Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for all the advice and resources. It gives me a much clearer sense of what the proper technique is for cornering. Also, I think I understand now in that there is no advantage of a 26er verses 29er wheel size because technique can compensate for any physical difference so that cornering can be made successfully on any kind of mountain bike. It makes more sense now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    IMHO a properly fitted 29er is going to be faster most of the time. Just made the switch myself and it handles great. There's a reason modern sports cars run larger diameter wheels. The contact patch is bigger. Once I got used to the added traction in the corners, I found myself just railing the turns. It's definitely a different ride but for me, it's way faster.

One caveat to my experience. The 26er I moved from was a 97 M2 specialized.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    What psi are you running,high psi leads to no grip in corners.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Bikes are no different than skis or skateboards!

Bigger is better at higher speeds. Shorter is better at low speeds.
    Cornering a BMX bike at 50mph would suck, just like road bikes aren't great at walking speeds.

I've taken lessons from a few pros, and they all focus on cornering as the foundation for good bike handling skills. Simon Lawtons vids and classes are excellent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgyglfr View Post
    IMHO a properly fitted 29er is going to be faster most of the time. Just made the switch myself and it handles great. There's a reason modern sports cars run larger diameter wheels. The contact patch is bigger. Once I got used to the added traction in the corners, I found myself just railing the turns. It's definitely a different ride but for me, it's way faster.

One caveat to my experience. The 26er I moved from was a 97 M2 specialized.
    +1, I fully aggree with you. More air in the tire and larger contact patch however, it is also a different contact patch. Instead of being short and fat (2.5" 26" tire) it is longer and narrower which caries less restance and will not float over dirt as much giving it a better Bite.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    I went from a 26 to a 29 both with similar geometry and suspension travel. I can rail turn way faster and easier with the 29. Slow and tight is a snooch more work but by no means a problem. It's all about the skills,hombre.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stencil View Post
    LOL @ "point your pecker".

Great video, btw.
    LOL that was awesome.

J-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2