a $250 closeout Rock Shox Recon Gold or Silver solo Air fork with a motion control upgrade on that bad boy and you got a 'lil somepin' somepin.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm about to get my first mountain bike. I was at Costco earlier and rode the bike a little. It felt fine to me.

Another bike I was considering is the Giant Revel 29er 0 for $700. Since that's the list price, what can I realistically get the Giant for? I never haggled with a bike store. Is that something they typically do?

It does have slightly better components other than the shock which has 20mm less travel.

Any thoughts on the two? Is the Giant worth the extra $200 (maybe less if I can get them down).

Rogue Exterminator
    The components are give and take.
    The Giant has a slightly better fork but neither fork is good.
    Brakes are the same, shifters and derailleurs are slightly better on the Giant but not much.
    The Northrock has a seat you will most likely prefer and maybe a few other things in its favor. All that being said, neither bike stands out component wise above the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom. View Post
    I never haggled with a bike store. Is that something they typically do?
    Yes and no.
    If you think you are going to go in there and get $200 off a very entry level bike, forget it.
    In fact, I would not count on getting any money off.
    They may toss in a free trinket like a water bottle but more than likely just offer you a discount on accessories bought with the bike such as shorts, helmet, gloves, etc.

Now the question is if buying the Giant for $200 more at the bike shop vs the Northrock at Cosco is worth it.

Well seeing as this is your first bike purchase, I would say definitely.
    Cosco bike is often put together by anyone who pick up a tool.
    (Not always the case but often is) It probably won't be tuned properly and you won't get a free tune up later.

Bike shop will most likely be put together by somebody who knows what they are doing. It will probably be tuned properly and you will usually get a free follow up tuning (some bike shops even offer lifetime adjustments)

That being said, when you figure out all the things the bike shop gives you, there really is not a $200 price difference.

So, ride them both and see which one you like.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Great advice. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Also look at the Airborne Guardian for 675 shipped. It has a RockShox XC28 forkc with trail capability as long as you weigh less than 175 or so. The Suntour fork on the other two can handle bike paths and easy trails. It wasn't designed for speed and bumps you find on fun/difficult trails.
    Costco's lifetime return policy isn't matched by any lbs. After you find the Revel isn't enough bike for trail riding you have to put it on CL like everybody else.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Costco's lifetime return policy isn't matched by any lbs.
    I know it isn't technically a local bike shop but it is matched by REI.
    You also get all the advantages of a LBS there too with a proper build and free tuned up after break in.
    Right now they are having a big bike sale.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Old Fart Swamper
    Ok so you got this bike,,

What happens when you need a part and your LBS says go see who you got it from...

I guess your giving it back to Costco and your back where you started,,,,,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1